Options

Don't you dare clean that [Workstation]

• Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rohan: You don't want to mount your center speaker on the top of your monitor? I have the same speakers and it works pretty well.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I used to, but at night I now use my pc to run Media Center, connected to the media pc in the living room. Secure as the centre speaker may be on the monitor when not moving, it's not at all when it is. I turn the monitor towards me when I go to bed, so that I can watch a film or some internet tv over Tunerfree MCE.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What happened to the C128?
    If the answer isn't "I sold it to pay for the Amiga that's coming in the mail this week" or "haven't unpacked it yet" then i mad

Falken on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The C128 is currently sitting atop it's monitor on the floor. I do have a place for it, but unfortunately it appears to be breaking down, sometimes not producing any picture and being very erratic when it does. I'm out of a job atm, but hope to be working soon and will get an A1200 as soon as I can, as well as a replacement for the C128 (maybe just a C64C). I'll post back when I do.

Edit - Scrub the hope to get a job, just got confirmation that I have it. So I will be getting an A1200 soonish :)

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Excellent. I just traded my A1200 actually, some guy was selling a 600 with a whole bunch of add-ons for way less than it was worth. So I sold my setup piece by piece, bought that guys, and ended up with a shit ton of extra cash. Hopefully the smaller size means I don't have trouble setting it up on a desk anymore. It's arriving tomorrow so there'll be a new photo for the thread.

Have you popped open the 128 and gave all the chips a good push down? Just thinking since you've moved it might have knocked one or two a little out of their sockets. Happens all the time.

Oh and as always, feel free to get your PM on if you need help when you get the 1200. I don't post much but I lurk every day.

Falken on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Nah, it started acting up well before we moved. It will give a picture every now and then, so you'd think that there's a problem with the VIC, but when it does give me a screen it'll either fuck up keyboard input or return nonsensical data. I had a C128 years ago that actually told me it's 6581 chip was screwing up, but this is completely different. Something somewhere is buggering everything up, but I don't have the time or patience to track it down and find a replacement part. I think I'll just get a cheaper C64 replacement - I'm stuck between choosing a C64C or a C64G - smaller footprint for the former, but the choice of a 6581 or the 8580 balances it in the latter's court.

Will pm you as soon as soon as I think about getting a 1200, cheers Falken :)

Rohan on

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The home workstation:

IMG_0207.jpg

And the bookshelf next to it:

IMG_0083.jpg

Fairly utilitarian (especially the bookshelf) but you can't complain with office building closeout's selling bookshelves for 5 bucks to anyone who wants one.

EDIT: And since view's are fair game, here's mine. Notice the missing ocean and yacht.

IMG_0208.jpg

Raynaga on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is that Guinness a permanent fixture?

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Near enough.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Raynaga wrote:
    The home workstation:
    IMG_0207.jpg

And the bookshelf next to it:

IMG_0083.jpg

Fairly utilitarian (especially the bookshelf) but you can't complain with office building closeout's selling bookshelves for 5 bucks to anyone who wants one.

EDIT: And since view's are fair game, here's mine. Notice the missing ocean and yacht.

IMG_0208.jpg

Looks like we have the same computer.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Here's my current setup (without the clutter being cleaned up):
    workstation.jpg

But I feel like it doesn't suit my needs anymore. I like that desk, but the keyboard and monitor both sit up too high and with my natural clutter there is never enough free space.

So I'm thinking about putting together something new next year (when it comes time to build a new desktop as well). The monitor and keyboard sit too high, not suited for dual monitors, and not enough empty space to do other things. But finding something that does what I want is pretty tough, too: corner desk, modular (since I'll probably move it... several times), shelf space, space for PCs, some clean desk areas for other work.

Finally found something I think I can make work. This corner desk from IKEA, expanding it with two of the other desks from that line. But I need to actually look at them first, and make sure that they will actually fit well together - they should, since it is the same line. And probably replace my makeshift TV stand as well.

• Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    A few changes. In an attempt to de-clutter, I moved my desktop into a different room, along with the receiver and speakers hooked up to it. This has become my "general computing and recording" setup, while my gaming desktop (on which I rarely game, but usually just watch TV shows) is in a more couch-ish setting.
    6097213389_12017137d7_b.jpg
    Studio by eibbor7, on Flickr

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Took some photos today. First, here's my actual workstation.

workstationalt.jpg

I do all my real work on my MacBook Pro on the arm of my couch. Yep.

Next up is my gaming station. Much more professional looking, but it's only there for games. Yep. Nothing but games allowed here:

workstation1.jpg
    workstation2.jpg
    workstation3.jpg

And a few gratuitous shots of the machine itself:

gamingrig1.jpg
    gamingrig2.jpg
    gamingrig3.jpg

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    Cool space. Those little shelves look like a good compromise between displaying chachkies and keeping clutter down.

Does that dyson fan live up to the hype?

Also, how's that cord wrangler under the desk treating you? It looks like it works to nice effect, but I've heard some talltales of overheating issues with that sort of thing?

mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    oh man have I got the battlestation for you guys. Pics later because my firewall doesn't let me upload to places like photobucket :(
    a teaser: I'll show you what a lazy guy (who hardly ever cleans and/or tidies) is capable of in 5 years of living in the same place.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Mr Heist wrote:
    Cool space. Those little shelves look like a good compromise between displaying chachkies and keeping clutter down.

Does that dyson fan live up to the hype?

Also, how's that cord wrangler under the desk treating you? It looks like it works to nice effect, but I've heard some talltales of overheating issues with that sort of thing?

Thanks! The shelves are from IKEA. They're ledges meant for holding big picture frames or paintings, but they work nicely for knick-knacks and stuff that would otherwise clutter up my desk.

Yes, I love the Dyson fan. I did get mine on clearance at Target for under $100, but it's easily worth it. It makes for a nice, gentle steady breeze, and a nice white-noise kinda sound. Great for falling asleep to, or helping to drown out outside noise while I'm gaming with headphones.

The BlueLounge cable box is also great. No overheating here, but the only power bricks plugged inside it are a tiny one for a USB hub and another relatively small one for the monitor. I wouldn't go stuffing an Xbox 360 brick into one, but for regular plus and small bricks it does a great job. Makes a nice footrest, too. What you can't see is that I have white tubing stuck to the back edge of the desk, against the wall, and running down the two rear legs. All the cables run through those and down either leg tube into the computer of the cable box. I'm pretty proud of my lack of cable clutter.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Minor Incident, please tell me where you got that desk. That is the sweetest minimalist desk ever.

• Options
    Thanks! I got mine from West Elm. It's the Parsons Desk. If the West Elm one is hard to find/too pricy, just google for Parsons Desks. Plenty of other stores offer desks in this style. IKEA even used to have a similar one. I went with West Elm's because I liked the glossy white finish.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I can see little slots on the front, are those drawers?

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    deleted for privacy after a while.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Thanks! I got mine from West Elm. It's the Parsons Desk. If the West Elm one is hard to find/too pricy, just google for Parsons Desks. Plenty of other stores offer desks in this style. IKEA even used to have a similar one. I went with West Elm's because I liked the glossy white finish.

I really like it and have never seen one before, to my chargrin. The lines for the drawer are super elegant. How did you pick it? What else were you considering?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Big Isy wrote:
    I can see little slots on the front, are those drawers?

Yep, two very short (but deep - almost the full depth of the desk) drawers. No handles on them, which I love. They just have a lip on the underside that you pull out on. Enough height for 2 DVD cases to lay on top of each other. They work nicely for extra cables, notebooks, pens, batteries, a couple tools. Just nothing too bulky, which I like, because I have a habit of overstuffing drawers with random crap.

I will note that (as I recently learned) this desk is tricky to clamp a racing wheel onto, if that's a concern for anyone, but it can be done well enough by opening the drawers a few inches and clamping the racing wheel to the inside of the drawer cavities.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    kaliyama wrote:

I really like it and have never seen one before, to my chargrin. The lines for the drawer are super elegant. How did you pick it? What else were you considering?

I mainly wanted something that was very simple and clean. And either solid white or black. I initially wanted black, but when I saw how nice a glossy-finished all white desk looked (especially with mainly black computer peripherals on it), I went with the white. I wanted drawers, but didn't want them to be big and obvious (like file cabinet style drawers), so this worked perfectly. My wife and I had just bought a bed from West Elm and had some cash back rewards that covered half the cost of this, so I went for it. Very, very happy with it. Solid wood, very sturdy. Gets plenty of compliments =] My wife actually ended up going back and getting the matching version in a half-size (with one drawer instead of two) to use as a makeup vanity, a few feet over from my desk. They look really nice together. And yeah, I could probably spend way too much money in West Elm. I am a sucker for industrial design. Especially furniture. Don't get me started on my mid-century TV credenza.

This is the one I own (they also have it in black and brown wood:

http://www.westelm.com/products/parsons-desk-with-drawers-f099/

And here are a couple similar ones for a lot less at Target and Sears (although I'm sure these won't be real solid wood and all, but they sure look the part nicely):

http://www.target.com/p/Parsons-Desk-White/-/A-13357971

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00874278000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00874278000P

These were a couple other considerations from IKEA:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50147354/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80213074/

The second one felt really cheap and small in person. The first one, though, is a really nice desk. I ended up liking the simpler, more traditional lines on the Parsons desk more, but the Besta Burs from IKEA is super slick, just a little more modern-ish. My only complaint is that it felt really shallow. A little tight to fit a monitor and keyboard on, but doable, depending on your setup.

Edit: And I'd be remiss if I didn't plug the greatest office chair ever:

With: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10028229&N=&Ntt=bungee
    Or without arms: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10022641&N=&Ntt=bungee

Soooo comfy, and great for foiling cats or dogs that like to take over your chair! They won't know what hit 'em!

minor incident on
  • Options
    Dude, you rock.

Seriously, I love these desks.

The 600T looks great with it and I wanted to get that case too.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I hate you americans and all your pretty, sturdy, affordable furniture.

<3<3<3

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I was gonna say we have so many forests to chop down for them but we probably import everything because we are total shits.

• Options
    My house is shitty and old.

bKLFI.jpg

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You must pay a ton in electric.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Why? The old ass pentium desktop maxes out at 100w, the amiga power supply maxes at 25w. The PC only has a 450w PSU and probably doesn't go anywhere near that because it's a glorified internet machine and little else.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I had assumed those CRTs draw a massive amount of power, mine used to.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    If they do I haven't noticed. Moot point though, gonna throw the silver one out when I get a new monitor.

• Options
    Floppy disks.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Falken wrote:

bKLFI.jpg

Did i just travel back to 1998?

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    punkpunk Professional Network Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    While we're on the subject of desks, I want thissssssssssssssss. I have several pieces of HEMNES furniture and it's all solid stuff. I really like it; the minimalism appeals to me especially.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I need.... a nice solid desk for my shit. I need to mount 3 monitors (2 on 1 arm, 1 on another), have it hold a laptop, and my touchpad. Its alot of weight and I dont want the desk to tip over(my cheapo desk feels like its teetering from the weight of the 2 24" monitors, and I want to add a 20").

I dont enjoy using a mouse pad, and would prefer to use the surface of the desk, but the current one I have rubbed apart pretty hard, and only this half broken mouse's laser can read on it accurately now.

For price range..... I cant say I have one (dont 'olol han solo carbonite desk' me) per se, as it will be semi permanent and an investment since I sit at it for my non sleeping home hours.

Heres an old picture of the current one:
    5791307616_27eb50c427_b.jpg

replace eee pc with an alienware laptop, and put a HPTouchpad next to the right monitor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    punk wrote:
    While we're on the subject of desks, I want thissssssssssssssss. I have several pieces of HEMNES furniture and it's all solid stuff. I really like it; the minimalism appeals to me especially.

I have several HEMNES dressers and side tables. Great stuff. One of the nicest (actual solid wood) lines IKEA makes. I'm sure the desk is great if it's anything like the quality of the dressers

Nerd fact: I actually built my dog a bed frame (for a crib mattress) to match the other HEMNES stuff in our bedroom. Even managed to stain it to match almost perfectly.

• Options
    Falken wrote:

bKLFI.jpg

Did i just travel back to 1998?

U jelly?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Photo%20Oct%2010%2C%204%2007%2014%20PM.jpeg

Still loving this desk... greatest piece of furniture I ever bought.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    I think we have the same chair and headphones (senn h558s?)

And yes, that's a badass desk.

• Options
    Are you standing on the wall?