Options

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - V1.1 is out. New Cars! New Achievements!

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, if racers in Interceptor challenges turn around, just slam on the e-brake, you pretty much turn 180º (which I learnt the hard way trying to do a 90º turn).

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Burnout Revenge and Most Wanted are probably the only car racing games I enjoyed playing before this game, arcade controls are always preferred for me, so I'm glad the controls are quite good in this game.

Yea, the drifting seems pretty easy for the most part. And that's probably the hardest aspect of racing games, the drifting. It wasn't hard transitioning from Split/Second's controls to this one.

Ah, really? I love the feel of Split/Second's drifting; Blackrock really nailed it.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If I could ask for one thing from the time trials (besides being less frequent) it would be for the difference between failing to get a gold and failing to get a silver to not be so damn short. I've had near perfect runs with a few mistakes but that still means:

*beep beep gold failed*

*beep beep silver failed*

The gap between silver and bronze is at least reasonable. In fact the gold and silver divide isn't even an issue in Hot Pursuit/Interceptor challenges.

EDIT: But on a more positive note, Special Response HP/Interceptor challenges are amazing.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Crazy RobotCrazy Robot Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This game's a lot of fun, but sometimes it gets frustrating as hell. Especially the night missions. Now, maybe my eyes are just failing me, but I can't really see shit during the night missions. It's really dark and the headlights only show you what's right in front. Trying to follow what's going on in the distance is a pain, specially since everything's all aliased to hell. The anti-aliasing seems to have been neglected in the visuals. Now, you might be wondering why I can't just adjust the ingame brightness to make everything more visible at night. Well, this game, it's special. It doesn't work the way normal video games work. There's no actual ingame brightness or gamma setting. Instead, what Criterion did is show you a bunch of test patterns and static images while you have to actually adjust the brightness and contrast of your fucking television. Now, who the hell does that? What video games actually exist that don't let you adjust the ingame brightness but force you to tinker around with the settings on your tv? This game, apparently. So yea, it's a pain. I did not try and figure out the complicated settings on my HDTV. It's just a bizarre design choice.

So yea, the night missions are a bit harder, because of that. Daytime missions look nice and clear for the most part though, as long as you ignore the aliasing that pops up in the distance. There are certain points where you just hit a wall though, where the difficulty really ramps up.

Honestly, night races by their nature are meant to be harder. I dunno if you were expecting the game to just be slightly darker at night.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say about the aliasing? I'm playing this through a Samsung 46inch LED HDTV and it's jawdroppingly gorgeous and realistic. Actually, that may be what your complaint is about - the game presents a pretty damn realistic portrayal of nighttime conditions.

Can you see better if you play in a darkened room? My TV is in a pretty bright room (lots of windows), so when I play at night I can definitely see a little better during the night races.

Crazy Robot on
    3DS Friend Code: 1478-4479-7610
    PSN: Alien-Six
    Steam: Alien Six
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You might want to try turning down your TV's contrast (assuming it calculates it as a gamma curve) if you're losing any of the lower-luminance detail.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i retried a preview time trial earlier today like 10 times before i got gold on it. im not really that far into the game either. i am a fan of that. i really felt like i had that shit down by the time i got gold on it.

im really really enjoying this game so far. im glad it was on black friday sale for $35 or else i wouldnt have picked it up for a while. anyone on the ps3 feel free to add me, my PSN is Ah_Pook. i will beat your times or die trying.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Beating Autolog scores is the [strike]smuggest[/strike] best feeling.

And you know you've been spoiled when you're driving at 200kph and thinking "Hmmph, I'm only going half as fast as I could be going."

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Auto log adds so much to the game. I'm ignoring single player career because of it. Though it's really cool that it recommends things based on what you haven't played yet.

