As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valkyria Chronicles Thread: >Be teenage girl from another universe.

1353637383941»

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I really need a VC sig that I can link to the Steam store page with a caption saying "BUY THIS NOW". Do we still have that bunch of sigs from previous threads?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Here's another notch for the game: This thing runs amazing on integrated graphics. 720 and with minor screen tearing mind you, but if you can deal with that, it's utterly rock solid. I always thought this game was a bit of a graphical powerhouse, but I guess not.

My only chief complaint goes back to the slightly ecliptic controls. The opening menus seem to jump between wanting an enter or spacebar press. No mouse control for menus, but at least WASD doubles for the arrow keys. Mouse controls took a little experimentation to figure out, but now they're fine (left click is spacebar, middle is escape, and right is E. Slightly unweildly in menus, but that's fire/cancel/aim in battle which is great). And as solid as the movement controls in battle are, there are some outliers (the mouse scroll for aiming seems really slow, so you're better off reaching for the num pad to do it, and the only way to slowly walk is to do the same reach for the arrow keys. Simply put both actions don't feel all that natural to do with your left hand).

I have to wonder if most of the issues are simply because it's a console game, and there's only so much they can do without cracking the code all the way open, and risk more issues. Either way, while I occasionally trip up on the menus from time to time, the game overall is a joy to play again.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I honestly think someone should make a new thread since this OP is like four years old

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Here's another notch for the game: This thing runs amazing on integrated graphics. 720 and with minor screen tearing mind you, but if you can deal with that, it's utterly rock solid. I always thought this game was a bit of a graphical powerhouse, but I guess not.

My only chief complaint goes back to the slightly ecliptic controls. The opening menus seem to jump between wanting an enter or spacebar press. No mouse control for menus, but at least WASD doubles for the arrow keys. Mouse controls took a little experimentation to figure out, but now they're fine (left click is spacebar, middle is escape, and right is E. Slightly unweildly in menus, but that's fire/cancel/aim in battle which is great). And as solid as the movement controls in battle are, there are some outliers (the mouse scroll for aiming seems really slow, so you're better off reaching for the num pad to do it, and the only way to slowly walk is to do the same reach for the arrow keys. Simply put both actions don't feel all that natural to do with your left hand).

I have to wonder if most of the issues are simply because it's a console game, and there's only so much they can do without cracking the code all the way open, and risk more issues. Either way, while I occasionally trip up on the menus from time to time, the game overall is a joy to play again.

Pretty much this. My impression from the controls is that they're basically a wrapper that converts KBAM input to something the game's already used to. I'm sure rebuilding the menus with this in mind would've taken a lot more effort. It works fine in combat - mentally I'm still adjusting to the idea of playing it without a controller and getting used to the gameplay again, so stuff like ending the turn ASAP is on me - but yeah, menus have taken some getting used to.

Still, interface nitpicks haven't gotten in the way of enjoying the game again. The gooey tactical center is intact, and goddamn does it look gorgeous at 1680x1050 set to the refresh rate. I haven't gotten used to how quickly the game loads or saves either; talking like fifteen seconds from a cold stop to gameplay, and thirteen of those seconds are from the splash screen and menu animation.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I honestly think someone should make a new thread since this OP is like four years old

On it.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Did

Did the OP's anti-Semitism read differently in 2010's G&T, or

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I want to say he was going for irony?

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Considering the Darcsen-Jewish parallel is about as subtle as a shotgun fired at a gong, I'm going to say it was intended to be ironic.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
This discussion has been closed.