Options

Whats the coolest way you can think of to die

• Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jimninja wrote:
    itt we're bringing saxy back (yup)

naporeon, what brass did you play? I always wanted to learn the French horn, but I also realize what kind of effort would have to go into that...
    French Horn was my specialty, as it happens.

I started on Trumpet, but was never good enough to be top chair at my fairly musical high school. So I switched around. French Horn and Tuba were my two biggest instruments for my junior and senior years.

Also, my senior year of high school, my schedule was as follows:

1. Calculus TA
    2. Independent Music (sometimes joined Freshman Brass)
    3. Contemporary Issues (required civics course)
    4. Symphonic Band (sometimes joined Orchestra)
    LUNCH
    5. Jazz Band
    6. Independent Music (sometimes joined Freshman Woodwinds)

naporeon on
  • Options
    jimninjajimninja Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    jimninja wrote:

naporeon, what brass did you play? I always wanted to learn the French horn, but I also realize what kind of effort would have to go into that...

I started on Trumpet, but was never good enough to be top chair at my fairly musical high school. So I switched around. French Horn and Tuba were my two biggest instruments for my junior and senior years.

1. Calculus TA
    LUNCH
    5. Jazz Band

Oh man, that is so beautiful... our jazz band has to meet before school on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and my band class is only forty-five minutes a day.

(plus that schedule is kind of eerie because right now I am in calculus and a required civics course :shock: )

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:
    I remember you holding them upside down and blowing into the bell, but I don't think that's how it works.

Trust, me. They gave me a degree in this stuff.

Besides I play all four now.

:P

Hey

That was comedy.

Did I tell you that the clarinet professor told me at the end of last semester that I need to audition for the department and get a degree in music ed?

Thanks so much for waiting until the semester before I graduate, asshole.

That blows. You can't stay an extra year for something like that?

I know I would terrible at being a music teacher. I would be like the Ditka of music teaching. I'd be all what the fuck was that, you call that a g# sharp? Then I'd prolly punch them in the face and force them all to play percussion in the back so I don't have to look at their terrible embrochures.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:
    I remember you holding them upside down and blowing into the bell, but I don't think that's how it works.

Hey

That was comedy.

Did I tell you that the clarinet professor told me at the end of last semester that I need to audition for the department and get a degree in music ed?

I know I would terrible at being a music teacher. I would be like the Ditka of music teaching. I'd be all what the fuck was that, you call that a g# sharp? Then I'd prolly punch them in the face and force them all to play percussion in the back so I don't have to look at their terrible embrochures.

It would take. . . four more semesters or so, I think. I have all the ensemble requirements out of the way (fuck, at this point I have enough ensemble requirements for three music majors). But I can't afford to stay. I told him that if he got me a scholarship, I'd do it.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:

Hey

That was comedy.

Otaku what exactly is your job because I bet it kicks ass

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jimninja wrote:
    naporeon wrote:
    jimninja wrote:

1. Calculus TA
    LUNCH
    5. Jazz Band

Oh man, that is so beautiful... our jazz band has to meet before school on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and my band class is only forty-five minutes a day.

(plus that schedule is kind of eerie because right now I am in calculus and a required civics course :shock: )
    Our jazz band serves the same purpose that many high schools' football teams serve. Our dinner show at the end of the year, a something like $30/plate shindig, was kind of a big event in the community. We traveled a lot, played jazz festivals, that sort of thing.

To put things in perspective, my parents had vinyl records of the high school jazz band, when I was growing up.

Independent music was awesome, because I basically used it to write music on the computers and learn new instruments. With so much music in my schedule, my embouchure grew so mighty that I was pretty much able to snap quarters in half, just using my lips.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    With so much music in my schedule, my embouchure grew so mighty that I was pretty much able to snap quarters in half, just using my lips.

:winky:

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:
    naporeon wrote:
    With so much music in my schedule, my embouchure grew so mighty that I was pretty much able to snap quarters in half, just using my lips.

But seriously, I haven't played much since college. And the only instruments I still own are my two trumpets. One for jazz, and one for orchestra.

I do wish I had a french horn, though. Still my favorite to listen to.

