As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone know if the browser game uses much bandwidth?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He is.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fallingman wrote: »
    Anyone know if the browser game uses much bandwidth?

It's Java so, maybe a couple of megabytes?

rayofash on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone happen to have that sound file package?

I've seemed to have lost the ability to hear anything but my foot steps.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    Howlin' Mad MurphyHowlin' Mad Murphy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been growing weary of my wooden domicile as of late, and have the strangest urge to strike deep into the earth and carve out caverns as large as football fields.

Has anyone re textured their moon to look like a creeper face? That would be pretty nifty.

Howlin' Mad Murphy on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sound files should be updating now, try redownloading.

Zek on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Steam add please - I'd like to witness the majesty of Rapture and Columbia in person.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198015312551

Mudzgut on
    steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dangit. I went to go fuel my forge with a bucket of lava, and right clicking it caused me to pour the lava on the forge and on top of myself, killing myself. My forge is right next to my steps down to my mine as well, so it poured alll the way down there making my mine unusable. After randomly digging around for awhile I got enough iron to make another bucket, and picked up the lava, except that the whole lava stream did not evaporate away. I dumped the lava into the little pond outside and got a bucket of water. I used this to flow down the stairs and hopefully get rid of the lava, which it did. The only problem is that it only got rid of the top layer, while also making stone walls out of it, and extinguishing the torches. So as I try to dig through it again lava is still under it and I burn to death. I ran out of time to play for the night so now I am left with a walled off entrance to my mine with a lava flow underneath, a totally unlight mine probably so when I do finally break all the way through again it will be full of monsters.

I was annoyed until I realized this is totally dwarf fortress right now :D

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For the Steam group, theres a bunch of OPs that can invite, cause I'm off Civing.

At least until friday.

EDIT: Wait, tomorrow's friday.

Well, uh YAY

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OK, I just picked up the game and am thinking of starting my own server. I was thinking of making a 1:1 scale model of the Enterprise-D for players to play in. I actually have done this in the past, I made a 1:1 scale model in sketchup. Sadly the model was lost but I still have the digitized floor plans.

I've done the math, it seems I'll have to scale up the ship just a smidge to keep the decks a uniform 4m right. (Truthfully, it's actuality a 1.22:1 scale model, but close enough.)

Sadly I'm seeing that the mapmakers are made for older versions of Minecraft. I need to create a volume of space that is 800x600x200 blocks to be able to put my ship inside. Can someone point me to the proper program so I can start importing my floorplans? NBT Forge and Omen seem to work on the wrong kind of maps.

Keep in mind I'll like this to be multilayer "creative" mode, though that should be obvious.

halkun on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I'm posting this in both threads, because it deserves to be posted:

There is a program that converts Dwarf Fortress maps to Minecraft maps.
    BF%20Preview.png

4c59b.png

flarechannel1.png

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    halkun wrote: »
    I need to create a volume of space that is 800x600x200 blocks to be able to put my ship inside..

Can't be done. The Z-Axis is 128 blocks, top to bottom. You will need to rethink your dimensions.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    holy fucking shit.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    okay i bought this

i don't know what i'm supposed to be doing in single-player; i've fucked around on build servers and that's fun but it feels like i'm missing an important part of dis here game

interrobang on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    okay i bought this

i don't know what i'm supposed to be doing in single-player; i've fucked around on build servers and that's fun but it feels like i'm missing an important part of dis here game

Punch a tree, build a pick and a shovel, and do whatever the fuck you want!

That's the beauty of this game. Use the wiki's crafting guide.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How organized are the building projects on the PA servers? I'd like to help grow Columbia, but I'm not really sure what the ground rules are. Could someone let me know what the dos and donts are?

kaorti on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The minepedia crafting guide is the only thing a new player really needs to get into the game. Until I saw it I was using logs to build everything :?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    3DKnight3DKnight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    3DKnight on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Went ahead and took the plunge on the alpha today. Not so much in the mood to play it right this moment, but a steam invite in the meantime would be grand.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sighttdw/

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    kaorti wrote: »
    How organized are the building projects on the PA servers? I'd like to help grow Columbia, but I'm not really sure what the ground rules are. Could someone let me know what the dos and donts are?

Check the second post of the thread, I've put a lot of relevant info there.

We have a style guide posted up ingame on signs thanks to Cilantr0. It should help.

Ein on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would like to see a game dev version that allows the server admin to create recipes for items. I'd love to create an intricate set of crafting professions that would promote trading of resources as players focus on one tyle of gathering.

It'd also be neat if he could double or unlock the height to even greater proportions.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mvrck on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    halkun wrote: »
    I need to create a volume of space that is 800x600x200 blocks to be able to put my ship inside..

Can't be done. The Z-Axis is 128 blocks, top to bottom. You will need to rethink your dimensions.

Creative can go bigger. From what I am seeing there seems to be a creative server mode (?) that uses a different map format. There are editors for that, but I can't seem to figure out how to get it in that mode...

halkun on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    wonder what this weeks secret friday will be... hopefully trapdoors and a use for eggs, milk, slime, and fishing poles.

hm. looks like there wont be one this week... again. D:

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God, reading the comments on his tumblr is painful. Everyone is so fucking greedy. Notch how dare you not work 24/7 and have a life along side development. I think mentioning that he was going to play civ 5 was a mistake. Don't give the trolls anything!

Lly on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll be hoping that this break means the next update will finally have biomes, he did say he thinks he could finally nail it if he had a whole week to work on it instead of just one day.

Falx on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Totally can't wait 'til we can mint coins. Then I can do something like...
    mc_billboard1.jpg

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Multi-player survival with server admin crafting recipes and an economy would be fun. :mrgreen:

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Of course, you'd need monsters that can do more than sit outside your walls fruitlessly for there to be any need for an economy.

Ffs Notch ignore all barriers and team up with ToadyOne

...does anybody remember where Toady lives again?

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What did Toady do?

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't play this game, tried it out and it's cool but not for me... but I want to say the work I see in the second post of this thread is awesome dudes. well done.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dwarf Fortress

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ah, I could never get into Dwarf Fortress.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    All I can say is we better fucking get working mobs in SMP next week.

It's the easiest way to make a ton of people happy, instead of dicking around with biomes and aesthetic crap like that.

*angryface*

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For anyone that is on the fence about this:

You will be absolutely taken aback by the resourcefulness of the Rapture/Columbia server. Tonight I watched as a ridiculously kick ass arch was constructed, and if the growth continues to be as well designed and regulated, when it goes into full swing this will be an insane place to play when the game comes out of Beta.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So as a noobie I usually have loads of stuff in my inventory and sometimes I'm not sure what it is or even how I got it. Is there anyway to point at an item and get a text saying wtf it is?

Lind on
  • Options
    LionEyezLionEyez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lind wrote: »
    So as a noobie I usually have loads of stuff in my inventory and sometimes I'm not sure what it is or even how I got it. Is there anyway to point at an item and get a text saying wtf it is?

Nope, not yet. It is planned for future updates though.

For now check the wiki and try to match up the pictures, I guess.

LionEyez on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah it's a problem at the moment. Took me ages to work out the differences between coal/gunpowder/flint/clay when i first started.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Ah, I could never get into Dwarf Fortress.

If we're talking about making underground lairs full of awesome stuff, you really want to at least have one eye on ToadyOne. :B

Jintor on
This discussion has been closed.