As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]auqua Lake!

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God can we just legalize drugs already? There's got to be a better way for an overdriven science nerd to quietly destroy himself.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    most of the myths of absinthe that were created by prohibitionists and other social panickers were later embraced by bohemians (aka the hipsters of the 19th century) because they thought it was cool

you know how that lame buddy of yours will insist he's gotten shit-faced drunk off of non-alcoholic beer?

that is how it works with absinthe and hallucinations

people would be like "oh maaaan i'm freaking ouuuuuut" because they thought they were supposed to

Pony on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Feminism is one of the few political movements where a vocal fringe has marginalized the whole. People don't dismiss the republicans because of the tea party and they don't turn their backs on the democrats because of people that want to coddle the terrorists.

like what you just pointed out? anecdotes. Like I said before, the media has done a bang up job of portraying high academic feminism or fringe feminism as mainstream feminism, to the point where many of you refuse to identify as a feminist.

That's sort of true for other movements too. I mean, it's not as regular, or widespread, but people do portray racial equality movements based on fringes (They want reparations!) and so on.

That said, there are some things I strongly disagree with (a lot of) "mainstream" feminist about, but mostly with respect to transgenderism.

What annoys me is there are a number of problems that repeatedly pop up in mainstream feminism. But people never attack these, they tend to go off on some ridiculous rant against imagined slights set upon them by those mean feminists.

Leitner on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Despite the anemic graphics card I want to try playing a game on this laptop because playing a computer game on the bed or couch is a novel idea to me.

Anyone know of Mac games that are good and decent looking without running like shit?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Is Absynth really a great hallucinogen? I need some alternatives to developing a drug problem.

absinthe is not a hallucinogen

it's just very potent alcohol

it has absolutely no psychoactive properties and the tales of which are greatly exaggerated

i mean you might get drunk to the point of going blind but

people do mix absinthe with other narcotics (it was big with opium users back in the 19th century) which is why it's got a reputation of almost being a narcotic

but it's just really high-proof booze

I have heard of it being mixed with something that supposedly has hallucinogenic properties

Wormwood? Something like that. I don't know if that's true, though.

Nobody's actually been able to demonstrate that thujone (the hypothesized hallucinogen in wormwood) actually binds to any serotonin receptors in the way other well-known hallucinogens do. It's been hypothesized that it might mind to NMDA receptors in a fashion similar to dextromethorphan or PCP, but again nobody's been able to actually demonstrate that. On top of that, 19th century absinthe probably only contained trace amounts of thujone.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God can we just legalize drugs already? There's got to be a better way for an overdriven science nerd to quietly destroy himself.

C'mon man, I used to smoke pot daily and brag about it on the internet from work. You can sneak in some mushrooms or something and not turn it into a legal quandary.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'd say getting lost in your sex drive, but I dunno if there is enough jergens in the world to cause death.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    most of the myths of absinthe that were created by prohibitionists and other social panickers were later embraced by bohemians (aka the hipsters of the 19th century) because they thought it was cool

you know how that lame buddy of yours will insist he's gotten shit-faced drunk off of non-alcoholic beer?

that is how it works with absinthe and hallucinations

people would be like "oh maaaan i'm freaking ouuuuuut" because they thought they were supposed to

Well, mixing it with opium tincture probably helped.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Begrudging tolerance isn't really tolerance at all

This is my response to Will's post, especially his little bit at the end

Arch on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Yeah, unless you have something funny it can be incredibly simple. In it's most simple form your employer will mail you a form with info on how much you got paid and how much they withheld from you, you copy most of it and some basic information about yourself onto another piece of paper and send a copy of the paper your employer sent you and the one you filled out yourself to the government. Unless you're trying to get a bunch of exemptions or are self-employed you can usually just fill out a 1040 EZ, which does require being able to perform simple addition and subtraction, but is otherwise extremely simple.

See, here, unless you're self-employed in some capacity, HMRC (the equivalent of your IRS) assign you a code based on your circumstances. Your employer is given that code when you start working somewhere, and the code determines the amount they take directly out of your pay for income tax and national insurance (which pays for the state pension).

There are no forms.

Even if you have complicated investments and things, as long as they're held domestically the organisation managing it is obliged to deal with the tax side of things for you.

(this is japan by the way)

BobCesca on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Absynthe will really fuck you up though, I mean it's heavier than Bacardi 151.

I seriously, like "The hangover" style, lost the memory of an entire night of my life to that drink. I woke up across the county line... Worst, or possibly best, night of my life.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Is Absynth really a great hallucinogen? I need some alternatives to developing a drug problem.

absinthe is not a hallucinogen

it's just very potent alcohol

it has absolutely no psychoactive properties and the tales of which are greatly exaggerated

i mean you might get drunk to the point of going blind but

people do mix absinthe with other narcotics (it was big with opium users back in the 19th century) which is why it's got a reputation of almost being a narcotic

but it's just really high-proof booze

I have heard of it being mixed with something that supposedly has hallucinogenic properties

Wormwood? Something like that. I don't know if that's true, though.

Nobody's actually been able to demonstrate that thujone (the hypothesized hallucinogen in wormwood) actually binds to any serotonin receptors in the way other well-known hallucinogens do. It's been hypothesized that it might mind to NMDA receptors in a fashion similar to dextromethorphan or PCP, but again nobody's been able to actually demonstrate that. On top of that, 19th century absinthe probably only contained trace amounts of thujone.

plus the amount of thujone you would need to consume in order to theoretically have a hallucinogenic reaction would be incredibly toxic and you wouldn't be able to get that much from drinking absinthe without first dying of alcohol poisoning

Pony on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Feminism is one of the few political movements where a vocal fringe has marginalized the whole. People don't dismiss the republicans because of the tea party and they don't turn their backs on the democrats because of people that want to coddle the terrorists.

like what you just pointed out? anecdotes. Like I said before, the media has done a bang up job of portraying high academic feminism or fringe feminism as mainstream feminism, to the point where many of you refuse to identify as a feminist.

That's sort of true for other movements too. I mean, it's not as regular, or widespread, but people do portray racial equality movements based on fringes (They want reparations!) and so on.

That said, there are some things I strongly disagree with (a lot of) "mainstream" feminist about, but mostly with respect to transgenderism.

What annoys me is there are a number of problems that repeatedly pop up in mainstream feminism. But people never attack these, they tend to go off on some ridiculous rant against imagined slights set upon them by those mean feminists.

THEY THINK ALL SEX IS RAPE THOSE CRAZY FEMINAZIS

Does tend to derail discussions of a more moderate and useful nature.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    "Sure you can do what you want, and I encourage you to pursue what makes you happy. Doesn't mean I am not gonna judge you and think you have some sort of pathological disorder"

That

That isn't really tolerance Will.

And it is kind of offensive

Arch on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

I'd say getting lost in your sex drive, but I dunno if there is enough jergens in the world to cause death.

Yeah Bulgarian girl would be a freak in the sack but for some non-pathological inflammation that has been the cause of some consternation.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    I guess my big thing is respect. Begrudging tolerance isn't really tolerance at all, especially with the typical passive aggressive behavior and cognitive dissonance I regularly observe in day to day life. I know you can't make someone behave in a certain way, but there's my big peeve that I'll probably rant about on an off day: respect or the lack thereof.

begrudging tolerance is tolerance

it's right there!

what you're looking for is acceptance and even cognative equalization

which i don't think are things that can be reasonably demanded of another person

i'm not a big fan of passive agression and sniping and such, but mostly because i regard it as rude.

i think it's reasonable to expect basic courtesy from other people, and part of that is basic respect.

essentially, i think it's okay to demand that people behave properly, but think that no one has a right to tell you how to think or what to value.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so a first-year MBA student has taken to using the MBA-wide listserv as their own personal soapbox for their political opinions

I told him to cut it out, that even if I did agree with his opinions (I don't) the MBA listserv is not for him to spam people with political op/ed articles

Apparently he got all butthurt and went to the administration about it

I'm like, dude, you are 28, you are in a god damn MBA program. How the fuck do you expect to exist in the real world?? Quit being a fucking baby.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch, I think he meant the persecution complex some people have. Not sure though. Otherwise yeah that isn't tolerance Will.

Edit: Guess I was wrong. Saying someone has a pathological problem is not tolerance. Especially when large parts of that are just different wiring and such.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i don't know that there's a thing more saddening in a social situation than watching someone insist they are high or drunk off of something that couldn't possibly be doing that

this was really common in high school and it was soooo awkward and sad and hilarious

Pony on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I guess my big thing is respect. Begrudging tolerance isn't really tolerance at all, especially with the typical passive aggressive behavior and cognitive dissonance I regularly observe in day to day life. I know you can't make someone behave in a certain way, but there's my big peeve that I'll probably rant about on an off day: respect or the lack thereof.

begrudging tolerance is tolerance

it's right there!

what you're looking for is acceptance and even cognative equalization

which i don't think are things that can be reasonably demanded of another person

i'm not a big fan of passive agression and sniping and such, but mostly because i regard it as rude.

i think it's reasonable to expect basic courtesy from other people, and part of that is basic respect.

essentially, i think it's okay to demand that people behave properly, but think that no one has a right to tell you how to think or what to value.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, mixing it with opium tincture probably helped.

