As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox Live Update Preview Signups (Beta is live)

• Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I spent two hours trying to find out how to change the dashboard colors, then I got a migraine and passed out. I then dreamed of zombies in New Austin and the coolest video game character of all time killing them with the self-righteous holy light of the Xbox 360 Dashboard Rifle.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    You've never been able to change or skin the popup guide since the NXE. Which is strange, since MS likes to make money off everything. Might be a memory issue for keeping the popup guide small for in-game usage.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not a fan of this update... its like getting hit with a flash bomb if you're playing in a dark room and you hit the guide button or have to select a storage device.

There should have been a single question questionaire before you had to download.

"Are you planning on buying Kinect?"

No

"Oh, never mind about this update then!"

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Not a fan of this update... its like getting hit with a flash bomb if you're playing in a dark room and you hit the guide button or have to select a storage device.

There should have been a single question questionaire before you had to download.

"Are you planning on buying Kinect?"

No

"Oh, never mind about this update then!"

Yeah. The little OCD part of me HAAAAAAAAATES that now in my options, there's a "Kinect Options" section, that I cant and will never use.

And that every single friend on my friends list now has "Kinect Chat" as one of my choices when I click on them, and the odds of me and any other person on my list having Kinect at the same time are near impossible.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    'Kinect Chat' actually works with the Vision cam, fyi

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

So all 3 people who own one can use it

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Well yeah, but it's pretty much the Video chat option renamed.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What are people's opinions on the improved voice chat? I was in a few games with friends now and I noticed a decent difference in clarity.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is it wrong for me to want to watch that introduction video with Bridget O'Neil over and over again just because she's so darn cute?

Anyway, the new interface is cleaner, yes, but also . . . I dunno, more sterile? And the fact that I still can't fully see the background theme is still very annoying. I had the same trouble with my Avatar items and rewards that everybody else seems to be having, but it's no big deal to me since I rarely deal with that stuff. The Kinect options have all been disabled, hopefully avoiding any further pestering about the peripheral, and ESPN will never be bothered with.

So yeah, that's the new dashboard update for me in a nutshell.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Allforce wrote: »
    Caswynben wrote: »
    So, I have Time Warner Cable, which JUST started supporting ESPN 360. I have to sign into my TWC account to get it to work on my PC, but the 360 gives me no such option and just says my ISP doesn't support it. Anybody have any luck?

Only TWC in certain geographic areas supports this ESPN3.com. So I pay these guys 120 some bucks a month and it doesn't work here in Columbus Ohio. I heard the same thing goes for NYC. I have no clue why this is a site that is so hotly contested that certain ISPs refuse to let you have access to it, are they worried that I will watch less Sportscenter now than I did before on their cable channel?

I'm really about to just switch to Dish or DirecTV over this just on general principle.

Get out of my city bro. On the other hand it worked for me.

Yeah, I live in Columbus (and am a TWC sub) as well and it's no go.

God I wish this wasn't an AT&T town so I could just get FIOS already :(

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I wish my ISP had ESPN3. There's just no value in it for me if I can't watch live sporting events. ESPN's non-game programming and highlights are wretched.

Meh. It's not that great anyway. I guess it depends what sports you're into, though.

I can't believe you have to have a cable provider with ESPN3, I know a lot of people won't be able to use it. Seems silly to me.

It works for me, and I think it's glorious. So so many events to watch. I'm excited to see how it works this next Sat for college football. It'll be nice to catch some full games that aren't regional, and watch highlights anytime on my xbox, not just waiting until Gameday Final.

Plus, PPV boxing matches, granted a week later, but I used to have to wait a week anyway when I had HBO, now I also get matches shown on Showtime and other premium channels I don't get.

I wish they had more racing, but ESPN has never had a lot, Speed's always had the rights to ALMS, SBK, and MotoGP.

This is awesome for me since I don't have cable tv in the second bedroom. I watch netflix and now adding tons of sports when the wife is taking up the big tv with her damn Jersey Shore. :P

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    lol dicks
    2u7bpk4.jpg

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I own one!

(Ok, I've never actually used it.)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bah, I don't like this one at all.

On the plus side, my dashboard now repels gremlins.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maf wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy about this update so far. I'm especially looking forward the ESPN channel which I didn't think I would get any use out of. They've got NHL, KHL, and Aussie Rules Football. I hope it is going to be as cool as I imagine it can be. This and Netflix has made me swear off cable forever and ever.
    In case anyone's still wondering why the ESPN3 app is only available to cable internet subscribers? This is why.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Whoa now

I was fine with this update last night

But then I just turned on my 360 and saw the new startup screen

Fuck that noise

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Maf wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy about this update so far. I'm especially looking forward the ESPN channel which I didn't think I would get any use out of. They've got NHL, KHL, and Aussie Rules Football. I hope it is going to be as cool as I imagine it can be. This and Netflix has made me swear off cable forever and ever.
    In case anyone's still wondering why the ESPN3 app is only available to cable internet subscribers? This is why.

Funny story

I have cable internet

I don't get ESPN support

In conclusion, this world sucks

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh hey, thanks for hiding the Indie Games store even better, Microsoft. God forbid anyone actually stumble across it and accidentally purchase one of our games.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I own one!

(Ok, I've never actually used it.)

Well, there are 2 other people you can talk to.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The spinny loading thing doesn't loop, and it drives me insane.

Fats on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    WOW, apparently it is impossible to link two Microsoft Live accounts, and instead they want me to pick which one I like better and kill the other one, losing either my entire playlist + play history or the games I've bought/ achievements I've earned.

I'm pretty sure that MS can lick me. The Zune linking was what might have kept me subscribing to Gold, but I guess fucking not
    Honestly, this doesn't seem like Microsoft's problem. Every single Live site I've been to has, at some point or another, made it abundantly clear that Hotmail, MSN/Live Messenger, Zune, Xbox Live, and Passport accounts are all the same thing. Why did you create a separate account?

Anyway, I'm not sure why people are having trouble with the avatar rewards, mine updated without issue. Maybe I'm immune to software bugs as some kind of karmic balance for the fact my bedroom window attracts bugs like mad.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Whoa now

But then I just turned on my 360 and saw the new start-up screen

Fuck that noise.
    Microsoft's marketing team now sells rainbow-flavored toothpaste. As well as overpriced 'entertainment experiences'. :P

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    The spinny loading thing doesn't loop, and it drives me insane.

SPIN
    SPIN
    SPI--
    SPIN
    SPIN
    SPI--

Yeah, it bugs me, too. The whole Kinect aesthetic applied to the whole dashboard gets to me. Too... white and chipper, or something, like being trapped in an Apple Store. I know I can put my dashboard on, but the Guide Button menu is blinding, especially when playing in a dark room. Give me back my grey menus and my "Vwoom... Bwomp!"

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So the XBL update claimed that my Gold account is about to expire... except I reupped back in October when I found out Microsoft was jacking the price.

I've been trying to log on to my account, but the website is absolutely borked. Is there any way to check this via the Xbox?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So the XBL update claimed that my Gold account is about to expire... except I reupped back in October when I found out Microsoft was jacking the price.

I've been trying to log on to my account, but the website is absolutely borked. Is there any way to check this via the Xbox?
    It should by on the My Xbox tab, in Account Management.

Willeth on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Willeth wrote: »

It should by on the My Xbox tab, in Account Management.

Great thanks. I realize it's a pretty boneheaded question, I just tend to use my PC for this kind of thing. Not used to managing accounts, etc. on the actual console.

Welcome to the 21st Century, me.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    People actually liked the old start up screen? Both are so similiar to the point that complaining is just being silly.

Ranced on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've never seen the new startup animation because the 360 doesn't start sending a video signal soon enough for my monitor to sync in time.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Whoa now

But then I just turned on my 360 and saw the new start-up screen

Fuck that noise.
    Microsoft's marketing team now sells rainbow-flavored toothpaste. As well as overpriced 'entertainment experiences'. :P

I bet the old one was too "angry", and wanted something "family" to coincide with their Kinect release.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ranced wrote: »
    People actually liked the old start up screen? Both are so similiar to the point that complaining is just being silly.

I felt like the old one was faster. It's probably just in my head.

The mind boggling question for me is how people's eyes are apparently burning out of their sockets. Does everyone have their TVs set to "Dynamic" or something?

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I actually like the lighter menus

then again my TV isn't lost in the dark recesses of the earth like some of yours apparently are

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Man what

the new start up splash is really nice

y'all crazy

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ranced wrote: »

I felt like the old one was faster. It's probably just in my head.

The mind boggling question for me is how people's eyes are apparently burning out of their sockets. Does everyone have their TVs set to "Dynamic" or something?

The new boot screen is actually 4-5 seconds faster than the old one.

And you're talking to a demographic that likes to set all their desktops and forums to 'black' because they think a soft blue is too bright for their eyes.

PROTIP: Turn on the room light, guys. Your eyes will thank you years from now.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man what

the new start up splash is really nice

y'all crazy

I didn't say it's not nice

I'd be all for it on their next system

Don't fuck with your start-up screens, man. The 360 start-up was practically an institution at this point.

It'd be like seeing this awesome thing for years on end only to see they pointlessly changed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE_iCgBUacQ

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like how when you browse demos or games now,you can actually see the background wallpaper through the new layout.

Beforehand they had some really awesome backgrounds but you could never quite see them right cause of those fat gray windows in front of them.

New startup is ace too.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I wonder how much more energy is being used worldwide by the brighter dashboard compared to the older one.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really like the new UI, but don't care for the new boot-up animation. How is the new voice chat?

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Voice chat has improved notably when I tried it out, that's all I can really say.

Also, I believe navigating with the bumpers scrolls through less panels, although I may be imagining that.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, I believe navigating with the bumpers scrolls through less panels, although I may be imagining that.

You're not crazy. I think... now I'm doubting myself. It may just move slower.

I don't like the aesthetic look of the dashboard now, but I have to admit. Everything loads faster now. Game library used to take almost two minutes to load, pretty much instantanious now.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    scrolling through my friends list now gives me a headache. I liked it looking like I was looking down a street. Now everything just jumps out at me and pops back.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow