As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BigMan-ification

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There is little I remember about my college gym that was favorable to weightlifters, aside from the bevy of absolutely gorgeous and scantily clad girls on ellipticals.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Funky schedule this week; holidays on Monday and Thrusday so my gym's closed on my usual workout days. Today I'm working late to help a student with a speech, and then I teach a conversation class tonight.

Hopefully Wednesday I can get in the gym, and hopefully get my second day in on Friday or Saturday. I hate missing a lot of workouts :(

tehmarken on
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Again with the downside of becoming a Bigman:

I've gone through three pairs of pants in the last two weeks. A pair of slacks, one of the pairs pants from the two-trouser suit I got in January last year, and a pair of track pants.

Luckily none of these were obvious or in public. The suit pants are opening up on the inside of the thigh, just on the rear side of the inner seam. Bad news.

I hate having to shop for work clothes... So many other things I'd rather spend money on. Fun things.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Solvent wrote: »

I've gone through three pairs of pants in the last two weeks. A pair of slacks, one of the pairs pants from the two-trouser suit I got in January last year, and a pair of track pants.

Luckily none of these were obvious or in public. The suit pants are opening up on the inside of the thigh, just on the rear side of the inner seam. Bad news.

I hate having to shop for work clothes... So many other things I'd rather spend money on. Fun things.

I can't wait until wintertime. I can wear sweatpants everyday.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Solvent wrote: »

I can't wait until wintertime. I can wear sweatpants everyday.

Just don't go to the Aphostile's gym and you'll be fine!

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gotta say ladies and gents, nothing like a couple sessions of proper physio massage work to really get the kinks out.
    :winky:

But seriously, my shitty left shoulder feels leagues better now! Now I just need to work in some light shoulder recovery work (and fuck do I have enough experience with that kind of program) and it should be right as rain in a week.

Docken on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Today I am going to deadlift all of the weight

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    Today I am going to deadlift all of the weight

ALL of it?!

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Haven't been able to get to the gym in the past week thanks to this stupid fence needing to get built. Worse yet, my quality-of-food intake has gone down orders of magnitude. Gonna have to punish myself when I get back on the horse come next Monday.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    'Nother day, 'nother squat PR.
    A Duck! wrote:
    Yeah, if you're doing a 4-day thing you should probably go two upper, two lower, doing both squats and deadlifts. They have both in there, but I can't see you putting out a good deadlift set after doing a bunch of squats.

Disagree. Some people (like me!) can. I've PR'd on deadlifts after a full squat 3x5, just for the hell of it.

Propriety wrote: »
    Spoiler'd for blargh.
    Was doing chest at the gym today, waiting for a bench press... it's only second week back, so all the freshmen are clogging up the weight room, standing around in groups, chatting. Drives me crazy. There was one guy, though... oh man. A skinny guy, he had 5 pound plates on each side of the bench press bar. He had one of those bar pads on the thing. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why. He would stand over the bench, facing the bar, pick up the bar. Walk backwards until he was no longer over the bench, and then, holding the bar kind of over his head, he'd just... bend forward a little bit. Then he kind of leaned to the side a little bit, looked like he was going to fall over. He did this once or twice, then put the bar back, and sat down on the bench, waited for about 10 minutes, and did it again.

Ugh. Watched this spectacle twice, got frustrated, and did free weight flies instead. I've seen some pretty dumb stuff at the gym, but this... inconceivable!

In better news: squats tomorrow yessss god I hate them but they're so good. Will I stop being a wuss and do more than 185? Let's hope so.

He doesn't need a bench to do this. Tell him that and kick him the fuck off. I kicked someone out of a squat rack yesterday because he was doing cleans and presses (with bizarrely little weight given the size of him, he was decently strong) and he was nice about it.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For some reason, a lot of the newbies get really nervous or don't know that you can take a bar from the floor to overhead or for upright rows. I've done the same and asked people to do those outside of the rack when I needed it. I've also asked to work in with people before who had no idea what that meant.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I tell people to go right to hell when the try and muscle in on the (my) half rack now that the power rack is broken. Yes I'm doing squats / push presses / etc. no you can't have it to do bicep curls.

Yesterday I tied it up for like 2 hours doing my leg routine of squats / box squats / SLDLs / good mornings / overhead squats and there was a guy standing on a bench press bench so he could use the attached rack to do 100# shrugs.

I guess standing on a bench was easier than lifting off the ground?

adytum on
  • Options
    BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just found out that they're turning one of the weight rooms at my university into a "high performance" lift centre. In other words, good bye machines and treadmills, hello power cages, squat racks, and Oly platforms.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man ping pong is a great way to warm up or cool down from a workout.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »

You fucker. Tell me what it was, i must know.

I'm still two days away from the end of this deload. Shit's going to real on friday though. Hands down it will be a PR or ER situation

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Finally made it back to the gym gone twice in the last month due to moving/working overtime/tornadoes. Didn't lose as much strength as I thought I would, but my energy levels and tolerance for actually doing the work of lifting was all shot to hell.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did a 3x10 squats at ~ %80 of 5 rm last night. Was sucking wind at the end and my legs nearly gave out as I was walking out of the gym. Legs weren't even sore, they were just like 'fuck this and fuck you'. Had to sit down for a minute or two.

King Nada on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Man, I think tornadoes are a pretty good excuse to not go to the gym.

What with the possibility of dying and all.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A real Bigman would go Pecos Bill on its ass and ride it to the gym.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Or alternatively, hold on to that pipe from Twister, only instead of using belts, use your own manly arms and do pullups against the resistance of the tornado.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A real big man would go out and throw things back at the tornado.

"You throw like a girl, wind! Let's see you do THIS!"

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A real big man would go out and throw things back at the tornado.

"You throw like a girl, wind! Let's see you do THIS!"
    Woodward_Iowa_Tornado_Damage.JPG
    Let's see that faggot Justin Bieber do that.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Let's see that faggot Justin Bieber do that.

Your SE++ memes will do you no good here!

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, abs day today. Just not as fun.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lifting would be the safest thing to do in a tornado!

It can't pick you up with all that extra weight!

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    moocow wrote: »
    Lifting would be the safest thing to do in a tornado!

It can't pick you up with all that extra weight!

This explains all the guys down here in Miami wearing weight-vests.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    squat that tornado

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »

You fucker. Tell me what it was, i must know.

I'm still two days away from the end of this deload. Shit's going to real on friday though. Hands down it will be a PR or ER situation

Just a set PR, nothing fancy. 360x3x5. I'm in linear gains (again, weirdly, I lost them then took time off and now I'm doing linear well above where I stalled before). so I PR every other workout. Feel like I can get to at least 380 on linear. I went for 200kg after deadlifts Friday and got crushed, so if you can do that you'll be ahead of me. My max is still 190.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So my powerlifting trainer dude is giving me some super low openers for my first meet. I mean.... I know its my first meet and I should just get some numbers on the board.. but I think I could open a little higher. Especially that we found out a couple weeks ago that I can wear knee wraps... Guess I just need to suck it up

Like, I just worked up to 320x5 on 10in box squats, just belt. But he wants me to open with 315, with wraps.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Not sure if I said this before, but I think I've fallen in love with 3x8. Even if I struggle with the 3rd set, I've already done more volume than 3x5, and in less time.

Today I've got a short day at work because it's a demo lesson day (members of the school board and teachers from other schools are coming to watch and judge us). Being an assistant teacher means it's not that stressful for me, and I get to leave after lunch. So I'm gonna be hitting the gym early, and pushing closer to my pre-summer working weights.

3x8x75kg squats, here I come.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thrusters kick the shit out of me. Thought we were going to do squats today, but my workout partner suggested 30 thrusters for time.

95 lbs. Goddamn I am pathetic! It wasn't even hard, it just knocked the wind out of me. After that pisspoor show, pushed really hard on the rest of the workout.

I need to do more thrusters.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I went and googled Thruster; that looks like just a deep push press.

My only concern would be to be careful about form breakdown if you're doing a lot in quick succession. Seems like sloppy form there could lead to injury and/or bad form in OHP and front squats.

On another topic, I'm trying to figure out what mobility drills to put into my warm-up. Right now it's basically just ankle stuff, leg swings, arm swings, and doing QMs side-to-side. Anybody got some good mobility drills they use before lifting?

tehmarken on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do abs really need a day all to themselves?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    do you want to turn that keg into a six-pack or not

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    AMP'd wrote: »
    do you want to turn that keg into a six-pack or not

Ha. You certainly don't need an abs day for that.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the nice thing about working abs is that you can use sit-ups as a rest in your regimen

the bad thing about working abs like that is that then you're miserable when you try to do other exercises

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i might go back to my old football spring training style workouts

wednesday was our traditional ab day for fat guys

god that was the worst(best)

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think one thing about abs is that some people forget to use them in every exercise. Squats, OHP, Bench, Deadlift, etc etc; keep your abs flexed to keep pressure on your spine and keep it properly aligned.

And if you've played baseball, hockey, or golf you should know that abs and your whole core are and important component is transferring power from your legs to your upper body.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So my powerlifting trainer dude is giving me some super low openers for my first meet. I mean.... I know its my first meet and I should just get some numbers on the board.. but I think I could open a little higher. Especially that we found out a couple weeks ago that I can wear knee wraps... Guess I just need to suck it up

Like, I just worked up to 320x5 on 10in box squats, just belt. But he wants me to open with 315, with wraps.

Open low. It's better to hit all your openers and be on the board rather than miss on all of them and get a DNF. Use #2 & #3 to push.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm no expert but I believe one school of thought is to use your opener as your last warmup

Joe Chemo on
This discussion has been closed.