As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] daniels

• DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

That's a silly argument. Perhaps you'd like to debate the merits of Phillips versus Flathead screwdrivers? Or claw vs sledge hammers? They both accomplish tasks. They do so in slightly different ways with different strengths and weakness.

Macs still aren't good for gaming. As people will point out in chat daily in their attempts to try and play LotRO on their mac.

DeShadowC on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Oh god, Leigh has discovered that Civ5 has come out. Now I'm being peppered with questions about if she needs a new machine and what do the various specs mean. I love her deeply, but I really don't want to put together a new machine for her. Or walk her through buying one.

this is your job as the tech-knowing boyfriend.

Sorry.

I know it is. And it's my own damn fault for letting her borrow my copy of Civ4. But she knows just enough tech to be dangerous, and completely lacks any understanding of her limitations in the area. I kinda want to direct her to a Mac just so that I can't support it. But that no Mac version of Civ5 yet. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

booo hiss

That's a silly argument. Perhaps you'd like to debate the merits of Phillips versus Flathead screwdrivers? Or claw vs sledge hammers? They both accomplish tasks. They do so in slightly different ways with different strengths and weakness.

My brother spent many nights singing the praises of Apple's UI design vision to me. Then he bought a Macbook, swears OS X fucking sucks and only runs Windows on it.

And ironically I'm the one arguing he's just not acustomed to another UI's habits.

electricitylikesme on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Dang, Minecraft website is still down.

Do Mike and Jerry at least warn people before doing things like this?

passer
    The following things do not work at the moment:
    Registering an account

Purchasing the game
    User verification for online servers
    Sounds and music for new players
    The following does work:
    Actually playing the game
    Player skins

Until this all gets sorted out, I'm officially calling a "free-to-play weekend", or however long this will take to fix.

This does me no good since I can't register. As I would imagine other people can't either.

You can still download it and just make up a user name it lets you log in.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is really the time for anyone who is on the fence about Minecraft.

Silas Brown on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I haven't bought the game and I'm playing it right now

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2010
    Any news on if D&D is getting a new mod given that Will seems to be on his own most of the time?

Jeffe posts outside of chat all the time

I hadn't noticed him very much. He's probably posting in the threads I avoid (like the rape one).

My advice is for everyone to avoid that thread.

DeShadowC on
    edited September 2010
    you can enter anything or nothing in the username field

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what was quid's law again?

also I miss quid and his youtube clip of the week. He was like the forefather of Tosh.0

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dang, Minecraft website is still down.

Do Mike and Jerry at least warn people before doing things like this?

passer
    The following things do not work at the moment:
    Registering an account

Purchasing the game
    User verification for online servers
    Sounds and music for new players
    The following does work:
    Actually playing the game
    Player skins

Until this all gets sorted out, I'm officially calling a "free-to-play weekend", or however long this will take to fix.

This does me no good since I can't register. As I would imagine other people can't either.

You don't need to register. At the login screen can put pure gibberish at the moment if you'd like.

*edit* Does anyone else feel like a crack dealer right now?

HappylilElf on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Like... I thought it was just going to be Dork Fortress...

But no... it's actually fun!

Chanus on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The kind that doesn't want someone looking over his shoulder peppering him with suggestions. And building new machines don't thrill me. I've built 70 or 80 machines from parts in my life. It doesn't hold a thrill for me anymore. Even for myself it's a task that I want over with.

I just can't fathom being like that. Working IT is something I still love doing in that situation.

I've been playing with computers since I was 6. It's been 24 years since then. It gets old after a while. There isn't a new challenge or mystery in building a machine.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010
    you can enter anything or nothing in the username field

Yeah, apparently if you enter nothing it messes up multi-player... if you wanted to multi-play

Chanus on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what was quid's law again?

also I miss quid and his youtube clip of the week. He was like the forefather of Tosh.0

Basically don't discuss mod decisions in chat.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ahahaha, hipsters are ridiculous
    "Fixed-gear hill bombing" refers to the act of riding a brakeless fixed-gear bicycle down a hill at roughly the same speed as an overly cautious cyclotourist, recording it on video, and then making it seem culturally significant by means of judicious editing and soundtrack application.

http://vimeo.com/14930896

japan on
    edited September 2010
    Okay... back to crafting mines! The sun is down... I haven't survived a night yet :P

Chanus on
    edited September 2010
    Pretty sure that the guy would rather have the interest that PA bring his game and deal with his servers getting railed, even if they didn't ask in advance.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apparently it doesn't like my video card drivers.

