• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I got invited in the beta as well now, 99.5% to go~ D:

Aldo on
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is this another game my computer can't run?

Strato on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Strato wrote: »
    Is this another game my computer can't run?
    Apparently, it runs quite smooth on sub-par computers, someone on their betaforums said it runned quite decent on his laptop, even.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MephianseMephianse Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Stress test is this weekend, you can sign up at Gamespot.com

Thank you for your interest in the The Lord of the Rings Online(tm): Shadows of Angmar(tm) Stress Test Event! If you haven’t already, make sure to register your Stress Test Event key at https://myaccount.turbine.com
    Don’t have a Stress Test key yet? Visit http://www.gamespot.com/betas/lord_of_the_rings_online/index.php
    to get yours now. For more information about the Stress Test Event,
    including instructions for downloading the game client, please visit http://www.lotro.com/stresstest Once you’ve registered,
    log in and play as much as you like any time between 12:00PM EST on Friday, February 23rd and 9:00AM on Monday, February 26th!

my name will mostly be Mephianse let me know which server you guys are gonna be on

Mephianse on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just got a beta invite yesterday. I've been signed up on the beta queue for like a year. :-P

Sadly, we've got a bandwith limit of 3gigs/month here at the university. Go over that, and they shift you to "Dungeon," a shared dial-up line. Fortunately, the downloader seems to be grabbing CD-sized .bin files, and there are at least four other guys in the beta in the dorm. I've got five CDs worth of "LOTR online" sitting on my desk that a guy upstairs somehow managed to grab before getting sent to dungeon. If all goes well, I'll only have to grab about 500mb.

Oh, well. This looks like a pretty generic (yet fun) type of thing. Should be pretty sweet with a group of dormmates.

Frem on
  • Options
    OglethorpeOglethorpe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's only generic if you don't like LOTR.

Things like elves, men, dwarves, orcs, goblins, are all very plain outside of the Tolkien universe. That's what happens when you rip off great works, the diluted results turn potential fans into immediate Philistines.

Oglethorpe on
    The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who have not got it.
    -George Bernard Shaw
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    just answer me this.

is it more AC or AC2?

because one was great, the other not so much.

Angry on
  • Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Invisible wrote: »
    The NDA is still in effect, right?

They lifted the NDA a few weeks ago.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Aww. Even at low detail, I don't have enough RAM to actually play. Apparently, when they say "512mb RAM," they don't mean "512mb RAM with the integrated laptop video card eating 64mb of it." Works great (though looks like runescape) in the intro story area, but as soon as I get out into the real world, my frame rate drops like a brick. :-P

Frem on
  • Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Frem wrote: »
    Aww. Even at low detail, I don't have enough RAM to actually play. Apparently, when they say "512mb RAM," they don't mean "512mb RAM with the integrated laptop video card eating 64mb of it." Works great (though looks like runescape) in the intro story area, but as soon as I get out into the real world, my frame rate drops like a brick. :-P

What are your system specs?

I got a beta key yesterday and I fear the same might happen to me...

Librarian on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So far I'm pretty bored. I don't want to kill boars or collect berries, I want to kill some fucking orcs or something. :x

tofu on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Oglethorpe wrote: »
    It's only generic if you don't like LOTR.

Things like elves, men, dwarves, orcs, goblins, are all very plain outside of the Tolkien universe. That's what happens when you rip off great works, the diluted results turn potential fans into immediate Philistines.

It's generic gameplay, I am actually surprised by how good the environment and characters look, they really have their own style.
    chrpnk wrote: »
    Invisible wrote: »
    The NDA is still in effect, right?

They lifted the NDA a few weeks ago.
    I had to sign a NDA for beta, IIRC :?

Aldo on
  • Options
    foonfoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    NDA is off officially. Ive been in for a couple rounds now (running on a laptop), and I like it alot. Built in voicechat is nice, and just the interaction with the major characters is alot of fun. Unfortunatley all the npc voices sound like they are from rural england.

foon on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    oh, alrighty then. :)

I ran into a guy from Obsidian something on Brandywine, they were loosely aligned to PA by an old DAoC guild or something.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Librarian wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »

What are your system specs?

