As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Darkness] Red Star shining at WW HQ, heads to roll

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shamus wrote: »
    Picked up Mage: The Awakening today. Fuck this game is cool, and dripping with style.

It's my favorite NWoD game by a mile.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would pay $100 for V:tM story in V:tR mechanics.

Delmain on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am pretty sure there is a conversion book somewhere for much less than that.

MoosehatIV on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A conversion .pdf, but close. It's in this thread somewhere.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2011
    That's what I meant CJ, jeeeez.

But yea, it would be pretty easy to run a Masquerade game with Requiem rules. Which is also something I would totally be down for. Hint hint.

MoosehatIV on
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Picked up Mage: The Awakening today. Fuck this game is cool, and dripping with style.

Actually, your posts on how good it is prompted me to pick it up. Along with the descriptions from the SA forums. :^:

I definitely want to play or even run a game using it. Too many ideas.

Shamus on
  • TunosTunos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I definitely want to play or even run a game using it. Too many ideas.

I'd be interested if my 4e applications fall through.

Tunos on
    edited June 2011
    I'm currently mired in running a Mage game(IRL that is), but I'd still be down for joining one.

Boy does it suck to be an Adamantine Arrow.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

What is Mage about? I have Mirrors and to me it seems to me Humans keeping some Other worldly things locked up and fighting people in general?

Brainleech on
    edited June 2011
    Mage is about people being awesome.

Tunos on
    edited June 2011
    It wouldn't be for awhile, unfortunately. Maybe in the next month or so I'll have things put together. I'll definitely let you guys know, though, once I'm set to go.

I'd like to run a game combining elements of Gaiman (Sandman, Neverwhere, American Gods), the Matthew Swift novels, and Persona. See how it goes, tho'.

Shamus on
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mage is about being so awesome, you rewrite the rules of reality.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Brainleech wrote: »

What is Mage about? I have Mirrors and to me it seems to me Humans keeping some Other worldly things locked up and fighting people in general?

New Mage? There's a fallen realm and a supernal realm, and the abyss separates the two. Magic comes from the Supernal realm, and is used by those in the Fallen. Misusing magic(i.e. using vulgar magic in front of humans[sleepers]) draws the attention of nasty things from the Abyss and causes paradox.

There's five factions in Mage society, all with different ideas of running things. Silver Ladder are the politicians who keep to tradition, Adamantine Arrow are warrior types, Guardians of the Veil are strict on keeping magic and secrets under lock and key, Mysterium are intent on discovering more of it, and Free Council believe in making magic more accessible to humans.

That's the gist of it. The antagonists are mostly the Seers of the Throne(brainwashed/power-hungry Mages who serve the Supernal powers) and Banishers(Mage Hunters).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2011
    Yup. Pretty much just being awesome.

Shamus on
    edited June 2011
    Did we mention that mages are awesome?

Tunos on
    edited June 2011
    These two descriptions really sold me on it. Both from this link posted earlier.
    ”CharlieFoxtrot” posted:

Most representations of magic anywhere you see -- other games, books, movies -- are very, very narrow. And they have to be, because if you take things to their logical conclusions, you'd be experiencing stories about utterly frightening and incomprehensible alien entities. You can create energy from oblivion? Of course you're going to use it to sling fireballs and nothing else. Gravity is just a slider setting that you can bend to your will, and you're going to use it to play a loving sport? You and the others around you can step outside of time, render distance meaningless, and end life with the speaking of a single word, and somehow your psychology and society is organized no differently than the mundane world? Bullshit.

Mage lets you go beyond that. It has many interlocking themes, but one is the hope and potential for limitless growth. We all start life as babies, mewling and crying, barely sensate and driven by unformed instincts. Some of those babies grow into scientists who are on the bleeding edge of discerning the building blocks of the universe, into artists who can channel raw passion and longing and emotion into artefacts that make the souls of the masses ache and leap and laugh, into leaders who galvanize the multitudes into action in service of a higher and intangible ideal.

To Mages they are all still babies.

For a Mage, each new discovery is paradigm shift upon paradigm shift, changing the way she views the world utterly and irrevocably. And each step along that path of power draws her away from not only other Sleepers, but other Mages as well. (As an aside, I think that's one of the key advantages Awakening has over Ascension, in that progression leads to isolation and differentiation. Whereas in Ascension as you grow in power you learn that everything agglomerates together. So you're murdering and rending reality... over cosmetics?)

The House of Ariadne knows that the city, that glorious jumble of stone and electricity and flesh, has its own soul -- and it's singing to us. The Blank Badges know that identity is a function of others' perceptions, and seize control of it in service of a permanent revolution beyond mundane ken. The Imagineers have perceived that we are all made of thoughts, and try to isolate that to the point of transcendence.

But the world that would be the Mages' playground is governed by unknowable and insidious entities that shackle souls with an omnipresent Lie, and they are bound by a system that pushes back as they probe the frontiers of the mind and reality. They are constantly reminded that power and knowledge comes with limits and costs. And they perceive that they are trapped in a system that threatens to plunge everything they know into Abyss after Abyss.

For example, there exists a book, incomplete. It exists in snippets and fragments, in intrusive thoughts that appear ex nihilo in random people. If they were ever to be collected and completed, they would be an Abyssal entity that exists as an entire universe, erasing all of history and rewriting it into a demonic, tormented hellscape.

Confronted with this friction and with this forbidden knowledge, some Mages go mad. Some forsake all semblance of human morality. Some search for a way out. And some choose to fight.

