As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] Online CB has more teething problems than a sack full of puppies

1565758596062»

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rofl. You mind if I repost that over on the official forums?

Rius on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Go nuts.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Infidel wrote: »
    Well, it's expected from this team that we know to be amateur at best, but I found the reason for the sluggish performance and server meltdowns.

You make a change? Cool. The server updates the character and then sends the entire character data in bloated text form back to you. That is 73kb for my freshly created ranger already.

When I click the plus arrow next to Strength, it has to send and reload 73kb of data before I can click again.

What fucking horrible coding.

Is that why it pauses to update every fucking time I click something? God damnit

SJ on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, it's expected from this team that we know to be amateur at best, but I found the reason for the sluggish performance and server meltdowns.

You make a change? Cool. The server updates the character and then sends the entire character data in bloated text form back to you. That is 73kb for my freshly created ranger already.

When I click the plus arrow next to Strength, it has to send and reload 73kb of data before I can click again.

agree.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

wow... that is just

baby town frolics

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yes, the lag is because they don't keep your character state locally at all, they just send your clicks over and then reload the whole damn thing.

It works in theory but not in practice, since the bloat is crippling as evidenced.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    CounterspinCounterspin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is all very unfortunate, but no one could have predicted it.

Counterspin on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yes, the lag is because they don't keep your character state locally at all, they just send your clicks over and then reload the whole damn thing.

It works in theory but not in practice, since the bloat is crippling as evidenced.

Presumably the performance will improve markedly once the server load goes down.

I mean, if the sever load goes down. If lots of people spend enough time idly fiddling around with their character at work, it might stay bogged forever.

Hachface on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

ahaha I'm sure this is just growing pains and it will all be ironed out!

(not to mention Paolo promised us there would never be server issues, ever, just 2 weeks ago)

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

so, like

this was intended to be sarcasm right

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    With that kind of constant bandwidth requirement, good luck ever seeing a CB implementation for a mobile phone platform.

Hell, have fun using the Builder if you have capped internet! How many clicks to create a basic level 1 character?

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hachface wrote: »

Presumably the performance will improve markedly once the server load goes down.

I mean, if the sever load goes down. If lots of people spend enough time idly fiddling around with their character at work, it might stay bogged forever.

That's the thing, the performance isn't a load thing but horrible design. This will not go away even if the user count goes down.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    With that kind of constant bandwidth requirement, good luck ever seeing a CB implementation for a mobile phone platform.

Hell, have fun using the Builder if you have capped internet! How many clicks to create a basic level 1 character?

This is basically the worst case scenario for someone like Aegeri.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    We live in an age in which I can get hours and hours of streaming high-definition video on demand with no discernible lag.

How in the world is making a text-based D&D character such a clusterfuck.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Aegeri is exactly who I had in mind when I wrote that =(

He's already canceled his subscription; I'm glad I turned off my auto-renew, though I just renewed on 11/05.

Rius on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Take that, bandwidth-capped kiwis!

I feel like this should just be AJAX. Of course, AJAX is my favorite hammer, and everything looks like a Web 2.0 dynamic UI-shaped nail to me.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited November 2010

so, like

It's a joke about me predicting it loudly, in this thread over the last few days.

Counterspin on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Man, they don't even use compression.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I'm pretty sure we all saw this one coming.

Well, I was considering getting a month sub to check it out, but nevermind. Guess I'll just make my characters the old fashioned way.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

so, like

It's a joke about me predicting it loudly, in this thread over the last few days.

people have been predicting it loudly since the announcement :P

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I've long since stopped second-guessing other companies' reasons for the choices they make, but I have to ask anyway; how could anyone anywhere think that was a good idea?

Rius on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I fucking cursed us with that 90's comment, didn't I?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I fucking cursed us with that 90's comment, didn't I?

:lol:

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's easier to code, damn the consequences or practicalities.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh, wonderful. It doesn't display the math for my main and off-hand weapon. Just the main hand. Nevermind that, being a monk, I'll often use my "off-hand" Unarmed Monk Strike and just leave my weapon sheathed. It's like the new CB is punishing me for making a flavorful character.

Also it lists the movement and attack technique for all the monk attacks in their own little box. Which makes it a lot more difficult to keep track of which power you're using... or even find which power you want to use.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I would note that I also predicted that Wizards would automatically charge your credit card $5 whenever you put a non-common magic item on a character. I was feeling bad about that prediction, but today has taught me that the sky is the limit when it comes to searing incompetence! To infinity and beyond, with your Visa!

Counterspin on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I would note that I also predicted that Wizards would automatically charge your credit card $5 whenever you put a non-common magic item on a character. I was feeling bad about that prediction, but today has taught me that the sky is the limit when it comes to searing incompetence! To infinity and beyond, with your Visa!

Please don't give them ideas.

Hachface on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    templewulf wrote: »

I feel like this should just be AJAX. Of course, AJAX is my favorite hammer, and everything looks like a Web 2.0 dynamic UI-shaped nail to me.

I'm not even a web guy. It isn't my thing, but when Infidel said that I thought, "Couldn't they use like, AJAX or something? That's like, what it's for right?"

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    templewulf wrote: »

I'm not even a web guy. It isn't my thing, but when Infidel said that I thought, "Couldn't they use like, AJAX or something? That's like, what it's for right?"

Yes, that is what a competent solo web developer could have done over the few months, and it would have been truly cross-platform and much more responsive.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    But Hachface, it's the only way to maintain balance in LFR!

Counterspin on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Looks like they are repeating several mistakes that they already should have learned in the original CB.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Didn't they fire those guys? The original builders of the CB, I mean?

Counterspin on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hahahahaahahahhaahaha how did they fuck this one up?

There's no slot for Holy Symbols. They need to be wielded in hand.

That's embarrassing.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hahahahaahahahhaahaha how did they fuck this one up?

There's no slot for Holy Symbols. They need to be wielded in hand.

Yes, that is one of the many lessons not-learned.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How many people are actually still employed at WotC? At least the D&D department.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, that makes sense if half of the CB team was working on the online CB while the other was fixing the offline CB.

Counterspin on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have made a new thread, specifically focusing on the new CB (with a link to the old OP in this thread though, so none of the information is going anywhere) for the numerous pages of ranting/defending etc of the new CB.

I'll attempt to get various issues into the CB so people know what to expect, as the CB is one of the main reasons most people subscribe to DDI (or at least for me, as well as the MB. Who knows what they are doing with the MB).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.