As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Disgaea 4 (and Asagi) hit common sense with massive damage [US Summer 2011!]

• MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bondage Ranger!

Mugaaz on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    Bondage Ranger!

olol

I do think there may be some concessions to this tho. It's one thing to make bondage jokes and another to make choices concerning it and see/hear results (if that is indeed how it plays out).

Magic Pink on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That punishment system sounds strangely like the predecessor to Criminal Girls, which coincidentally is also an NIS game.....

Gilder on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wait. So NIS did a ero-ren'ai game for the PSP?
    Billed as ‘the RPG where you punish girls,’ Criminal Girls, the PSP exclusive published by Nippon Ichi Software has one of the most bizarre premises we’ve ever come across. Set in an all-girl prison in hell, Criminal Girls charges you with task of rehabilitating seven naughty sinners with spanking, sensual massages, and a healthy regimen of dungeon crawling.

Oh wait, it's not out yet. That's... I have no idea how to react to that. God, I hope it gets localized. That'd be hilarious.

Wasn't there something similar in one of the Ar Tonelico games? Something about baths or something? And diving into their brains to force them into cosplay? And removing clothing to power them up?

Back to the D4 example, I would wager this is just one of many different level up style things you can pick -- make them go through training, make them study, etc. They seem to be putting everything into this they can, on the off chance it's their swan song (they basically said that this is going to make or break them, didn't they?).

KiTA on
    edited November 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Billed as ‘the RPG where you punish girls,’ Criminal Girls, the PSP exclusive published by Nippon Ichi Software has one of the most bizarre premises we’ve ever come across. Set in an all-girl prison in hell, Criminal Girls charges you with task of rehabilitating seven naughty sinners with spanking, sensual massages, and a healthy regimen of dungeon crawling.

Oh wait, it's not out yet. That's... I have no idea how to react to that. God, I hope it gets localized. That'd be hilarious.

Wasn't there something similar in one of the Ar Tonelico games? Something about baths or something? And diving into their brains to force them into cosplay? And removing clothing to power them up?

Ar Tonelico 1-3 has brain diving to get new outfits that affect your stats. Well I'm assuming 3 does. AT2 has the baths where you use soaps and toys or whatever to make them relax so they can get stronger. AT3 is the transformation with less clothing or whatever. AT3 isn't out yet in English, but I'm sure it will keep up the tradition of having as much awkward dialogue as possible. However you never actively spanked the girls or anything. They just had messed up pasts where that might have happened.

Gilder on
    edited November 2010

Wasn't there something similar in one of the Ar Tonelico games? Something about baths or something? And diving into their brains to force them into cosplay? And removing clothing to power them up?.

Pretty much, yeah. That was how you leveled up the girls in 2; they had to get naked, bathe together, rub each other with oils and then you slammed their crystals in their ports.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    Hey man you can't just slam those crystals in there! That would really hurt if it was their first time! You had to get them good and relaxed so that they would stop being so tense and you could get the crystal in there. It might be too big otherwise and hurt their port. You have to be a gentleman about those things.

Anyway for some Disgaea discussion, I really need to start playing D3 if the save gives me stuff. I'm pretty sure the Raspberyl DLC can still be game-shared, so if anybody is interested in doing that in the future then you should totally say so. Blaze_zero and cj I know are both interested in it so if we could get two more it would be great.

Gilder on
    edited November 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    Hey man you can't just slam those crystals in there! That would really hurt if it was their first time! You had to get them good and relaxed so that they would stop being so tense and you could get the crystal in there. It might be too big otherwise and hurt their port. You have to be a gentleman about those things.

What?! Dood, chicks can't feel pain! Just shove it in. :rotate:

Magic Pink on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »

What?! Dood, chicks can't feel pain! Just shove it in. :rotate:

I can't believe we're having this discussion.

Anyway, about the punishment system, we're talking about a dev that made games where they make constant references to making fun of flat-chested girls, as well as several other silly sexual innuendos throughout their games (I seem to recall a certain woman hoping Zetta was making a "booty call"). I don't see how the system will make the North American branch alter the ESRB rating.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    First I noticed this thread and this news, so I came here just to say OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG YAY!

Straygatsby on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Anyway for some Disgaea discussion, I really need to start playing D3 if the save gives me stuff. I'm pretty sure the Raspberyl DLC can still be game-shared, so if anybody is interested in doing that in the future then you should totally say so. Blaze_zero and cj I know are both interested in it so if we could get two more it would be great.

How would this sharing DLC work? I'm potentially in.