Good show, decadent aesthetes.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How is proper behaviour determined?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, the evidence that absinthe has any hallucinogenic properties at all is really weak. It's probably no more hallucinogenic than cough syrup.

I thought cough syrup was though? At least the ones with dextromethorphan or whatever.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    so a first-year MBA student has taken to using the MBA-wide listserv as their own personal soapbox for their political opinions

I told him to cut it out, that even if I did agree with his opinions (I don't) the MBA listserv is not for him to spam people with political op/ed articles

Apparently he got all butthurt and went to the administration about it

I'm like, dude, you are 28, you are in a god damn MBA program. How the fuck do you expect to exist in the real world?? Quit being a fucking baby.

Reminds me of when I told a lady at work I didn't want her christian shit in my email and asked her to take down her religious items. I mean fuck I believe in god, but not in the god damn workplace!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Arch, I think he meant the persecution complex some people have. Not sure though. Otherwise yeah that isn't tolerance Will.

Edit: Guess I was wrong. Saying someone has a pathological problem is not tolerance. Especially when large parts of that are just different wiring and such.

I was going off of his word choice of "unhealthy" in reference to lifestyle beforehand

Arch on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

People who are dead now decided for us.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

White people.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I mean we got a thread here right now where people are claiming that legally all sex should be rape.

And back in college some kids put a cardboard cutout of the president on their balcony and the womens resource center made them take it down because the image of the president was offensive to women, or something?

There are plenty of people that just don't make sense, and denying it isn't going to win anyone over to your side.

Define 'coddle', please.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Majority rule, apparently

Arch on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    shit, the day is over....

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

People who are dead now decided for us.

Well they are the great majority.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

THEY THINK ALL SEX IS RAPE THOSE CRAZY FEMINAZIS

Does tend to derail discussions of a more moderate and useful nature.

People in that thread have claimed that sex by default should be illegal. Then again its hard to take someone would a screenname like Fartacus seriously.
    Also I know you weren't saying this to me, but this being a public forum I choose to respond to you.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I actually ask my grandmother, if she frowns on it, then I expect you not to do it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    "Sure you can do what you want, and I encourage you to pursue what makes you happy. Doesn't mean I am not gonna judge you and think you have some sort of pathological disorder"

That

That isn't really tolerance Will.

And it is kind of offensive

but

it is tolerance

i am tolerating a behavior, regardless of what my personal opinion on it might be!

just as religious folks are required to toelrate the fact that i am unmarried and living with my girlfriend.

they don't have to like it. they don't have to regard it as morally equivalent to their cultural institution of marriage. they don't have to believe that i am not sinning.

but they have to tolerate it.

and bonus points to them if they're also courteous about it

(they generally are)

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    and now time for some Mad Men.

(also japan just nommed my arm. I think he's trying to tell me something. But we just had dinner.)

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sample "proper behaviour" every fifty years in our history and it's going to be different every time. Which one do you pick and why? Eventually what you consider "proper behaviour" will be considered obsolete. Maybe that's already happened.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Absynthe will really fuck you up though, I mean it's heavier than Bacardi 151.

I seriously, like "The hangover" style, lost the memory of an entire night of my life to that drink. I woke up across the county line... Worst, or possibly best, night of my life.

Absinthe is probably the least alchohol-y tasting liquor of that proof.

So yeah if you don't know how potent it is it's easy to drink too much.

'sup [chat]

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Just to be clear, I do dismiss the Republicans and the Democrats, in part because of that exact reason (political groups become echo chambers which results in extremism). I'm not trying to single out feminism here. I'm wary of all political organizations and movements and do not want to identify myself as a member of any of them.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, someone recommend me a good movie to watch or something :)

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Yes it is. It's like the definition of tolerance!

Tolerance isn't acceptance, people. What many of you want is acceptance, what Will is offering is tolerance. Those are different things.

If you don't think tolerance is good enough, that's on you.

When there's some dude at my workplace saying incredibly shit-headed things about disability support programs and people on welfare and I'm not getting on his nuts about it despite how wrong he is

I am tolerating him. I am allowing him to behave and think however he wants without true opposition or challenge for the sake of other social principles I believe in (like not getting into political arguments at work)

I am not accepting him, I am tolerating him.

Some of y'all need to work on your understandings of vocabulary.

Pony on
This discussion has been closed.