As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Global warming film banned in school

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Perhaps he made the tape because he felt a desperate need to wake people up AND had some political agenda too? People do not act out of simplistic one-sided motives.
    Sure, that is reasonable. And exactly why it isn't appropriate for a science class.
    Uh. My point was that nothing is the product of a single, simple motive. You can find some element of partisan slant in most high school history textbooks if you read through them (which high school students hardly ever do, making them admittedly harmless). There is nothing tainted by some alterior motive. Anyway, as McDermott said, I entirely disagree that Al Gore has some political agenda insofar as you mean one that is designed to further his political career. I'm a liberal democrat, and a big fan of Clinton, and I didn't even vote for him way back when. His political career is pretty much over, the republicans don't want him, and neither do the democrats.

Yar wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    You've never had a teacher give a completely unwarranted, partisan opinion in class?
    No, not really. Not before college, anyway. But I'm sure it happens.
    Happens often. I was in 5th grade - not even high school - and I distinctly remember hearing shit about it all the time.

Yar wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    So...who really cares? Who cares if a teacher quite obviously supports one political party? Why is that "bad"? I like that teachers have beliefs and personalities and shape our youth to some degree.
    It's like you're reading straight from the creationists' playbook when you make these arguments.
    Perhaps, but I'm being honest. Eventually, it all balances out. Anyone that lives past 20 experiences or has available to him most of the contradicting beliefs that exist. I've seen people grow up with 15 years of Catholic schooling only to throw it away, and I've seen nerdy kids grow up to believe in Creationism. I am against any attempt to artificially balance this kind of thing. And it cuts both ways. Of course, I would prefer all schools teach evolution over intelligent design or creationism or what-have-you, but I'd rather they just teach whatever they want then go clamor to Texans about "balance." Eventually, most intelligent people wisen up.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Let me amend my above comment: you can, of course, find an entirely sterile demonstration presenting the facts of global warming...which is likely boring and your students will forget it immediately. It is difficult to find something with impact that isn't somehow slanted toward some opinion or another. I'm not sure which is better, ethically, but I'm all for using educational tools that actually get messages across...ones that educate.

Drez on
  • Options
    Jon 118Jon 118 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doc wrote:

He... he.... actually said all that stuff that was quoted?

I'm torn between the urge to burst out laughing and to request that he gets sent to a mental hospital.

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    people like this have way too much influence. all they have to fucking do is complain and the school folds like a paper bag.

though I still think there could be a better presented argument against global warming- hell, any argument. I sometimes feel we aren't looking at both sides of the argument. anybody ever read 'state of fear'?

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "No you will not teach or show that propagandist Al Gore video to my child, blaming our nation – the greatest nation ever to exist on this planet – for global warming," Hardison wrote in an e-mail to the Federal Way School Board. The 43-year-old computer consultant is an evangelical Christian who says he believes that a warming planet is "one of the signs" of Jesus Christ's imminent return for Judgment Day.

Your schools listen to people like this?

*facepalm*

Johannen on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Jon 118 wrote:
    Doc wrote:

He... he.... actually said all that stuff that was quoted?

I'm torn between the urge to burst out laughing and to request that he gets sent to a mental hospital.

Man, and he had seven kids he's teaching this shit to . . . Even though I have no desire for kids, I feel like I ought to pop a couple out to counteract him.

LadyM on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Perhaps, but I'm being honest. Eventually, it all balances out. Anyone that lives past 20 experiences or has available to him most of the contradicting beliefs that exist. I've seen people grow up with 15 years of Catholic schooling only to throw it away, and I've seen nerdy kids grow up to believe in Creationism. I am against any attempt to artificially balance this kind of thing. And it cuts both ways. Of course, I would prefer all schools teach evolution over intelligent design or creationism or what-have-you, but I'd rather they just teach whatever they want then go clamor to Texans about "balance." Eventually, most intelligent people wisen up.
    Well, ok then. Me, too.

But do you agree that a less political science curriculum would have avoided the issue?

Yar on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's pretty goddamn stupid to call America the greatest nation to ever exist.

Come on...Ancient Greece, anybody? Even if you think America is the best right now, (and according to the Human Development Index we're only 8th best right now) there is no way that holds up historically.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Well, ok then. Me, too.

But do you agree that a less political science curriculum would have avoided the issue?
    I'll concede that that is most likely the case, on reflection.

Drez on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I watched a way more crazy global warming movie when I was in high school, in my chemistry class. No one had a hissy fit over that. In fact, it seems that people were more worried and accepting of global warming 8 years ago then they are today, despite the recent warming trend.

There is no controversy. Scientists have pretty laid down the hammer and said "Global warming is being at least partly caused by humans." There is nothing the scientific community can gain by saying this. It doesn't make them look better. No reason to lie or make it political. As well, Al Gore may be a politician, but he isn't running for office or anything so I fail to see where his career and movie have anything to do with each other.

Seriously, he should have been president though. Fuck Bush. And fuck fundamentalists. God damn nutjobs. You're ruining the world.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    CaptarcherCaptarcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So we clean up the atmosphere!

On one hand, we can all stop driving to work, the factory that made the parts for your computer your using right now? closed down. What about the Millions of people with jobs that rely on me and you driving cars? mechanics, the people who pave roads, Engineers, all withought a job.

If you want a real issue what about the fact at our current rate, we are goign ot run out of fuel in 10-20 years? do we turn our backs to that to?

on the other hand, when global warming starts to affect earth, im going to be long gone a hundred years, so I could care less. Why teach our children that the world is going to end in a thousand years when they could be learning math and science to become engineers and build an affordable hybrid car?

Captarcher on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Captarcher wrote:

On one hand, we can all stop driving to work, the factory that made the parts for your computer your using right now? closed down. What about the Millions of people with jobs that rely on me and you driving cars? mechanics, the people who pave roads, Engineers, all withought a job.

If you want a real issue what about the fact at our current rate, we are goign ot run out of fuel in 10-20 years? do we turn our backs to that to?

on the other hand, when global warming starts to affect earth, im going to be long gone a hundred years, so I could care less. Why teach our children that the world is going to end in a thousand years when they could be learning math and science to become engineers and build an affordable hybrid car?

Because they won't understand the need for hybrid cars if they don't understand the consequences of not having them. No one is talking about stopping the use of electricity you fool, finding a clean alternative would be awesome. If the government dumped an assload of resources into finding alternative methods over the next couple years, we would be fine unfortunately the oil lobby is so huge, you won't see that happening.

Also you may not be alive in 100 years, but what about your grandkids? This is the exact same kind of thinking the fundies use. "Well Jesus will be here soon, so who caressss?" Guess what, Jesus isn't coming and there will still be human beings in 100 years, assuming we don't kill ourselves off before then.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    YodaTuna wrote:
    Captarcher wrote:

Because they won't understand the need for hybrid cars if they don't understand the consequences of not having them. No one is talking about stopping the use of electricity you fool, finding a clean alternative would be awesome. If the government dumped an assload of resources into finding alternative methods over the next couple years, we would be fine unfortunately the oil lobby is so huge, you won't see that happening.

Also you may not be alive in 100 years, but what about your grandkids? This is the exact same kind of thinking the fundies use. "Well Jesus will be here soon, so who caressss?" Guess what, Jesus isn't coming and there will still be human beings in 100 years, assuming we don't kill ourselves off before then.

What are these kids going to school for? to learn about global warming? You know who is going to make affordable hybrid cars is forien students who study thier asses off to get thier education in America, they get better grades than Americans, who cant get jobs even after spending the last 6-7 years getting a college degree.

Captarcher on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If the government dumped an assload of resources into finding alternative methods over the next couple years, we would be fine unfortunately the oil lobby is so huge, you won't see that happening.

corn lobby is pretty big too, so the assload the they do spend they waste on fucking ethnol. Then thier are they soy homps, with thier shitty non-sustainable version of biodiesel.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Captarcher wrote:
    YodaTuna wrote:
    Captarcher wrote:

What are these kids going to school for? to learn about global warming? You know who is going to make affordable hybrid cars is forien students who study thier asses off to get thier education in America, they get better grades than Americans, who cant get jobs even after spending the last 6-7 years getting a college degree.