Passerbye on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Phillips versus Flathead screwdrivers?

Pozidriv.

japan on
    edited September 2010
    The kind that doesn't want someone looking over his shoulder peppering him with suggestions. And building new machines don't thrill me. I've built 70 or 80 machines from parts in my life. It doesn't hold a thrill for me anymore. Even for myself it's a task that I want over with.

I just can't fathom being like that. Working IT is something I still love doing in that situation.

I've been playing with computers since I was 6. It's been 24 years since then. It gets old after a while. There isn't a new challenge or mystery in building a machine.

Since 6 been 21 years. Just saying its something I can't comprehend.

DeShadowC on
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Pretty sure that the guy would rather have the interest that PA bring his game and deal with his servers getting railed, even if they didn't ask in advance.

I know that destroying his servers resulted in a free weekend so I got a chance to try it out and now I'm going to be buying it... so he wins!

Chanus on
    edited September 2010
    I put together computers all the time. Go to best buy, buy the computer that best matches my criteria, go home and plug it in. Done.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

this is really just perfect for him

the free to play weekend as well

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Macs still aren't good for gaming. As people will point out in chat daily in their attempts to try and play LotRO on their mac.

The only game she plays is Civ4. And now Civ5. She's not a gamer. The odds of her picking up anything other then a Flash game is tiny. A Mac will be fine.
    My brother spent many nights singing the praises of Apple's UI design vision to me. Then he bought a Macbook, swears OS X fucking sucks and only runs Windows on it.

And ironically I'm the one arguing he's just not acustomed to another UI's habits.

That tends to be my issue with a transition. I like getting stuck in my ways.

Thomamelas on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Be sure and try both versions he lists. One of them didn't work for me either for some reason.

HappylilElf on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010

well, that's not really fair

it's not that LOTRO is too advanced for boot camp on a mac. the graphics are far worse than modern games (CO, SC2) that work beautifully on a mac even at near-full settings.

the problem is that there's something kludgy about LOTRO's kinda-updated two-gens-ago graphics that short out some apple gfx cards. i guess boot camp gfx card drivers just don't support whatever kind of protocol LOTRO used to update its EQ1-level graphics.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I need a new computer. I don't think I can run minecraft from what people are saying.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yum, micowaved hotdog. Only six weightwatcher points a go!

RMS Oceanic on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    new york is overwhelming im leaving to become a hermit in the mountains

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Be sure and try both versions he lists. One of them didn't work for me either for some reason.

I tried both, same thing happened.

Passerbye on
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

it's not that LOTRO is too advanced for boot camp on a mac. the graphics are far worse than modern games (CO, SC2) that work beautifully on a mac even at near-full settings.

the problem is that there's something kludgy about LOTRO's kinda-updated two-gens-ago graphics that short out some apple gfx cards. i guess boot camp gfx card drivers just don't support whatever kind of protocol LOTRO used to update its EQ1-level graphics.

u mad

The character models in LOTRO are a bit goofy looking, but the graphics are actually quite good.

Just cuz your mac couldn't handle it... :P

Chanus on
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

The boot camp graphics card's drivers are extremely limited.

DeShadowC on
    edited September 2010

That stinks :?

Chanus on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's official, I'll be getting over $1200 next month for living in Alaska.

But I'm still gonna bitch about this state.

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Phillips versus Flathead screwdrivers?

Pozidriv.

Now you're just being silly. I don't even have a bit for those at the moment.

Thomamelas on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    new york is overwhelming im leaving to become a hermit in the mountains

no u

oh wait

no don't leave me shazzie!

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2010
    Will I propose the religious thread 10 page limit be extended to rape threads, and nfl threads, so they equally hit both genders.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    fwiw thom, when i get my machine back i plan on giving Civ V a try on my boot camp partition. I'll let you know if it gives me trouble.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PC gaming -- the VHS of our times.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's official, I'll be getting over $1200 next month for living in Alaska.

But I'm still gonna bitch about this state.

you dont need that money i need that money

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

That stinks :?

Ehn, the desire to play it's about 98% idle 'nothing better to do' curiosity.

Passerbye on
This discussion has been closed.