Thinking of music always makes me melancholy, because I wanted to pursue a career in it, before a stupid professor burnt me out on it forever. Thanks, college!

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    Sheri wrote:
    naporeon wrote:

But seriously, I haven't played much since college. And the only instruments I still own are my two trumpets. One for jazz, and one for orchestra.

Thinking of music always makes me melancholy, because I wanted to pursue a career in it, before a stupid professor burnt me out on it forever. Thanks, college!

Hey

Me, too.

I mean, besides being rejected from the department, I was burnt out on it before I could audition again (which I was planning to do).

So h5

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    jimninja wrote:
    naporeon wrote:
    jimninja wrote:

1. Calculus TA
    LUNCH
    5. Jazz Band

Our jazz band serves the same purpose that many high schools' football teams serve. Our dinner show at the end of the year, a something like $30/plate shindig, was kind of a big event in the community. We traveled a lot, played jazz festivals, that sort of thing.

To put things in perspective, my parents had vinyl records of the high school jazz band, when I was growing up.

Independent music was awesome, because I basically used it to write music on the computers and learn new instruments. With so much music in my schedule, my embouchure grew so mighty that I was pretty much able to snap quarters in half, just using my lips.

Dammit, that's a lot like our wrestling program.

I wish our band program and wrestling program would switch.

Maybe with time, it'll get there, though... We've fairly recently gotten a brand-new band teacher fresh out of college; I'm actually in the first class he had, so next year will be his fifth year teaching, and I think he's starting on his master's this summer (he's a tromboner ). So I can always dream of our mighty Jass Band touring the world, I guess.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jimninja wrote:
    Sheri wrote:

Hey

That was comedy.

Right now my job is unemployment and trying to get into grad school.

But in the summer months it is pit orchestras and working at an outdoor concert venue so for three months I get to everything from the NSO to musicals to Huey Lewis and the News to Meatloaf. It's pretty bitchin' considering they pay me to listen to music all night.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:
    naporeon wrote:
    Sheri wrote:
    naporeon wrote:

Hey

Me, too.

I mean, besides being rejected from the department, I was burnt out on it before I could audition again (which I was planning to do).

So h5
    Well, I've read about your ordeal. Much, much worse than mine. I just had a professor that wouldn't let me test out of the first two Music Theory courses. So I took them, resented it, and ended up hating music for a year or two.

On the bright side, college was where I finally got into singing. My ex, a singer, convinced me to audition for a studio course, with 1-on-1 time with the professor. It was a great experience.

Also, if I had a scanner, I would totally be posting pictures of me in my drum major uniform.

D:

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jimninja wrote:
    Sheri wrote:

Hey

That was comedy.

Right now my job is unemployment and trying to get into grad school.

But in the summer months it is pit orchestras and working at an outdoor concert venue so for three months I get to everything from the NSO to musicals to Huey Lewis and the News to Meatloaf. It's pretty bitchin' considering they pay me to listen to music all night.

oh man I want to be a music hobo when I grow up

naporeon: man, what kind of professor did you have that burnt you out on a music career? :shock: And you should totally pawn off one of those trumpets for a horn.

edit: apparently that kind, I'm just slow

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Damnit, Matt.

I'm trying to talk to you about how I could be a fucking music major. But, you know. Shaft'd.

Also, I just watched these guys on Leno and they are really cool.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    All these music horror stories. Makes me feel like one of the lucky ones.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I would, jimninja, but the issue is that a horn is roughly 73 times more expensive than a trumpet.

But on point of fact, I could afford to just buy one in a couple months (after I've recovered from the $3,000 in taxes I have to pay). Maybe I'll do it.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:
    Damnit, Matt.

I'm trying to talk to you about how I could be a fucking music major. But, you know. Shaft'd.

do it (do it)

do it (do it)

do it (do it)

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    Well, I've read about your ordeal. Much, much worse than mine. I just had a professor that wouldn't let me test out of the first two Music Theory courses. So I took them, resented it, and ended up hating music for a year or two.

On the bright side, college was where I finally got into singing. My ex, a singer, convinced me to audition for a studio course, with 1-on-1 time with the professor. It was a great experience.

