As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]auqua Lake!

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    LoL doesn't have an OS X client yet so fuck that.

I need a good game to play on my Mac that won't tax the lame video card.

Can't Macs run windows these days?

I don't want to buy another Windows license right now.

I'd rather just use my PC if I had to install Windows.

Sarksus on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Will, I went to this old-fashioned 1920's speakeasy the other day for happy hour. The drinks were delicious. I had a Tom Collins, a mojito, a Moscow Mule (which I loved) and a margarita. They were all fresh and used delicious light ingredients. Nothing syrupy to be found.

ugh this is why i can't order fancy drinks here in charleston

Yeah, you'd be shocked to find how much more refreshing a margarita is when it's not like 95% HFCS.

I can only imagine

Arch on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Yes, Pony, that is a problem. But I don't think that's most of most safespaces. Of course, that the only safe spaces I've visited tended to be pretty good is a possibility, but so far I haven't seen too many that had more of what you describe than what they were designed for.

In other words, I don't see a lot of people complaining about someone triggering them by saving them, but do see a lot of people being able to discuss assaults without being asked "Well, why'd you let him drive you home?"

And people really do need a space to talk without questions like that.

I don't think Pony was saying they shouldn't exist. I think he was trying to illustrate how they can be problematic and allow small vocal minorities of extremists to hold more sway in a movement than is healthy.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    ok thanks

do most places still use a sugar cube or is it mostly simple syrup now

Organichu on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will, I went to this old-fashioned 1920's speakeasy the other day for happy hour. The drinks were delicious. I had a Tom Collins, a mojito, a Moscow Mule (which I loved) and a margarita. They were all fresh and used delicious light ingredients. Nothing syrupy to be found.

ugh this is why i can't order fancy drinks here in charleston

Yeah, you'd be shocked to find how much more refreshing a margarita is when it's not like 95% HFCS.

I can only imagine

It's like drinking a Mexican angel.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Moscow Mule is my favorite drink there. They also have a "Gold Rush". Their drink menu is awesome.

http://www.copadoro.com/happy-hour-menu.php

This is it for happy hour. I've had most of the drinks and enjoyed them all (sans Pisco)

stevemarks44 on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes, Pony, that is a problem. But I don't think that's most of most safespaces. Of course, that the only safe spaces I've visited tended to be pretty good is a possibility, but so far I haven't seen too many that had more of what you describe than what they were designed for.

In other words, I don't see a lot of people complaining about someone triggering them by saving them, but do see a lot of people being able to discuss assaults without being asked "Well, why'd you let him drive you home?"

I've encountered very few feminist communities online (read: none) that are actually open discussion communities willing to engage outside opinions or address concerns raised.

"Safe space" gets used as the rebuke to push people away from doing so. You might not run into it, but I do.

Pony on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    I've personally encountered the difficulties faced with identifying behaviors as psychological pathologies

I was diagnosed with ASPD, which not only was a diagnosis of behavior but led to a classification of me as a person. It led to legal repercussions (I couldn't get a driver's license for years because of it) and it led to me allowing that diagnosis to define me as a person and I used it as a crutch to excuse some of my worst behaviors. It facilitated me burying emotional responses and reactions that would be contrary to the diagnosis and overlooking facts that would cause it to be questionable.

Years later it was identified as incorrect and overturned. Had a pretty profound impact on my life, that.

Currently I have a diagnosis of "Personality Disorder (Not Otherwise Specified)". This essentially says that my psychiatrist believes my personality is aberrant from the norm to the extent that he considers it a pathological disorder to be treated medically, but in a way that currently (as of the DSM IV) is not accurately classifiable in any one category.

Which is pretty shitty, really.

You're crazy.

"Why kind of crazy, doc?"

Crazy crazy.

Sheep on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

My favorite is the incredibly convoluted explanation of the conspiracy at the end.

Yep, including the old lady interrupting. "Uhh thanks lady."

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    These wiki etiquette articles are really interesting.

Japan:
    "It is a faux pas to accept a gift when it is first offered and the giver is expected to offer it multiple times (usually 3 times). Gifts are generally not opened in the giver's presence."

Alright Japan, you've got to be kidding me.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited September 2010
    The Moscow Mule is my favorite drink there. They also have a "Gold Rush". Their drink menu is awesome.

