As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

chat explained

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    The powers that be have signed off on me telling someone seeking to be a customer what I really think of their idea. I eagerly look forward to the stunned silence when I inform them that what they want to do is fucking retarded.

You sound like you have the greatest job ever when you get such permissions.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, and since someone mentioned that you can't actually trade tech in Civ V...

What exactly does the... hell I forgot. You have a pact for X amount of turns and have to spend over 300 gold before those turns end.

Is that how you generate new tech quicker?

Sheep on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man I don't get it.

Gonzo makes it with a fucking chicken, and Katy Perry worries people?

PUH-LEEEZE.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

We've got one here. It's overrated. I mean it's good and all, but it's still a big chain.

I'd be up for a fancy black tie dinner next year though. That would be cool, then we could just walk around downtown all dressed up really nice and see if we get robbed outside little darlings.

Could always go to Ivars down on the water, you guys like seafood, and I'm sure they serve steak or something.

1985-runningClams.jpg

Shoes and strings and ceiling wax, cabbages and kings.

Galahad on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Will...

Have you seen Serious Man? I wonder if the Cohen brothers have read Pnin.

i've not

i wanted to, but frankie doesn't really like the coen brothers and doesn't like dramas or movies with frustration as a central theme.

i don't really know how she feels about jews. probably is not particularly patient with centrally jewish themes anyways

so that's my excuse for not seeing it. i'll probably download it to itunes and watch it sometime when she's asleep.

does it have some pnin parallels?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    at least that comic has a punchline, will 8-)

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kate Perry has a nice pair of mammary glands. What are we actually arguing this?

Also Civ 5 is the first Civ that has eaten enough time for me to win.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

It isn't as central to PSN IDs as it is to gamertags.

Only because they lifted the idea from MS a year after release and after seeing the fanbase reaction to gamerscores.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I never liked Civ4's treatment of religion. I vastly prefer the social policy system of Civ5 (which is a lot like Alpha Centauri).

Transports have always been annoying in every 4X game ever.

I like espionage in MOO2 and GalCiv, but having little spies running around on the map like military units was always kind of dumb.

the elimination of tech trading was a bold move

really, a whole lot about civ V is turning out to be a bold move

i am really admiring what they did, especially after their philosophy on civ IV

This is interesting. Is Civ V kind of busting loose of some of the hoarier old elements? I hadn't really been following it.

Kinda. It got rid of some of the stuff people hated. Transports and stacks. But somethings like Civics and Diplomacy have gotten even more complicated much to their benefit. It still can be a very neckbeardy game, they just decided to make it more accessible.

That's cool, civics and diplomacy are two things I actually liked.

Civics are now mini trees. Culture lets you unlock them. So you can get a lot of little bonuses or really focus in one area. And the addition of City States just adds a whole new dynamic to the diplomacy. Now we can have proxy wars like they did in the Cold War.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Achewood's consistently terrible, at least.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    katy perry has a very sexy chest but the sesame street dress doesn't flatter it

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Kate Perry has a nice pair of mammary glands. What are we actually arguing this?

Nah just that I guess sesame street pulled a video with her in it because she was dressed too sexy.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Katy Perry did a bit for Sesame Street with Elmo.

She wore something that showed her hipster boobs.

People do not think children should see her hipster boobs.

Kagera on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    katy perry's tts are too good for sesame street

Honestly thats total bullshit, and katy perry's tits are so fine they blow my mind.

The dress in question really didn't flatter them well at all.

She does that, its like she has to ugly herself up so Zooey Dachell doesn't feel bad.

I dunno, I like Zooey better. To me, Katy Perry looks like Mattel tried to create a Zooey lookalike in a Weird Science lab.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    achewood (of old, ~great outdoor fight) is probably top 3 webcomics of all time

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Will, A Serious Man is such a Jewish movie. Soooooo, Jewish.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Will...

i've not

i wanted to, but frankie doesn't really like the coen brothers and doesn't like dramas or movies with frustration as a central theme.

i don't really know how she feels about jews. probably is not particularly patient with centrally jewish themes anyways

so that's my excuse for not seeing it. i'll probably download it to itunes and watch it sometime when she's asleep.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall for the conversation where you ask her her opinion on the Jews

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Kagera wrote: »

Katy Perry is not a hipster man, not even close. She's a pop startlet.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Will...

i've not

I'd like to be a fly on the wall for the conversation where you ask her her opinion on the Jews

i, too, would be interested in this conversation

:P

Organichu on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Aahahahaha Will

ACK

i had garfield up there first but decided that cathy was kind of a better fit

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Forget it, chu

it's weeabootown

:^:

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, Black Widow is getting her own film?

ScarJo can pull off a lead action role! WHO THE HELL THOUGHT SHE COULD?

Kagera on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    How can boobs be characterised as 'hipster'?

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Will...

i've not

Pnin is a tragic character wrapped up in comic mishaps.

Serious Man is basically the same thing. It's not a story about Larry's frustration, but instead details the hilarious but also terrible things that befalls him.

Like Pnin, he's a tragic character who cannot escape his fate. Instead of focusing on the man and his attempts at changing the world around him, we laugh at how fucking ridiculous the hidden hand of the world is at making sure Larry never catches a break.

Sheep on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010

"This episode was brought to you by the number 38 and the letter D"

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

I dunno, I like Zooey better. To me, Katy Perry looks like Mattel tried to create a Zooey lookalike in a Weird Science lab.

I'm the opposite, Perry is a better singer, better looker, and I haven't seen her act, but if she can do more then just a doe eyed expression, better actress.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh, and since someone mentioned that you can't actually trade tech in Civ V...

What exactly does the... hell I forgot. You have a pact for X amount of turns and have to spend over 300 gold before those turns end.

Is that how you generate new tech quicker?

yeah

at the end of the treaty you get a free tech assuming you haven't cancelled it

(i think you cancel it by going to war or something)

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Bogart wrote: »

hipster is basically like the wild card in a game

it can mean any and every thing, these days

Organichu on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    When
    - Glorious graphical environments in DirectX and OpenGL.
    - Support for Windows and Linux platforms.

Are listed under the defining game features on the homepage of your MMO, you have delivered a shitty game.

Or you don't have a real marketing department yet.

But yeah, the first one is the safe bet.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The powers that be have signed off on me telling someone seeking to be a customer what I really think of their idea. I eagerly look forward to the stunned silence when I inform them that what they want to do is fucking retarded.

Sometimes I really love my job. Most of the time I like it. But these moments are special. Because I get to break a stupid idea and someone's dream at the same time. And it always kinda goes the same way. I say that we aren't interested in their business and that we wouldn't be a good fit. Which throws them off balance. No one expects to have their business declined. But then they go in a spiel about how we're a perfect fit. And then I break down their idea in detail. Ripping holes in it and giving them facts. And there is always a moment of stunned silence akin to telling a proud parent that their kid isn't evil because that would require some motivation and skill at something.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Some website called them hipster boobs and I like saying hipster boobs so hipster boobs they'll stay.

Kagera on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    are we still talking about lady pecs?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Didn't you get the memo: everything we hate is now called 'hipster'.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, Black Widow is getting her own film?

ScarJo can pull off a lead action role! WHO THE HELL THOUGHT SHE COULD?

Throwing shit at a wall really, I mean think of the ladies in hollywood, how many of them can headline their own non rom com movie?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Man seriously just gis the dress she wore was not that revealing at all. I think I say the part of the video. Its not like they were bouncing willy nilly tantalizing the youth with their bounciness.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i just really dislike katy perry

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    they were hot, even in the cold

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like the song she did with 3OH3, but that's about it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Sometimes I really love my job. Most of the time I like it. But these moments are special. Because I get to break a stupid idea and someone's dream at the same time. And it always kinda goes the same way. I say that we aren't interested in their business and that we wouldn't be a good fit. Which throws them off balance. No one expects to have their business declined. But then they go in a spiel about how we're a perfect fit. And then I break down their idea in detail. Ripping holes in it and giving them facts. And there is always a moment of stunned silence akin to telling a proud parent that their kid isn't evil because that would require some motivation and skill at something.

<3

It's always lovely when you get to tell somebody exactly what you think in a work environment.

So much hedging of words and biting of tongues, normally, that when the gloves are off...

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Bogart wrote: »

when both of them vociferously deny being hipsters. It's like that problem with the islanders who only tell lies.

edit: that said, katy perry is so not a hipster

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.