Options

LOTRO Beta: Stress test this weekend!

• Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, I preordered yesterday, installed the beta, patched and start playing in the late evening.

I thought it wasn't going to run well or look nice, and I thought i would get bored quick.

I was wrong, I ended staying up until 2am questing. I haven't lost track of time like that in a game in awhile. The quest writing is done well, If you actually read it, the story seems to draw your character in more than I am used to.

I like how intuitive the interface is, I like how the tooltips for abilities are clear. I liked that when I was given a collection quest, That every boar i killed dropped his boar meat. So I only had to kill 6 boars, not 36. I like that more exp is generated from quests than grinding. And I really liked how clear directions and places were without it seeming like a fisher price MMO.

I really only preordered because I am compulsive and impatient and didn't want to wait 2 days to beta (stupid I know). But now I am actually really glad I did, I am really enjoying the Captain class so far, and plan to check out as many other classes as I can before release.

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    17 hours... I don't know if I can wait. Looks so awesome.

GroovyMr1337 on
  • Options
    orpheusorpheus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The world tour servers are up. I just got to look at character creation for 5 minutes and now I have to go to work. :(

Urge to call in sick...rising...

orpheus on
    But, if you are after mere parlor tricks, you will be sorely disappointed. For if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, but your very soul!
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    orpheus wrote: »
    The world tour servers are up. I just got to look at character creation for 5 minutes and now I have to go to work. :(

Urge to call in sick...rising...
    h5

I'm at work right now. I'm going to head home around noon, I think.

naporeon on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm installing the beta now. Looks kind of interesting. I just wish I'd had the foresight to do this earlier in the week, when I wasn't jonesing to get started.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    This is such a great plan. I mean, allowing people to retain stress-test/"open beta" characters, if they opt to purchase the game. Also, letting people test drive the game is a pleasant "bonus" as well. I probably wouldn't have bought it, sight-unseen.

naporeon on
  • Options
    Krieger Von VergultungKrieger Von Vergultung __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Fucking awesome.

The World Tour is open now.

And my computer can run the fucking game. Yes!!

I have a 3 year old laptop, with a 1.6ghz processor and 512 Mb of RAM. I have an AMD Anthlon 64.

Anyway, the game runs perfect on this computer.
    It's awesome.

Krieger Von Vergultung on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey, I just got this, Character name is Donavin if I could get an invite into the 'guild'

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh my god why is this game's graphics so bland and hideous.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    cause you have the settings down low? lol

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have most if not all of the settings on High. The game's art direction just sucks a nut.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's Tolkien. His descriptions were pretty classically medieval with a strong 20th century British influence... they've interpreted it in just about the only ways possible.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    AcidCatAcidCat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Eh, some of you folks here and on various other forums had given me some hope for this game, but it really is just a weak WoW clone with a LOTR theme and a fraction of the content, polish, and fun. If this is the future of MMORPGs, then forget it.

I'll keep up hope that Conan or Warhammer can offer up something at least a little different.

AcidCat on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't think it's a WoW clone specifically, but yes, the only unique things about the game seems to be the setting and the monster play (which may not even be that unique).

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    True or not, I think using the term "WoW clone" automatically invalidates the argument. Why fall back on some pre-packaged forum troll-speak when there may be valid points?

So, AcidCat, care to try that again with your own opinions?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Has anyone run into sign-up problems? I can't for the life of me get the turbine website to accept my generated activation key.

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Doing the PCGamer trial right now... this game vaguely looks a lot like Guild Wars.

I like the character models, that's it so far.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Morskittar wrote: »

I know it's such a cliche, but in this case it's true. The basic mechanics of how you play are practically identical. This could be a good or bad thing depending on your personal opinion, but for me it's just more of the same - I didn't quit WoW after 2+ years to play the same thing in a different setting.

If you didn't get into WoW, or are hungry for a real similar game experience, or just love LOTR to death, I could see a person liking the game. Just not me.

AcidCat on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    AcidCat wrote: »

I know it's such a cliche, but in this case it's true. The basic mechanics of how you play are practically identical. This could be a good or bad thing depending on your personal opinion, but for me it's just more of the same - I didn't quit WoW after 2+ years to play the same thing in a different setting.

If you didn't get into WoW, or are hungry for a real similar game experience, or just love LOTR to death, I could see a person liking the game. Just not me.

Fair enough, but I've found the combat mechanics to be quite a bit different. At level 11, I have a Minstrel who chains buffs and attacks together, unlike anything I did in WoW.

