As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DmC: Devil May Cry - Ignore the OP/outrage, it's pretty damn good.

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    People were mostly raging at ninja theory is because they have never proven to be able to make great combat systems and maintain good 60fps framerate.

Which are all fairly significant for DMC.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really didn't like the look of this. I will say that the trailer makes it look like it might be a decent action game, but it certainly won't be a Devil May Cry game.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My primary concern with Ninja Theory as the developer is that they tend to sacrifice gameplay fluidity for a cinematic feel. I loved Enslaved, but that's a different beast. DMC originated stylish action, if you mess up the combat then you're not really making a DMC game. Everything else is ancillary.

I saw the seeds of some good combat in the trailer, but it's way to early to tell how things will pan out. If you can't out Bayonetta Bayonetta, what's the point?

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "His arm is his dead wife!"

Tell me more. What hilarity is this?

The man has a huge biomechanical grappling hook arm with his own wife's brain inside?

Why?
    Monger wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    . . . So, when we getting a new Devil May Cry game?
    Whenever Kamiya decides to make Bayonetta 2.

Oh yes, yes, yes. Gimme some of that!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fawst wrote: »
    All of this?

It's how I felt when I played the new Bionic Commando.

It still hurts.
    New Bionic Commando is great*. You shut your mouth.

*Assuming you played with Rad Spencer instead of Dreadlock McGrimDark.

Monger on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Well, I dunno. I'm going to guess that DmC doesn't have a plot point where
    your arm is really your dead wife

which already makes it at least 0.23 times better than BC.

(God, is that thing even worthy of being spoiler tagged? Fuck it, whatever.)

His arm is his dead wife!

There, its out there. What if one of notDante's shoes ends up being Virgil?

Tell me more. What hilarity is this?

The man has a huge biomechanical grappling hook arm with his own wife's brain inside?

Why?

Because they wanted to be Metal Gear Solid.

Also, the guy goes around the entire game angrily shouting "WHAR'S MAH WIFE" and then it turns out she was in his arm the entire time, thus creating dramatic irony.

...or Mystery Science Theater 3000-style laughs.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DMC4 Spoilers
    Isn't one of the popular Nero theories is that Nero's arm is Dante's dead brother?

Lars on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I love that game partially because I found the entire ending sequence super fucking hilarious.

I love Metal Gear, too. For reference.

Monger on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The whole thing makes She-Hulk's MvC3 ending (Or was it Bionic dude's?) hilarious and awkward at the same time, because they're on a date.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You guys know me. The only thing I care about is gameplay. I saw the player character grapple an enemy into range, launch him into the air, air combo him. Cool.

Another sequence: dante grapples himself onto a different airborne enemy, combo him, knock him up, grapple him back down, knock him away, then shoot him mid air.

I saw an aoe nunchuck style attack that launched three enemies into the air, followed by another grapple combo, shoot, grapple, combo sequence.

I saw air control: leapt into the air above an enemy, moved horizontally over the battlefield above the enemy with a white weapon trail, then came down with a large fire attack behind the enemy.

I saw helm breakers and aoe ground attacks.

I saw cancels and freeflowing combat.

I saw what I want.

Bought.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    But wait guys! It gets better!

http://kotaku.com/5809795/hollywood-is-making-a-devil-may-cry-movie
    Continuing a "multimedia" promotional strategy that's seen such wonders as the latest Street Fighter movie, Capcom has asked Hollywood production company Screen Gems (part of Sony Pictures) to whip up a Devil May Cry feature film.

It'll be a live-action project, written by Kyle Ward, who has also penned the upcoming (and long in production hell) Kane & Lynch movie adaptation.

Those hoping this will feature the old Dante, sorry. The film will be based on the new Dante design for the upcoming series reboot/prequel, DmC.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    *Capcom* "The fans will love it!

awesome_smiley_photo_sculpture_photosculpture-p153359710604909267qdjh_400_151.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So capcom-based video game movies will continue to be terrible.

Nothing new.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's video game movie. It's going suck regardless of what it's based on.

My feeling on this is the same as every other announcement of a video game movie: Nothing.

Razia on
    blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    To be fair, I'd rather see a movie butcher a character design that I'm not sold on yet over a character design that I like a lot.

Burnage on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I never saw the point in watching a long collection of cutscenes without any gameplay in the middle.

Except metal gear solid.

I went there. Cos its true.

I carefully watched that trailer about five times, stopping n starting to check details. I'm seriously intrigued about what I'm seeing. I don't have any downers about the rest of it that you guys have. Doesn't really matter to me how my gameplay is dressed.

Also I fucking love nero's mechanic so this grappling thing has me really interested. I'm insanely curious to know where you can keep on hooking onto a new enemy in the air during that long air time after you've killed one. It looks like you can but they broke all the sequences apart so its impossible to tell if anything ends the combo. If you can tho... knocking them all into the air and killing them all in the air without touching the ground is going to be my new hobby for a while.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There is a question burning inside my heart.

Who is their target audience?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The male version of Twilight fans?

Walt on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The hipster indie goth punk gamers.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The people who have never played DMC before far outnumber the DMC fans.

Capcom thus decided to appeal to all of the non-fans at once, and they figured that since they are not fans of DMC, the correct way to attract them would be create a game that does not resemble DMC at all.

This logic is foolproof.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can you be hipster and goth at the same time? Perhaps as some sort of hyphenate hybrid? So they wouldn't be "hipster goth", they would be "hipster-goth". They would ironically be mocking goth stuff, but there would be double irony in that they actually like goth and are secretly mocking those who don't like goth because of their prejudices.

It's a demographic slice that's just crazy enough to actually want this shit...

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The new Dante isn't a goth or a hipster.

He's an English punk.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    With a giant fire axe.

A weapon I have never seen before in a DMC game, although I have not played 1.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Here we see Dante singing with his band.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saRtz34PQYk

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    With a giant fire axe.

A weapon I have never seen before in a DMC game, although I have not played 1.

I'll see your fire axe and raise you an electric guitar-scythe that shoots batshields.

DMC3 is the best DMC.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Eh.

Too brooding to be an english punk.

I could see him with joy division though.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I feel like a blind man in a crazy house of mirrors who is finding money on the floor nobody else is noticing they're so busy chattering about "look how wide my ass is in this one."
    It's pretty fascinating.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    All of this?

It still hurts.

You shut your mouth, Bionic Commando was great.

Peewi on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dante's ass is too narrow in this one. :(

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I feel like a blind man in a crazy house of mirrors who is finding money on the floor nobody else is noticing they're so busy chattering about "look how wide my ass is in this one."
    It's pretty fascinating.

Just killing time while waiting to see some more gameplay.

Right now it looks way too damn slow but I dunno if that's just a stylistic choice for the trailer.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm not expressing annoyance, btw. Feel free to hate what you hate. Don't want to dictate to anyone.

It looks slowed down to match the music. It's also heavily edited, skips all over the place. Occasionally they sort of pause the scene and stuff for the beat. (Break apart a sequence with a quick fade to black and back to add time) I think the presentations aim is to make it seem like he's sauntering through the place without really trying very hard because none of the enemies present to him a particularly strong challenge. That's what I got out of it. They're all the same enemy so I'd imagine it's the equivelant of a bunch of scarecrows from DMC4. Or those sloth guys from DMC3 they had in all the trailers since you could combo them for ages and it looked nice.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Which is why I'm saying that I'll judge once I got some more proper gameplay and more details.

I want to see if the rumors about it being an inconsistent 30fps and having limited gun ammo (wut) are actually true in order to see if this will interest me.

Though I tolerated PS3 bayonetta so if the gameplay is fucking fantastic like bayonetta I could probably tolerate the FPS being lower. :P

Antihippy on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's pretty fascinating.

I remember the reaction being similar when the early trailers for Bayonetta came out, except that with Bayonetta anyone who didn't hate it with a passion was labeled a pervert.

Slicer on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pancake wrote: »

He's an English punk.

People who keep comparing this to twilight need to pull their heads out of their asses.

Punk's don't fucking shop at hot topic or sit in the corner and write sad poetry. If you want to insult something at least know what you're insulting.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    All of this?

It still hurts.

You shut your mouth, Bionic Commando was great.
    Me and Peewi, man. We're like this.
    Antihippy wrote: »
    and having limited gun ammo (wut)
    what

Monger on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I look at this trailer, see no Bayonetta and immediately go "Why even play this?"

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »

He's an English punk.

People who keep comparing this to twilight need to pull their heads out of their asses.

Punk's don't fucking shop at hot topic or sit in the corner and write sad poetry. If you want to insult something at least know what you're insulting.

Hey now, proper goths won't go to hot topic.

Hipsters would only go to hot topic and write sad poetry ironically.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, Bayonetta pretty much ruined (in a good way) this genre.

Basically, if the game doesn't contain a very hairy witch being fuckawesome, its hard to give two shits about it.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Man, there is plenty of room in my heart for a great stylish action game that isn't Bayonetta.

It's just that, you know, someone has to make one.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If the god hand franchise comes back into play again, I could give less of a shit for bayonetta.

Or any other beat em' up game really.

Antihippy on