Also, if I had a scanner, I would totally be posting pictures of me in my drum major uniform.

D:

Sorry, I'm just still kind of angry about it. Especially now that I realize just how much I've done for this department, and realizing I'm not going to get any recognition for it because I'm not a music major -- and then I get this thrown in my face.

Angry.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:
    Damnit, Matt.

You should switch schools like right now. Like, screw senior year.

Go to Tufts. They will hook you up with the NEC post haste and it is awesome that way.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    intafustedintafusted Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Looks like the threads taken a different turn, but my 2 are being launched from a huge catapult over the ocean or on a rocket being shot at the sun.

intafusted on
  • Options
    MarcusMarcus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Guys I am auditioning for the UMass Music Department, but I don't know what instrument to do it on. Tuba, baritone, or trombone.

Marcus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    I would, jimninja, but the issue is that a horn is roughly 73 times more expensive than a trumpet.

But on point of fact, I could afford to just buy one in a couple months (after I've recovered from the $3,000 in taxes I have to pay). Maybe I'll do it.

Money

pff

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Actually, as angry as I am, I'm still kind of glad. Most of the music majors are totally fried in terms of both stress levels and music appreciation. It's getting to the point for a lot of them where they just don't like playing anymore.

Me, I have two majors that aren't music, but I'm in all three of the wind ensembles and the clarinet choir -- so I get the joy of playing music every single day, but none of the stress of lessons, juries, music theory, skills, etc.

The only thing is that, being in so many ensembles, I'm actually starting to get fried myself. :?

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:
    naporeon wrote:

D:

Sorry, I'm just still kind of angry about it. Especially now that I realize just how much I've done for this department, and realizing I'm not going to get any recognition for it because I'm not a music major -- and then I get this thrown in my face.

Angry.
    I'm sorry to hear about your drama. It sucks when situations like that screw people out of following (or at least indulging) a passion.

In other news, I am listening to some Kreisler right now. For an extra bonus, it's being played by a woman at whose wedding I was best man...a former violin soloist for the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:

Actually, as angry as I am, I'm still kind of glad. Most of the music majors are totally fried in terms of both stress levels and music appreciation. It's getting to the point for a lot of them where they just don't like playing anymore.

Me, I have two majors that aren't music, but I'm in all three of the wind ensembles and the clarinet choir -- so I get the joy of playing music every single day, but none of the stress of lessons, juries, music theory, skills, etc.

The only thing is that, being in so many ensembles, I'm actually starting to get fried myself. :?

Okay, so I actually have a question about this:

As of right now, I'm probably going to UW-Madison for college. But but but, Lawrence University still hasn't returned my acceptance/rejectance, and they have an absolutely kick ass conservatory there. So my question is, if I get into Lawrence, should I go for the conservatory and be a music major, or should I go to Madison, pursue some other course of education, and do what you've done and be in all the ensembles on the side?

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:

I'm kinda sick of the whole soloist scene thing and I've definitely taken a shine to more ensemble stuff anyway like quartets and stuff. I was so stressed about my senior recital and juries until I realized the judges didn't know half the stuff I was playing and couldn't see the music. After that I was having a grand ol time.

Hell, they started a sax ensemble this past fall. AFTER I GRADUATED AND WAS BANGING DOWN THE DOOR OF THE DEPARTMENT FOR FOUR YEARS TO GET SOMETHING LIKE THIS BUT THEN SOME GRAD STUDENT COMES ALONG AND IS ALL I WILL START ONE AND WE WILL PLAY GIGS AND EARN MONEY AND NOW THEY ARE AND I AM SO PISSED ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does anyone else find it kind of ironic that a thread about the coolest ways to die has turned into a discussion about where to attend college?

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jimninja wrote:
    Sheri wrote:

As of right now, I'm probably going to UW-Madison for college. But but but, Lawrence University still hasn't returned my acceptance/rejectance, and they have an absolutely kick ass conservatory there. So my question is, if I get into Lawrence, should I go for the conservatory and be a music major, or should I go to Madison, pursue some other course of education, and do what you've done and be in all the ensembles on the side?

Uh

That depends entirely on what you want to do, how much stress you can handle, etc etc.

I mean, I'll always be kind of disappointed that I don't get to do what I love for the rest of my life. I kind of had to give up on a dream and that sucks. But at the same time, I haven't gone on a murdering spree due to freaking out of a jury.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm kinda sick of the whole soloist scene thing and I've definitely taken a shine to more ensemble stuff anyway like quartets and stuff. I was so stressed about my senior recital and juries until I realized the judges didn't know half the stuff I was playing and couldn't see the music. After that I was having a grand ol time.

Hell, they started a sax ensemble this past fall. AFTER I GRADUATED AND WAS BANGING DOWN THE DOOR OF THE DEPARTMENT FOR FOUR YEARS TO GET SOMETHING LIKE THIS BUT THEN SOME GRAD STUDENT COMES ALONG AND IS ALL I WILL START ONE AND WE WILL PLAY GIGS AND EARN MONEY AND NOW THEY ARE AND I AM SO PISSED ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH.

Shoulda come to IUP.

Our top sax quartet is fantastic.

They go to Europe and stuff!

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Marcus wrote:
    Guys I am auditioning for the UMass Music Department, but I don't know what instrument to do it on. Tuba, baritone, or trombone.

Oh god. Oh god.

RUN.

George Parks will consume your soul. Like he will place his mouth over your head and suck out all your life essence without even touching you.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My ex girlfriend went into a music major for precussion, and burned herself out after just one year. She's changed her major to guitar, but so far that is starting to wear her down as well.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:
    Shoulda come to IUP.
    NOTORIOUS PARTY SCHOOL

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    Sheri wrote:
    Shoulda come to IUP.
    NOTORIOUS PARTY SCHOOL

Also a very good music school!

Or so I hear.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:

Shoulda come to IUP.

And leave Boston? May as well ask me to carve off my left nut. Which would be pretty bad considering I gave my right one so the Sox could win the world series.

And our Wind Ensemble went on tour every winter break so that was pretty cool. Got to go to Iceland, Dublin, and Prague which was pretty awesome.

Played 'You Can Call Me Al' with some private school oompa band. Best band experience ever.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:
    jimninja wrote:
    Sheri wrote:

Uh

That depends entirely on what you want to do, how much stress you can handle, etc etc.

I mean, I'll always be kind of disappointed that I don't get to do what I love for the rest of my life. I kind of had to give up on a dream and that sucks. But at the same time, I haven't gone on a murdering spree due to freaking out of a jury.

kk, thanks. I was just wondering whether you felt that a music major was something worth pursuing based on the fact that you hadn't gotten the opportunity to pursue one.

(I am kind of unsure what to do in college and am basically grasping at straws right now so that was the basis of that pretty random question :) )

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:
    naporeon wrote:
    Sheri wrote:
    Shoulda come to IUP.
    NOTORIOUS PARTY SCHOOL

Also a very good music school!

Or so I hear.
    Sure you hear it.

At parties.

naporeon on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What school do you attend in Boston?

Javen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sheri wrote:

Shoulda come to IUP.

And leave Boston? May as well ask me to carve off my left nut. Which would be pretty bad considering I gave my right one so the Sox could win the world series.

And our Wind Ensemble went on tour every winter break so that was pretty cool. Got to go to Iceland, Dublin, and Prague which was pretty awesome.

Played 'You Can Call Me Al' with some private school oompa band. Best band experience ever.

It's not like you'll ever need 'em.

<3

Sheri on
  • Options
    ham hammerham hammer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    man, the 80 pixels height limit for sigs is raping my choices

ham hammer on
    opprod84178lx5.jpg
    pokemon pearl friend code- 4897-2782-3202
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jimninja wrote:
    kk, thanks. I was just wondering whether you felt that a music major was something worth pursuing based on the fact that you hadn't gotten the opportunity to pursue one.

(I am kind of unsure what to do in college and am basically grasping at straws right now so that was the basis of that pretty random question :) )

Me personally, I'd tell you to go to Lawrence and if you get burned out on the music degree, switch to something else and do what I'm doing now. Because it's easier to be a music major and switch out than to do it the other way around. :P

t nap - You know I don't party!

Sheri on