Now, if it's the overall mechanics, I could see where you're coming from (with a caveat). Auto-attack + abilities + cooldowns is the name of the game. This is where I get so pissed about the "WoW clone" cliche, though, because that's an overall MMORGP trope, not a WoW one. Personally, it's not one I'm tired of either. I like RPG-style gameplay, I didn't raid in WoW (or play EQ or any classic grindy games). The only things I grew tired of in WoW were the setting, the community, and mostly the "holy trinity" of tank/dps/heal. That's one of the primary differences I've found in LotR:O; most of the "traditional" classes end up being more of hybrids. Like the Minstrel, who heals and buffs, but does so by doing series of combo attacks. I've been playing with the same four or five main abilities for levels now, but I'm still finding new ways to tweak and optimize the attack order. Thus my umbrage at your original remark... "WoW clone" doesn't sum up any similarities, and just grinds down any actual discussion.

So, if you're truly just burnt out on western-style RPG gameplay, you should probably look elsewhere. AoC and Warhammer probably won't be siginificantly different, just have different goals and ways of applying the usual methods. With a bit more twitch to AoC, and even more detailed and "fiddly" abilities to Warhammer (which, from my short Alpha time, seemed to take a lot of the usual MMORPG mechanics and make them gameplay/timing things).

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Now, if it's the overall mechanics, I could see where you're coming from (with a caveat). Auto-attack + abilities + cooldowns is the name of the game. This is where I get so pissed about the "WoW clone" cliche, though, because that's an overall MMORGP trope, not a WoW one.

Yes, of course anything that is a "clone" of WoW is a clone of the games that came before since WoW borrows so heavily from the basic gameplay foundations of games past. But WoW did streamline and polish a lot, so games will naturally build upon this foundation if they are looking at the same market. WoW is the new baseline to judge these games against, for better or worse.

One thing I've tired of is the quest-based gameplay mechanic, which LOTR takes even further than WoW. It's like you log in and start the game and see a literal list of tasks you need to accomplish - for me it's like logging into a job where the game tells me what to do. It limits gameplay possibilities and I'd like to see something with a bit more freedom to the gameplay.

From what I understand, Conan takes the combat in a different direction with a more action oriented approach - you swing your sword and any enemies in that arc are hit. It doesn't take too much to tweak combat so that it at least feels different - LOTR didn't do this for me at all. I'm also looking forward to Warhammer to the more PvP-focused game design, even though the combat itself does seem fairly standard.

Since MMORPGs do share many basics in common, it often comes down to the small details and intangibles. With combat and quest-style gameplay so similar, LOTR needed to grab me with those small things and it just didn't. I also admit I'm just burnt out LOTR in general, so the theme, gameworld, and lore just didn't offer me something fresh. The aesthetic of the gameworld means a lot to me - I played FFXI for months even though I hated the grind and forced grouping just because the art design and gameworld were so well realized - it was a space I wanted to spend time in and explore. LOTR isn't for me.

I probably had higher expectations for LOTR than I should have since I am seeking a game to replace my WoW fix. But I guess I need something that is different enough in gameplay *or* gameworld/aesthetics to keep my interest.

AcidCat on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    AcidCat wrote:
    One thing I've tired of is the quest-based gameplay mechanic... I also admit I'm just burnt out LOTR in general, so the theme, gameworld, and lore just didn't offer me something fresh.

I'm really enjoying the game, but I definitely understand where you're coming from. Anyone burned out on the whole casual PVE questing thing probably isn't going to enjoy this game. This game is aimed squarely at people who still like those mechanics, but want a more immersive storyline, less of a gear grind/xp grind atmosphere, and a bit more realism. As for the theme, personally I've never been a huge LOTR fan, but it provides specifics that make the world feel a lot more engaging and less cookie-cutter than generic worlds like vanguard/eq2.

Well, see you in AoC in October! Looking forward to seeing how the whole PC/NPC city-building thing works. You might also check out Pirates of the Burning Sea - a different theme and a world PVP focus like WAR.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well said, AcidCat. I gotcha.

Your description actually helps me understand why I'm enjoying the game so much; I haven't been able to get into any single-player RPGs for some time, and this feels like a solidly constructed one that happens to share a space with a number of other players. I never got into PvE on WoW, either, so it's still relatively fresh for me. And it's Tolkien.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, I've been playing in the open beta, and the game seems fun enough. I am mainly playing on Nimrodel, as a Guardian named Iorek.

naporeon on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I upload a few screenshots of the game: http://mrflippy.net/images/screenshots/lotro/

They are at 1920x1200 resolution, but I don't remember the graphics settings at the moment.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    krawnightkrawnight Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Long time lurker, but I just wanted to comment on what AcidCat was saying. Yes, you can argue any MMORPG is a 'WoW-clone' but then you could argue that WoW is an EQ-clone is a UO-clone, etc, etc.

