As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

chat explained

• Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In Seattle I don't think I was ever ID'd when ordering a beer during a meal, or at least most of the times I wasn't.

I'm not used to that.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

I am going to blow an entire weeks food budget on an overpriced meal.

And then end up hating the meal and blaming the entire purchase on the person who brought you there? That's a Will Saturday Night.

Sounds lovely. Also I am going to rag on anyone who dares order a pizza from Pizza Hut or Papa Johns or another pizza chain.

Restaurant pizza and fast food pizza are basically wildly different things these days.

I wouldn't really expect the one to resemble the other.

japan on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    pizza hut and papa johns are worth denigration, though 8-)

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    When I was in the US aged seventeen, a shop wouldn't let my father buy beer because they knew it was for me.

Also, apparently there is no discretion on the application of the minimum drinking age in restaurants.

Yeah one time I went into a liquor store with my father and brother, who is under 21. They were like "If he touches anything we aren't allowed to sell to you."

It was a little weird. Most places aren't quite that bad, but yeah overall they're super srs bsns about the drinking age here.
    I went to the grocery store with my wife, who I am married to, and along with our full compliment of groceries we bought a bottle of wine. As I was the one in the line and paying, I showed my ID (I am 30). Then the cashier asked for my wife's (She is 26). She responded "I'm his wife", but the cashier flat out refused to sell it to us unless my wife showed ID too.

Do you look really young or do they ID just about everyone?
    They have those stupid "if you're not using a cane and telling kids to get off your lawn we card you" signs up (actually I think it says if you look under 40 but whatever). But I've bought groceries with Nickie for 4 years now and it's the first time they demanded to see her ID along with mine, when I was paying.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah either of those two actions can cost the place its liquor license. We take the drinking age seriously over here, for the most part its enforced universally though.

That's what I said originally. Did you interpret my original post as being sarcastic?

When I was a wee lad, I knew every bar and liquor store in the area that didn't card. Hell I wasn't ever actually carded till I was 23 and that was for just being in a bar.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    pizza hut and papa johns are worth denigration, though 8-)

You're 15. You eat what your parents provide you.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It's hard for me to justify fast food with the lunch specials places have these days.

I can get a salad and half sandwich and a mound of fries from an actual restaurant for around the same price I can get a combo from Carls Jr.

Fast food has become solely a matter of convenience or "I am drunk and it is midnight" type thing for me.

Dolla menu, yo

Heh, what do you think I order off of when I am drunk? Drunk runs to Carls Jr is "Okay, everyone empty their pockets, for every dollar we've got were getting a bacon ranch burger."

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In Seattle I don't think I was ever ID'd when ordering a beer during a meal, or at least most of the times I wasn't.

I'm not used to that.

I think it was the company you were in for the most part. I mean you may have had them questioning things, but with me and Chuck there? Yeah they knew you were old enough.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, as far as I know, being married precludes the "you can't buy alcohol for them" law.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dominos is utterly terrible. Pizza hut is meh. Papa Johns is alright, actually, and they've never started an argument over a request to make a pizza without the tomato sauce, whereas both of the others have.

japan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The best are local pizza places that deliver restaurant style pizza.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What is "restaurant style pizza"?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dominos recently redid how they make their pizza. It's super greasy now but its tastier.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'm not used to that.

I think it was the company you were in for the most part. I mean you may have had them questioning things, but with me and Chuck there? Yeah they knew you were old enough.

Yeah I figured that was part of it as well.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I want to try dominoes since they supposedly fixed the suck, I like to give people a second chance to make things right. Well aside from adam sandler, he's still being drug behind my car for 50 first dates.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Dominos is utterly terrible. Pizza hut is meh. Papa Johns is alright, actually, and they've never started an argument over a request to make a pizza without the tomato sauce, whereas both of the others have.

wow

is white pizza uncommon over there, or something

Organichu on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh oh! I need to pick up beer before Halo tonight!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's hard for me to justify fast food with the lunch specials places have these days.

I can get a salad and half sandwich and a mound of fries from an actual restaurant for around the same price I can get a combo from Carls Jr.

Fast food has become solely a matter of convenience or "I am drunk and it is midnight" type thing for me.

Dolla menu, yo

Heh, what do you think I order off of when I am drunk? Drunk runs to Carls Jr is "Okay, everyone empty their pockets, for every dollar we've got were getting a bacon ranch burger."

what about tax?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I would figure like something you'd get a sit down restaurant? Less factory made feel.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Like a place where I could get a pizza with good cheeses, shrimp and white sauce instead of tomato sauce if I wanted.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

Dolla menu, yo

what about tax?

Don't tread on me!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The best are local pizza places that deliver restaurant style pizza.

Regrettably, I've never found one. If I did I'd use it constantly.

Pizza Express comes close, but there isn't one around here. There's one near my brother-in-law's place, but he lives in an affluent London suburb, so

japan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

Dolla menu, yo

what about tax?

We are drunk so we forget to factor it in. Then we scrounge for change.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    you can totes get white sauce from dominos

it's p good, considering

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yeah I figured that was part of it as well.

I normally don't get carded, but having a beard like I've worn since I was 20 had always helped like that.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    there's a takeout place near me that does really nice italian, although the pizza is often kind of greasy

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i'll give you guys some white sauce

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    there's a takeout place near me that does really nice italian, although the pizza is often kind of greasy

So are italians!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been really liking Garlic Jims for delivery pizza lately. Jet City is also good.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So say you're 19, and you knock over a bottle of wine in a store accidentally, could they make you pay for it?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The pizza place by where Rad and Quid used to live was exquisite. Pricey though!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

wow

Uncommon enough that I was unfamiliar with the term until you mentioned it and I looked it up.

From the Dominos argument, it turns out that they can't make them because their pizza bases come individually wrapped with the sauce already applied.

japan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So say you're 19, and you knock over a bottle of wine in a store accidentally, could they make you pay for it?

Yeah, because you broke a product?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010

It's not a product you can legally purchase though.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I don't think they usually make people pay for that kind of stuff. I knocked over some olive oil at Trader Joe's once, and they just told me to forget about it.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

wow

Uncommon enough that I was unfamiliar with the term until you mentioned it and I looked it up.

From the Dominos argument, it turns out that they can't make them because their pizza bases come individually wrapped with the sauce already applied.

wow

dominos in the uk is an entirely different kettle of fish from the us

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp460zM_PGA

I can't stop watching this commercial - someone please help me. It's so 90s and terrible.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yeah but your not buying it, you are paying them for destruction of property. Its like if you destroyed someones car, but you were 14, they could still make you pay for the car even though you could not legally own one.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I don't think they usually make people pay for that kind of stuff. I knocked over some olive oil at Trader Joe's once, and they just told me to forget about it.
    At Trader Joe's I figured they'd knock some over too just so you don't feel bad.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yeah but your not buying it, you are paying them for destruction of property. Its like if you destroyed someones car, but you were 14, they could still make you pay for the car even though you could not legally own one.
    You could own a car at 14, you just couldn't drive it.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.