I got a beta key yesterday and I fear the same might happen to me...

I have a Toshiba Satellite M55-S139. Full specs here.

Frem on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just did the "Founders Pre-Order" or what not through EBGames. Does this mean that when the open Beta begins I'll get a code sent to download the client and then when the actual release comes around, EB will mail me the physical game?

Esh on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If it was a full price order through the website, maybe. If it was through a store or it was a less than full price preorder, then no.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    If it was a full price order through the website, maybe. If it was through a store or it was a less than full price preorder, then no.

$49.99 and I paid for shipping. I'm just wondering how the whole code/open beta thing is gonna work. Details are sketchy.

Esh on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So I got accepted into the closed beta, not just the stress test, and this game is beautiful on my machine. according to fraps, with the settings turned to very low but then increasing model detail to very high and object and background distance to max I can run at about 35 fps. If I set everything to their highest I run at about 10 fps.

This is on a AMD 2500+ Barton with a Radeon 9600PRO and 1.5 gigs of RAM.

And in my opinion, this game looks so much better than WoW.

Veevee on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm really enjoying this so far. It's beautiful as all hell, but not in an incredibly machine-taxing sort of way. The trick with the watercolor-ish backgrounds blending into rendered objects is really cool, and looks quite nice.

Gameplay is pretty generic, but involved enough to be a satisfying classic RPG experience. The fairly smooth integration of story-based instances, quests, and MMO components is a nice change too. Overall, I could see playing this for a bit, at least until something with actual PvP comes out (read: Age of Conan, then Warhammer).

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have another closed beta key if anyone wants it.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    For comparisons sake, I'm posting 4 screenshots, the first two are with the graphical settings down to very low and the second 2 are with the graphics turned up to max.

Remember, this is on a 4 year old computer.

ScreenShot00007.jpg
    ScreenShot00006.jpg

ScreenShot00008.jpg
    ScreenShot00009.jpg

Veevee on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Of course a four year old PC can make the game look great. But just like your FRAPS FPS counter shows, it's unplayable like that.

I'd be interested in playing this, but my PC is just too old to pull it off right.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    korodullin wrote: »
    Of course a four year old PC can make the game look great. But just like your FRAPS FPS counter shows, it's unplayable like that.

I'd be interested in playing this, but my PC is just too old to pull it off right.

Actually, I tried playing at the highest setting, and it wasn't all that bad. I just had to anticipate, and never be attacked by more than one monster, which is easy to do at the moment. The game was still very responsive to my commands, and since there isn't much reaction needed if your playing smart, I'd say its playable.

I sometimes pop on the highest graphical settings and travel around the shire. The game is very very pretty. Even at the lowest settings, I still think its one hell of a pretty game.

Veevee on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Actually, I tried playing at the highest setting, and it wasn't all that bad. I just had to anticipate, and never be attacked by more than one monster, which is easy to do at the moment. The game was still very responsive to my commands, and since there isn't much reaction needed if your playing smart, I'd say its playable.

I sometimes pop on the highest graphical settings and travel around the shire. The game is very very pretty. Even at the lowest settings, I still think its one hell of a pretty game.
    Apparently you and I are seeing different things. That low graphics setting looks awful. The design and placement of world objects only seems to make sense in the high-res versions.

The low-res stuff looks like some godawful Second Life zone.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My first impressions of the game are pretty positive. It looks absolutely beautiful maxed out, which I'm amazed my upgraded 4 year old machine (P4 2.4, 1.25 gig, 6800 GS (512)) can handle. Combat is an acquired taste coming from the speed and visceral sound of WoW, but several hours in I like the slightly more tactical feel enforced by cooldowns. It's nice to have a game which is accessible to the casual player, in fact is probably more casual than even WoW, yet is quite realistic-looking. As an added plus, it should avoid the horrible balancing headaches of PVP vs. PVE.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm still not sure if I'd buy it, but I'm a bit sad to see the stress test go. I had fun with the game.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I'm still not sure if I'd buy it, but I'm a bit sad to see the stress test go. I had fun with the game.