Xagarath on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I believe Disgaea 3 DLC can be shared between multiple buyers, or something like that. I'd rather finish the game proper first, though. It's one of those games I pick up on a whim then sink four hours into.

cj iwakura on
    y3H3Fa4.png
    edited November 2010
    Basically unless something has changed and I don't think it has, game sharing DLC or anything from PSN lets up to 4 other people download it. So the person in charge makes a master account for all game sharing type stuff and then the cost is divided by 5. For Disgaea 3 my plan was to game share the complete DLC package. So everybody would basically put $10 into a paypal account and then the one in charge of sharing it downloads it and then gives the account information needed to the other 4. You need to know the password of the account so using your main account for the main sharing isn't the best way to do it. As long as that account stays on the PS3 the host can keep using the DLC on any account, and everybody else just has the DLC with no issues.

Edit: Oh, super important detail and this is the bad news for Xagarath. DLC isn't cross-region compatible. So it has to be 5 NA people, 5 EU people, etc.

Gilder on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That punishment system sounds strangely like the predecessor to Criminal Girls, which coincidentally is also an NIS game.....

That's exactly what it is. Mind you...I wouldn't mind playing Criminal Girls, but do you think NISA would even try to localize it?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    edited November 2010
    NISA I doubt it. It might be too much for them. If they were to let Aksys games bring it out for them though I think we'd get it.

Gilder on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Criminal Girls looks pretty bad at best, creepy at worst.

cj iwakura on
    y3H3Fa4.png
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have some of the character DC already and would be down for the raspberyl DLC.

TheGerbil on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I don't think that game was developed by NIS though. They're just publishing it.

Why they're publishing it is beyond me. Sheer desperation is my theory.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited November 2010
    Because moe is profitable. It's past a trope, it's fact.

cj iwakura on
    y3H3Fa4.png
    edited November 2010
    Pata wrote: »

I don't think that game was developed by NIS though. They're just publishing it.

Why they're publishing it is beyond me. Sheer desperation is my theory.

The way I understand it, they're basically the biggest of the indy dev companies in Japan, and are happy to publish games for other, even smaller companies.

Unfortunately, I seem to recall their publishing of those smaller games being what has put them in such a bad position financially, so...

KiTA on
    edited November 2010
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    I have some of the character DC already and would be down for the raspberyl DLC.

Ditto.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    Um, wow.
    Nippon Ichi describes its latest RPG “Criminal Girls” as a “shoujo punishment RPG” and the developers are even more frank, calling it a “hentai game” – an impression reinforced by the spanking action and busty bishoujo presented below.
    Developer Image Epoch’s CEO is charmingly blunt about the game’s content
    I was asked by the development staff what kind of game this is. I said ‘The concept is "hentai game."

Quotes are from Sankaku, so I can't link. Apparently Sony's allowing it because the pantsu in all the art... "they're not pantsu, they're bloomers!"

Oh, Japan.

The art looks like... an artist whose name I can't place offhand, but I think I've seen him on Pixiv. I do like how all the outfits are standard cosplay gear (gothloli, high school, shrine maiden, etc), except with a prison bar theme, that's a cute idea.

Criminal Girls Trailer 1
    Criminal Girls Trailer 2

In Disgaea 4 news:
    http://www.siliconera.com/2010/11/12/make-maps-collect-online-bounties-in-disgaea-4/
    Dengeki PlayStation posted a more detailed report about Disgaea 4′s online features. Players can send out their characters pre-programmed with AI options on a ship and out to the Internet. If you have the option to let invaders appear in your game on you might run into a party created by another player.

That's awesome. Upload your team, and it randomly downloads it to other players games who are connected to the PSN. You also get bounties based on how powerful they are, and can turn it off to avoid the inevitable griefing.

Oh, and invaders can be friendly instead of enemies, too. Wonder if that's random, or if it's based on your friends list, or what.
    And it looks like the rumors about a map editing system are true. Dengeki shared this screenshot and said (with a teasing question mark) the first built-in map edit feature.

... ! Not sure if this ties into the odd politics / soul-nomad style "room" stuff in the trailer, but god it'd be cool if the game randomly downloaded "boss maps" from the cloud that other users had created.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/29/disgaea-4-has-anime-cameo-characters/

We've already seen this, talks about random anime character stuff (Will Disgaea 4 have Dengeki stuff, like Zettai Hero Project?? God, I hope so!) and the punishment system.

Thought -- the girl in the screenshot has 1 HP. Maybe that whole thing is actually a funny special attack, or some form of recruitment / dark assembly thing -- throw someone into your base and you have to play a minigame to "capture" them?

Edit:

2 more I missed. We're entering the Infodump stage of D4's Japanese marketing.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/11/03/save-your-disgaea-3-save-data-you-can-use-it-in-disgaea-4/
    Nippon Ichi announced a crossover data feature for Disgaea 4. Players can load their save file from Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice into the sequel.

Also, more information on the new Magichange system (did anyone ever actually USE this in D2/D3?):

Human + Monster = Weapon
    Monster + Monster = Giant Monster (50' Giant Naked Plantgirls fighting 50' Giant Catgirls in Fur Bikinis? Someone at NIS has been reading fanfiction.net again.)
    Human + Giant Monster = GIANT Weapon

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/11/09/a-few-details-about-disgaea-4s-online-mode/

Unless they're mis-speaking, level 99,999 is the cap this time, not 9999. Holy crap. Edit2: If you look carefully, the character windows are designed for a 5 digit level. So yeah, level 99,999 cap.
    Before your team can hop into someone else’s game you need to create a pirate ship. Dengeki PlayStation explains you need to assemble the ship from parts. Then you can place characters on it and send them out on the Internet.

Disgaea 4 only lets players with the same ranking barge into your game, so you shouldn’t see a level 99999 party unless you’re just as powerful. What isn’t clear is if both players directly command characters during online invasions or if Disgaea 4 transfers ghost data and the computer (on another console) controls your party. Another interesting tidbit is another player can call your pirate ship for help during battle too as if they had a _insert party name here_ cell phone.

KiTA on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That's just insane.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    That's just insane.

Disgea

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Never played that game.

blaze_zero on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That's just insane.

Disgaea

There is no other explination, nor is one needed.

THIS...IS...DISGAEA!!!

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    edited November 2010
    I will never hit 99,999. I never hit 9,999.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    That's just insane.

Disgaea

There is no other explination, nor is one needed.

THIS...IS...DISGAEA!!!

Not what I was going for, but yeah, that works.

Disgaea has and always will be... insane. From the characters, to the story, to the ridiculous gameplay to the massively high level cap.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Unless they're mis-speaking, level 99,999 is the cap this time, not 9999. Holy crap. Edit2: If you look carefully, the character windows are designed for a 5 digit level. So yeah, level 99,999 cap.

Holy crap.
    I will never hit 99,999. I never hit 9,999.

Once you set things up in 3, hitting the cap is trivial.

This. Uh. I dunno.

Pata on
    edited November 2010
    <3<3<3

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    How do you go about setting things up in 3? I was level grinding when I last played but it was taking forever.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    You clear enough X-dimension levels to unlock the Puppy Paw Stick, then you use that and the Class World to clone dozens of max level Statisticians and reach 9999 in minutes.

Pata on
    edited November 2010
    http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/313/313624/&act=url

Um.

Apparently one of the new characters is a con artist named Volcano who is trying to get people to think she's an angel. Or she's an angel con artist who has been robbing the netherworld blind to send up to Celestia... for justice!

... Or something.

KiTA on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm currently playing Disgaea 3 and it's fucking fun!

Though, I'm not coming across any good places to grind some early levels out. Oh well, that's way item world is for!

Casually Hardcore on
    edited November 2010
    It's not really worth it to grind until you beat the story mode

Pata on
    edited November 2010
    Unless you get stuck, yeah. Although, taking the best weapon you can get and grinding it to level 10 or 20 is worth it. Unfortunately, NIS games, really, it's Glass Cannon or nothing.

Literally so, I mean -- in the various Disgaea games, was there ever one where doing anything other than going hell for leather as far as raw damage goes works as a tactic?

KiTA on
    edited November 2010
    Remake of Remake of Phantom Brave announced:
    http://nisamerica.com/images/email/PB_PressRelease101116_PB.pdf

KiTA on
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Remake of Remake of Phantom Brave announced:
    http://nisamerica.com/images/email/PB_PressRelease101116_PB.pdf
    See also: Persona 3.

The Anonymous on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Unless you get stuck, yeah. Although, taking the best weapon you can get and grinding it to level 10 or 20 is worth it. Unfortunately, NIS games, really, it's Glass Cannon or nothing.

Literally so, I mean -- in the various Disgaea games, was there ever one where doing anything other than going hell for leather as far as raw damage goes works as a tactic?

New game+ Etna Mode in the DS version had enemies with high levels but pathetic weapons, making them do little enough damage relative to their massive health pools that a meatwall was very viable.

Looks like NI didn't get the message I was trying to send them by buying Disgaea DS and Phantom Brave Wii. I'd feel bad hoping that the PSP version of Phantom Brave flops, but honestly I'm wondering whether NI will ever make a game I'm willing to be able to play ever again.

jothki on
    edited November 2010
    Disgaea PSP outsold Disgaea DS, I believe, which is why there's a Disgaea 2 PSP and not a Disgaea 2 DS.
    (Also because it'd look like garbage)

cj iwakura on
    y3H3Fa4.png