It's not a global warming class dipshit. It's a video. 2, maybe 3 class periods will be taken up. That will really fuck them up. But wait, what if it's an eviromental sciences class, a field in which global warming is the number 1 topic. I know it's hard to believe. I don't even understand what the rest of your post has to do with anything.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Do I think that video should have been banned?

No

Do I think America should front money for a problem that afffects the entire world?

Hell No.

EDIT*

I know i got off topic a bit. but global warming affects so many subjects (economy, eduation as you said) its hard to stay on topic.

Captarcher on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Captarcher wrote:
    Do I think that video should have been banned?

No

Do I think America should front money for a problem that afffects the entire world?

Hell No.

Even if the US is the number 1 cause of that problem? Even if the solving that problem would put the US on the forefront of new energy technology and probably earning us a buttload of money? Even if the new energy will more than likely be cheaper than current fossil fuel based energy causing your electric bill to go down and it means you won't have to spend 30 dollars once or twice a week filling your tank.

The positives outweigh the negatives here. It's just like stem cell research. Our government bungled it and now China has at least a 5 year head start on us. If they discover some big thing before we do, you can kiss the US's number 1 health care industry goodbye. If some other country comes up with a better alternative before we do, we'll be paying them. Sounds wonderful doesn't it?

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    people like this have way too much influence. all they have to fucking do is complain and the school folds like a paper bag.

though I still think there could be a better presented argument against global warming- hell, any argument. I sometimes feel we aren't looking at both sides of the argument. anybody ever read 'state of fear'?
    Yes, and I wanted to tear my eyes out about half-way through. If you honestly thought that was a legitimate rebuttal (or hell, even legitimate literature), then I suggest you bury your head in a text book and don't come out.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captarcher wrote:

Hell No.

Do you mean we shouldn't front money for other countries to handle Global Warming, or we shouldn't spend money at all, even to stop the damage we are doing/have done?

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Captarcher wrote:

What about the people whose livelihood depended on making buggies, making harnesses, building stables, specializing in large animal vet care, and breeding and training carriage horses? I guess you should give up your car so you can support those industries.
    on the other hand, when global warming starts to affect earth, im going to be long gone a hundred years, so I could care less.

Yeah, that's a responsible attitude.

LadyM on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LadyM wrote:
    Captarcher wrote:

What about the people whose livelihood depended on making buggies, making harnesses, building stables, specializing in large animal vet care, and breeding and training carriage horses? I guess you should give up your car so you can support those industries.
    on the other hand, when global warming starts to affect earth, im going to be long gone a hundred years, so I could care less.

Yeah, that's a responsible attitude.

Actually, global warming is already affecting the Earth; we're already seeing massive die-outs of marine species and, combined with overfishing, a huge change in the population of the oceans (more algae, jellyfish, and bacteria, fewer fish and other higher sea creatures). The glaciers are rapidly disappearing, far faster than previously anticipated, and we will start seeing increases in storm strength and frequency within the next decade or so. Weather patterns will become increasingly unpredictable (just look at the bizarre winters we're having in the US for the past few years).

Global warming is already affecting us. Luckily for us, human innovation is a huge wellspring. If we get to work now, we can not only undo most of the damage we've inflicted on the environment, we can create a lot of wealth doing it (through new products, more disposable income due to fewer externalities accrued by pollution, etc.).

sanstodo on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captarcher wrote:

Hell No.
    You're totally right.

We need to stop funding all medical research, too. Oh, and the war on terrorism. Plus the drug war. Oh, and we need to stop paying to upkeep roads, too (do you have any idea how much the world benefits from our ability to trade?). And our education system, we need to stop funding that.

Really, we just need to bring an end to every government which exists in the U.S., because we shouldn't be fronting money for any problems that affect the entire world.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PREACH ON!

Yar on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Thanatos wrote:
    Captarcher wrote:

Hell No.
    You're totally right.

We need to stop funding all medical research, too. Oh, and the war on terrorism. Plus the drug war. Oh, and we need to stop paying to upkeep roads, too (do you have any idea how much the world benefits from our ability to trade?). And our education system, we need to stop funding that.

Really, we just need to bring an end to every government which exists in the U.S., because we shouldn't be fronting money for any problems that affect the entire world.
    How about we just spend extra money to make certain the money we DO spend on these issues doesn't benefit any other country? Like, a benefit patrol.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:
    PREACH ON!

Productive post.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    wiggles85wiggles85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Glaciers are not disappearing. Oh sure... some are. Some are growing.

If I spent all day picking black grains of sand up off miami beach, and presented you with a bucket of black sand, and told you miami beach was all black... would you believe me?

Eitherway... yes global warming is happening. No, we cannot be certain it is caused by humans, and we do not know what the repercussions will be. I only say this because I know the tools climate scientists use to make such claims are completely useless. The field of climatology has yet to make accurate predictions beyond more than few years, so excuse me if I'm slow to believe their latest statement, nase on what's going to happen in 100 years.

In the meantime, lets get off fossil fuels, create cleaner technology, but just avoid breaking the bank doing so. Besides, if global warming really is all our fault, then simply cutting emissions will not do shit, unless someone also figures out a way to reclaim billions of tons of CO2 and other GHGs from the atmosphere.

wiggles85 on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wiggles85 wrote:
    Eitherway... yes global warming is happening. No, we cannot be certain it is caused by humans, and we do not know what the repercussions will be. I only say this because I know the tools climate scientists use to make such claims are completely useless. The field of climatology has yet to make accurate predictions beyond more than few years, so excuse me if I'm slow to believe their latest statement, nase on what's going to happen in 100 years.

so ignorant.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Proto wrote:
    wiggles85 wrote:

so ignorant.

He could be on to something. It might very well be Klingons. Or mountain lions. You ever see how pretty their manes look? Fucking Aquanet-using aerosol sprayers.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    YodaTuna wrote:
    Productive post.
    Ironic post.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:
    YodaTuna wrote:
    Productive post.
    Ironic post.
    Moronic posts.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Proto wrote:
    wiggles85 wrote:

so ignorant.

He could be on to something. It might very well be Klingons. Or mountain lions. You ever see how pretty their manes look? Fucking Aquanet-using aerosol sprayers.

Nah, nah, not mountain lions, African lions. Those bastards are trying to bring about the second coming of Aslan.

And Simba.

LadyM on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    wiggles85 wrote:

We can't be certain, yes. We can be pretty god damned sure though and we are. We can't know what the repercussions will be, but we can be pretty god damned sure it's bad.

As far as the field of climatology not making any accurate predictions... wow. You're dumb as a rock.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LadyM wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Proto wrote:
    wiggles85 wrote:

so ignorant.

Nah, nah, not mountain lions, African lions. Those bastards are trying to bring about the second coming of Aslan.

And Simba.

I'm well aware of Lionism. Those Lionists are disgusting, with all their cannibalistic practices and Aslan reincarnation tales. Makes me sick.

Drez on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't think that someone who is looking forward to the end of the world should influence school policy.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    LadyM wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Proto wrote:
    wiggles85 wrote:

so ignorant.

And Simba.

I'm well aware of Lionism. Those Lionists are disgusting, with all their cannibalistic practices and Aslan reincarnation tales. Makes me sick.

OH, I know! And whenever you try to call them on it, they're all, "How come lions are king of the jungle then, dur?" Give me a break. Damn hypocrites live in the SAVANNAH.

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So how many of you shit heads have a background in meteorology then?

I'm telling you that the tools, computer models, climatologists use to predict what is going to happen DO NOT WORK. They have never yielded accurate results.

wiggles85 on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    *sniff* *sniff*

I smell an argument from authority at brew here.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doc wrote:
    I don't think that someone who is looking forward to the end of the world should influence school policy.
    Why not? We give one total control of our military.
    wiggles85 wrote:
    So how many of you shit heads have a background in meteorology then?

I'm telling you that the tools, computer models, climatologists use to predict what is going to happen DO NOT WORK. They have never yielded accurate results.
    No, the tools they use cannot tell us that global temperatures will rise by 2.4 degrees by May 4, 2014. However, they can tell us that a rise in global temperatures can cause stronger storm fronts, unusual weather in both directions (like 60 degree weather in NYC in January), and, in general, what can potentially happen.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Because that's not where the "the sky is falling" bullshit about global warming comes from.

The only weight in the argument is the piece of paper they have. Their tools don't work, and half the time they ignore certain variables that run against what they are saying.

wiggles85 on