As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Colleges

• Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, it seems like a nice school. It has a criminal justice program, which I like. I'm keeping my options open just in case my plans for Virginia Tech fall through. Always got to have a backup plan, you know.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Carnegie Mellon University - Accepted
    Princeton - Accepted
    Harvard - Accepted
    Case Western Reserve - Accepted
    Yale - Rejected (fuck you Yale)

Went to CMU while I was still in high school to take care of most of my freshman classes. But ultimately ended up at Case because they gave me a full ride pretty much.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    GrimDog420 wrote: »
    (fuck you Yale)

There is not enough lime in the intertoobz.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I always thought it was weird that the States consider what Canadians call Universities to be Colleges.

Up here, a college is like "Oh, you got 60s and 70s and high school? Haha sucker, it's hotel management at Georgian College for you."

Alpine on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Alpine wrote: »
    I always thought it was weird that the States consider what Canadians call Universities to be Colleges.

Up here, a college is like "Oh, you got 60s and 70s and high school? Haha sucker, it's hotel management at Georgian College for you."

In the US, the difference is that universities have graduate studies, while colleges are devoted to the bachelaurate level.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Universities have multiple colleges in them. Colleges dont.

geckahn on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    GrimDog420 wrote: »
    Carnegie Mellon University - Accepted
    Princeton - Accepted
    Harvard - Accepted
    Case Western Reserve - Accepted
    Yale - Rejected (fuck you Yale)

Went to CMU while I was still in high school to take care of most of my freshman classes. But ultimately ended up at Case because they gave me a full ride pretty much.

Man, turned down Princeton and Harvard? Surely they must have given you decent money if you were poorish. Though I would not want to go to Princeton frankly.

But then I turned down a better school than Case that was giving me a near full ride for an Ivy that isn't even one of those 3 that gave me 0 money... different strokes I guess.

EDIT: Though not because it was an Ivy, I just didn't like the school that gave me all that money as much. It would have been good if I had wanted to be a specific major I guess, but I didn't know what I wanted to be, so... yeah.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Eh.

College screening is screwy anyways.

I somehow managed to get accepted to Cal Poly's Mechanical Engineering major after getting a D/Non-Attendance in an Alg 2/Trig class.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't believe people here are actually considering Virginia Tech as one of their top options. It's not the worst school by any means but it is barely above the other state schools. If you can get accepted at UVA or W&M, you should go there or out of state for engineering and business. Go to VT and you'll probably get shot.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    SymmetrySymmetry Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to University of Western Ontario in the fall for my first year, for Business Management and Organizational Studies; not the best business program in the country, but it gets me into the Richard Ivey school of business, which is one of the best.

We have the highest operating budget of any college student council in the country (17 million) and it's a really nice campus, voted nicest in Canada, on top of Banff.

Also, the Saugeen residence was ranked the #2 place to get laid in North America on Letterman :lol:

The drawback being that you have to live in London. ;-)

Symmetry on
    Perhaps it is not-being that is the true state, and all our dream of life is inexistent; but, if so, we feel that these phrases of music, these conceptions which exist in relation to our dream, must be nothing either. We shall perish, but we have as hostages these divine captives who will follow and share our fate. And death in their company is somehow less bitter, less inglorious, perhaps even less probable.
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »
    I can't believe people here are actually considering Virginia Tech as one of their top options. It's not the worst school by any means but it is barely above the other state schools. If you can get accepted at UVA or W&M, you should go there or out of state for engineering and business. Go to VT and you'll probably get shot.

Are... are you serious?

VT is one of the best schools in Virginia and definitely top pick among people in other states as well for things like engineering. Way to generalize the entire fucking school based on one incident from one person which could have happened at literally any school in the entire country.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Are... are you serious?

VT is one of the best schools in Virginia and definitely top pick among people in other states as well for things like engineering. Way to generalize the entire fucking school based on one incident from one person which could have happened at literally any school in the entire country.

Yeah, I gotta say that's a pretty bullshit fucking thing to say.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Are... are you serious?

Yeah, I gotta say that's a pretty bullshit fucking thing to say.

It was the second multiple killing on campus, that year. The best part is sitting and waiting inside while you have no idea if someone is going to burst in and kill you, for 8 hours.

Twice.

Maybe another school wouldn't have handled it better but I can't think of another school with a police force that is less present than the VT one.

-I have visited UVA, W&M and GMU and they rank far far above VT in how they treat their students. VT acts as if it is a for-profit intitution, giving the most benefits to those with the most money.
    -Want to go to a football game? Better pray you get a ticket in the lottery or pay for the season tickets which are pretty much luck of the draw too. Lots of people end up in the nosebleed section. With a stadium that seats over 66 thousand people it's despicable that all the students who want to get into the games can't.
    -I hope you don't like live music either because there about 2 medium-time acts each semester. For a school of 26,000 that is apalling. I travelled for 3 hours to Longwood University to go see Regina Spektor. Fucking Longwood, the 4000 student college in Farmville. Better not like interesting events either, there are no festivals of note, only the occasional fundraiser.
    -The drillfield idea seems neat until you realize it seperates you from ever seeing a faculty or staff member walking on campus somewhere. The faculty arrives on north campus, scurry to their buildings and at the end of the day drive off. The drillfield also adds an extra 5 minutes to wherever you're going on north campus and it's a bitch in the winter with the high winds and mud.
    -For it's age, the VT campus is appallingly landscaped. The only trees older than 10 years are around the drillfield and these are starting to show serious signs of stress and disease. It's hilarious to watch students trying to take shade under a 8 foot sapling. This is because either the grounds crew doesn't give a shit about the massive compaction in the soil or doesn't even know why the trees have to be replaced every 2 years.
    -The student center is conveniently located on the edge of campus, nowhere near where students would use it.
    -Freshmen dorms are especially atrocious but I don't get the impression that's much different than UVA or W&M.
    -The VT newspaper is really quite amazingly bad, not only does it feature such spectacular events such as a fender bender as it's leading story, you'll also find many varieties of terrible writing and photography.
    -Enjoy the lack of application screening of any kind as you will find yourself sitting next to the worst Virginia has to offer. My neighbor freshman year was a kid who had been kicked out of high school sophomore year for dealing vicodin. He enrolled at a nearby high school and got into VT.

Unless you're absolutely married to the academics or you only go out and drink on the weekends (like most college students) you won't enjoy VT.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    (VT bashings)

Next you could compare them to Ohio State minus the shootings, which are just as probable to happen here. Then, I (and many others here) will punch you in the face over the internet.

Just because these are all your opinions doesn't make them right. Or the need to be reiterated in bulleted format.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Next you could compare them to Ohio State

I don't think VT is that bad.
    Just because these are all your opinions doesn't make them right.

Most of what I listed above aren't opinions, they're facts and my interpretation of them.

I gave you my reasons as to why VT is a subpar school. If you've got some argument as to why they are a great institution (especially in comparison to the other schools I mentioned) I'd love to hear it.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Some people like the way VT is set up, and succeed in that environment, and that's all that matters. The stuff you pointed out are pretty much inconsequential nitpickings, that are really just problems with large schools in general., but they're still running because clearly someone's succeeding at them.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    VT acts as if it is a for-profit intitution

You might be in for a rude surprise.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »

Like it or not, all schools are this. They're a business. They're there to make money. Just like the hospital I work at.

If you didn't figure this out by now, I really don't see any point in continuing to argue.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Universities make money by educating your students well enough and giving them enough opportunities to make oodles of cash when they graduate, then they donate back to you. That's the reasoning behind scholarships (let the ones who probably will be ultra-rich go for free, we'll get a big return on our money) and so on.

What makes other places "for-profit" is that they know no one's going to donate to them, because they're that low on the tier and probably don't even have a communal presence (on-line schools, schools with disparate small campuses nationwide) but just charge high tuition, make a profit off the tuition (which normal schools absolutely do not) and then launch their students into the world, ready for the next brand of suckers.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Universities make money by educating your students well enough and giving them enough opportunities to make oodles of cash when they graduate, then they donate back to you. That's the reasoning behind scholarships (let the ones who probably will be ultra-rich go for free, we'll get a big return on our money) and so on.

What makes other places "for-profit" is that they know no one's going to donate to them, because they're that low on the tier and probably don't even have a communal presence (on-line schools, schools with disparate small campuses nationwide) but just charge high tuition, make a profit off the tuition (which normal schools absolutely do not) and then launch their students into the world, ready for the next brand of suckers.

uh. So like, the University of Phoenix?

Last time I checked it was like the only accredited for profit college in America.

I'm having a hard time thinking of these schools you speak of. I mean, if a school does happen to make a profit one year - which, trust me, will only happen from grants and donations, then it's called Net Excess, and gets reinvested in the school.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    geckahn wrote: »

uh. So like, the University of Phoenix?

Last time I checked it was like the only accredited for profit college in America.

I'm having a hard time thinking of these schools you speak of. I mean, if a school does happen to make a profit one year - which, trust me, will only happen from grants and donations, then it's called Net Excess, and gets reinvested in the school.

Yeah, that's really the only school I mean. Some people say that Full Sail is basically for-profit, and while I'm not really so sure about it, I think ITT Tech is one, too. I was talking about for-profit in the sense that VT, along with essentially all other universities in the nation, are absolutely not for-profit, and it's ridiculous for Gafoto to think otherwise. In the case of certain private universities, if I'm not mistaken, they even achieve NPO status officially (at least the private high school I went to did so).

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »

Like it or not, all schools are this. They're a business. They're there to make money. Just like the hospital I work at.

If you didn't figure this out by now, I really don't see any point in continuing to argue.

Patently untrue. Some places try to be more cost-efficient, but this is entirely dependent on the institution. I was treated like a prince at my private college and only paid about $20,000 for 4 years for tuition + room/board, and half of that are in loans whose interest rate varies between 0-5%. Harvard guarantees free everything to people whose family income is $50k or below.

Berea college has you work to earn your keep rather than pay tuition. VT may be icky but it doesn't have to be that way nor is it always.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was gonna go into computer science but decided against it, as the idea of looking at an IDE all day was not tempting. So now I'm attending York University for psych. and then I plan on going on to law school. My question is: whats law school like and what is the transition from law school to actual "lawyering" like?

Prot3us on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Prot3us wrote: »
    I was gonna go into computer science but decided against it, as the idea of looking at an IDE all day was not tempting. So now I'm attending York University for psych. and then I plan on going on to law school. My question is: whats law school like and what is the transition from law school to actual "lawyering" like?

Did you make the "becoming the lawyer" H/A thread? Because all you're doing is trading staring at a computer to staring at documents, and learning what those documents mean is what goes on in law school, memorizing terms and whatnot. It's not going to be like what you see on Law & Order with crazy stuff happening all the time.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Did you make the "becoming the lawyer" H/A thread? Because all you're doing is trading staring at a computer to staring at documents, and learning what those documents mean is what goes on in law school, memorizing terms and whatnot. It's not going to be like what you see on Law & Order with crazy stuff happening all the time.

Well when you make 200,000+ dollars a year...

Katholic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Good point. You are making absurd amounts of money. But I was just saying it's not going to be fun, and considering that the "fun factor" is what turned him away from computer science, he needs to be warned.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Katholic wrote: »

Everything I've read suggests that you won't really enjoy that though if you don't enjoy law (although similarly that you have to enjoy law to get through it in the first place).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Katholic wrote: »

Everything I've read suggests that you won't really enjoy that though if you don't enjoy law (although similarly that you have to enjoy law to get through it in the first place).

Yeah. being a lawyer honestly sounds like the shittiest job ever.

Read Philalawyer's blog for a both humorous and realistic portrayal of it.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Some people like the way VT is set up, and succeed in that environment, and that's all that matters. The stuff you pointed out are pretty much inconsequential nitpickings, that are really just problems with large schools in general., but they're still running because clearly someone's succeeding at them.

Dude's opinion is valid. He goes to the school, and knows what's going on. It may be a little negative, but I like to hear from people who have gone or are going to a school to see what it's like. Some people may love it, some people may hate it. It all depends.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm European, but I applied for and received a scholarship that covers one year of college in the state of Georgia. I'll be attending LaGrange College.

Toldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You'll get lots of attention there. Women love dudes with accents.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Gafoto, since you're going to Virginia Tech, I'm wondering is there are some things you like about it. It can't be all bad can it?

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going on a trip in a few weeks through MIT, Harvard, and Cornell, possibly stopping by at Rensselaer or Worcester. If anybody has any tips as to what I should check out along the way or additional colleges along the route, I'd love to know.

Going into my senior year--writing up 10 college applications is going to be fun...

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If any of them are on the common application program I'd recommend using that.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    CptKemzik wrote: »

Yeah, I have auto-admission to at least two of them, anyway. Making sure everyone that needs standardized test scores will get them is the hardest part, as far as I can tell.

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was looking at Pomona and Pitzer pretty seriously there for a while, when I wasn't sure if I wanted to pursue film, and they were pretty cool schools. Even visited them.

Now, though, I figure even if it is a tricky business, I'll never forgive myself if I don't at least give film a shot. Right now, USC is my first choice for obvious reasons, and I think I'll also apply to UCLA, Pomona, NYU and maybe UC Berkeley, Bard, and Emerson. The only disappointing thing is that I was a National Merit Scholar, and sent one of my recommendations to Pitzer, which is going to be wasted, but c'est la vie.

I'm a bit iffy about USC, as, even though it isn't a UC school, it has some very, very low out-of-state acceptance numbers. Has anyone applied there? Does anyone have anything to contribute? Do I have a chance?

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm a bit iffy about USC, as, even though it isn't a UC school, it has some very, very low out-of-state acceptance numbers. Has anyone applied there? Does anyone have anything to contribute? Do I have a chance?

Collegeboard is saying 47% out of state students, so you're probably fine. I don't know how much of that is transfer students, though.

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow my sources were significantly off, then. That makes sense.

Coolcool.

I'm still not entirely confident going to a school that's so large, or one with such an enormous sports/greek scene, but oh well.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Moridin wrote: »

Yeah, I have auto-admission to at least two of them, anyway. Making sure everyone that needs standardized test scores will get them is the hardest part, as far as I can tell.

Almost everyone has bullshit 'supplements to the Common App,' though. ie, "Write an extra-special essay kissing just our ass."

I guess you don't have much interest in small colleges? They're worth considering.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Moridin wrote: »

Almost everyone has bullshit 'supplements to the Common App,' though. ie, "Write an extra-special essay kissing just our ass."

I guess you don't have much interest in small colleges? They're worth considering.

Caltech was the smallest I was considering, but jesus, 260ish incoming freshman per year? MIT/Northwestern/Cornell would be great, though.

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png