But I think the similarities go well beyond on that.

If immitation if the sincerest form of flattery...

Just some of the things I have noticed. There is rest exp. The NPCs have rings (instead of !) over their heads when they have a quest for you (and I also hate that they all show up on your minimap. It really DOES feel like signing on and just being given a list of tasks). Combat is still pretty much the exact same format, just different mobs/abilities. The UI looks very much like the WoW interface. Gathering items show up on the minimap. I could go on...

It did some things better than WoW, no doubt. I love the Deed system. I think that has a lot of potential. I think most of the quests are really well written and better than 'go kill 10 wolves because they are dangerous'.

It does some things much worse. Getting a trade-skill package (which is annoying enough since I can't choose what I want) is a pain when you get two gathering skills and can only track one resource at a time. Then, on top of that, you actually have to switch between your mining pick and lumber axe for example when you want to grab a specific resource. That some of the quests are poorly written. I did one where it told me to kill these mobs to the 'east'. But it gave me no specific location and the area I was in only had a zoomed out portion of the map. I also really dislike the buff/debuff display system. Tiny little icons right next to each other with no clear indication of what is good and what is bad or how long they will last unless I move my mouse over the tiny icon.

I gave the game an honest chance, leveled my minstrel to 15, and while I liked the class (I played a bard in EQ so I was originally excited) the game really just felt like a rougher version of WoW in a different setting.

krawnight on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I upload a few screenshots of the game: http://mrflippy.net/images/screenshots/lotro/

They are at 1920x1200 resolution, but I don't remember the graphics settings at the moment.
    I played the beta for a while and even though it was hard to tell since I had to turn the graphics down to even run the game..

The world design feels lacking. The trees are green, the roads are brown, the lakes are blue. It's really hard to describe but does it not seem to anyone else that the entire world there is just.. boring? Maybe it's just a personal preference, but it felt like I was traveling back in time to EQ world design.

JAEF on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    JAEF wrote: »

I played the beta for a while and even though it was hard to tell since I had to turn the graphics down to even run the game..

The world design feels lacking. The trees are green, the roads are brown, the lakes are blue. It's really hard to describe but does it not seem to anyone else that the entire world there is just.. boring? Maybe it's just a personal preference, but it felt like I was traveling back in time to EQ world design.

Next you will be claiming that Warhammer is ripping off WoW. Then someone will post the relevent comic.

I have forseen it.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    Well, I've been playing in the open beta, and the game seems fun enough. I am mainly playing on Nimrodel, as a Guardian named Iorek.

You should come join us on Landroval.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Next you will be claiming that Warhammer is ripping off WoW. Then someone will post the relevent comic.

I have forseen it.

I think the whole internets has been through that scenario. Twice. Already. Everyone. Even non-gamers.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    NswyersNswyers Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

If you're comparing it to a world designed, say by Blizzard, the LOTRO world design seems a bit drab. Then again, Blizzard has no qualms about using purple trees, orange water, blue grass..etc.

I enjoy the fact that LOTRO maintains a very realistic atmosphere while still sticking very strongly to the descriptions of places/things in Tolkien's work (or what they have rights to, anyway).

This is, in my opinion, the most beautiful game available right now. If you have the beefy PC muscle to crank up the settings, you'll see what I mean. If you have to turn things down any lower than "High" you are going to suffer quite a bit.

Still, I commend Turbine for giving players the option of making the game look like complete garbage if that is what it takes to make their 6 year old PC play it.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2007
    Turbine has always been cool like that. All of their engines support huge downgrades in performance to support as many platform levels as possible.

Are they going to be doing monthly/regular patches like they did with AC1 and 2?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Are they going to be doing monthly/regular patches like they did with AC1 and 2?

They won't give any timeframe, but that's the plan. The first patch is supposed to include "loremaster goodies" as well as the first raid and a ton of crafting updates.

Edit: The next patch will also contain a big expansion of the music system and another huge 27+ zone north of the shire.

They've strongly hinted that they'll do one major expansion a year: rohan, gondor, etc., and fill in a small zone or two during the year. Definitely some more PVP battlegrounds to add to the Ettenmoors in the works, as well as a zone building off the misty mountains.

