Options

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - V1.1 is out. New Cars! New Achievements!

• Options
    Crazy RobotCrazy Robot Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Let's say you make a time that you think is about as fast as possible for said event, then you get an alert saying someone beat you by .02s, then you go ahead and beat their time by .02s........ it's soooo satisfying.

Crazy Robot on
    3DS Friend Code: 1478-4479-7610
    PSN: Alien-Six
    Steam: Alien Six
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I spent over 6 hours playing this game, yesterday. After the Serious Business that is Gran Turismo 5, I found myself having so much fun just causing havok in HP. I can't believe they didn't include a replay save function, though! There were a couple of crashes that I really wanted to show off.

Oh and LESS time trial / rapid response missions, please. I felt like I was back in GT5, except with shit handling. Just do hot pursuit! Insane car chases! Huge crashes! The rest is irrelevant.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I spent over 6 hours playing this game, yesterday. After the Serious Business that is Gran Turismo 5, I found myself having so much fun just causing havok in HP. I can't believe they didn't include a replay save function, though! There were a couple of crashes that I really wanted to show off.

At the very least there's the snapshot function. The photo quality doesn't do the game justice in terms of how gorgeous it is, but I already have a collection of memorable collisions (like me ramming a Zonda when it was at a complete stop and it flying above me).

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Crazy RobotCrazy Robot Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

At the very least there's the snapshot function. The photo quality doesn't do the game justice in terms of how gorgeous it is, but I already have a collection of memorable collisions (like me ramming a Zonda when it was at a complete stop and it flying above me).

The snapshots aren't great quality, but if you go into the start menu you can get into Picture Mode, there you can fly the camera around, zoom in, change brightness and contrast, etc. and the pic is in full HD. You just have to be sure to pause the game at the right moment.

Crazy Robot on
    3DS Friend Code: 1478-4479-7610
    PSN: Alien-Six
    Steam: Alien Six
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ingt
    Shutdown wrote: »
    Toma wrote: »
    10 races, done.
    10 interceptor events (each type), done.

Now to only play Hot Pursuit online for as long as my attention-span lasts.

You must have the patience of a saint - I'm at (I think) 2 for each and I dont think I could stand to do any more.

Interceptor is super fun if you have a friend to play with. I don't know how it would be with randoms though.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Shutdown wrote: »
    Toma wrote: »
    10 races, done.
    10 interceptor events (each type), done.

Now to only play Hot Pursuit online for as long as my attention-span lasts.

You must have the patience of a saint - I'm at (I think) 2 for each and I dont think I could stand to do any more.

Only doing a couple each play session helped a bit. Well, that and the fact that no one knows how to handle a jammer at an interception, so at least that made playing as a racer go by faster.

Thankfully you don't have to win them, either, for them to count.

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    cr0w wrote: »
    So I just finished a Hot Pursuit race, which was at night. Got a gold on it. No big feat, really.

Except that my car was heavily damaged about halfway through, and I finished the last half of the night race without any headlights.

I didn't know it was even possible for the headlights to be destroyed. It would be the first sign I've heard of that damage in this game isn't merely cosmetic.

I take it you never played Project Gotham Racing or Metropolis Street Racer - the first game series I ever saw that did just that.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nitsua wrote: »
    So I just finished a Hot Pursuit race, which was at night. Got a gold on it. No big feat, really.

Except that my car was heavily damaged about halfway through, and I finished the last half of the night race without any headlights.

I didn't know it was even possible for the headlights to be destroyed. It would be the first sign I've heard of that damage in this game isn't merely cosmetic.

I take it you never played Project Gotham Racing or Metropolis Street Racer

That's kind of irrelevant, since what I was saying was that I was unaware it was possible to lose your headlights in Hot Pursuit. I'm quite sure that it's been doable in other racing games. :)

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've been loving this game, several friends and I have bought it and have been having a blast online crushing each other.

Our favorite is having one cop and seeing how many he can take down in the alotted time. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DLC coming soon.

From BADNED on fc.
    NFS Hot Pursuit - Super Sports Pack DLC Announced
    EA announced a new DLC for Need For Speed Hot Pursuit via a trailer. The pack will feature 12 new events, new achievements/trophies and six new cars. The 2011 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport, Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport Interceptor, 2010 Gumpert Apollo Sport, Gumpert Apollo Sport Interceptor, 2011 Porsche 911 GT2 RS (997/2), Porsche 911 GT2 RS Interceptor.

It looks the pack will be offered for free but we have to wait for the release day announcement on the official site to get the full scoop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD7F9-LX3SE

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Sweet! I was hoping we'd get some awesome dlc for free.

Knowing Criterion, I figured we would at some point. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    12 new events? Awesome, more Rapid Response and Preview events to play.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Can't remember if I put this in here, but if anyone has this on 360 and wants another autolog competitor, just add SuperJumpMan.

Dourin on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Sweet! I was hoping we'd get some awesome dlc for free.

Knowing Criterion, I figured we would at some point. :D

Well if its anything like what EA pulled on Bad Company 2 then that stuff is already on the disc and your VIP code is what gets it for you when EA unlocks it.

I sold off the game though. I have Forza 3 for real car like racing, all the good Burnouts for crashes and Need for Speed Most Wanted for great cop escapes.

Game just rubbed me all wrong.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Meh, if it's free, who cares if it's on disc already.

Criterion won me over with Burnout Paradise, and I've been loving NfS:HP a lot.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    12 new events? Awesome, more Rapid Response and Preview events to play.

I was about to make the same joke, buuuut, the events have names like 'duty calls, show of force, any means nessesary, cut to the chase and lockdown'.

So unless they're being really obtuse, it looks like it will be mainly the good stuff.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There's probably one Preview and one Rapid Response among the 12, but hey, that's two more speedwalls I have a realistic chance at topping for awhile!

Not to say that I've given up on the standard ones. Brownchiclets, I am still gunning for your times.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Nitsua wrote: »

I take it you never played Project Gotham Racing or Metropolis Street Racer

That's kind of irrelevant, since what I was saying was that I was unaware it was possible to lose your headlights in Hot Pursuit. I'm quite sure that it's been doable in other racing games. :)

Honestly it's entirely possible that it was a bug, since when I went into a tunnel my lights would come back on, but as soon as I exited they would turn off. I just know that my car was heavily damaged and one of my tail lights was out, so I assumed it was part of the damage.

cr0w on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Beat this game 100% last night. Also, somehow NFS lined up with my gamerscore. So once I got 1000/1000G, it rolled me over to 60000G as well.

204380713.jpg

204380715.jpg

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh my god, Lv 3 Helicopter actually gets shit done. It still decides to plant spike strips in front of me while the racer is in an adjacent shortcut instead of chasing him through the shortcut, but it's far more persistent now. Gotta learn to spread out the Lv 3 Spikes out as well.

Also, racers that hit other racer spikes should take damage, it's basically cheating that they don't.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    DSightDSight Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    Hey guys,

Sorry to bump this thread but I'm a first time poster. I played the demo to this game and the controls felt pretty "floaty" on the Xbox 360. The cars didn't seem to hug the road or feel "right".

Does the real game feel like this? Did anyone notice a difference between the demo and the main game? Lastly do the controls feel different using a Xbox 360 Controller and a PS3 controller?

Thanks for your help!

DSight on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I know this is a console game through and through, but shit cost only 20 Ameribux on PC here, and I do have a 360 controller, so now I have to manually add anybody here who might be playing this on a computer.

Hi, I'm muddywater42. What's you name?

PS: How do I get rid of those fugly, fugly jaggies?

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    DSight wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Sorry to bump this thread but I'm a first time poster. I played the demo to this game and the controls felt pretty "floaty" on the Xbox 360. The cars didn't seem to hug the road or feel "right".

Does the real game feel like this? Did anyone notice a difference between the demo and the main game? Lastly do the controls feel different using a Xbox 360 Controller and a PS3 controller?

Thanks for your help!

The controls feel pretty damn good, from Crown Vic's to the Veyron. The demo didn't really feel indicitive of the game proper, far more intense in the latter.

Speaking of, I used the Veyron to beat Double Cross in ~3 minutes, would have been quicker but he barely escaped my shunts/held on for dear life. I feel like that was a more appropriate final round than End of the Line, which I didn't have any issue with.

Kinda wish the final boss in the cop career was the BMW from Most Wanted, but that's just wishful thinking.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    There's some guy who keeps beating my times by 4 or 5 seconds. I might have to unfriend him.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    No DLC for PC:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-13-pc-need-for-speed-denied-paid-dlc
    Criterion has delivered a crushing blow to PC owners of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit: there will be scarcely any premium DLC for you - mostly bug fixes.

"Hey all," posted developer EASpenser on the EA forum (via Ripten), "unfortunately we will not be releasing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit [premium downloadable content] for the PC."

"While we are certainly committed to providing the best possible game experience and ongoing support for our PC community, (as you have already noted) we have a limited amount of resources that makes it so that we are unable to deliver new content to all platforms.

"We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience, but on the positive side we do have more updates and content on the way for PC players - look for news very soon."

So...anyone surprised? The general reaction from most folks so far has been the usual internet rage.

But to me, DLC is a console thing anyway. As a PC gamer I almost never consider the possibility of DLC when I buy a game.

I'm more used to community-developed mods for games. Maybe I'm just cheap but I've rarely encountered a paid add-on for a game that I felt was worth having.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Considering how they "supported" the PC version of Burnout Paradise (that is to say, not at all), this is not too much of a surprise.

But it's honestly getting a little tiring that whenever there's something involving "limited resources" or whatever BS excuse, the PC always, always gets on the chopping block. Because fuck treating those faggot assholes the up to the same level as everyone else mirite.

but at least the game shipped complete and something like, oh i don't know, multiplayer was stripped out or something

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Just keep in mind, 2K used to say they weren't gonna release BioShock 2 DLC for the PC.

And then they did.

So hey, hope springs eternal.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Okay, finally had a chance to play this over the weekend (on the 360) and I like it... but I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I am getting smoked on certain races, and really failing on some of the time-trials (or bronzing them). At first I thought it was because I was missing shortcuts, but even still that's not helping me any. I feel like I'm getting smoked on the turns, especially sharp ones or hairpins. I read the tip that says to tap the gas and then brake to start a slide, and I do; but the other AI races are just blowing by me in the turns. Is there some better way to corner that I'm not just getting? I understand that the more I slide the more speed I lose, but the AI cars don't seem to lose ANY speed through there. Suggestions?

I also feel that this will help my TT times as well; the 2nd or 3rd one with the McLaearen is nigh impossible for me right now.

Also: is it the case that this just clearly one car that dominates all others in the groups? I feel like the 911 in the 2nd tier is the one that keeps beating me.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Finally picked this up and within 15 minutes of installing I'm blasting through the desert at 200 mph to Bad Religion. Awesome.

Need more mans to compete against, tag is lego pencil.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Diet are you saving some boost for sharp corners? That definitely helps.

As far as taking the corners, tapping brake and initiating a drift is what I tend to do. On hairpin corners, tapping the handbrake can allow for 90° turns.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

As far as taking the corners, tapping brake and initiating a drift is what I tend to do. On hairpin corners, tapping the handbrake can allow for 90° turns.

I am; I use the boost just as I'm starting to straighten out of it. Doesn't seem to help too much.

Let me ask this: are the cars all pretty much set to be competitive with each other; for example, the Lancer clearly isn't the fastest car of the group, but am I capable of winning with it against cars that are faster? As in, so far as I take corners well?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The turns are definitely an art. I took a break back to Split/Second this weekend, and was surprised by how much more forgiving drifting is in that game -- in Hot Pursuit, you have to pay a lot more attention to the timing, anticipating the turn and its angle before you even tap the brake. In S/S, you have a fair amount of control once you're already drifting, but in HP, you have to line up your shot more carefully.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    They don't show any stats other than top speed and acceleration, so one assumes that the other elements like handling, drifting, and amount of health would be the same.

But maybe that's a dumb assumption to make.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    They don't show any stats other than top speed and acceleration, so one assumes that the other elements like handling, drifting, and amount of health would be the same.

But maybe that's a dumb assumption to make.

Well I can definitely say that the cars "feel" different; driving the lancer is much different than, say, the Z. But, again, there clearly seems to be "a car" that blows away everything else in the class that if you don't have unlocked, you're kind of boned. Or maybe I just suck, I'm not ruling that out either.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I am; I use the boost just as I'm starting to straighten out of it. Doesn't seem to help too much.

Let me ask this: are the cars all pretty much set to be competitive with each other; for example, the Lancer clearly isn't the fastest car of the group, but am I capable of winning with it against cars that are faster? As in, so far as I take corners well?

Boost isn't a warp speed button in this game, but it does help push your car a little further/regain lost speed around corners, I find.

I've only just started the racer career, but in the cop career, the cars you unlock further in a tier are a bit better, but the cars you have at your disposal at any given time will get the job done. So far that seems to be the case in the racer career.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh God.

I'm nearing the end of the single-player and there is a duel between a Veyron and a Koenigsegg called "King of the Road" that is kicking my ass. I have gotten stuck at other events but in those, it was always apparent where I needed to improve; it was just a matter of execution. Moreover, I was competing with myself (talking about time trials here). But in this event, the AI seems completely unforgiving. It doesn't matter how far ahead I am, he always manages to catch up before the final hairpins. And if he gets even a moderate distance ahead of me, I might as well restart 'cause that distance is only going to get wider.

It is so infuriating. Did anyone else have a problem with this?

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Only scratched the Racer career, but one of the last Cop Events is called 'Double Cross' where the suspect is using the final Koenigsegg. It is easily the most difficult battle in the career and I had to restart numerous times because of how hard it was.

That being said, the challenge was kinda what I wanted out of the endgame.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I also need more mans to race against, my gamertag is TPSou, add me!

TPSou on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Whats the sort of difference between playing this game with a good racing wheel and playing it without?

I know NFS: Carbon was absolutely horrendous with a wheel, too twitchy and hard to control, whereas NFS:Shift nearly required one to get the most out of it.

I have a Logitech G25, is that going to increase my enjoyment of the game a fair bit or would it not really be worth the actual setup time each time i want to play?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just bought this on Amazon, I should have it Wednesday. Lookin forward to smashing cars.

NeuralFizz on