Honestly, sometimes I think that Awakening leans so heavily on Atlantis because leading off with Gravity's Rainbow isn't the best way to move product.
    Etherwind posted:

No. If your adventure can be broken like that, you aren't running a proper game of Mage. Consequentially, you can't just take an adventure for something like Vampire or Werewolf, increase the difficulty and then make it a Mage adventure.

Mage requires you to actually ask "What are the themes and ideas the party will be tackling?" and then set up a series of actors and influences that will be playing them out, with the right flexibility to respond to player improvisation. If it's a high powered game and your players are going for it, you should be prepared for them to venture into the Anima Mundi beyond the Collective Unconsciousness of mankind and wrestle with the concept of Electricty in order to convince it to cause a cost-length blackout, even if you just expected them to cut the power to an apartment block using a pair of pliers.

Shamus on
    edited June 2011
    We can has play now?

Tunos on
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like they're talking about Old Mage, but the same core ideas are still there, just implemented differently.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2011
    I would also very much be down for a mage game. Hell, I would be down for any nWod or oWod game as long as it can stay together for longer than 3 weeks.

My RL group is not as taken by WoD as I am and my forays into it with them so far have been generally disappointing. Sigh.

MoosehatIV on
    edited June 2011
    I'd offer to run one because I have a great idea but no experience running nwod.

Tunos on
    edited June 2011
    Well, that's the best way to learn.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2011
    Same, Tunos. But I love the setting too much not to eventually attempt to run a game.

Hm..if you're not up to running a game, give me a week or two. Seeing how there's enough interest, don't want to let it disappear.

Shamus on
    edited June 2011
    I did try to run a Dark Ages-esque game, but I think the concept was too out there. I'd try again with something modern, but I'd probably steal too many ideas from the game I'm currently running.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So... I got done with my finals and have some free time. Would anyone be interested if I ran a game of Werewolf? I think it is a highly underrated game line.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2011
    I admittedly have never really tried the werewoofs before.

Put me down as "interested".

MoosehatIV on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Haven't played any of new Werewolf nor read any of the books.

Delmain on
  • DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Abysmal, I'd be all for it. I'll need to look my NWoD Werewolf book over, though. I'm a bit too used to the older version.

DJP3710 on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So... I got done with my finals and have some free time. Would anyone be interested if I ran a game of Werewolf? I think it is a highly underrated game line.

nWoD or oWoD?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited June 2011
    Kay wrote: »

nWoD or oWoD?

nWoD. I'm not really familiar with the old oWoD systems and such.

I'm glad to see people are interested though. It will probably be a while before the thread gets started or anything, as I think it will probably be for the best if I start it after I go camping.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2011
    Not sure anyone's ever run a Garou game here, old or new. What I read of Old in a graphic novel was REALLY good stuff, though. It was a three part comic with one about the Toreador, one about the Brujah(Theo Bell!), and one about a pack of female Garou fighting the Black Spiral Dancers.

Never would've thought I'd like the Garou one most.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2011
    So Mage-ers: what's a good way to punish a player who likes to screw with the Umbra/spirit realm? Be creative.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2011
    Piss off the head of a court. City Fathers for example can be frighteningly powerful and potentially have the connections to make life difficult for a Cabal. Claimed mortals can be pretty scary if not much of a challenge, but if you start being subtle; like a greed spirit constantly making a Mage a target for muggers or something, things can get pretty freaky.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jack HobbesJack Hobbes Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So Mage-ers: what's a good way to punish a player who likes to screw with the Umbra/spirit realm? Be creative.
    The token answer is "sick the local Pure pack on him", but this assumes that both the game is crossover-friendly and that the Mage in question hasn't gotten enough XP in him to totally destroy anything that isn't a Mage.

My advice is to mine Werewolf or Book of Spirits for ideas. There's enough stuff in the Hisil (Idigam, Maeljin, Hosts, Ridden, Claimed) to make even experienced Mages think twice before monkeying too much with it.

Jack Hobbes on
    edited June 2011
    This isn't a crossover game; just Mage. Also not too familiar with the Spirit books, just what WoD and Mage have gone into.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not really familiar with nWoD mage, but old school Werewolf used to do a lot of things with the Umbra and mirrors. They shifted planes via reflective surface, they scryed with mirrors, etc.

One kind of superficial thing would be having him see into some random part of the Umbra everytime he would normally be seeing a reflection. To step it up you could have the stuff on the other side be able to see him, too. Maybe have something big and scary track him in the real world from the umbra and be there whenever he tried to do anything with it like cross over or travel through it.

Assuming this is the same umbra, obviously.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited June 2011
    Crossing and seeing across into the Shadow in nWoD doesn't really work like that, but theoretically it is possible if a spirit has the right Influences and Numen.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2011
    Crossing and seeing across into the Shadow in nWoD doesn't really work like that, but theoretically it is possible if a spirit has the right Influences and Numen.

Moreover it's your campaign so you can do whatever you want 8-)

Tunos on
    edited June 2011
    That's true too.

Oh! If you wanted to pull the old bait and switch, you could have a group of Claimed pretend to be a pack of werewolves or one be a vampire or something.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jack HobbesJack Hobbes Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh! If you wanted to pull the old bait and switch, you could have a group of Claimed pretend to be a pack of werewolves or one be a vampire or something.
    This is always a fun trick. In the Ghouls book there's a teenage Ghoul that thinks that she's a werewolf and that her sire is Satan.

There's nothing stopping some spirits of blood or wolves (or both) from Claiming some mortals so you can mess with you're players' heads.

Jack Hobbes on
    edited June 2011
    I'm writing something for Mage right now. No one go anywhere. It's mostly to drum up some interest, but we'll see where it goes.

Tunos on