Hope no one minds the repetition, but in case anyone isn't reading upthread, there's a PA guild, The Barrovian Society, on Landroval. Main thread is in G&T.

Nissl on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nswyers wrote: »

If you're comparing it to a world designed, say by Blizzard, the LOTRO world design seems a bit drab. Then again, Blizzard has no qualms about using purple trees, orange water, blue grass..etc.

I enjoy the fact that LOTRO maintains a very realistic atmosphere while still sticking very strongly to the descriptions of places/things in Tolkien's work (or what they have rights to, anyway).

This is, in my opinion, the most beautiful game available right now. If you have the beefy PC muscle to crank up the settings, you'll see what I mean. If you have to turn things down any lower than "High" you are going to suffer quite a bit.

Still, I commend Turbine for giving players the option of making the game look like complete garbage if that is what it takes to make their 6 year old PC play it.

I took some more pictures, this time of some of the Elven areas: http://mrflippy.net/images/screenshots/lotro/20070420/

The elven areas seem to have some more pleasing architecture and colorful trees, if the human areas weren't to your liking.

I also cranked up the graphics settings and turned up the water reflections for a few shots. I think it looks really nice:
    http://mrflippy.net/images/screenshots/lotro/high_quality/

th_ScreenShot00083.jpg
    Oh man, there are some graphics artifacts on the hills on the left side of that image that I totally missed. I have since figured out how to get rid of those.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This game simply looks fantastic, and I am tempted to get into this beta even though I know my machine can't handle it.

Sure, you can say it all looks a bit drab, or that it "feels too much like WoW" but if they manage to get in monthly patches and storyline updates I can pretty much guarantee I'll be hooked.

I used to play a game called Earth & Beyond and they had monthly storyline updates, and I remember actually being excited each patch day just to get out there and do the latest faction missions for my favorite NPCs, to feel like I had a part to play as the game-world and storyline unfolded itself, petal at a time, like some kind of orchid. It really helped immersion, and gave players a sense of "self" in a game genre that tends to make everyone feel like a nobody. WoW is a pretty static world. Westfall will always be Westfall. Now imagine if suddenly Westfall were overrun by zombies, and suddenly it was a true and proper invasion with brand new quests and a dynamic world, not just some floating necropolis bullshit.

And if they should have mounted combat. Oh boy, watch out. I'll be fucking hooked.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As someone who played a teeny bit in the alpha with high settings (and also dismissing the game very fast), I'd have to say those screenshots of the world actually look really very nice. Maybe I've been too long in the oversaturated world of warcraft. The thing that particuraly stands out to me is the skies, they look beautiful.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The thing that particuraly stands out to me is the skies, they look beautiful.

There's also a big step up from what you saw in alpha using the high res client that comes with the retail version of the game.
    And if they should have mounted combat. Oh boy, watch out. I'll be fucking hooked.

They're thinking about it, maybe for one of the paid expansions. Though it could also go the way of hero classes in WoW.

Nissl on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Are you saying that the game looks bad?

If so, then you you have a COMPELTELY invalid premise. You need the tools to view the game properly, provided that said tools are not TOO expensive and tough to acquire. This game runs on my computer which is almost 2 years old with absolutely no trouble and max settings. Older computers also have little trouble. It is not unreasonable to expect a player to have a gig of RAM and a graphics card from the last three+ years.

The game looks amazing. Upgrade your computer. It is years beyond Wow in graphics and land design.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I dug the game I just dont have the pc to run it. I barely run wow.

Grath on
  • Options
    LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The beta had terrible performance on my PC whereas WoW had top notch performance.

It has terrible load times. Any time I would enter a new place, the game would stutter at around 1fps for a few seconds.

I'm guessing it's because I have 512mb of ram.

However, once the loading ended, it looked fine and the framerate was good.

By the way, setting everything to the lowest possible detail didn't help. The load times still sucked and I never had a bad framerate to begin with. As a side effect, it made everything look like crap.

Especially the animations. They look very bad when they are set to low. And by bad I mean animations weren't smooth anymore. They were at, like, 15fps. With the rest of the game itself running at 60+.

Pro tip: Get 1gb for this game. Load times for me were unbearable.

Additional pro tip: The game isn't really good. Don't get it. Maybe the endgame rocks, but the first ten or so levels were horribly generic, filled with pointless quests such as "go kill 10 wolves" or "collect those things" or even "go talk to this guy".

Logicow on
  • Options
    HiravaxisHiravaxis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Roll a hobbit.. then you'll know pain.

The pain of a spoiled pie or an unsent letter.

Hiravaxis on