As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Colleges

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:
    I just have to say I have NO fucking clue how you people can afford all these colleges.

my keytar gig pays well

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:
    I just have to say I have NO fucking clue how you people can afford all these colleges.

i don't attend ALL the colleges i got accepted into.

real answer: loans loans loans parents parents loans my own cash loans my own cash parents loans

in that order

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:

I dunno, my family is all "education ftw" and will happily throw as much money as they can into my tuition.

Vincent Grayson on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:

Financial aid and scholarships?

My school costs like 30 grand but I only pay 3000 because I am smart and not rich.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, you can borrow almost anything for financial aid loans.

Shinto on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I applied to like 12... mostly because I couldn't figure out where I wanted to go. I envy those kids who knew and applied to one school ED and never had to again. I didn't decide which school till like 2 days before I had to. Ended up at Columbia U., (aka "University of Havana, North" - Bill O'Reilly). Doing engineering. Not sure if that's what I want to do though really, but so far it's fine and dandy.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • JaynJayn Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Saburbia wrote:
    [Over here in Canada, we at first get a mininum of 3 choices, which you choose in order of which one you rather have and this costs 100 bucks.

Than afterwards you can send as many applications you want to other universities which cost like 33 bucks each.

You're in Ontario, aren't you? I was looking at applying to Carleton and that sounds like the system used there. Here in Nova Scotia it's your basic free-for-all .

I applied to University of King's College and St. Thomas University, and was accepted at both with scholarships. The Carleton application was never sent since I heard back from King's (my first choice) before I got it finished--saved me a good chunk of change.

Jayn on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shinto wrote:
    Yeah, I'm just scared shitless of debt. I graduated debt free. It's nice. I'd recommend it. I don't think my quality of education was really appreciably inferior to justify some of the prices people end up paying. I actually don't really think it was inferior at all.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm currently going to Ithaca College, and I'd never be able to afford the wacky amount of money they want if my dad working here didn't give me a huge break on tuition.

Trevor on
  • GodGod Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:

I applied to one school, The University of Puget Sound. I was accepted and go there.

My mom also happens to work at the school, so I don't have to pay any tuition. So, I'm going to graduate next year with no debt. Which is probably a good thing considering my major is Philosophy. :)

God on
    sky.JPG
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Johannen wrote:
    in the U.K you can only make a maximum of three applications. You get a first, second and third choice and apart from that you're boned. if you read back a bit this has been explained before.
    And if you read back not even so far, you'd see that my question is "why should it be so?"
    The reason behind it is if you didn't have a system that limited your choices, everybody would just apply to everywhere and the university administrations would have to sift through exponentially larger piles of applications every year. At least, I assume that's the reason.
    Except that's not what happens.

Isn't it because we have private Universities here and all Universistes in Britain and Canada are essentially state-run?

My point was more argumentative. Someone was aghast that we are "allowed" to do this. I'm just wondering who you think is "allowing" us.

Yar on
  • GodGod Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Isn't a good thing that some people apply to 100 universities? It just means that some rich asshole is giving 100 application fees to 100 institutions of higher learning. Sounds pretty good to me.

God on
    sky.JPG
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:
    Johannen wrote:
    in the U.K you can only make a maximum of three applications. You get a first, second and third choice and apart from that you're boned. if you read back a bit this has been explained before.
    And if you read back not even so far, you'd see that my question is "why should it be so?"
    The reason behind it is if you didn't have a system that limited your choices, everybody would just apply to everywhere and the university administrations would have to sift through exponentially larger piles of applications every year. At least, I assume that's the reason.

Isn't it because we have private Universities here and all Universistes in Britain and Canada are essentially state-run?

My point was more argumentative. Someone was aghast that we are "allowed" to do this. I'm just wondering who you think is "allowing" us.

I wonder if that was the initial British response to the Declaration of Independence.

"Wait a minute, who allowed them to declare independence? I don't recall giving them the ok on that!"

Vincent Grayson on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I applied early decision(Stevens), got accepted, and went there. Piece of cake.

Zek on
  • ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Johannen wrote:
    Yar wrote:
    Johannen wrote:
    Jesus christ how many universities are you Americans allowed to apply to?!?!
    Americans don't gerenally view activities in terms of "what we're allowed to" do. Why wouldn't you be able to apply to any university?

Since when? I applied to six universities and there was no order of preference (although Oxbridge and medicine applications had to go off early). And Yar, this is only through the UCAS system, which you don't actually have to go through, it just makes things a bit easier.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Podly wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    I've heard Fordham is a really good college.

It's alright. It's so fucking easy, but I wonder if that's how all colleges are.

Don't you have to be gay to go there though?

I mean, you got in right?

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, it's good to see I'm not the only state-schooler around here. Applied to Montana State, got accepted, and going there for engineering. Chose it because I was living in Bozeman, my then girlfriend now wife was going there, and they have a decent engineering program. It works.

I sometimes forget that for kids coming out of high school applying to college is like a process or something. I just showed up at the registrar's office about a week before classes started in the spring and was all "I'm feeling a college vibe."