This is it for happy hour. I've had most of the drinks and enjoyed them all (sans Pisco)

oh man that looks nice

Arch on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have 100 Pigeons in GTA IV.

Are there any scavenge hunts in the episodes?

RMS Oceanic on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    It's like drinking a Mexican angel.

I, um...

...yeah.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010

At the end, I was feeling a little bold and ordered a Pisco Sour. My friends were grossed out by the egg white, but I figured why not. In the end I really didn't enjoy it. Did I drink a bad one out of all those good drinks, or is Pisco really kind of gross?

pisco is okay for what it is. it's basically unaged brandy and really similar to grappa or other eau de vies.

as such, it's a little harsh and takes some getting used to. mixing it right takes a deft hand, and i still have a hard time mixing eau de vie drinks that don't have a sharp edge.

also, egg white drinks are unusual to modern tastes. probably you should start with something a little easier to take, like a ramos gin fizz or something. they're going to be frothy and thick and this, coupled with the rawness of the pisco, might be offputting.

also, the pisco sour is kind of a one-note drink. there's no bitters, no secondary ingredient, not much getting in the way of neutral spirits, sugar and lemon to mix it up.

so basically, it's kind of a challenging drink i guess. i think they're good, but they're kind of an acquired taste in a lot of ways.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I've encountered very few feminist communities online (read: none) that are actually open discussion communities willing to engage outside opinions or address concerns raised.

"Safe space" gets used as the rebuke to push people away from doing so. You might not run into it, but I do.

Welcome to the internet?

I think if you encountered more feminists in the real world, you'd find them much nicer.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited September 2010

oh man that looks nice

Best part is during Happy Hour all those drinks are $5. In LA that's quite literally absurd. I've paid $12 for a Tanqueray and Soda on more than one occasion.

stevemarks44 on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    LoL is a fun way to fill bars. You fill bars during the game, which ultimately fills your over all bars.

So many bars!

807503965_rBNbP-L.jpg

Winky on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Preacher! I can't see that youtube cause I'm at work but

when I saw Daxon's post, I immediately thought "man I wish I could link him Black Dynomite." apparently we think alike.

and yes it's on netflix instant watch

Its a great movie that no one saw. Shit I throw that movie before I enter the room...

I saw it, it was great.

I still laugh about the fake ad the movie opens up with.

My favorite is the incredibly convoluted explanation of the conspiracy at the end.

The final villain was perfect.

Thomamelas on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    So, Archer is pretty much the greatest show to watch while you're wasted. I literally cried from laughing at it and I'm not entirely sure why.

Alternately: don't do a Ph D.

You probably won't get to nail the other hot Ph. D candidate in your group, because you're not nearly as awesome as I am and thus it will just be soul destroying and let's face it, the crazy chick is just crazy.

High five "sleeping with the hot girl in your group" buddy. I just wish the rest of the PhD was as successful.

Wait, really?

Up. Top. You and me are totally getting trashed together as soon as I con my supervisor into sending me to England because apparently international travel is something university's love.
    Yeah, it's how I met French Girl, she was working in my group.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ugh why are my contacts so blurry

what the hell contacts

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »

what the hell contacts

In backwards?

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Winky: It's so true! In a LoL game you gain levels, at at the end based on how you did you get EXP to increase your over all levels.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010
    The only downfall of the Black Dynamite drinking game is that I don't remember the last 1/3 of the movie. :(

stevemarks44 on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

what the hell contacts

Stop using Outlook.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited September 2010

oh man that looks nice

Best part is during Happy Hour all those drinks are $5. In LA that's quite literally absurd. I've paid $12 for a Tanqueray and Soda on more than one occasion.

Niceeee

Arch on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010

Well, I actually don't frequent feminist communities directly. Though the places I do frequent tend to have a very large majority of participants self-describe as feminist.

In other words, I get my feminism from hyper liberal areas, not feminist areas, if that makes sense. Which also leads to different types of safe spaces.

Shivahn on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The only downfall of the Black Dynamite drinking game is that I don't remember the last 1/3 of the movie. :(

What are the rules?

Daxon on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    What baby?

Sheep on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010

i guess it's easy to overtax the gfx cards by using windows?

LOTRO broke my mac. overheated it after like a minute, even though the graphics are shitty.

i guess the driver was bad maybe?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    Oh shit they just changed the free heroes that are available in LoL.

Oh shiiiit Blitz, Miss Fortune and Vlad?!

Inquisitor on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok vaguely middle eastern lady, don't call on the worst cell phone of all time with your broken english, or if you do be prepared for someone to keep asking the same question over and over.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    I've personally encountered the difficulties faced with identifying behaviors as psychological pathologies

I was diagnosed with ASPD, which not only was a diagnosis of behavior but led to a classification of me as a person. It led to legal repercussions (I couldn't get a driver's license for years because of it) and it led to me allowing that diagnosis to define me as a person and I used it as a crutch to excuse some of my worst behaviors. It facilitated me burying emotional responses and reactions that would be contrary to the diagnosis and overlooking facts that would cause it to be questionable.

Years later it was identified as incorrect and overturned. Had a pretty profound impact on my life, that.

Currently I have a diagnosis of "Personality Disorder (Not Otherwise Specified)". This essentially says that my psychiatrist believes my personality is aberrant from the norm to the extent that he considers it a pathological disorder to be treated medically, but in a way that currently (as of the DSM IV) is not accurately classifiable in any one category.

You're crazy.

Crazy crazy.

Basically.

His opinion is that the current DSM IV lacks "greytones" to describe pathologies that are not as severe as say, NPD or ASPD, but still severe enough that they cause people real problems that could be corrected with therapy and medication to an extent that allows the person to live and function normally.

He's like "You don't have NPD, and you don't have ASPD, because you're missing a lot of the diagnostic criteria for those conditions. However, you do have a lot of the diagnostic criteria for those disorders to the extent that it causes you significant difficulties in your life. There should be a diagnosis for that, but there isn't."

He compared it to as if physical medicine was unable to diagnose a simple flu as anything less than pneumonia.

Pony on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apple's drivers for Windows are lame. They aren't even supporting graphic switching yet.

Sarksus on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

You're crazy.

Crazy crazy.

Basically.

His opinion is that the current DSM IV lacks "greytones" to describe pathologies that are not as severe as say, NPD or ASPD, but still severe enough that they cause people real problems that could be corrected with therapy and medication to an extent that allows the person to live and function normally.

He's like "You don't have NPD, and you don't have ASPD, because you're missing a lot of the diagnostic criteria for those conditions. However, you do have a lot of the diagnostic criteria for those disorders to the extent that it causes you significant difficulties in your life. There should be a diagnosis for that, but there isn't."

He compared it to as if physical medicine was unable to diagnose a simple flu as anything less than pneumonia.

So you have Mental Flu?

RMS Oceanic on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

i guess it's easy to overtax the gfx cards by using windows?

LOTRO broke my mac. overheated it after like a minute, even though the graphics are shitty.

i guess the driver was bad maybe?

That's fucked up, Modern Warfare 2 killed my friend's mac as well. When my computer overheats it just shuts down, it doesn't go into "let's melt" mode..

Daxon on
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    ok thanks

do most places still use a sugar cube or is it mostly simple syrup now

mostly syrup

sugar cubes are kind of a pain to mess with. they take a while to dissolve and you end up with a super-sugarly last sip.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

what the hell contacts

In backwards?

ding ding ding

well, the contact was inside out. I must have accidentally flipped it when I was jabbing my eye.

These contacts are actually sort of therapeutic. I have to meditate before putting them on, otherwise my eyes wont work with me and let me get in there.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DK, I never ran into that once living in Japan. Now you don't open gifts as you receive them. You open them after the people leave. That way if you dislike it or are disappointed they don't see it. Everything comes in gift bags, so many gift bags. Now for drinks though, you need to offer at least twice because the first time a Japanese person will refuse even if they are thirsty out of politeness and never say otherwise. So always offer a second time.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited September 2010
    So, good to know that macs are still crap for gaming. Makes me sad though, I'd like to play LoL with you sarksus.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

What are the rules?

Umm there a few, just google them (I'm at work so I can't really). Every time someone says Cobra (or whatever the malt liquor brand is) is a drink, so in the first five minutes you're already pretty deep. Double drinks for high kicks, drink for punches. You get the idea, it'll get you drunk.

stevemarks44 on
This discussion has been closed.