As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Delisted XBLA Games?

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
Does anyone know if there is a way to purchase delisted live arcade games? I missed buying Ultimate MK3 and since all the MK discussions with the new game I've found myself craving some 2d Kombat action. Is there any workaround?

Lindsay Lohan on

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do you have a PS3? Mortal Kombat 2 is on the PSN.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nope - no PS3...yet. Sucks cause I'd prefer MK2 but I'm waiting to buy a PS3 until after I get a bigger TV.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does anyone know if there is a way to purchase delisted live arcade games? I missed buying Ultimate MK3 and since all the MK discussions with the new game I've found myself craving some 2d Kombat action. Is there any workaround?

According to the Wiki; As of February 2010, the game can not be downloaded as it was removed from XLA due to "publisher evolving rights and permissions".

I guess the licence changed hands or something? I would say your out of luck for now though :(

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In the past I've heard it's possible for someone who actually owns a delisted game to use some sort of "recommend" feature on XBLA, which lets someone on their friends list get access to the demo. Perhaps that could also be used to get access to a way to purchase it? On the other hand, I haven't heard that sort of thing mentioned in a long time; it might not be around anymore.

SteevL on
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I should have kept Double Dragon.

Midway went under, and these got taken off XBLA for good.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can redownload Double Dragon if you bought it before it was pulled.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Speaking of this, the music video DLC for Lumines Live were delisted from the DLC list, however, you can still download them via direct links on the XBox Live Marketplace website.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/0cc00005-0000-4000-8000-0000584107f8
    http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/0ccf0004-0000-4000-8000-0000584107f8

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Really? I can't find it in the list, or where to do that at all.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jamesways wrote: »

Really? I can't find it in the list, or where to do that at all.

Via PC:
    1. Go to xbox.com and login.
    2. Go to My Account and then click on Purchase History
    3. Select the items you want and add them to your download queue.

Via 360:
    Guide button -> settings -> account management -> download history.

The question is is there a difference between unlisted games for poor sales and unlisted games for rights reasons...

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wasn't Yaris removed?

And that garbage was free

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there a list out there with all of the games that were delisted off of XBLA?

If you can't get anything to work, do you have a PS2/Xbox/Gamecube? You can get Midway Arcade Treasures 2 which has Arcade ports of Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 for pretty cheap these days.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_Arcade_games

Go there, then in the column that says "Available?" click the arrow next to it, it will sort unavailable games first.

If you don't feel like clicking:

Battlestar Galactica
    Cyberball 2072
    Dash of Destruction
    Defender
    Double Dragon
    EA Sports Fantasy Football Live Draft Tracker
    EA Sports Fantasy Football Live Score Tracker
    Gauntlet
    Hexic HD (this one perplexes me)
    Joust
    Lost Cities
    Paperboy
    Robotron 2084
    Root Beer Tapper
    Smash TV
    Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
    TotemBall
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    Yaris

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there a list out there with all of the games that were delisted off of XBLA?

If you can't get anything to work, do you have a PS2/Xbox/Gamecube? You can get Midway Arcade Treasures 2 which has Arcade ports of Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 for pretty cheap these days.

You can sort this list by the "available" column to see all the delisted games. I see that Dash of Destruction is on there too.

edit: beat'd

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Meh, that's no big loss. I have most of the games on the list.

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had heard that MS' strategy was to prune the crappy games from the list so Live wouldn't be so baffling to browse.

Looks like they haven't pulled the trigger that often. And yeah, Hexic's an odd choice considering the demo was pre-loaded onto 360 drives for a looooong time.

Looks like a bunch of Atari stuff got pulled too. Wonder if that's related to the company's recent floundering.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Not even the demo

The full game of Hexic HD was on hard drives, and still might be?

My 360 with a 60 gig drive I got a year back had it on there

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    For as big of a deal as was made out if it when they announced it, they really haven't delisted that many games, especially if all those midway ones were due to the rights issues rather than sales. If anyone is interested in trying to purchase some of these, I have the ones below that I can try the friend recommendation thing on but you'll have to tell me how to do it. I tried it once in the past but couldn't figure it what to do and couldn't find instructions online..

Defender
    Double Dragon
    Gauntlet
    Hexic HD (this one perplexes me)
    Joust
    Lost Cities
    Paperboy
    Robotron 2084
    Root Beer Tapper
    Smash TV
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    Yaris

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    In the past I've heard it's possible for someone who actually owns a delisted game to use some sort of "recommend" feature on XBLA, which lets someone on their friends list get access to the demo. Perhaps that could also be used to get access to a way to purchase it? On the other hand, I haven't heard that sort of thing mentioned in a long time; it might not be around anymore.

I think that's what I had heard of - that there was a way to recommend a delisted game to another user. I'm thinking that must no longer be the case...unless someone knows otherwise.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think part of the reason for pulling the Atari games is so they can sell them in their Arcade Room format, or whatever it's called.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Root Beer Tapper nooooooo

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    I think part of the reason for pulling the Atari games is so they can sell them in their Arcade Room format, or whatever it's called.

That makes sense.

Er, does the arcade room still exist? Is it being updated at all?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Good thing I got Tapper before it was delisted.

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That list is missing the two Contras, unless they are somehow available again?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

That makes sense.

Barely

And whenever the fuck they feel like it

They really dropped the ball with their promises on that one, but most people didn't care anyways so no one really noticed

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

That and they were somewhat owned by Midway

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

That makes sense.

It's on life support.

The problem is, they have released very few 'arcade' games, and a lot more mediocre to terribad games from early 80s home computers. At prices higher than the brand new gems found on XBLIG (<3). Even as expensive as some (actually good) XBLA games.

There was a decent update a while back for live leaderboards which is pretty cool, but the lack of good arcade games, no ability to walk your Avatar around, and the incredibly slow (and expensive) rate with which you can get upgrades for your arcade are all seriously damaging to the experience (for me). Also some games are borderline unplayable given how badly the controls have been implemented.

There have been one or two decent / fun surprises, but honestly Microsoft Game Room has been my biggest disappointment on the 360 this generation; I originally had some pretty high hopes. It could still be salvaged, but at this point, that is looking rather unlikely.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a lot of fond memories from my arcade days, but a lot of the games I want to play, I don't know if they can be recreated. Mainly because they used that funky 8-way joystick that also rotated so you could move and aim in 8 different directions (you still had a shoot and bomb/grenade and sometimes jump button as well).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I've said it before, but it's a travesty that Atari 2600 games cost more than a buck, as old as they are. At that price I'd probably pick up a dozen of them, but at the price they're asking now (what, $3, I think?) I'd only get one or two, if that.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've said it before, but it's a travesty that Atari 2600 games cost more than a buck, as old as they are. At that price I'd probably pick up a dozen of them, but at the price they're asking now (what, $3, I think?) I'd only get one or two, if that.

$3 a game? I could buy a 2600 + controllers + 20 games for that!

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Not only that but every one of their 2600 games can probably be found on the Atari Anthology released on the Xbox, plus a whole lotta other games. It's backwards compatible and can be had for around $10-$12. It may be missing the online stuff but I think I'd rather have more games than more features for something like that. Crummy 2600 versions of games is not as bad when I can get 70 of them for the price they want for 4 or 5..

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yup the pricing is just redonkulous.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They should price them the same as cheaper indie games. They are about the same quality.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was under the impression Hexic HD was never available for download and you just got it pre-installed on your harddrive instead. Supposedly you could call Microsoft and get a code to re-download it if you somehow lost or deleted it.

Lars on