I mean, this isn't the most exclusive private school on the planet or anything, but they do turn people away. For me starting school was about as monumental as ordering a latte. Non-trads FTW!

mcdermott on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Johannen wrote:
    Pants Man wrote:
    Johannen wrote:
    Yar wrote:
    Johannen wrote:
    Jesus christ how many universities are you Americans allowed to apply to?!?!
    Americans don't gerenally view activities in terms of "what we're allowed to" do. Why wouldn't you be able to apply to any university?

that doesn't happen in the US. i mean, hell, my school has 50,000 students and our admissions work pretty damn well. does the UK provide assistence to all college students? i mean, maybe that's their way of weeding out a percentage of student who would take money from the government and then not graduate. i dunno, that's just a guess.

Well, you get a 10grand student loan, which you have to pay back, and you also get a few other things.

Tuition fees are also heavily subsidised. It only costs about £2000 a year in England from what I remember and in Scotland it's free. Foreign students studying in the UK, by contrast, may have to pay over £10,000 a year from what I understand.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:

Well, no, they aren't really state run in the UK I don't think although they are state subsidised and I don't know if UCAS is controlled by the education board or whatever and according to Coldred you don't have to apply through UCAS. Although he also says you can apply to six universities through UCAS and I'm adamant that I only had three choices, so in conclusion I have no fucking clue what is going on and I am, quite frankly, amazed I even got into a university never mind completing the course. Maybe they only give you three choices in Scotland or something. There's whole different systems up here and down there.

But yes, I see your point, why not apply to as many universities you like? I'm certainly not against the idea.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    Well, it's good to see I'm not the only state-schooler around here.

go team venture, baby. some stuff you can do at a state college that you just won't be able to to experience at a private school.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • AmnioticAmniotic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    Yeah, I'm just scared shitless of debt. I graduated debt free. It's nice. I'd recommend it. I don't think my quality of education was really appreciably inferior to justify some of the prices people end up paying. I actually don't really think it was inferior at all.

Man, I wish. I went to Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo for my BS, and I'm at UCSD for my PhD. Public schools, but not exactly what you'd call inexpensive cities to live in. I cringe every time I see my accrued student debt.

Amniotic on
    EvE Online - Kellen Pikara
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JohnHam wrote:
    Podly wrote:
    Shinto wrote:

It's alright. It's so fucking easy, but I wonder if that's how all colleges are.

Nah, it just gives a great scholarship

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited January 2007
    Coldred wrote:
    And Yar, this is only through the UCAS system, which you don't actually have to go through, it just makes things a bit easier.
    Ok cool. I can't believe that you're allowed to make things easier for people like that.

Yar on
  • designMcGeedesignMcGee Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    for me:

School of Visual Arts (In NYC)..............accepted
    Sheridan College (Toronto, Canada)............never finished application because I was already accepted to my top choice.

I'm really excited about living in NYC. Right now I only live around 40 miles from the city, and I visit the city quite often for whatever, but it's still going to be completely new.
    Sent you a PM in regards to SoVA.

designMcGee on
    sig_uso.jpg
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zek wrote:
    I applied early decision(Stevens), got accepted, and went there. Piece of cake.

i really really almost went there but I changed my mind near the end as to what I wanted to do.

how do you like it? I kind of wish I hadn't veered away from science the way I did as the decision came closer.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Podly wrote:
    JohnHam wrote:
    Podly wrote:
    Shinto wrote:

Nah, it just gives a great scholarship

my friend got kicked out.

never went to class though so I'm not sure how pathetic it makes him.

edit - i mean academically. it's pretty sad no matter what the reason... getting kicked out.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • TSU0999TSU0999 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Applied to about 5 schools, and I had about 3 schools request that I come to their school. Got accepted to all the colleges I applied to save for 1 (damn you MIT).

Wound up at a small private Engineering school called Tri-State University in Angola, IN. Just recently graduated with my BS in Civil Engineering with a minor in Environmental Engineering. It's a great school, but lately the university president has been making some staff angry. Bascially spending money on stupid stuff...like a $75 million football dome. And they've also spent about $25 million on a student center, but they're putting a bunch of stuff that really isn't needed. Oh and did I mention he won't fork over money for them to get paid during the summer? Oh well, their Civil Engineering department still has about a 95% placement rate.

TSU0999 on
    ironmansig.png
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I applied to Cal State Fullerton, and that was it. It was that or Long Beach, but Fullerton is closer. I had the grades to get into any state school and quite a few private ones, but couldn't afford to move into a dorm or the tuitions for the UC system (much less the private schools). And then there was the whole debacle of moving to a different state in my senior year of high school, taking the SATs later than I should have, and not nearly enough planning. I never really had any doubt I'd be accepted to Fullerton.

Gim on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I went to a state university last year...only applied there...knew I was going to hate it, knew I was only going for a year before applying to art schools, hated it, left...

...now i've applied to Savannah College of Art and Design...hoping to go there this fall...was GOING to apply to Sheridan (in Toronto), but decided trying to find a US job with a Canadian degree wouldn't be all that easy, and having to deal with international applications just seemed like a complete pain.

I mean, going to an art college and getting into the industry is my dream, but it sometimes amazes me when I consider how apathetic I can be considering the whole "applying" process.

NightDragon on
    edited January 2007
    SCAD is a great school and Savannah is a great town. River Street woot.

Yar on
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gim wrote:
    I applied to Cal State Fullerton, and that was it. It was that or Long Beach, but Fullerton is closer. I had the grades to get into any state school and quite a few private ones, but couldn't afford to move into a dorm or the tuitions for the UC system (much less the private schools). And then there was the whole debacle of moving to a different state in my senior year of high school, taking the SATs later than I should have, and not nearly enough planning. I never really had any doubt I'd be accepted to Fullerton.

My roommate goes to Fullerton but crashes with us here in Riverside because he couldn't fine a place to live. Plus he's pretty much living free here.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    gundam470 wrote:
    Gim wrote:

My roommate goes to Fullerton but crashes with us here in Riverside because he couldn't fine a place to live. Plus he's pretty much living free here.
    That sounds like a fun commute. Parking passes are $144 this semester. Yeah, fuck that noise.

Gim on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:
    SCAD is a great school and Savannah is a great town. River Street woot.

Yeah, I've heard really good things about the school and the location. One of my good friends is going there now (he got a $15,000/yr art scholarship for a 2-minute 3D animation demo reel, freakin' amazing), and I get all the details from him. I'm really excited.

The only thing that worries me is what I've heard concerning how the area is at night. Kidnappings/rape/muggings...D:

I'm of the female gender, too, and not very big, so that kind of worries me. I live in a very crimeless suburban area right now (have gone biking and walking alone at all hours of the night for years and years)...but I lived in the city for a tiny bit in elementary school. I'm sure I could handle that type of environment again (I'm pretty careful, don't make dumb decisions), but I'm not entirely sure how Savannah chalks up in comparison to my old city. More dangerous? Less dangerous? Equally as dangerous? I don't know. I'll just have to be careful, I suppose.

NightDragon on
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Saburbia wrote:
    Meh you only really need 3 choices if your smart and choose universities you have a chance at getting in. It's usually the paranoid people who apply to like 10 universites over here.

The people who are applying to ten different universities are the people who are applying to the very top tier of schools, where no one (except for the really rich kids) can truly expect to be accepted. I'm sure that applying to three safety schools makes life a lot easier, but I wouldn't say someone was "paranoid" for applying to a large amount of schools (especially if the majority of those schools are places like Harvard, Stanford, MIT, etc).
    God wrote:
    Isn't a good thing that some people apply to 100 universities? It just means that some rich asshole is giving 100 application fees to 100 institutions of higher learning. Sounds pretty good to me.

Eh, the rich kids really only have to apply to one school. Colleges and universities like to accept people who they know will give them lots of money.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gnasty wrote:
    Eh, the rich kids really only have to apply to one school. Colleges and universities like to accept people who they know will give them lots of money.

Uh, no. If they are a legacy and their parents have donated lots of money to that school . . then yes. but otherwise, absolutely not.

geckahn on
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    geckahn wrote:
    Gnasty wrote:

Uh, no. If they are a legacy and their parents have donated lots of money to that school . . then yes. but otherwise, absolutely not.

I think in my post I wasn't completely clear. When I said that "colleges and universities like to accept people who they know will give them lots of money," I really should have said that they will accept someone if their parents give them lots of money.

Maybe we have different definitions of rich or something, but from experience I know that the kids with very rich parents who wanted them to get into certain schools got into them. A kid a year older than me was in the third decile yet got into Harvard. Similar thing happened last year. I know someone who literally bought her way into the University of Illinois Business School.

And yes, I'm sure that a legacy and previous donations factor in, but still, that kid is only applying to one school, and he only has to apply to one school because he's rich.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • WyveanWyvean Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I go to the University of Connecticut. It sucks a whole lot, and I really hate it here.

That's why I'm transferring to LIU. And I'm terrified for a number of reasons.

Wyvean on
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pretty sure I applied to Arcadia U in PA and NCSU in NC.. and eventually got Gonzaga trying to drag me to its college, alongside Washington U and Seattle U. PA was too close to relatives, NC never got back to me even though I was in state, and WU was too far east of Seattle, and SeattleU was a Catholic school if I recall right.

I've been at The Evergreen State College for the past 3 years though and it's pretty astoundingly different than what I've heard other colleges are like. Since there're only evaluations, no grades, and basically no tests for anyone not in mathematics. Makes it rather hard to get a degree since there aren't majors, but one gets a "general" BA or BS depending on the courses ya take. Seeing as I'll have a BA in Creative Writing when it's done, I don't think I'm missing much in the way of excess educational means that I'd get somewhere else.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • MasterDebaterMasterDebater Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I applied to a bunch of colleges in the University of California system, and then (sort of as an afterthought) Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Then I decided to slack off senior year of high school, and I didn't think my grades would hold up in the UCs, so I ended up at Cal Poly.

MasterDebater on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I go to Sarah Lawrence College.

It is a vast cornucopia of intellectualism, art, and affectation. How I love it so.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg