As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Tourney] Blood Bowl: Matches resume January 1st.

• ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »
    Sunday has come and gone.

I have posted all teams who have not yet played as a 0-0 result and advanced the day forward. Please check for your next opponent. Please have your matched done by midnight next Sunday. PLEASE.

As for the Tourney... I guess no one wanted to vote. Based on the stats, which themselves were super close, Cruc advances. Sorry Ebo.

This is how the money Tourney stands. Cruc and Zombie play to advance to face Lyk. Loser gets 3rd and the winner gets to compete for 1st/2nd. Results due the same as the League.
    tourney4draft-1.jpg

Welp, that really takes the wind out of my last second touchdown to tie the game.

Good luck with the rest of the tournament, Crucial, enjoy your money. :P

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well...I guess I have to prepare for Dwarves right?

I have 120k. Should I get another 2 Skinks (I have 1 ST1 Skink and 3 Regulars), or another Reroll ( i have 2)?

crucialityfactor on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looks like its me vs Twisty. Can the goblins tie three times in a row?

Phoenix-D on
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I have 120k. Should I get another 2 Skinks (I have 1 ST1 Skink and 3 Regulars), or another Reroll ( i have 2)?

The reroll. Against dwarves, your lack of Block is going to hurt much more than usual, and while you are going to end up losing some Skinks, their effectiveness is going to be mitigated by an entire team of Tackle. Just plan to cage really, really well and keep your Skinks out of the tackle zones.

Lykouragh on
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It's also worth noting that im down a blitzer and a trollslayer, and nobody on my team has reached lvl 2, as far as i can remember.

when is a good time for you?

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    After 7pm EST is good for me.

crucialityfactor on
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey, Lionel/Modri, I'll be spinning in IRC if you want to get our week 3 game in.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Right, so, flying home tomorrow and won't have computer. Will have folks' computer so hopefully can download and continue with my matches no problem (not sure who my person is yet) since even on lowest settings it should play it.

If all else fails, I will hijack my sister's laptop once a week.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just so you guys know, I've only just come back from hospital after having my appendix taken out, so if there's any chance of a time extension to give me a bit more time to recover, it'll be a big help.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited December 2010
    pfff. I don't know how they do it in Namby-Pamby Land, but in Real America we don't use our appendices to play bloodbowl.

(hope you're well)

Tiger Burning on
  • npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am beginning to dislike December quite a bit.

I'll be back January 1st. Extensions for all and to all a good night.

npc.EXE on
    edited December 2010
    Cruc, are you ok with playing our match between christmas and new years? If not, tonight is my only option.

Voodoospork, did you officially drop out of the league? If you feel like playing i'd be up for a match after christmas as well.

Edit: I'll probably be in IRC tonight around 10 either way. If Cruc isn't around then i'd be up for an open league. I took a few days break because ive had a string of frustrating games, but im ready to play again now.

edit 2: Get well soon, blitz.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    edited December 2010
    I was checking the cyanide forums and it turns out there is a thread about replacing teams in a private league:

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25491&sid=5231357dc7689100734bdfb5af60038e#p380627

It looks like we can replace any dropouts with other teams, but they assume the old team's record.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anybody on the fence about this game, Legendary Edition is $20 on today's daily Steam sale.

troublebrewing on
    edited December 2010
    Twisty and I had our game today. Lizardmen vs gobbos. Not surprisingly, the gobbos lost.

The game itself was probably one of the screwiest ones I've played in a while, though. The first half was strange. First turn, I screw up and place my Fanatic right next to my Troll accidentally. Then kick off, and the ball is caught...by a lizardman who's already on the line! Worse, the first two blocks against me result in MNG's. Twisty exploits the hole and starts moving up the left side. And then...well, Golbins should NOT be able to steal the ball from Lizardmen at their own goal line, then run it back for a TD! My poger was basically thumbing his nose at Twisty the entire time.

I paid for it in the second half, though. Chainsawer sliced himself, bomber blew himself up, blitzing goblin re-rolled skull and died, ref set the clock back when I needed the time to score, troll Really Stupid'd on the game tying goblin throw..real comedy of errors.

Phoenix-D on
    edited December 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Chainsawer sliced himself, bomber blew himself up, blitzing goblin re-rolled skull and died, ref set the clock back when I needed the time to score, troll Really Stupid'd on the game tying goblin throw..

So, standard goblin game, then?

Tiger Burning on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Welp, I just repurchased Blood Bowl.

I couldnt find my original versions Product Key, and was sick of trying to keep track of the install files since I originally purchased it from Cyanide.

Hopefully I can put together a team and play some games with some fine folks through Steam :D

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is it weird that I prefer Cyanides Chaos League to Blood Bowl. I think its the whole more reliant on stats than a dice roll which nearly always goes against you. Also turn-overs, I hate them.
    I use to play tabletop BB and bought the computer game on day 1. however I've also put in a couple hundred hours on Chaos League and I still play it every now and then where with BB I stopped playing after 2 weeks.

GaryO on
    edited December 2010
    *pokes* You dead, Sanka?

If anyone is looking for an additional source for their bloodbowl fix, and doesn't want to deal with the cesspool that is public matchmaking, I recommend the Old World Football league.

It's comprised of a 48-team main league that is organized like the NFL, with conferences and divisions and single elimination tournaments at the end of each season (they're on season 4), and a sister league, the Old World Tournament League, where you can have a bunch of teams registered and play pickup games or participate in small tourneys, and which act as a minor league system for the main league. When somebody drops from the main league (a fairly regular occurrence), an eligible team from the OFTL gets 'called up'.

It seems to be a decent community with a pretty broad distribution of skill levels, comparable to our league. I haven't encountered any exploiters or DCers playing there.

This is info on getting started, if you're interested.

Tiger Burning on
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I assume our league is dead? Because I haven't played a match in forever. If that is the case, I can start up a new league with weekly games. Is there interest?

precisionk on
    edited January 2011
    I've never been a fan of the League system, at least in the old Dark Elf Edition.

Can you play pickup matches against anyone in your league or is it still tightly regulated ladder system?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    I've never been a fan of the League system, at least in the old Dark Elf Edition.

Can you play pickup matches against anyone in your league or is it still tightly regulated ladder system?

There are two public leagues, Naggaroth, which is an all matchmaking ladder, and Auld, which has matchmaking but also let's you do pickup games against whoever. The private leagues you can create have strict schedules - no pickup games. The best leagues, as far as I can tell, use Auld to play games, and do the league organizing, tracking and what-not off-site.

(also, I really can't pimp hard enough the Old World League. It's a blast and well run.)

Tiger Burning on
    edited January 2011
    precisionk wrote: »
    So I assume our league is dead? Because I haven't played a match in forever. If that is the case, I can start up a new league with weekly games. Is there interest?

See thread title. The GM had end of the year issues.

Phoenix-D on
    edited January 2011
    Awesome, well, I'd be happy to play anyone that wants a pickup match.

I have access to the Dark Elf or the Legendary Edition ladders, and all of my teams for the LE are freshly minted and needing to get some blood on their cleats.

Just send me a message in steam: Deaddin_PA

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    so i've been playing a single player campaign, to get more used to how things play etc

i'm playing amazons

is the appropriate response to playing games against things like nurgle rotters to just go "fuck it abandon match i'd rather just not have half my team end up permanently disabled", i can find absolutely no way to get past a team where everything out-strengths me?

INeedNoSalt on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The go-to amazon response is dodge and prayer, no?

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited January 2011
    So i guess the league and tourney restart now?

Voodoospork/Cruciality: How does Thursday night work for you?

Edit: If voodoospork has dropped out i believe someone else can sign up a replacement team if they don't mind inheriting the former record.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    so i've been playing a single player campaign, to get more used to how things play etc

i'm playing amazons

is the appropriate response to playing games against things like nurgle rotters to just go "fuck it abandon match i'd rather just not have half my team end up permanently disabled", i can find absolutely no way to get past a team where everything out-strengths me?

If the opposition out-strengths you and they are getting more than 1 block on your team a turn then you are doing it wrong.

You are in the lap of Nuffle on the turn when they receive but after that you should be dictating the pace by stepping off the opposition. By ceding 1 square a turn you will force them to eventually push the pace to get the touch down. That's when they make mistakes. Against a good player they won't force the pace until it's too late for you to exploit their mistake, against the AI I'm not sure what the result will be.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited January 2011
    So i guess the league and tourney restart now?

Voodoospork/Cruciality: How does Thursday night work for you?

Edit: If voodoospork has dropped out i believe someone else can sign up a replacement team if they don't mind inheriting the former record.

So are re-restarting the league or are we doing a new one? Who is all still around to play?

precisionk on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would support a restart. New thread. Sign-ups. Sign-ups for replacements. 1 match / week. People missing their matches get swapped out in favor of replacements.

However, it needs someone more competent than myself to run. Who wants the glory?

enc0re on
    edited January 2011
    I will do it if no one wants to. I just want steady competition.

precisionk on
    edited January 2011
    So, is this league still happening? Either way, I'd be down with a smaller 6-8 league either in replacement or supplement. I can even start it up (and assign additional commissioners to some interested folks to share duties.)

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Time to dredge this thread up again, Blood Bowl LE has received a much needed update,
    Private Leagues with "Open League" settings:
    It is now possible to create private leagues with settings similar to the current Open Leagues (Auld Wold, Naggaroth Open...).
    These new leagues can be found in the League Finder tool (Type of league: Public League, Manager: Community).
    It is possible to blacklist coaches when managing these leagues (Manage League, Teams, Blacklist).
    Require Application (Yes/No): If set to No, teams can take part in the league without submitting an Application.
    Only new teams (Yes/No): If set to Yes, only teams that haven't played a match can join the league.
    Different settings for Matchmaking and Challenge are available (Ranked/Unranked).
    Fixes
    Fixed a match lock up when trying to stand up a Vampire that failed his Blood Lust roll.
    Fixed an exploit allowing to Blitz with more than one player in a turn.
    Fixed a Turnover happening after catching the ball at Kick-Off.
    Fixed Stab always used with Stakes.
    Fixed an issue with players that cannot Blitz after some Kick-Off events.
    Fixed a crash on High Kick event when selecting a player not on the pitch.
    Fixed a crash on Touchback when selecting a player not on the pitch.
    Fixed Horns still active after a Block or Blitz.
    Fixed Shadowing and Tentacles being re-rolled when result is 0.
    Fixed Star Players losing skills when playing with an exported team.
    Fixed Blizzard allowing passes greater than Short Pass (player & AI).
    Fixed Piling On sometimes freezing the game when used with the ball or on the ball carrier.
    Fixed Leap where the player would roll for Leap multiple times.
    Fixed Diving Tackle asked on a Leap.
    Fixed the ball boucing twice at Kick-Off.
    Fixed Blood Lust rolled when throwing a Bomb.
    Fixed the timer of the Follow-up popup.
    Fixed Hand-Off working on Hypnotized player.
    Diving Tackle: Updated the popup to show the log.
    Diving Tackle: Will not be asked on an unmodified Dodge roll of 1 or 6.
    High Kick Event: The game will no longer put a random player at the ball destination on the timeout.
    Updated the Re-roll popup to display correct informations with Shadowing and potentially other skills (ie for Shadowing: "You got 6 and require 6" instead of "You got 6 and require 8").
    Added Tackle to the Optional Skills Block window.
    Blitz Mode: Sponsor now gives more cash at the end of the season (5 periods in Campaign) before players are paid.
    Blitz Mode: Fixed a bug in Campaign where players were paid at the end of a competition instead of at the end of the season (5 periods).

Emphasis on the first point mine

I think this means we'll be able to create an open PA league where people just challenge each other to games whenever they want, instead of having a schedule.

Maddoc on
    edited February 2011
    Indeed! Sounds awesome!

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    neat!

troublebrewing on
    edited February 2011
    I'll sign up for this. If nobody has a league started by the time i get home tonight, I'll start one up. 6-8 people sounds like a reasonable size to me.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    edited February 2011
    Alright, I created a new open league

Name: PA Strikes Back
    PW: wang

Also, it accepts new and old teams, so if you want to move your Open league team over into this private league, go ahead and sign up. Let's get folks back into this.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    edited February 2011
    FINALLY.

Phoenix-D on
    edited February 2011
    So how should we set up matches? I put in applications for my Human & Norse teams to join the league.

I'm not sure if people just want to use the old Steam Chat group that I set up or not.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    So how should we set up matches? I put in applications for my Human & Norse teams to join the league.

I'm not sure if people just want to use the old Steam Chat group that I set up or not.

Gnomed, I went ahead and made you a commissioner and accepted your teams. You should have full access to everything. I'll make the next few coaches who join commissioner as well, so we have a healthy amount of folks accepting applications and verifying games (maybe im pipe dreaming here).

I made a new orc team and a ported over my PA open league nurgle, because i love them. I'll be making a lizard team or porting my open league one over in the near future.

Edit: The steam group thing is a good idea.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam