As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is Notch's world - we just dig in it. A Minecraft thread.

RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazedby the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
edited October 2010 in Social Entropy++
logols.gif

This is a thread for the discussion of Minecraft, a game by Notch.
Here is the game website.

Well, what is it?
Currently Minecraft is a sandbox game with two major modes, creative and survival, with others coming (hopefully) soon. Creative and the barebones survival are free, but the barebones survival is being phased out and the new survival mode is being put in, which is only available to people who pay. The new survival mode adds tons of new features, such as infinite maps, ice levels, weapons, new enemies, new geographical features, new ore types, among other things.
You can buy the game here (hit PayPal button AFTER registering and signing in) for $13 or about 10 euros. The price will be raised once the game is in beta (AUGUST 30TH), and/or near release.

Woah what, this isn't even finished yet?
Currently, the game is unfinished, with Notch adding things every week, and currently every Friday brings a new secret update with more and more things to do included.

You can check out Notch's development blog here, but he also blogs about fan stuff and some other things too.

So, wait, what's there to do?
Why, I'm glad you asked. In Minecraft, you can do anything from create monster traps that farm their drops so you can create bows and TNT; build huge fortresses, bases, outposts, or anything of that manner you'd like; make a mine cart ride that you'll record and upload to somewhere; be a wanderer and run across the game world by day, and holding out in tiny towers you create at night; or, even, being a miner and digging deep into caves and following along those terrifying paths.

I just bought this game, how do I play?
I'd suggest just experimenting and playing around with object types, what they do, and what they craft into, but I'll give you some of those basic things in this next spoiler.
THE CONTROLS
WASD controls + Mouse.
I opens up your inventory
Hold left click to remove blocks or attack mobs
Right click places blocks or gets into boats/minecarts.
Space jumps or swims.
F5 goes into third person, if you like that kind of thing.

GETTING STARTED
The first thing you want to do is hit down a tree or two to get some wood, then you want to probably build a tool or two.
Hit I, move the tree blocks into a single space on the crafting area, and click on the planks however many times you need to get them, this is one of the first recipes you need to know, as wood is an essential resource.

Planks.png
An image of the recipe.

Next, put four planks in different boxes in your crafting area, this will create a single workbench.

WorkBench.png

The workbench is one of the needed blocks in the game to advance or do anything interesting, as it allows access to a 3x3 crafting area instead of a 2x2 crafting area (All recipes for the 2x2 crafting area will work for the 3x3). Convert the rest of your wood into planks, then put two planks like this in the crafting area:

Sticks.png

This will create 4 sticks, they can be used to create torches and tools, or even light a fire for your furnace. Go to your workbench, then make this:

WoodAxe.png
(The two sticks are there so that I don't have to move them over again to make the next item.)

Then create this item:

WoodPick.png

These two tools are the axe and pickaxe, axes are used for cutting down trees, and pickaxes are used to mine ores and rock. Watch out when using your tools, if you use it other than for its intended uses, it will deteriorate in quality and be broken much faster than normally. There are more tools than this, and you can use stone, iron, gold (watch out for the realism on this one!), or diamond in place of the wood. Some materials can only be mined by a higher category of tool, and the higher category of tool makes the item last longer and do its task faster. Cut down more trees, and plant a few so you can get more trees without searching far, then Strike the Earth! Make sure to make a way out, or not mine too far into darkness or caves, mobs spawn there. When your wood pick runs out, repeat the crafting recipe, but instead of wood, use stone. If you hit coal early on, make this in a 2x2 crafting area (if you do not hit coal, I suggest searching the countryside at day to find open coal veins, they are black streaks on the stone blocks).

Torches.png

This will create 4 torches, which give out light for night use, they last forever for now, but Notch may change them to make them run out. Night will most likely come soon at the time of reading this, so construct a small structure around yourself, make no holes in the top and make no 1x2 holes in your walls, otherwise the mobs can get in. After this night, you can try digging farther into the earth, searching around for a more suitable base location, or even amassing resources for a grand castle you want to build. If you choose to dig, do not forget torches, and do not dig directly above/below you, it will kill you one time.

Check the second post for the rest, this OP is apparently too long.

If this tutorial didn't help you, go here for an alternative one made by Nailbunny.

If you ever wonder about something, check the Minecraft Wiki or, for newer stuff or for questions about constructions you want, don't be afraid to post in this thread!

Say, if you want to find your save games on XP look here C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\.minecraft\saves
on 7 look here C:\Users\[username]\appdata\roaming\.minecraft\saves
for macs if you're into that kind of thing user folder/library/application support/minecraft/saves
Turn on "View Hidden Folders" first!

I heard something about Survival Multiplayer...
Survival Multiplayer is out at a very basic form, get more info here. SOMETIME SOON things will happen Minecraft is going into beta.
No fancy pants creative here anymore.

If you're wondering why other people have fancy-pants skins for their players and you don't, either make your own, or get one from here, then upload it here.

There is a pretty cool Let's Play going on right now, check it out (you could also just go look down a bit).

VALVEjunkie wrote: View Post
in the map editing department you've got:
Omen
NBTedit(this one is useful for giving yourself 9999 health)
NBTforge(this is the painty one)
and MCedit(haven't tried this one yet)

and over in inventory theres
INVedit!

and in miscellaneous there is
Minecraft save manager!(bet you cant guess what that does)
a nifty custom texture manager
and a pretty cool all in one editor

and thats pretty much it!

AND WITH THAT I BID YOU ADIEU

Cartographer
Map Visualizer
Texture Packs or something, new tutorial here or something
If you need to think in 3d for skins, here ya go.

8406wWN.png
Rankenphile on

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE (this explains all the mobs, thanks to minecraft wiki for the images)
    Friendly Mobs
    Pig.jpg
    Pigs
    They drop meat when killed, you can cook the meat to make it restore even more like than the normal meat.

Sheep.png
    Sheep
    When attacked once, they will drop wool, you can endlessly farm this resource as long as you kill no sheep and they don't kill themselves.

BetterCow.png
    Cows
    By killing it, you receive 0-2 pieces of leather. If you use a bucket on them, you receive milk. The milk currently does nothing.

dc3ltf.png
    (Thanks to Raneados for the picture)
    Chickens
    Currently the most recent friendly mob. When killed, it drops feathers for arrows. If you follow it around, and not kill it, it drops what seems to be currently useless eggs. Seems to glide after being hit.

Hostile Mobs
    The terror from this game originates from these and dark tunnels. They (mostly) spawn only in the dark.

Skeleton.jpg
    Skeletons
    They fire arrows at your face, and drop arrows too. The only ranged mob, and annoying, either get the drop on him, or retaliate with arrows too. They will burn to death in the sunlight.

Zombie.jpg
    Zombies
    Melee only mobs, burn up in sunlight. Use a sword to dispatch of them quickly. They drop feathers, which can be used to make arrows.

Twocreepers.png
    Creepers
    These are the nightmare creatures. If they get too close, they will explode in your face, taking a chunk of the landscape and a good amount of your life with them. They do NOT burn in the sunlight, and they drop gunpowder upon their death.

Spider.png
    Spiders
    These guys can jump like hell, and they'll normally catch you if you run. They are the only enemy mob that is 2x1, which means they can crawl under things if there's a lower entrance with 2 blocks wide. They drop string upon their death, and that allows you to make bows. They are passive in daylight, but not in night (thanks people who pointed that one out), and they do NOT burn in sunlight.

Slime1.png
    Slime
    Slimes, the most recent hostile mob in the game, they can spawn in both light and dark areas. They come in four sizes, and if you attack any of the three largest sizes without a sword, they transform into four of the size below them. They do not do this when in lava, and small slimes can not swim, also they drop (currently useless) slime balls upon death.

Oh, here's some various picture tutorials. (HOOGE)
    Circuitry.png

Underwater.jpg

Obsidianbuilding.jpg

128038359846.png

Useful explanation of what each block is:
    Template1.png

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Nuka wrote:
    Making a FAQ now, it's a work in progress so I'll be adding questions in here as time goes on. I'm linking a lot of stuff to the Minepedia site which often goes down so if the url doesn't work then wait and try again later. Remember that a lot of your issues can be solved with "The game is still in Alpha".

If something isn't here, bother me via PM, check out their forums which are linked on minecraft.net or do a random Google search.

I know nothing!
    Punch trees.

You told me to punch a tree and I did and nothing happened!
    Punch harder. Alternatively, just hold the mouse button down until something happens.

How do I make stuff?
    Go here. http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

What is this weird cube thing?
    Check out the minepedia, this url specifically. http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Blocks

I don't have sound!
    Disable your internet connection. Start up the game and log in. Play in offline mode. When you get to the main screen, enable your internet connection again.

What's that SSSSS sound?
    You are fucked. That is a creeper and it will explode in your face in about 2 seconds unless you are fast and you back the fuck away. Spiders make kind of a slurping sound, skeletons are kinda quiet but you can hear their bones rattling. Zombies sound like what you would expect. Oh and skeletons ride on spiders sometimes!

I was in a cave and I found cobblestone and some of it was green and there were monsters everywhere!
    Congratulations you found a dungeon! Look for a burning cube, now surround it with 9 torches. You are now safe and you can steal everything from the chests. Keep in mind where this place is so you can come back and build a trap to steal their loot.

I keep dying!
    Build a hoe. Right-click the ground until you get seeds. Find some dirt near water, till that soil and plant the seed. Wait. FYI don't stand on the farmed soil for too long or the crop will die, also try to keep animals and monsters away from it as well. Build a fence around it, nothing can jump over it as it's not actually 1 square tall, it's 1 and 1/2 tall. Left-shift puts you into sneak mode and lets you walk on your farm without destroying anything. You can also kill a pig and eat the raw flesh, or cook it in your furnace for more HP.

What do I do with this egg?
    Nothing. The game is still in alpha so a lot of items have no purpose yet, such as Milk, Fishing Rods, Eggs and I can't think of anything else at the moment. You can't do much with cloth other than make it in to carpeting or something like that.

I'm playing multiplayer and something isn't working!
    Multiplayer is kind of behind single player. As of right now, buckets, stairs, doors, and snowballs don't work or function as they should. You can't expect red stone circuits to work either. Build a minecart track system and you deserve to be banned cause you just broke the server. Good job. Also do yourself a favor and don't stand on top of your fence. If you are lost or stuck, type in /home. The game will sometimes crash on you but you'll always end up back at your spawn point with everything you have so it's a minor inconvenience.

This game is ugly!
    Browse this forum. http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewforum.php?f=25 Inside are a whole bunch of texture packs you can install. Read the readme's before installing incase they want you to do something special, then it's just a matter of copying and pasting the contents into your minecraft.jar folder. For XP users it's in C:/Documents and Settings/Your Name/Application Data/.minecraft/bin.
    If you can't find it, it's cause it's in one of those hidden folder things so run a search or it. You'll wanna run the game at least once before doing anything.

I don't understand red stone circuits and minecarts!
    Neither do I! Sucks to be you!
    There's tons of tutorials on youtube however, so check there. I only just figured out how to make a double door switch myself.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited September 2010
  • EchildaEchilda Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I set up a multiplayer server with the dowload from the website. however, when I connect to the world all of the blocks respawn instantly after I break them and I get no resources. Anyone know what I did wrong?

Echilda on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Echilda wrote: »
    So, I set up a multiplayer server with the dowload from the website. however, when I connect to the world all of the blocks respawn instantly after I break them and I get no resources. Anyone know what I did wrong?

Spawn area is protected by default in multiplayer, otherwise you might need to give yourself admin in the server client.

Falx on
    edited September 2010
    Falx wrote: »
    Echilda wrote: »

Spawn area is protected by default in multiplayer, otherwise you might need to give yourself admin in the server client.

Ahh, that might be it. I was in the spwan area. I will boot it up again tonight and try again.

Echilda on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    in notch's world, he lights his cigars with COLD HARD CASH, BABY

In the last 24 hours, 50294 people registered, and 21639 people bought the game.

Raneados on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That automatic train is amazing.

Arrath on
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pathetic death story: I broke into my first large, dark, scary cavern. As I am creeping down into I am struck by an arrow. This startles me and causes me to jump. This causes me to hit q and throw my bow. I had escaped the skeleton but without the bow couldn't attack (and anyway I had only had enough string for a single bow) so I tried to run back down and get it. Dead.

I ran back down to recover my stuff. Got most of it, but no bow. I don't know what happened to it. How quickly do things degrade in single player? Still don't have enough string to make another. :(

First creeper: I had just discovered that streams have a current and can drag you along. This particular stream went right into a wall. I was still trying to figure out how to extricate myself from this little dead end and out of the water when I turned and looked behind me and saw a creeper get into the water and float towards me. D:

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That slide video is mind boggling. My mind, it is boggled.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What I just learned:

If you hold down shift to sneak, and peek out over a ledge, and then try to place a block of sand against the ledge you're peeking out over, you will then be standing on that piece of sand, and you will consequently plummet to your death.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    you don't ride the block to safety?

aw

still good to know

mine-test dummies

Raneados on
  • FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Framling wrote: »
    What I just learned:

If you hold down shift to sneak, and peek out over a ledge, and then try to place a block of sand against the ledge you're peeking out over, you will then be standing on that piece of sand, and you will consequently plummet to your death.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Favlaud on
  • FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For nuka's FAQ:

If you're lacking sound, hold down F3 and press the 's' key. Someone posted it in the last thread, and it worked for me.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
    edited September 2010
    that is the weirdest thing

Raneados on
  • Lord HomsarLord Homsar Lord of Hammers Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, a friend of mine bought me this as an early birthday present. After reading the SE++ threads and getting psyched up, I decided I was gonna make a hollow tree-fort near my spawn point. Everything was going just peachy, and before night 2 i had a 10-15 block high hollowed out tree made of logs. Night three rolls around, and i am sealed in my tree, digging up a vein of iron and coal, when suddenly I hear sssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss... I rushed up my ladder, looked out the window and my tree was surrounded by three or four Creepers and a lone spider. I am sitting there thinking i am gonna be ok, when ANOTHER creeper comes up behind me out of nowhere. So, ssssssssss boom! I am barely scratched, but my wall was not so lucky, and the other Creepers swarmed in, and demolished almost my entire treehouse. I freakin' LOVE this game, despite losing an hour and a half of work.

Lord Homsar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    good thread title, by the way

Raneados on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I get partial sound, foot steps on some materials, and when I hit some things. No animal/mob sounds though.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • TiBTiB Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I feel if there is any acceptable cosplay that a creeeper would be one of them.

Sneaking up on people and hissing. If you get the right person I bet you can get quite a response.

TiB on
    SatW.jpg
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    amazing op (gj rank) but it misses this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwr79lPRrFI

Beasteh on
    edited September 2010
    However if you sneak up on the wrong person, you will get a very similar responce. Followed by a police response.

Echilda on
    edited September 2010
    There are no places to put handcuffs on a creeper

TiB on
    SatW.jpg
    edited September 2010
    yeah i can imagine rocking up behind someone and loudly going HSSSSSSSSSSSSS

is going to be absolutely hilarious

Beasteh on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    good thread title, by the way

VALVEjunkie on
    edited September 2010
    Ya know what, beasteh? I refuse to believe I'm the only one with a newfound and green pixel induced anxiety problem from this game.

So there

TiB on
    SatW.jpg
    edited September 2010
    TiB wrote: »
    Ya know what, beasteh? I refuse to believe I'm the only one with a newfound and green pixel induced anxiety problem from this game.

So there

xESqi.gif

Beasteh on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i am going to build a fenced cage 2 walls thick

and lure a creeper in

it will be wonderful

Squall on
    edited September 2010
    it will find a way to escape

and crawl inside your head and go hssssss but never explode

Beasteh on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    do monsters despawn

this is important

Squall on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I didn't know I could spam right-click over the crafting output box to quickly pull items from it. That's going to make mass crafting a lot easier.

jackal on
  • Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Squall wrote: »
    do monsters despawn

this is important

Yes, thats why you can't keep pigs and sheep and shit in a pen.

Ginger Mijango on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    my sound still doesnt work D:

M.D. on
    edited September 2010
    So does anyone here remember seeing a downloadable world for minecraft done by some goons over at SA, it's a bunch of floating islands that you basically adventure in.

Can't find the damn url anywhere.

Falx on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So how does the buying process work. I sent the payment though paypal. Does it just end up linking my account to the payment by email address?

jackal on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If I didn't live with my girlfriend and a sense of responsibility I could easily see myself calling out of work to work on my Minecrafting. It's a very good thing I'm not in school anymore.

TankHammer on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So does anyone here remember seeing a downloadable world for minecraft done by some goons over at SA, it's a bunch of floating islands that you basically adventure in.

Go and ask them. It's somewhere in this thread.

jackal wrote: »
    So how does the buying process work. I sent the payment though paypal. Does it just end up linking my account to the payment by email address?

You did set up an account before paying, right? If so then download Minecraft.exe, run it and log in using your account info.

TankHammer on
    edited September 2010

Found it anyway, it called Skylands.

Falx on
  • maguffinmaguffin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    is the underdark server down or is my connection pooping out?

maguffin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.