Options

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - V1.1 is out. New Cars! New Achievements!

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You should play before the patch comes out so you can appreciate how awesome the 3D makes it.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You should play before the patch comes out so you can appreciate how awesome the 3D makes it.

You sir make a compelling argument. I tip your hat to you.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, having this game and deliberatly not playing it is a crime. A crime, I say.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, having this game and deliberatly not playing it is a crime. A crime, I say.

I don't feel particularly guilty about that considering their demo goosiness.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I don't feel particularly guilty about that considering their demo goosiness.

Sorry, can't hear you, deploying spike strip in front of your post.

:P

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just got back from K-Mart with my $35 copy in hand. Yay!

Becoming on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok so spike strips....do those bitches slide and lock on or drop when you press the button?

Cause those cop ones fucking pop out and then slide to the other side of the road to rape my tires.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They seem to have momentum when they're released, so if you're heading to the right side of the road and release one, it will slide to the right.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They seem to have momentum when they're released, so if you're heading to the right side of the road and release one, it will slide to the right.

and if you're drifting around a corner about to pass someone on the outside and they release a spike strip and you try to straighten out a little to avoid it, it will follow your ass until it's grinding against the rails and you have nowhere to go and it's getting closer OH GOD I'M NOT GOING TO MAKE IT

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hmm...so Amazon has this for $40 right now, and I have a $15 credit. The game seems interesting enough, but I don't have any real life friends who plan to play it, and friends seem like a pretty important part of the experience with the autolog stuff. I figured I'd come here, check and see what the 360 gamertag was for it, or how many names we had on a list, and find nothing. Is this just due to the lack of effort from the OP, or are there really just that few people playing?

Dourin on
  • Options
    ihsviksihsviks Listen up, Fignuts! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I've finished the racer career, but a few of the achievements (reaching a certain level) failed to unlock while I was leveling up. Do I need to restart to unlock them?

ihsviks on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh my god the "Hang Tough" pursuit is frustrating.

And all of the other cop events that are getting unlocked are, inexplicably, FUCKING TIME TRIALS.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Dourin wrote: »
    Hmm...so Amazon has this for $40 right now, and I have a $15 credit. The game seems interesting enough, but I don't have any real life friends who plan to play it, and friends seem like a pretty important part of the experience with the autolog stuff. I figured I'd come here, check and see what the 360 gamertag was for it, or how many names we had on a list, and find nothing. Is this just due to the lack of effort from the OP, or are there really just that few people playing?

Add me if you want, gamertag is my PA name. I've pretty much exclusively done cop events, currently at Trooper 2.

And the time trials aren't too bad as practice getting around Seacreast but the penalties are just mean. You know what's already a penalty? Hitting something in the first place.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    ihsviksihsviks Listen up, Fignuts! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Only 4 more races and Gold will be mine for the Racer career.

I'm not a big fan of the time trials for the Police career. Every race there is always one car that pops up out of nowhere to ding me +3 seconds and inevitably take Silver.

ihsviks on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    And the time trials aren't too bad as practice getting around Seacreast but the penalties are just mean. You know what's already a penalty? Hitting something in the first place.

Exactly! And it makes no sense that the SCPD cares about driving clean in these time trials, which are apparently training exercises of some kind, but couldn't give two shits how many dings you put in your cruiser and how many civilians you total during a "live" chase as long as you bust the speeders. Heck, I don't even think you get a point bonus for driving clean, do you?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I was doing fine in the time trials until one lengthy one where I crashed at the last possible second and missed out on a distinction by 1 second :(

But on the other hand it allowed me a sneak peek of cars like the Veyron as encouragement to progress (although it's not like I needed the encouragement considering how much I'm enjoying this game).

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »

Exactly! And it makes no sense that the SCPD cares about driving clean in these time trials, which are apparently training exercises of some kind, but couldn't give two shits how many dings you put in your cruiser and how many civilians you total during a "live" chase as long as you bust the speeders. Heck, I don't even think you get a point bonus for driving clean, do you?

It's best not to stop and think about the logic of the SCPD, considering their elite police force consists of cars that would not have the durability, fuel efficiency, cost or physical numbers in existence to be viable.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    and they bust people by ramming them off the road at 300 kmph

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It is basically a game as imagined by Jeremy Clarkson.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It is basically a game as imagined by Jeremy Clarkson.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yesss
    Top Gear immediately came to mind during that part where you're zig-zagging down that mountain road with the snow blowing over it.

It needs a gravel shortcut that hugs a cliff-face, with no shoulder or rail on the side.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

And all of the other cop events that are getting unlocked are, inexplicably, FUCKING TIME TRIALS.

Good god - thank you. I was just coming here to make this point and thought I was going to be the only one who was thinking this. I had a pun all setup that the name of the game should just be called NEED FOR SPEED TIME TRIALS. Am I right or am I right? I was doing the racers side last night and became frustrated that I was just doing one time-trial after another. It highlights the big problem I have with offline/career - there's no 'Single Race' option, as in 'Pick a track - pick a class - pick a game mode'.

From memory Burnout Revenge has the exact same omission which was a large reason I shelved it and kept going back to Burnout 3 and Dominator (that had 'Single Race' as part of the package so I could tweak the events I wanted to do).

I think I'll get bored of this within a month so it looks like an inevitable trade-in. Anyone who hasn't bought NFSHP yet, wait a bit because I reackon there'll be a bunch of them in the used bin soon.

Shutdown on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Racer time trials, like almost all the offline events, become more fun when you have friends posting speedwall times for your to compete with.

Cop time trials were just a bad idea any way you look at it.

Multiplayer races/pursuits are where this game shines anyway, asshattery among cop teammates aside.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TT has a place (even though I just dont like it myself) but here they're over-using it to extend the single-player. I dislike having to do them just to unlock more HP events.

Multiplayer is great, except when you get put into a game without balanced teams (ie. odd numbers), then the games become massively imbalanced.

Not saying that the game can compensate for people leaving, however I don't see any difference in how the game sets up if it has a team of 3 vs a team of 4 (eg. in the case of 3 cops vs 4 racers, I would have expected the cops to get more items or more health - or put one racer onto the cops team, but I haven't seen that). From all the games I've seen, 3 cops against 4 racers have almost no chance to win; even turning around to the racers hunting the cops.

Shutdown on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Shutdown wrote: »

Good god - thank you. I was just coming here to make this point and thought I was going to be the only one who was thinking this. I had a pun all setup that the name of the game should just be called NEED FOR SPEED TIME TRIALS. Am I right or am I right? I was doing the racers side last night and became frustrated that I was just doing one time-trial after another. It highlights the big problem I have with offline/career - there's no 'Single Race' option, as in 'Pick a track - pick a class - pick a game mode'.

From memory Burnout Revenge has the exact same omission which was a large reason I shelved it and kept going back to Burnout 3 and Dominator (that had 'Single Race' as part of the package so I could tweak the events I wanted to do).

I think I'll get bored of this within a month so it looks like an inevitable trade-in. Anyone who hasn't bought NFSHP yet, wait a bit because I reackon there'll be a bunch of them in the used bin soon.

Pretty much how I am feeling about it right now. I love Burnout 3 to death and its PSP cousin Legends cause it had single event mode. Didn't care for Revenge or Paradise cause you had look for old events set to specific tracks or points.

The time trials along with the Cop penalties is making this game feel like Super Meat Boy or those insane Mario hack games. Play it over and over again till its basically muscle memory.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Bought, 35 bucks for LE on PS3.

Span_Wolf if anybody wants to add me. Let me know that you are from PA.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I went ahead and picked this up through Amazon. Should be here in a few days. Go ahead and add me if you have it on 360. Name's SuperJumpMan. Depending on how things go between now and then, I may go ahead and create a PA GT for 360 players when I get my copy if someone hasn't already by that point.

Dourin on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Special Response Unit (Veyron et al) unlocked.

Excellent.

And thank god I now have someone on my speedwall, having someone to compete against adds some extra pressure.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I completed Cop and Racer careers last night. Total Progress: 78%

Hawk on
  • Options
    Crazy RobotCrazy Robot Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Am I the only person who doesn't mind the cop time trials?

I feel like they've improved my driving skills. I'll admit they're frustrating, but I enjoy how challenging they are.

Crazy Robot on
    3DS Friend Code: 1478-4479-7610
    PSN: Alien-Six
    Steam: Alien Six
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I feel like they've improved my driving skills. I'll admit they're frustrating, but I enjoy how challenging they are.

That kind of challenge just isn't fun to me. I picked the cop track because I wanted to smash into racers.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I feel the same way, i love the setup and gives an incentive not to mess up.

Hawk on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The female announcer seems to pronounce "asphalt" as ash-fault. I thought that was pretty funny.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hawk wrote: »

I feel the same way, i love the setup and gives an incentive not to mess up.

I don't like it because I'm bad at it and it doesn't really give a lot of room for error. To be fair, though, I basically just got the game because of the Hot Pursuit mode.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This game's a lot of fun, but sometimes it gets frustrating as hell. Especially the night missions. Now, maybe my eyes are just failing me, but I can't really see shit during the night missions. It's really dark and the headlights only show you what's right in front. Trying to follow what's going on in the distance is a pain, specially since everything's all aliased to hell. The anti-aliasing seems to have been neglected in the visuals. Now, you might be wondering why I can't just adjust the ingame brightness to make everything more visible at night. Well, this game, it's special. It doesn't work the way normal video games work. There's no actual ingame brightness or gamma setting. Instead, what Criterion did is show you a bunch of test patterns and static images while you have to actually adjust the brightness and contrast of your fucking television. Now, who the hell does that? What video games actually exist that don't let you adjust the ingame brightness but force you to tinker around with the settings on your tv? This game, apparently. So yea, it's a pain. I did not try and figure out the complicated settings on my HDTV. It's just a bizarre design choice.

So yea, the night missions are a bit harder, because of that. Daytime missions look nice and clear for the most part though, as long as you ignore the aliasing that pops up in the distance. There are certain points where you just hit a wall though, where the difficulty really ramps up. I've really been staying on the Cop progression chain so far and there are basically two kinds of hot pursuits, ones where you are going after a whole bunch of racers, with weak health, and ones where you're going after a single elite racer. Now, the latter missions are almost like boss fights in other games, because these elite racers are fucking hard as hell to catch. In fact, these missions might actually be harder then any traditional boss fight. I've gotten to the point where just ramming them is so difficult that it's not really a viable option. The cars are so fast and squirrelly and evasive that you're not likely to 1)catch up to them or 2)get a hit. So you have to rely on using your weapons, like EMP or spike strips. But they're so fast that you're almost never going to actually get in front of them to land the strip, or they'll just dodge it. Plus, the very act of racing in front of them is hazardous because they can actually ram you and wreck you, ending the mission. Also, some of them will have irritating gimmicks like spamming their jammer every 30 seconds, then turning around and driving in the complete opposite direction, or down one fork in the road. Since they're far in front of you, you don't actually see them driving off, and by the time the jammer wears off and you get your radar back, they're off the map and there's no chance of catching back up. Then you have to restart the mission. But this actually takes a long time, because there's a cinematic intro to every mission. Now, it says you can skip this, but it doesn't seem to work all that well, cause skipping still ends with you watching it for about 10-15 seconds. When really, I wanted to skip the entire thing. They should actually skip it if they give you an option to skip it.

Oh, and yeah... there are way too many time trial missions. They're called Rapid Response and Preview missions, but they're basically just time trials. It's fucking boring just driving across the map trying not to hit anything. I'd be perfectly fine if they were off relegated to a completely separate menu, instead of sharing space on the pursuit map.

Multiplayer's been a lot of fun though, even if it doesn't really make sense for racers to have stuff like EMPs and spike strips. You'd think the racers would just be racing and trying to outrun the cops, instead of trying to wreck them.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I do sort of wish they had completely differentiated the cops and racers equipment-wise, all "offense" and takedown weapons for the cops and all "defense" and evasion stuff for the racers. That would have made things more interesting.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It'd also be nice if there were more options for the equipment. Say, you would still have the four slots, but you could swap in and out different equipment to those slots. Cause I kinda want a "side passenger" who'll lean out the window and shoot at the racers with his pistol. Or maybe the harpoon from "Viper" the tv show.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I haven't really had any issues in the night time missions, but maybe that's just me.

As for Interceptor missions, I'm fine with them pulling off tactics with the jammer, but I agree they have an insane number of jammers up their sleeves, makes EMPing them much tougher. I imagine the cinematic skipping is still trying to shoehorn some extra loading time, that's the only thing I can think of.

As for the racers, their advanced equipment is handwaved by saying its stolen equipment, and I don't have an issue with it because it evens the odds.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I will admit, I generally don't play many racing games. The one and only Need for Speed game I've touched was Most Wanted. So I'm obviously not going to be as skilled as someone who's played the last 6 or 7 years worth of Need for Speed, Blur, Project Gotham Racing, Forza, etc. I really just wanted to play this game because of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ7Fuu_eN7A

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Burnout Revenge and Most Wanted are probably the only car racing games I enjoyed playing before this game, arcade controls are always preferred for me, so I'm glad the controls are quite good in this game.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Burnout Revenge and Most Wanted are probably the only car racing games I enjoyed playing before this game, arcade controls are always preferred for me, so I'm glad the controls are quite good in this game.

Yea, the drifting seems pretty easy for the most part. And that's probably the hardest aspect of racing games, the drifting. It wasn't hard transitioning from Split/Second's controls to this one.

Delta Assault on