I added most of the PS3 people in this thread, but in case I missed you send a request to Brownchiclets.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anybody else think it's kinda weird how all the POLICE logos on the police cars are written backwards? It's ECILOP. But with the letters reversed as well.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anybody else think it's kinda weird how all the POLICE logos on the police cars are written backwards? It's ECILOP. But with the letters reversed as well.

so you can see it in your rearview mirror
    that's what it's like here, anyways. Ambulances, too.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »

Oh, I guess that makes sense. Though if I saw a cop car in my rearview mirror, I'd probably be looking at the flashing red and blue sirens instead of the words.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I thought I would be playing GT5 once it came out, but instead, I seem addicted to this. I need more times to challenge, too, so add me (PSN ID below the guy who wants his pop back).

Everyone on my Friends list is either on Black Ops or GT5, so my NFS leaderboards are lonely.

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    So I just finished a Hot Pursuit race, which was at night. Got a gold on it. No big feat, really.

Except that my car was heavily damaged about halfway through, and I finished the last half of the night race without any headlights.

Fuck that was intense. Couldn't see shit, had to rely on the cops' lights and the other racers to illuminate the road when I could. Other than that, pure reliance on the map and what little my eyes could make out. I need a drink.

cr0w on
  • Options
    GingeyGingey Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does this game support the Logitech Driving Force GT?

-- Tried playing a demo of Split/Second with it and it was pretty terrible. Hoping this game actually supports it, and supports it well.

Gingey on
    PSN - Gingeyy
    Wii Code - 5752 2082 7344 0751
    496697-1.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    cr0w wrote: »
    So I just finished a Hot Pursuit race, which was at night. Got a gold on it. No big feat, really.

Except that my car was heavily damaged about halfway through, and I finished the last half of the night race without any headlights.

I didn't know it was even possible for the headlights to be destroyed. It would be the first sign I've heard of that damage in this game isn't merely cosmetic.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »

Oh, I guess that makes sense. Though if I saw a cop car in my rearview mirror, I'd probably be looking at the flashing red and blue sirens instead of the words.

True, but I'm guessing it's also for when the sirens aren't on and they want to tell people 'Hey guys, police here, don't fuck around.'

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    IconIcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I just finished the game.

A lady friend came over last night with a bottle of scotch (she was a massive fan on Mario Kart)
    I asked her if she would like to play some newly installed NFS she said, "Only if it not boring"
    I said I didn't know and she was welcome to take my latest games first play virginity.

Many many hours later. We had only played the police missions (the ones that weren't stupid preview or at least worst a single racer takedown) we hit level 11 and got a NFS All Cop Options game over.

We did not get anything other than the 2 stupid KonsegnegerreynegnegXXCCSSCCxxx's The only time we drove the Veyron was a preview.

In short.

This game is fucking amazing from start to finish with a bottle of scotch and a girl who plays swap controller (PC) and likes doing what she calls the "2 Steps to Need For Speed Success"

Step 1. Go Fast.
    Step 2. Smash Em!

Her expanded explanation was "Hmm go fast don't hit the things that are hittable for 20 seconds, unt boost smash" thats fun!

Icon on
    MKWii 2105-8992-2542 Ic0n
    4ob39
    http://3WiiD.com
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Unt boost smash!

I shpuld try a bit more of this game before writing it off but I just got blur and a used copy of Burnout Dominator.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hate dispatch missions so very much. Stupid 2 second penalties for hitting walls. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    My Black Friday copy came today.

At first, given the more buttoned-down feel of this game, I figured I should play it somewhat more sim-like, you know, being all Mr. professional street racer and not ramming into other cars like in Burnout. But then some CPU guy rams me... so I retaliate. And he comes back. So I swerve over and hit him hard, and then...

For all the Criterion signatures I knew were in this game, I somehow either never read or just forgot that despite all the licensed cars, this game does indeed have takedowns. When I got that first takedown cam, let me tell you, there was a moment of rejoicing.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Lv 3 Spike Strips:

Wrecking my F1 since 2010. :x

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just got this in the mail through Amazon, I added a couple of people who had posted GTs for the speedwall. There goes my speedwall bonus :P

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If you missed picking this up on Black Friday, it's on Amazon Gold Box for $35 right now until it sells out.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you missed picking this up on Black Friday, it's on Amazon Gold Box for $35 right now until it sells out.

I am going to pounce on this: any differences between the 360 and PS3 version of this?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    On the PS3 you get to race against me. I personally think that's a HUGE plus.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    And me!

All I know is that PS3 was the lead platform for Burnout Paradise, and thus may have been for Hot Pursuit. Of course, both versions were very close for Paradise, so they are quite likely indistinguishable for HP.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i just replayed a time trial 34 times to get #1 on the speedwall from some random dude i met in an online race who friended me. this game is gonna kill me, i think. still, finally beating that time was sweet sweet nectar.

if any of you dudes want to get your times beaten hit me up on that there PSN. names the same as my forum name.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And me!

All I know is that PS3 was the lead platform for Burnout Paradise, and thus may have been for Hot Pursuit. Of course, both versions were very close for Paradise, so they are quite likely indistinguishable for HP.

Well damn it, I took a 50/50 shot and missed. I told my "not so secret santa" at work to get me the 360 version.

Next time gadget, next time!

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And me!

I got the PS3 version because A. PS3 was lead SKU for Paradise, and B. 3D patch that only PC and PS3 version is getting.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I ordered this for PS3 as well and need some friends for the speedwall, psn tag in my sig. I don't know if I'll be the fastest guy out there, but I like the challenge of seeing others' times to beat.

nusu on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So my internet connection can be less than stable at times, but I'm having a bit of an odd issue right now. I'm connected to Xbox live, but cannot do anything in the game other than career because I can't connect to the EA NFS servers. Anyone else having this issue, or has my internet connection really gone completely nuts?

Dourin on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    And me!

Well damn it, I took a 50/50 shot and missed. I told my "not so secret santa" at work to get me the 360 version.

Next time gadget, next time!

Saying it again since my earlier posts were lost, you should add me, GT is my PA handle.

And chopper spike strips are still useless.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dourin wrote: »
    So my internet connection can be less than stable at times, but I'm having a bit of an odd issue right now. I'm connected to Xbox live, but cannot do anything in the game other than career because I can't connect to the EA NFS servers. Anyone else having this issue, or has my internet connection really gone completely nuts?

Yes for yesterday if you're Xbox - I couldn't connect to autolog servers with some error along the lines of 4001000. Punched it into google and apparantly it is (was, haven't tried this morning) a known issue and they're looking at it.

Shutdown on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    This game really showcases how shit the xbox 360's d-pad is. I mean, I understand why they put the 4 weapon abilities on it, but it gets really frustrating when you try to use a jammer and accidentally lay out a spike strip, or try to use a spike strip and accidentally activate the ECM. Just fucking terrible.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    10 races, done.
    10 interceptor events (each type), done.

Now to only play Hot Pursuit online for as long as my attention-span lasts.

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This game really showcases how shit the xbox 360's d-pad is. I mean, I understand why they put the 4 weapon abilities on it, but it gets really frustrating when you try to use a jammer and accidentally lay out a spike strip, or try to use a spike strip and accidentally activate the ECM. Just fucking terrible.

So it's not just me.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Huh, I haven't had any issue with activating the right weapon, my only issue is activating spike strips because you have to take your hand off the wheel (so to speak) to activate it, which is hard when you have to time it right.

Was that new silver controller's D Pad any good?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Dunno about that new d-pad.

Um, the problem I have with spike strips is that sometimes I tap it so quickly, because the timing is crucial, that the controller doesn't even register it. So by the time I realize that the strip didn't actually get used, the car's moved away again.

Also, there are some cars in each class that have CLASSIFIED speeds and accelerations. Are these supposed to be the best cars in each class? I dunno what to think about them. It's a mystery.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    This is pure speculation since I'm not a car guy beyond these games and Top Gear, but I'm assuming the car makers didn't want their stats known? I dunno, the first classified car I noticed was the car specially made for police use, so it would make sense that its stats wouldn't be revealed.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Toma wrote: »
    10 races, done.
    10 interceptor events (each type), done.

Now to only play Hot Pursuit online for as long as my attention-span lasts.

You must have the patience of a saint - I'm at (I think) 2 for each and I dont think I could stand to do any more.

Shutdown on