As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valkyria Chronicles Thread: >Be teenage girl from another universe.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Game just patched, no idea what for though. Nothing relevant in the game's news.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Game just patched, no idea what for though. Nothing relevant in the game's news.

Well, the "Game crashes the first time you leave the HQ" issue I had happened frequently enough that there was already a helpful topic on the Steam forums about it to circumvent the problem.

Hopefully that's fixed now.

• Options
    Patch Update 11/11/2014

- Fix for quiet/off-pitch audio (SFX and VO) during battles.
    - Fixed DLC not installing correctly.

So that's what they patched.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I've been trying to find a good price on this for years. maybe it'll hit steam sale... or I'll just bite the bullet because god damn I've been wanting to play this for years

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I just hope we get VC3.

They could honestly skip over 2 and I wouldn't be that upset.

3 is the good sequel.

Well, we're at least getting some VC3-costumes in Phantasy Star Nova.

Ahaha!

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying this...but I'm bad at videogames. Took me 3 tries to beat the mission where you girst get the Edelweiss.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    You also probably missed the ace :P

Just you know from now on, some missions have an "ace" enemy who has a special name. Killing them unlocks a new type of gun for you to use. It's not hugely important, but it's nice to have.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »

Just you know from now on, some missions have an "ace" enemy who has a special name. Killing them unlocks a new type of gun for you to use. It's not hugely important, but it's nice to have.
    Yes. I probably did.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    He was hidden in an alley near where Welkin spawns in.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Not always since many of those guns are terrible.

Though seriously, kill them since they can murder your squad far more than standard grunts.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Interesting. Never finished the first one (always would get distracted). I was about to lament cost (without having seen it) and just saw it is 20 bucks. Feh. The cost of a subpar Indian curry. I'll take it.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    If you go to Greenman Gaming, you can get it for even less with one of their vouchers (you can pretty much always find a 20% off one)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'd like to pick this up to play though again but with the WoW expansion out in a day i just cant put the time into it yet.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular

Though seriously, kill them since they can murder your squad far more than standard grunts.

Fuck. Ty. The. Immortal.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah, those were the guys I mentioned with insane clairvoyance. You don't duck a sniper round to the back of your head. You just don't.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Oh God, Scouts are... probably actually pretty useful, but first I need to learn how to use them.

Their high movement range makes them good at running to the front. Their low defense and HP make them terrible at being at the front.

At least I more or less know where I stand with Stormtroopers and Snipers.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I recall scouts becoming godly once they get rifle grenades.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Oh God, Scouts are... probably actually pretty useful, but first I need to learn how to use them.

Their high movement ranges makes them good at running to the front. Their low defense and HP makes them terrible at being at the front.

You'll get the hang of it. Soon you'll be just running Alicia straight to the flag and two-turning maps, with a little support from Marina in the back.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I recall scouts becoming godly once they get rifle grenades.

They become pretty good, but godly is reserved for one in particular who has stupid potentials.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Stolls wrote: »

Fuck. Ty. The. Immortal.

I didn't actually think he was that bad. His second appearance was probably the worst for me. His first one was hilariously easy to kill. Toss a grenade, then shoot. Ez. To be fair though, he never dodged much for me which I hear was a huge problem for others.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, scouts' mobility generally offsets their lower defense, especially once you get rifle grenades and the really fun potentials. It's possible to break the game in half with the right combination of orders.

Bear in mind I use broken to mean "can easily complete the mission," not "can solo that tank head-on." If your scout doesn't dodge that shocktrooper's return fire - or they get any bright ideas like 'don't waste command points doing nothing with the tank on the ass end of the map' - they could be in for a world of hurt. But yeah, most of the A-rank strategies involve capturing flags as soon as possible, which means getting across the map is a priority.

Never really played that way myself, though. Sometimes it means savescumming, and I found it way more fun to roll the tank out and set up proper lines of fire before advancing.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

Their high movement range makes them good at running to the front. Their low defense and HP make them terrible at being at the front.

On the PS3 and some maps, I would use the Scouts to run to cap flags, and then call in reinforcements halfway across the map. There is a desert map:
    That I believe I got down to three moves, while using the tank to clean up and get extra monies from kills. . .

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I do wish my low level scouts could throw a grenade a little farther. Like over ten feet would be nice. :)

Is it a good idea to level up all the classes pretty evenly, or are there benefits to be had pushing one or two further faster?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Well, the ones that you might want to push further cost more xp than the others. Why not keep your engineers up to the same level as your scouts when they cost about 1/4 the xp?

I tend to level up scouts, shocktroopers, and snipers. If I have spare XP after that, I try to level one of those up again, then I level up lancers and engineers with whatever's left.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Well, the ones that you might want to push further cost more xp than the others. Why not keep your engineers up to the same level as your scouts when they cost about 1/4 the xp?

I tend to level up scouts, shocktroopers, and snipers. If I have spare XP after that, I try to level one of those up again, then I level up lancers and engineers with whatever's left.

Scouts and shocktroopers are probably the most useful to level, followed by the other three (who are all more specialized in what you want them to do... while scouts and shocktroopers can fight basically everything but tanks... and still deal not-insignificant damage to tanks if they can hit the radiators). I would maybe put lancers slightly ahead of snipers and engis because of a couple particular maps, but even then...

I mean, if you just go down the list leveling them evenly you'll be fine, but sacrificing one or two levels in the latter three for an extra bit on the first two doesn't hurt.

I suppose until you get rifle grenades scouts are slightly lower priority than shocktroopers, but once both classes have their weapon choices, it's a dead heat, or even scouts pulling ahead, depending on the situation.

Meanwhile, make sure to keep the Edelweiss up to date, because it is very much your trump card. It's also disgustingly effective if you can get it to provide supporting fire for a bunch of other units (because then you get relatively devastating machine gun fire from it without using the 2 CP to actually move it, but supporting fire in general is pretty effective).

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Shocktroopers are the best. Scouts will win you the game, but Shocks are your bread and butter.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Yeah, I think I usually deployed one sniper and engi most maps, two each scout and lancer, and filled the rest of the slots with shocks. The lancers might go to three for particular maps (often dropping the sniper, because said maps generally have no work for snipers).

• Options
    Scouts are excellent... until they run headfirst into 2 or more shocktroopers, and die to suppressing fire before you can respond. I tend to use scouts to rush ahead, with snipers or shocks clearing the path as required. I don't use lancers much, unless I have to.

Not sure if this counts as a spoiler, but related to levelling:
    At level 10, I believe, scouts and shocktroopers get special weapons. It's definitely worth levelling them at another unit's expense to get those a bit faster.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Scouts are excellent... until they run headfirst into 2 or more shocktroopers, and die to suppressing fire before you can respond. I tend to use scouts to rush ahead, with snipers or shocks clearing the path as required. I don't use lancers much, unless I have to.

Not sure if this counts as a spoiler, but related to levelling:
    At level 10, I believe, scouts and shocktroopers get special weapons. It's definitely worth levelling them at another unit's expense to get those a bit faster.

Yeah, intercepting fire is a problem... except for the god scout, who has passives to basically ignore it entirely.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Snipers are iffy. Good support, but their entire spiel is hitting things and sometimes they don't do that.

Marina "Fist of God" Wulfstan is the exception.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Yeah, those were the guys I mentioned with insane clairvoyance. You don't duck a sniper round to the back of your head. You just don't.

That's why I try to shoot their feet when I have time to spare for the kill.

Duck down all you like. Just puts your head in front of my bullets.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Snipers are iffy. Good support, but their entire spiel is hitting things and sometimes they don't do that.

Marina is win. And if you're lucky, she'll win twice in one turn, when you get all her passives.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Arrrgh.

Mission... 4 spoilers? The forest.
    Man I forgot how much this game prioritizes prior knowledge in order to beat missions in a clean fashion. That damn AT gun above the supply base ended up fucking me over for the simple reason that in order to actually get at it from the rear (aka: at all) you need to run run up a path that 1: has a tank trap in front of it, 2: has AT mines in front of it, and 3: has a goddamn log tossed across the road, which requires the Edelweiss to break.

And the only way you could know this is to run a unit up there, since log roadblocks don't show up on the map.

• Options

I cant wait to get to the point where she's that good, because first mission I fielded her in, she hit the target once....throughout the entire mission. I took 6 shots with her.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

I cant wait to get to the point where she's that good, because first mission I fielded her in, she hit the target once....throughout the entire mission. I took 6 shots with her.

That's higher to-hit% than my snipers so far - I've deployed them a few times, missed all shots and then they usually can't keep up with the front (since they waddle slower than a walking duck) and are forgotten behind the lines.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    God I hope this means they translate and release 3 on steam.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    What's with all the sniper hate? I always have at least one out somewhere, and I tend to use them 3 times on the first turn to remove 3 annoyances. I think I've had maybe 2 missed shots so far? Out of... 20? 30? They're only level 6ish.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Snipers benefit a lot when you upgrade their rifles a bit and boost their accuracy. All classes do but snipers especially.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Snipers benefit a lot when you upgrade their rifles a bit and boost their accuracy. All classes do but snipers especially.

Also remember to actually zoom in if you're not doing that.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
This discussion has been closed.