As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Valkyria Chronicles Thread: >Be teenage girl from another universe.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    "War is Hell." -> "Yay, high school!" -> "War, F yeah."

Ugh, I hate the anime high school cliche storm so much.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I apologize in advance for getting your hopes up, but look at my birthday present from my wife!
    zUxLl.jpg

Wow, the cover of the second design archive looks a lot cleaner. Might pick it up to go with the first (guess there's no chance of getting the third, sigh).

Does anyone know how VC2 handles on a PSVita? I remember the camera being a bit of a pain on the PSP.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The middle one looks totally out of place when compared with the other two.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    PLA
    Is it the theme, the comparative lack of detail, the loli or the frankly ludicrous tits? :P

ladi.png
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    There's no change on the Vita really, because you have to map the d-pad, buttons or stick to the right analog. However, VC2 and 3 use L-R and triangle-X so it doesn't help.

You guys hate on VC2 too much. It's a great game. Better if you play it in Japanese. OK, maybe ONLY good if you do. But still...

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
    I'm sure it's pretty okay, its just got a really big cast of anime stereotype characters who I couldn't bring myself to care for (I am pretty sure there was a sister complex kid) and way too many repeated maps up til July, which I think is how far I played. Also ergh at the randomness with getting upgrade tokens.

It's just a lot worse than the first game, is all.

ladi.png
    edited July 2012
    I think a lot of people didn't respect 2 (or 3) because they were PSP games, but I'd take a PSP sequel over a prequel or otherwise non-flagship title any day. I actually respect SEGA for having the balls to move the series to a new system. Even if it's temporary, I like knowing that the handheld games I played were actual series installments, not just some lame side games developed externally.

I know that's not the only reason it's hated, though.

astronautcowboy3 on
    The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
    I think a lot of people didn't (and won't) get a chance to respect VC3 because Sega are douchenozzles who are only focusing on their four main IPs outside of Japan (Sonic, Football Manager, ???).

The only reason I might care if a title is a spinoff rather than a main title entry is if that means it has a B-Team working on it, like you said. I don't even care about platform - I've put 200 hours into Tactics Ogre and significantly more into the Pokemon series, it's just that the PSP was a poor fit for the strengths of the original game.

It's fine; Valkyria Chronicles is my tragedy of this game generation, just like Dark Chronicle was my tragedy of last generation. Clearly guys should stop putting Chronicle into game titles.

ladi.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I apologize in advance for getting your hopes up, but look at my birthday present from my wife!

Swaaank. Did that second one ever get translated, then? Because the first was awesome, I'd pick the second up in a heartbeat if it was.
    Shen wrote: »
    I think a lot of people didn't (and won't) get a chance to respect VC3 because Sega are douchenozzles who are only focusing on their four main IPs outside of Japan (Sonic, Football Manager, ???).

The only reason I might care if a title is a spinoff rather than a main title entry is if that means it has a B-Team working on it, like you said. I don't even care about platform - I've put 200 hours into Tactics Ogre and significantly more into the Pokemon series, it's just that the PSP was a poor fit for the strengths of the original game.

It's fine; Valkyria Chronicles is my tragedy of this game generation, just like Dark Chronicle was my tragedy of last generation. Clearly guys should stop putting Chronicle into game titles.

Bolded part is where I am. VC1 was so goddamn good, and I had tons of fun with VC2 in spite of the disjointed plot. Both games were unsubtle cliche storms, though it definitely was more pronounced in the sequel. I can live with that, in my opinion lack of focus was 2's real problem. But to see this series sputter out and die thanks to foreseeable issues - part of which being any sales plan that includes the words "PSP" and "America" - is depressing, to say the least.

Incidentally, finally got to the DLC for the first game. Doing this with Ruhm right now.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    I think the second volume just came out in English. These books are amazing, though. They'd be worth owning in Japanese, even.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    That is one sweet gift from your wife. Congrats dude!

I forgot to post in here that I did try to log into the card game website but it was down from the beta (?) test so wasn't available.

As for the series, I loved VC1 on the PS3. VC2 was ok but I didn't enjoy it as much as 1 but I blame that on my game preferences more than the game itself. The strategy was great and really interesting. I liked what they did given the PSP's limitations in the end. At first I wasn't too thrilled about it, but I had fun playing it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The second one came out in English 2-3 months ago, yes. I own it.

• VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I loved VC1 (it felt like Ken Burns decided he loved Anime as much as war documentaries and decided to blend the two). Everytime I got Jane and Hans to do supporting fire was hilarious.

Was very excited to hear that not only was there a VC2 but also a VC3 in the works! But then realized VC2 was for PSP and VC3 was apparently not coming to the USA. Bleh. Why do good games like to hop across platforms when they do their sequels?

Maybe VC2 will show up on the PSN store at some point for the PS3. I dunno.
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Edit: The sad part is, they totally could have left the japanese voices and just thrown in subtitles and english menus. I'd have been fine with that.

Given the quality of Japanese voice acting versus American voice acting (especially for high school ages) this would have probably been the best choice, instead of simply an acceptable one.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    You guys hate on VC2 too much. It's a great game. Better if you play it in Japanese. OK, maybe ONLY good if you do. But still...

Oh, the gameplay is great, don't get me wrong. I love the gameplay (other than grinding for randomly-assigned upgrade tickets); it's all the VC strategy I like from the first one, and as a fan of the first game I'll still recommend the second.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I had a hell of a lot of fun with VC2 and sometimes the tiny maps worked rather nicely in terms of strategy, so I wouldn't even necessarily state that as being a total downside. The only thing that annoys me about it is that I bought the DLC to use with my UMD copy of it, and the Digital Version price hasn't been dropped at all. And I mention the DLC because yes I know the bundle is cheaper than the base game, but I already own all of the DLC grah. I can't bring myself to do that.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    I bought VC3 digitally a few weeks before the E2 announcement. I demand your (more) pity!

There might be a god out there because there's a team of seven out there currently fan-translating Valkyria Chronicles 3 (Extra Edition included) that have been showing screenshots and videos of their progress.

If only Sega would do it themselves. :(

There was a huge thread about it on GameFAQs but apparently the whole thing got deleted because someone mentioned pirating in a single post. Apparently.

i mean, it's still possible to import the game, rip it, and patch it yourself (what I plan on doing). But you're going to need CFW or an Emulator to play it.

edited July 2012

Edy Detachment is okay, but Japan needs to swap that for Anisette if they want to close the deal for me.

...don't judge me.
    i mean, it's still possible to import the game, rip it, and patch it yourself (what I plan on doing). But you're going to need CFW or an Emulator to play it.

Well, hope springs eternal. Got CFW on the PSP and a legit copy anyway, so now it's down to the waiting game. Good to know that some work is being done, even if it's a ways off.

Stolls on
    You mean Licorice? ;)

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Are they ever going to make another one of these for the console?
    I really enjoyed VC1 but can't be bothered to get into the PSP/Vita.

You mean Licorice? ;)

One of the greater mysteries of the localization, to be sure. Dat irritated noise <3
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Are they ever going to make another one of these for the console?
    I really enjoyed VC1 but can't be bothered to get into the PSP/Vita.

Much as it pains me to admit, that's not in the cards* for the near future. Even aside from Sega's current state, the general industry mindset seems to be if it doesn't sell mega-millions in the first week or so, you won't hear about it ever again. I don't have good sales figures - wikipedia suggests it eventually cracked a million but didn't do well at launch - but it's my understanding the game had a long tail; modest success stretched out over a while, with sales continuing even years later based on positive word-of-mouth. Ideally there shouldn't be anything wrong with this, but right now there's too much focus on the short-term. Shit, I'd buy it again if they plunked a digital release on PC**.

*Perhaps a poor choice of words considering the recent browser-based CCG.

**I'd also like a dune buggy, as long as I'm dreaming.

If any of you are playing Valkyria Chronicles DUEL, I started a 連合 on the East side called "JRPGクラブ" so please join up. :winky:

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    You mean Licorice? ;)

One of the greater mysteries of the localization, to be sure. Dat irritated noise <3

Not really a great mystery.

Licorice is only a good name if it's just some meaningless foreign word. In English it's a dumb as hell name and they were right to change it, and they did well in choosing a name with thematic ties to her original name.

edited July 2012
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Stolls wrote: »
    You mean Licorice? ;)

Not really a great mystery.

Licorice is only a good name if it's just some meaningless foreign word. In English it's a dumb as hell name and they were right to change it, and they did well in choosing a name with thematic ties to her original name.

I was mostly kidding, but I also picked the wrong word for it. Was just puzzled why "Licorice" in the first place.

Ace shocktrooper in any case. That HP-regen potential came in handy more than once.

Stolls on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    http://www.humblebundle.com/

There is now a Humble Music Bundle available, and one of the products is a "Best of the Valkyria Chronicles" soundtrack.

I made a guide for signing up for Valkyria Chronicles DUEL. If you want to play, follow these instructions.

• CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    It's not much, but the VC3 artbook will be getting released in English.

http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/udon/announcing-valkyria-chronicles-3-complete-artworks-9-page-preview/

"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
    It certainly won't hurt. MAYBE it will open SEGA's eyes. And that book is awesome. Definitely get it!

Well, if it's anywhere as close to as awesome as the other two books, it's well worth getting. They're easily the best game artbooks I own and I own a few. Chock full of rough sketches, unused ideas, preliminary character sketches, design notes covering everything...

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I'll definitely pick it up. If anything to read more about the game I never bought. Ended up not importing it because all the sellers I could find wanted way too much for it (if they had it at all).

Oh and I have to post the obligatory, "I want to smack you for once again raising my hopes that perhaps SEGA decided to bring VC3 over." Nothing personal, just business. =P

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have the Japanese release of the VC3 artbook and it's very nice.

"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'm sad about not having consoles that play all of these, but I also think the first one seems best, and I've played that one fine.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    2 is kinda weird with the whole high school setting. I mean I can kinda give it a pass since its a different/fictional culture (and I just finished playing Persona 3 & 4 a few months earlier), but the whole "power of friendship" thing is really hokey.

newSig.jpg
  • ystaelystael Registered User regular
    Sorry for asking dumb questions, but I don't have any experience with digital imports. Is VC3 on PSN in Japan? If so, and if I make a Japanese PSN account like cj iwakura explained in the Dragon Force thread, can I play it on my US PSP without destroying anything else on it?

CyborgZeta wrote: »

English-translated companion book to a game that is not, itself, translated.

There are no actual people in Sega's decision-making process anymore, are there? It's just a script that selects yes/no at random.

I may have to buy it but I don't have to like it.

ystael wrote: »
    Sorry for asking dumb questions, but I don't have any experience with digital imports. Is VC3 on PSN in Japan? If so, and if I make a Japanese PSN account like cj iwakura explained in the Dragon Force thread, can I play it on my US PSP without destroying anything else on it?
    VC3 is available on PSN in Japan. But your PSP needs to be set to your Japanese PSN account to play it, from what I understand.

edited September 2012
    What you'll need to do is log out and disable your US account on your PSP, and switch to your Japanese account to play it. Then, when you want to play your US games again (this is digital copies, or DLC only, by the way) you have to switch back to the US account. It's a minor inconvenience, but if you intend to switch back and for a LOT, it could become a major pain.

astronautcowboy3 on
This discussion has been closed.