As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fucking Cheese, how does it culture?

1235»

• Options
    The.White.AcreThe.White.Acre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    thanks, The Cat and Passerbye. I will do, although Mosmon and some of the other places of the shops mentioned are REALLY far out of the way. I'll definantly check out DJs though, and any markets I can find when I go shopping- Sydney has the best range of almost anything in Australia, although antiques are much better in adelaide.

Also:
    Hey, I have a cheese question.

About four years ago, I used to live in Japan. While I was there, I started eating alot of this stuff called "baby cheese" which is pretty much a bunch of little foiled bite-size packets of cheese. I know one type was chedder, but there was also another that I started eating after buying it by mistake. It didnt really look much different but had a bit of a different taste to it, but it was only a bit above subtle (if that makes sense). From memory, it may have been a cheese foriegn to Japan, (guessing by the alphabet used), but it was four years ago, so I'm really unsure. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could have been?

It was like chedder (yellow and stuff, though I think it might have been slightly softer.). It is also the best cheese I have ever tasted. Does anyone have any idea what it may have been? Random guesses that fit the vague discription are fine, it will give me somewhere to start in looking for it.

The.White.Acre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Was there a large red cow on the packaging?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Laughing_Cow

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've tried many flavors of The Laughing Cow cheese and they all taste exactly the same.

adytum on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    I've tried many flavors of The Laughing Cow cheese and they all taste exactly the same.

I dunno, the 'Swiss' tastes vaguely bitter and tangy. And the 'Cheddar' tastes a little smokier.

They're all equally bland, though. :P

Passerbye on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm not sure if anything like this has been mentioned yet, but Black River Cheese in Prince Edward County in Ontario makes some fantastic Cheddars. http://www.pec.on.ca/blackrivercheese/about.html

Their 6 year cheddar is so amazing. What makes it interesting to me, is the Cheese company actually burnt down a little over 6 years ago. So the place burnt down, and immediately upon rebuilding they made a batch of cheese that has been ageing since then.

But what really tickles my fancy is their maple Cheddar. They take aged cheddar, shred it, and soak it in pure maple syrup before pressing it back into blocks. So good.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ianator wrote: »
    Tillamook 3-year Cheddar (the black-label)

This is the best cheese ever.

Anyway, living in Wisconsin I feel obligated to have a cheese party, yet I am having a heck of a time finding a good selection of exotic cheeses around here. It's all Cheddar, Provolone, Colby and Muenster... not that I'm complaining, mind you!

If I do have a cheese party, what cheeses should I get besides the classics?

(And dammit! Where do you get plain Wendslydale in the States?)

Whole Foods has quite a nice selection

override367 on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ho-lee crap. Spent about twenty minutes taking stock of what all's in my Costco's "fancy" cheese cooler. Anyone wanting to look it over and suggest, oh, three things for me to get next paycheck?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Guys, guys. I wanna make the best cheeseburgers with beef, lettuce, tomato and cheese, but I don't know which cheese to pick and since it's kind of expensive to buy, I'd like some advice. I've tried Gouda with good result, but the taste isn't very penetrating though the beef. It's sort of just texture.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    Guys, guys. I wanna make the best cheeseburgers with beef, lettuce, tomato and cheese, but I don't know which cheese to pick and since it's kind of expensive to buy, I'd like some advice. I've tried Gouda with good result, but the taste isn't very penetrating though the beef. It's sort of just texture.

I find that a nice, sharp cheddar tends to go well with beef, be it roast beef or ground beef.

I also like pepper jack on burgers. Muenster has worked surprisingly well, too.

BigBear on
  • Options
    StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ianator wrote: »
    Tillamook 3-year Cheddar (the black-label)

If I do have a cheese party, what cheeses should I get besides the classics?

Well, the cave aged Gruyère mentioned previously is a good choice. Goes very well with red wine as well, unlike blue cheese.

If you can find some Monte Enebro then go for that.

queso-monte-enebro.jpg

As good as a chevre style goats cheese gets, IMO.

Stolly on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gorgonzola is great on burgers. So is feta.

adytum on
  • Options
    citizenMckeecitizenMckee Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cheese Query:

What is the process of aging cheese? Is it anaerobic, so one could take a medium cheddar to a sharp by letting it sit in a dark cool place in factory packaing for a couple years instead of paying double or sometimes triple the cost of the base cheese?

citizenMckee on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Djanvk wrote: »
    Havelock wrote: »
    I recently had this cheese that was somewhat like limburger, but the smell was about three times more rank. You could open the ziploc it was in and in about three seconds smell it from about five to seven feet away, like someone was jamming their big toe up your nose. It had an awesome flavor to it though, and it went well with the coldcuts I had out. Creamy texture to it, almost like butter. Can't remember the name of it to save my life though.

That sounds like a cheese up where I"m at, it's a Aged brick with a limberger smear all across it. Quite potent smelling but if you can get past the smell it's great. Try a sandwich with a slice of that with braunschwiger on it.

The rank-smelling good-tasting mystery cheese I had was called Tilsiter Cheese.

Focusing past the smell is what I forced myself to do with this cheese. I had it at a family gathering, and everyone shunned the hell out of this stuff, while my grandpa (who's from Vienna) stubbornly defended it, so I thought I'd give it a fair shake.

Havelock on
  • Options
    The.White.AcreThe.White.Acre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, I missed the comment about Central Markets in Adeliade, I know exactly where that is, because I did a fair amount of shopping right near by at China town for japanese cooking ingredients and stuff. I'll definantly take a better look around next time I'm down there.

I also took a better look at the woolworths cheese section, and I have decided to try something new every time the budget allows. They dont have a huge range, but I found edam yesterday and tried it... it tastes like chedder. I don't think it was worth the extra money, based on how similar the taste is. It's not bad though.

also, does anyone know what a "cheese pear" is for? I found one and it aroused my curiosity.

The.White.Acre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]