Agreed. I’m just shocked that it could downscale to work with a geforce2. If anything it felt like a more ‘fluid’ version of EQ1 as far as the game play goes. I didn’t really get into the fellowship combo bonus attack things, but that seemed like an interesting system.

The game mechanics feel solid and character progression felt pretty quick. Though I only got two character to 10 and 13, I did so in a relaxed pace. The quests could use more variation and some areas could use more instancing but overall I enjoyed my time in Middle Earth.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I finished up the "to avert a war" questline a few minutes ago, it was amusing, but I didn't have the time to pay attention to what exactly was going on, I was just pressing [tab] and unloading my debuffs and nukes.

I'm now an official Enemy of Orcs or somesuch, so that means I get an option to stealth, I believe. Time to find a bard~

Aldo on
  • Options
    NswyersNswyers Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I loved the stress test and found it a welcome change from WoW. I loved WoW, but got pretty bored of it over the years, and for some reason LOTRO had just the right elements to keep me entertained.

If anyone had an extra closed beta key kicking around they would like to throw my way, I'd be so very much thankful.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That was pretty fun. The achievments system was pretty sweet, kind of like the "Legend" in NexusTK + Badges in CoH but with actual, tangible benefits.

I'd also love a closed beta key if anyone had a spare one floating around.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Has anyone read if there are gonna be different server types? Apparently on all servers though, there is going to be the fact that your name has to fit into a Tolkien universe. No 133t or retarded names.

Anyone also Founder's pre-ordered?

Esh on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I've pre-ordered. I'm now itching to get my hands on it again.. but the open beta for us doesn't start till March 30th. I pre-orderd mostly for the lifetime membership option and open-beta carry-over. In-game items are always fairly useless once you get anywhere in the game.

Once again, I'd love a closed beta key if anyone isn't using theirs ;)

Nswyers on
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Esh wrote: »
    Has anyone read if there are gonna be different server types?

Unknown, but i'd imagine they will have some sort of RP servers. Which are really never any better than normal servers when it comes to the player base.

I feel so damn weak, I can't believe i pre-ordered this game.

I need Warhammer to come out soon.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Unknown, but i'd imagine they will have some sort of RP servers. Which are really never any better than normal servers when it comes to the player base.

I disagree. RP servers are 1.1 times more RP than regular servers :P

I don't think there will ever be PVP servers. That being said, Turbine made PVP in DDO after saying they never would, so who knows?

Nswyers on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Nswyers wrote: »
    I disagree. RP servers are 1.1 times more RP than regular servers :P

I don't think there will ever be PVP servers. That being said, Turbine made PVP in DDO after saying they never would, so who knows?
    A whole server based on monsterplay? :?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

I always found the WoW RP servers to be much for tolerable then the RP servers. At least at the upper levels. I'm not into RPing, but you generally get a much more mature level of player.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Apparently Computer Games magazine's latest issue (April?) contains a beta key to LOTRO. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a place that carries the mag in my area.

Hmm, if anyone would be so kind as to grab a copy and send me the key, I could paypal the price of the mag... tall order to be sure :(

Nswyers on
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Nswyers wrote: »
    Apparently Computer Games magazine's latest issue (April?) contains a beta key to LOTRO. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a place that carries the mag in my area.

Hmm, if anyone would be so kind as to grab a copy and send me the key, I could paypal the price of the mag... tall order to be sure :(

Is this on newsstands now? Is this a US magazine?

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Its US I'm pretty sure, but available in Canada. My local Chapters (Borders, same thing) say they carry it but have none in. I went ahead and ordered the digital subscription for $17 because it seems like a decent magazine.. and my current catalog includes nothing but Nintendo Power... it will be nice to have something else to read as well. It's taking its sweet time through the internet tubes to my email, though.

Oh yeah, and I'm a weak, weak, weak, man.
    ever so weak

Nswyers on