As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] The Fantasy Finally Begins! (Go to Wutai.)

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MORE QUESTIONS:

I see people pre-downloading the patches via torrent. Does that mean the "official" way to get the patches will take a fuckdiculous time to download after installation?

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Actually, the official patcher is working well for me currently.

Neurotika on
  • FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fryhole wrote: »
    Question - I'm trying to get the code for the Asuran Armguards. My brother was the one who bought FF13 for the ps3, and he told me that he created a SE account and typed in the code. However, from what a few of you have said they are supposed to either e-mail you a key or somehow give you another key to put in to unlock the item. Maybe linking the code to his account unlocked it, I don't really know.
    I'd appreciate any insight on this!

log in to his members account at member.square-enix.com and navigate to the FFXIII game. In there there is a link to "Bonus" content, you'll find the key in there, that's the key you need to plug in to "services" in account.square-enix.com

Also for those still waiting to play there is an interesting interview on http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/18897-komoto-regarding-the-future/

@sim the stat difference don't scale, or change in any way. You are in control of where you allocate stats. So it is a relatively minor difference in the beginning that equates to almost no difference at all in the long run.

Thanks a bunch! I didn't realize there was a different account-portal. I'm in there right now (had to add NA to the URL, but no prob). It looks like he got a few points for registering FFXIII. Looking for the 'bonus' content section, all I seem to be able to find is the 'points section' which doesn't list it.

Edit: Maybe it's not showing up because he doesn't have FF14 registered?

Fryhole on
    edited September 2010
    sim wrote: »
    I have done so little homework on this game. I just noticed that the starting stats pretty wildly different between different clans of the same races. In the long term, it's a relatively minor complaint, but for right now all of these choices are a little annoying. Lalafell or Miquote, Dunesfolk Plainsfolk Keeper or Seeker, days/moons, all the starting jobs, starter town...I have until this evening to choose between little dude with a cool beard or cat girl. The stat differences I hope won't scale and should be minor in the long term...I really hope.

Since I do plan on leveling all jobs to 10ish first off before committing to one battle and one craft class...are starter weapons/gear easily available for different disciplines, or is there a particular starter gear set that would be best to use long term? When you start at a particular town, does that lock you into a mission storyline and/or housing for that town, or are you free to pick up quest-lines between them?

I thought the same way about the stats, but considering for each physical level you get +5 points to put into stats, it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal as it was in FFXI. Granted there becomes a point where it's no longer 1/1 but even so, it's definitely a min/max scenario and only a small difference.

I'd assume that whatever class people were going to main they would put points toward the stat for that class. Or is that an incorrect way of thinking for stat distribution.

Riokenn on
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My local Gamestop has collector's editions in stock and I'm tempted to pick one up.

How does this game compare to FF XI? I remember that game being very group and "grind" focused but one of the bullet points on gamestop.com says that this game "...allows for both quick and extensive play sessions, accessible in solo and group play." Basically, is this game like WoW at all as far as quests are concerned? Am I going to be able to log in, run a few quests and feel like I accomplished something or is it going to be more grind focused like FF XI or Aion?

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Question - I'm trying to get the code for the Asuran Armguards. My brother was the one who bought FF13 for the ps3, and he told me that he created a SE account and typed in the code. However, from what a few of you have said they are supposed to either e-mail you a key or somehow give you another key to put in to unlock the item. Maybe linking the code to his account unlocked it, I don't really know.

log in to his members account at member.square-enix.com and navigate to the FFXIII game. In there there is a link to "Bonus" content, you'll find the key in there, that's the key you need to plug in to "services" in account.square-enix.com

Also for those still waiting to play there is an interesting interview on http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/18897-komoto-regarding-the-future/

@sim the stat difference don't scale, or change in any way. You are in control of where you allocate stats. So it is a relatively minor difference in the beginning that equates to almost no difference at all in the long run.

Thanks a bunch! I didn't realize there was a different account-portal. I'm in there right now (had to add NA to the URL, but no prob). It looks like he got a few points for registering FFXIII. Looking for the 'bonus' content section, all I seem to be able to find is the 'points section' which doesn't list it.

Select "Features" then scroll down to FFXIII and select that. Then on the left hand side menu you'll see "Bonus Codes". Then Scroll down to the section title "Your bonus code" and click the "Review Your PlayStation®3 Bonus Code and Bonus Details" red link to reveal the code. Then you'll need to enter that code in the "Services" section of your account.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Installing right now. God the CE is pretty.
    I plan to spend at least an hour in character creation. D:

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited September 2010

Select "Features" then scroll down to FFXIII and select that. Then on the left hand side menu you'll see "Bonus Codes". Then Scroll down to the section title "Your bonus code" and click the "Review Your PlayStation®3 Bonus Code and Bonus Details" red link to reveal the code. Then you'll need to enter that code in the "Services" section of your account.

Wow - yep, that was it. I've never used the site before, but man I don't know if I would've ever found that. Thanks again!

Fryhole on
    edited September 2010

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I still need to wait 10 hours to get off work :(

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm hoping my phones wifi hotspot is enough to get me online and make my character. About all I am able to do today is make Gally and get a pearl. Tomorrow and this weekend though its on!

Edit: picking the game up in a little over an hour. Told my office i need to run an 'errand'

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • gqwugqwu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    sim wrote: »
    Since I do plan on leveling all jobs to 10ish first off before committing to one battle and one craft class...are starter weapons/gear easily available for different disciplines, or is there a particular starter gear set that would be best to use long term? When you start at a particular town, does that lock you into a mission storyline and/or housing for that town, or are you free to pick up quest-lines between them?

Starter weapons for each class are super cheap, <1000gil. You can afford all 7 from each war/magic class after doing the intro quest and a few leves.
    Gladiator has slightly better starting armor, but the equipment may not favor other classes, so the stats it gives you will be much less. Probably better off to just pick the first fighting class you want to concentrate on.
    Yes the town you pick will determine which questline you get to do, but I think they converge later on. Some cutscenes showed all of the mysterious characters from each city's quest fighting together.

gqwu on
    Peda Bear @ Wutai
  • simsim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sweet thanks. Out of the starter set looks, pug armor wins for me. :winky:

sim on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, I need a place to download the current patch for release, because the updater fucking sucks. 9 hours remaining my ass.

If it makes you feel better, I won't be able to play it till I get off tonight really.

vagrant_winds on
    edited September 2010
    Okay, I need a place to download the current patch for release, because the updater fucking sucks. 9 hours remaining my ass.

If it makes you feel better, I won't be able to play it till I get off tonight really.

You probably need to open the appropriate ports or go full DMZ. You can designate which port you want them to use in the config menu.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/envi/envi05.html

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So anyone who has gotten in, can you confirm if you can change your beta character? I want to use one of my beta names, but I want to change their race/class.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • StuartenhaffenStuartenhaffen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Stupid Royal Mail and their inability to deliver packages, I think they actually shut down when it's raining. Got off work 3 hours early too :(

Stuartenhaffen on
    edited September 2010

You probably need to open the appropriate ports or go full DMZ. You can designate which port you want them to use in the config menu.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/envi/envi05.html

I just manually opened the torrent files in uTorrent after reading the OP. Hello 100x faster download speeds.

vagrant_winds on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh jeez. I just logged into Amazon only to see that I hadn't selected "Release Date Delivery" I was scheduled to get it on October 7th!!

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    edited September 2010
    Oh jeez. I just logged into Amazon only to see that I hadn't selected "Release Date Delivery" I was scheduled to get it on October 7th!!

Ouch, that sucks :( Can you change it to get it soon?

AtomBomb on
  • ArfortArfort Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    S-Starwind wrote: »
    Topia wrote: »
    Oh, nevermind...
    *2 To play FINAL FANTASY XIV, you will need to pay a basic account fee and fees for each character.

The basic fee and 1 character fee, together, amount to your standard monthly mmo charge.

Standard MMO charge is usually $14.99 though. :winky:

Yeah, but other MMO never delete your character. Or charge you obscene amounts of money so you can have a bank alt.

Arfort on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    AtomBomb wrote: »

Ouch, that sucks :( Can you change it to get it soon?

Yeah, just did it. It's a good thing I checked.

EDIT: In fact everyone here who has a Standard Edition release ordered better go double check their orders just in case!! (I imagine the CE player would have already noticed that theirs didn't ship.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    edited September 2010
    Arfort wrote: »
    S-Starwind wrote: »
    Topia wrote: »
    Oh, nevermind...
    *2 To play FINAL FANTASY XIV, you will need to pay a basic account fee and fees for each character.

The basic fee and 1 character fee, together, amount to your standard monthly mmo charge.

Standard MMO charge is usually $14.99 though. :winky:

Yeah, but other MMO never delete your character. Or charge you obscene amounts of money so you can have a bank alt.

Well let's see, let's add on a "bank alt". That is another $1 a month. So we're up to $13.99, still cheaper than standard price, so let's add another. Now we have 3 retainers available, all of which can hold 80 slots and all of which can sell items to people in the market bazaar. This is in addition to your character who can also have a personal bazaar on them at all times and can carry 80 slots.

So yes, If you want to have multiple "bank alts" you can, however I would hardly call it "obscene amounts of money" considering a) you are bringing yourself up to standard mmo pricing by getting the alts, and b) all your retainers can sell stuff while you are out adventuring.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited September 2010
    Gaaaaah character creation. So hard choosing a race. D:

vagrant_winds on
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    NOTE:

You do not need to register a CC to get playing. If you select Crysta as an option when paying to add a character, select the 300 crysta option, and it will deduct your required crysta total down to 0 with the free month of gameplay. No registration required.

Topia on
  • LordDHMDLordDHMD Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Online now

Cercies Hauser and I started at Ul'dah, I am the elf thetermage or whatever it is.

LordDHMD on
    edited September 2010
    So anyone who has gotten in, can you confirm if you can change your beta character? I want to use one of my beta names, but I want to change their race/class.

Yes when it detects your saved char data, just press BACK and edit. The beta names are just for name, not char data.

gqwu on
    Peda Bear @ Wutai
    edited September 2010
    I know some of you guys have been yelling this in the forums already but I found out the payment method.

Now the only question is, which is the lesser of two evils? Or should we wait for a game card to come out after our free month is up. :X

Riokenn on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gamecards have never come out for FFXI, so I wouldn't expect them with XIV either.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited September 2010
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I know some of you guys have been yelling this in the forums already but I found out the payment method.

Now the only question is, which is the lesser of two evils? Or should we wait for a game card to come out after our free month is up. :X

ClickandBuy is better. With Crysta you'll be spending unused money. Not a lot, but there you go. With Click and Buy, to be safe pay for a month, then cancel the payments until next month.

Topia on
  • SquallSeeD31SquallSeeD31 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Riokenn wrote: »

PlaySpan has a better track record and more plentiful payment options (their game cards are pretty much everywhere), however it is still a third-party payment processor and as such should be regarded with at least some modicum of wariness. I've never had any trouble with them, but then I work for a company that does business with them.

That being said, even if you want to pay with Crysta, for the time being you could only do that by making a payment through ClickAndBuy.

SquallSeeD31 on
    FFXIV: Alchemy Stuff Character:
    8229_48d6215903dff562.png
    edited September 2010
    Plus as I posted before, you don't need to register shit yet. When you add character to your free month, select crysta and "300" amount. It will subtract it amounts (1299 from the free month) and your total required crysta will be 0. So you're in without registers any cards.

Topia on
    edited September 2010
    gamecards have never come out for FFXI, so I wouldn't expect them with XIV either.

Well its sorta ish like a gamecard.
    You may purchase Crysta with either a PayPal account or by inputting a time card from PlaySpan - Ultimate Pay. These time cards can be purchased at Walmart, 7eleven, Gamestop or at their website: https://www.playspan.com/ultimate-game-card in increments of $8, $10, and $20 USD.

Riokenn on
    edited September 2010
    In as Peda Bear in Uldah

gqwu on
    Peda Bear @ Wutai
  • MarloweMarlowe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I'm just wondering, should we be deleting our Beta files and then installing the disc, or is that just wasting time? I'm assuming we wouldn't need the beta files to get our "saved name" right? I mean, they can at least handle that, right?

Marlowe on
    edited September 2010
    So I am once again Lans Taramoor. yay

Topia on
    edited September 2010
    Marlowe wrote: »
    So I'm just wondering, should we be deleting our Beta files and then installing the disc, or is that just wasting time? I'm assuming we wouldn't need the beta files to get our "saved name" right? I mean, they can at least handle that, right?

Uninstall your beta or your retail install will be corrupted when you try to uninstall beta later. The char files are saved in your my documents folder and won't be touched.

gqwu on
    Peda Bear @ Wutai
  • SquallSeeD31SquallSeeD31 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do we have our pearl up yet btw? I'm in as Mheso Ngati

SquallSeeD31 on
    FFXIV: Alchemy Stuff Character:
    8229_48d6215903dff562.png
  • MarloweMarlowe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gqwu wrote: »
    Uninstall your beta or your retail install will be corrupted when you try to uninstall beta later. The char files are saved in your my documents folder and won't be touched.
    Thanks! You probably just saved me hours of headache. : )

Marlowe on
    edited September 2010
    gqwu wrote: »

Yes when it detects your saved char data, just press BACK and edit. The beta names are just for name, not char data.

Fuck yeah. That's a relief. Thanks for checking!

AtomBomb on
    edited September 2010
    So, which race looks the best with the onion helm? I'm guessing lalafell, but prove me wrong.

Fryhole on
This discussion has been closed.