As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 PAX Forum Challenge Coin - ORDERS CLOSED. That's it!

• papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    flatline wrote: »
    Two if by Lan three if by BEC
    . . .
    Wheaton's Law (Don't be a dick) is kind of an unofficial slogan/motto/rallying cry, and it represents one of the best keynotes (PAX or otherwise) that I have ever heard.
    . . .
    Someone who is more versed in Latin could come up with something along the lines of morituri te salutant (We who are about to die salute you) and make it something like "We who are about to game salute you". Not sure that Latin would have a verb for that but you could probably use "compete" or something similar.

In case there are still some people who don't know, "Numquam mentula es" is the closest Latin translation we could get to the spirit of the expression "Don't be a dick" in the vein it is meant to be expressed in. So "Wheaton's Law" is covered, and I'm not sure that we need more Latin on the coin, especially since the Latin is usually reserved for the motto.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    In case there are still some people who don't know, "Numquam mentula es" is the closest Latin translation we could get to the spirit of the expression "Don't be a dick" in the vein it is meant to be expressed in. So "Wheaton's Law" is covered, and I'm not sure that we need more Latin on the coin, especially since the Latin is usually reserved for the motto.

What exactly are you trying to say with this statement? I was assuming that we would be using a different motto for East than Prime (hence, I acknowledged that Don't Be A Dick is a good representation of the PAX mentality, but didn't suggest its use for the East coin). If that's the case, then yes Wheaton's Law is covered by the Prime coin, but there is no Latin on the East coin - unless you mean that you don't want any Latin at all on the East coin. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I rescind my previous statement It was made after I hadn't slept for a day and a half I think I was going for:

One if by LAN two if by BCEC

ZeroHourHero on
    edited October 2010
    What I mean is that we need to have something to tie the coins together. I propose we keep the Latin "NUMQUAM MENTULA ES". I can think of no better motto for the PAX community.

papaprinny on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm actually really fond of the entire markings around the DS - the Pac-Man is a very nice touch, as is Welcome Home.

Heleor on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    What I mean is that we need to have something to tie the coins together. I propose we keep the Latin "NUMQUAM MENTULA ES". I can think of no better motto for the PAX community.

I agree actually, I think the motto should be the thing that ties both coins together and the imagery be the thing that is different.

ZeroHourHero on
  • gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I definitely like the ideas floating here and think "Welcome Home" definitely needs to be showcased prominently.

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I personally like the whole hand with the DS and that entire side of the coin, I think any changes should only be on the back side of the coin. Wether its the Zakim bridge, the paul revere statue, the skyline over the charles, or even cheers, since people liked the where everybody knows your game.

I think keeping the one side the same keeps the coins connected pretty well.

MxWood on
    edited October 2010
    I guess I like the idea of a coin that is similar in spirit, but doesn't re-use the designs from the Prime coin. I'm a PAX East-er, and I am proud of that. Sure, the shows are related and a lot of people go to both - but they are separate shows with different color schemes and, if you ask me, different atmospheres.

For me, Wheaton's Law will be forever associated with Prime '07. Yeah, it has become a pretty universal theme for us, but when I think of that I always think of that keynote and the buzz it created at that show. If the group wants to make the Latin translation of it a unifying theme, I'm OK with that, but to me it will always be a Prime thing. I mentioned before that I'm not a big DS person, but if that is chosen again, I'll go along with that too.

(I won't go along with a gold/brass/bronze coin however - I just think the antique nickel looks miles and miles better)

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The truth is, East is only in its second year and I don't know if it has a phrase to call its own yet. As you said, flatline, Wheaton's law is a universal theme for the community, and I feel it should be used this time.

As it stands, if I were making this coin it would be:

Obverse: d20 (no hand holding it), top of the rim: NUMQUAM MENTULA ES, bottom of the rim: WELCOME HOME, left side of rim: d4, d10, d12, right side of rim: d6, d10, d8

Reverse: Paul Revere with the Old North Church in the background, rim: PAX EAST 2011 BOSTON, MA MARCH 10-13

Finish: Antique Nickel, Scalloped Edging

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
    edited October 2010
    I'd have the hand hold it like this:

http://owlbear.com/magical_d20/images/image008.jpg

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    BaconSandwich on
    edited October 2010
    I guess I like the DS better because I hardly ever table top anymore and last year at PAX east it was like pokemon heaven. Course maybe then it should be a pokewalker since that place was full of them.

Oh well. Either way i'll be happy, I dont really like the dice border though, but thats just me, can't please all the people all the time.

MxWood on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    For the Paul Revere image, wouldn't it be awesome if someone photoshopped in him holding a DS with his outstretched hand? I think it'd be appropriate for the coin. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited October 2010
    For the Paul Revere image, wouldn't it be awesome if someone photoshopped in him holding a DS with his outstretched hand? I think it'd be appropriate for the coin. =)

That's been discussed - adding a DS or Super Stars or something to the reverse - but the Prime coin didn't have any tomfoolery going on back there. No warp pipes added to the Seattle skyline, no ninjas repelling from the space needle.

I think the obverse is for the community stuff like dice, ds, etc. The reverse should just pay homage to our patron city Beantown.

BaconSandwich's design is close enough to the one that I proposed on the first page that it would get my vote. I wasn't completely sold on the idea of crossed cardboard tubes, although I am still a little partial to my Cheers slogan. I think the border would be fine without little diceys though - just the words.

flatline on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I agree that one side should just be whatever city iconography we choose while the geeky/gamey stuff is on the other side.

I like the idea of a d20, but I fear it may look to simplistic. Maybe a large d20 in the foreground with a couple other dice int he background?

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The truth is, East is only in its second year and I don't know if it has a phrase to call its own yet. As you said, flatline, Wheaton's law is a universal theme for the community, and I feel it should be used this time.

As it stands, if I were making this coin it would be:

Obverse: d20 (no hand holding it), top of the rim: NUMQUAM MENTULA ES, bottom of the rim: WELCOME HOME, left side of rim: d4, d10, d12, right side of rim: d6, d10, d8

Reverse: Paul Revere with the Old North Church in the background, rim: PAX EAST 2011 BOSTON, MA MARCH 10-13

Finish: Antique Nickel, Scalloped Edging

This is basically it in my opinion. Of course I'd change the dates to MARCH 11-13 though.

Rdr on
    edited October 2010
    Rdr wrote: »
    Of course I'd change the dates to MARCH 11-13 though.

Ha, my bad. I keep thinking that's when it starts since I'll be flying there on the 10th. Doh!

I think the border would be fine without little diceys though - just the words.

The only reason I'm thinking of the little diceys is because without them it leaves open space on the left and right, space that was used on the Prime coin for Pac-Man. I'm not against using Pac-man or something similar, I just figured if we were using a d20 then its lesser-known brothers should get some face time :)

BaconSandwich on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What's the story on this and why is it on the bottom of the second page?! This is too awesome to leave high and dry!!!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited November 2010
    What's the story on this and why is it on the bottom of the second page?! This is too awesome to leave high and dry!!!

I agree with this so here I go bumping this along.

MxWood on
    edited November 2010
    We are all caught up in real life right now, and PAX is relatively far off. This will be given a jolt again when we are ready to tackle it once more.

papaprinny on
    edited November 2010
    We should probably look at it soon - PAX East is only 4 months away now, and that will be by before we know it.

Last time this project got caught up in the last minute and it was only prinny's dedication that got some of us to get our coins in time for PAX.

Heleor on
  • Majikman13Majikman13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but what about putting Wheaton's law on it somewhere. Maybe in Latin?

Majikman13 on
    3ox279s0939n.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How long will it take to get the coins minted once they get set up with a mint?

Bucketman on
  • firemage1026firemage1026 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    damn these are alot of good ideas

firemage1026 on
    I am going to kill you... I mean hug you!
  • DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Majikman13 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but what about putting Wheaton's law on it somewhere. Maybe in Latin?

^ This. I like this a lot.

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    If this is going to happen, a design should be finalized very soon.

Might I recommend using a version of Yamara's PAX Community Logo?

She has stated that she is willing to optimize the logo for specific types of printing and I think this is the sort of thing that should go on the coin, personally.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    One thing to note about a challenge coin done in enamel, each color area must have a raised metal border, and the area must be large enough for the enamel to pool in. As such, you need to avoid really small spots of color and boundaries between two colors that don't have a line in between to represent bare metal.
    However, challenge coins can also be made with an offset printing method. I believe this is done by printing the image on a medium, laying that on the coin, then covering it with epoxy. There is also silk screening, but I have no idea how that works on a coin.

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
    edited December 2010
    Deefuzz wrote: »
    Majikman13 wrote: »

^ This. I like this a lot.

This was in fact on the Prime coin.

So far, and correct me if I'm wrong, the most popular suggestion involves a D20, possibly in a hand, on the front, and some sort of landmark on the back, with similar things on the outside as the Prime coin.

The rest is my opinions:
    - Yamara's design is good for shirts and printed items, but it has way too many different concepts to look good in the tiny area of the coin.
    - Not sure if color would work well on these coins.
    - I don't believe any landmarks should be modified - if we're representing Boston we shouldn't have Paul Revere wearing a master chief helmet, for example - it would no longer be as recognizable as a Boston thing.
    - If we want to do this, we should consider ordering them soon, and start collecting money now, so the company has enough time to actually ship them out to everyone this time.

Heleor on
    edited December 2010
    The coin version of the logo could be a modification of the center of the image where it says "PAX Community"

Could even toss a D20 instead of the star.

reference image
    draft3.png

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited December 2010
    Ah - I'm not a fan of having text be the centerpiece. Others may disagree, but I like the concept of an image with text around the side. It makes the coin more recognizable at a distance.

Heleor on
    edited December 2010
    Who is the point-man (or woman) for this effort? There are a myriad of suggestions scattered throughout this thread. I believe that, due to cost and difficulty of putting something like the community logo on the coin, we were going to keep it pretty simple - no color, same as the prime coin.

Here is my suggestion, for reference, but I'm pretty sure the group agreed to eliminate the crossed cardboard tubes and go with a hand holding a large D20, or something similar. And although "Where Everybody Knows Your Game" was popular at first, I think people swung back towards wanting Latin on the coin instead of a gimmick phrase. I stand by the 2" size, in Antique Nickel with Plain edges though!

flatline on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    The coin version of the logo could be a modification of the center of the image where it says "PAX Community"

Could even toss a D20 instead of the star.

reference image
    draft3.png

I think a slightly modified version of that would be perfect for this.

I'll contact Papaprinny to make sure he's still keeping an eye on this, I know he's probably not always watching the forums.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited December 2010
    I am indeed watching.
    However, the PAX East Community DVD currently has my full attention. Hopefully it will stop requiring my attention soon-ish.
    Take that as you will. :whistle:
    But after that, I'll come charging back in here and we'll get this sucker completed.

papaprinny on
    edited December 2010
    I believe that, due to cost and difficulty of putting something like the community logo on the coin, we were going to keep it pretty simple - no color, same as the prime coin.

Color does not necessarily cost anything. USCC does 4 colors on a 2d coin side for free. 3d coin sides use less or no color, but cost more than a 2d coin side. The last challenge coin company was fairly expensive, so I wouldn't necessarily base any decisions on their way of doing things.

Your most inexpensive option is generally going to be 2d with a small color palette. If you use a larger palette, you will raise the cost per coin by a few cents for each coin. If you use a 3d side, it generally raises the initial die fee (by anywhere between 30 and 50 dollars).

Ideally you should have your concept and art for it, then get a quote for it from production companies. You can then tweak it to fit what can be done and what you want to pay for. It also pays to solicit their suggestions on the coin. They make coins for a living, and may be able to suggest additions or modifications that make your coin look "more awesome".

karmacappa on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just do a PAX Community coat on one side, PAX EAST 2011 on the other, and call it a day.

Goose! on
    edited January 2011
    I called USCC because I work with them on some other things and asked for some details on how the group ordering would go for the community coin if we go with US Challenge Coins. They advised me that production should start by the end of January if we want this to go through on time. Please note I don't have any say in the process for the Community Coin, I'm just explaining how USCC would handle a group buy like this.

This is the process that US Challenge Coins will use:
    The artwork is submitted for approval and a quote is given for the coin. Details on price per coin and shipping fees will be posted when the quote is finished.

What we will need going forward is a list of people that are going to be ordering coins. Papaprinny will let you know when this list is being assembled. This list can be assembled while the previous step is being worked on. After we send this list in, no more orders will be allowed. If you can not pay USCC with one of the payment types listed in the next step, you should arrange to have someone else order your coins for you.

Once we get a full list, we send this to US Challenge Coins. At that point, we will request that the people on that list submit payment for their coins to USCC . USCC will be comparing the people paying to the people on the list, so it's important that the names match. If you weren't on the list, you can't order a coin at this point. USCC accepts Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, and Paypal.

At some point, USCC will close the order and then the actual production of the coins will begin. Again, if you didn't pay by this point, you will not get a coin. We should try to make sure that the coins will get to people at the beginning of March (a week or more before the start of PAX East). USCC does ship internationally, and they should be able to handle the overseas orders. This will make it important that we have the coins finished in a timely fashion so that they.

karmacappa on
    edited January 2011
    I'm pretty sure Papaprinny, is aiming to use a place that allows individual orders because he doesn't want to deal with collecting people's money and submitting orders manually again.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2011
    Yep, that would be USCC. Papaprinny will just need to get them a list of people that are going to order. After that, USCC will be handling the orders of the people. He won't have to deal with the money, the shipping, etc...

karmacappa on
    edited January 2011
    Please elaborate, karmacappa. You've dealt with these people before; I haven't.

Tonight I'm going to go through this thread and collect ideas we've had so far, then put it to a vote. Whichever idea gets the most votes is what gets made. So be here this weekend.

papaprinny on