As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

32 bars of any song?

AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
A friend of mine has asked me to try out for a musical. I've never sung before, but this friend is persistent and I have little to do. In four hours, I'll need to perform 32 bars of any song. I'm confused.

A bar is one of those things of four notes if the music is 4/4? So 32 bars of a song would be a lot of the song?

Or is it possible they were referring to thirty-two-bar form, in which case I can't just sing a part of Dr. Horrible?

Antithesis on

• Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It might be a little late, but 32 bars is 32 measures.

It is hard to pick a song without knowing your range, if you need help picking a song I would just youtube the names of a few musicals and find a song you'd like to sing. I remember singing a song from The Fantastiks, and another song called "The Street Where You Live", but thats all I remember.

Good luck? The best advice is just not to be nervous. If you are nervous, it will be REALLY obvious, and nothing is worse than watching someone be nervous on stage. Just go for it, if you do a bad job literally no one will care.

Also, if you are really worried, you can record yourself singing and see what doesn't sound good. This really helped me out when I was auditioning.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Screw the rules and sing the lumberjack song.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why not call your friend and ask him?

Esh on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I was going to write a post about how many popular songs use a basic 8-bar phase structure, so the OP would have an idea of what 32 bars entails--and coincidentally the Lumberjack Song is the perfect example of this.

The "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm ok...He's a lumberjack and he's ok..." is 8 bars (two 4-bar phrases). Then each verse is 8 bars, and the lumberjack chorus repeating the verse is 8 bars.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Why not call your friend and ask him?

He actually has lectures during the day =\

**I could sleep all night and work all day. To youtube, I guess?

Antithesis on
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just sing until they yell "Thank you."

CowShark on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    well, if you want a suggestion.....

32 bars would be until :45 seconds in.

or your original question:

32 bars is about 50 seconds in but it would end 4 bars into the second verse so you might want to just extend it to 36 or 40 and hope they don't notice?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I say you do Bohemian Rhapsody. All of it.

meeker on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For musical auditions, if you can, (it'll be easier in a song from an actual musical) you also want to show you can act. Standing still and singing well may get you a part, but if anything you're more likely to be stuck in a minor or chorus role. Unless after all the auditions are done they're in need of someone with your voice range for a major role. So make sure to be expressive. A lot of directors (unless it's for a big time production) prefer a good actor who can sort of sing, to a good singer who can't really act.

edit: I know that's kind of tangential to the question you actually asked, but others have answered that.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010

This... is actually a really good suggestion, if the song doesn't have to be from a certain show. If you can really belt this out and maybe act it out a little, it may set you apart. That's a good thing.

edit: IF you can pull it off.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ceres wrote: »

This... is actually a really good suggestion, if the song doesn't have to be from a certain show. If you can really belt this out and maybe act it out a little, it may set you apart. That's a good thing.

edit: IF you can pull it off.

I can totally pull that off. Also, anyone have recommendations in ten seconds for scenes from movies that I can briefly act out? Apparently that's also a thing.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd go for something memorable that's comedic and edgy.

I've always been partial to this line which you could do in a ten second burst.

Alternatively, if you really want to push the envelope, you could do Meg Ryans fake orgasm scene, damn near any scene from pulp fiction, or the new sheriff in town from blazing saddles.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    All right, this worked out.

First:

Strapped for time, did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLvIFRNbqOs

So:

4:31

Antithesis on
  • Options