As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 PAX Forum Challenge Coin - ORDERS CLOSED. That's it!

• Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    papaprinny wrote: »
    Okay folks, I made what I'm hoping will be the last change to the design.

After I moved the "PAX East 2011" text on advice of Eric, I was bothered by the positioning and size of the steeple and the other text on the coin face. So I just sent the following edit off to Eric. The symmetry of the assets are now much better, and the steeple no longer intrudes in the "PAX East 2011" text.

paxeast2011challengecoi.png

Your love for symmetry and constant attention to detail are inspiring. I was about to comment on the steeple going right between the "PAX East 2011" text, but clearly there was no need. <3

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That coin looks great. Definitely going to order a pair for me and the wife. I missed out on the Prime coins by a day, which blows, because that was our first PAX. Won't make that mistake again!

Artereis on
  • Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I gotta wonder how much crap I'm gonna get from other soldiers when it comes time to drop coins and I drop the PAX coin.

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    ArymanAryman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know I'm late on this, but I don't think there's enough video-game related imagery on the coin. I don't play tabletop games at all so I'm iffy on getting a coin so prominently tabletop-oriented. I think we can add something other than just the pac-man on the edges. Maybe replace the cards with gaming controllers?

As it is I won't be buying the coin, sorry.

Aryman on
    360/PSN/Steam: Aryman104

Currently playing: MvC3
    Other games: SSF4, Smash Bros Brawl, Pokemon HG, Magicka
  • Options
    cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aryman wrote: »
    I know I'm late on this, but I don't think there's enough video-game related imagery on the coin. I don't play tabletop games at all so I'm iffy on getting a coin so prominently tabletop-oriented. I think we can add something other than just the pac-man on the edges. Maybe replace the cards with gaming controllers?

As has been stated, the previous coin showed a hand holding a DS, with no representation of other kinds of gaming. (even other consoles) I think, because it's PAX, it's assumed that those other gaming platforms are included. I think the Pac-mans on the edges are a perfect way to give tribute to video gaming, while giving a different platform the spotlight this time around.

The ultimate decision to buy is obviously up to you. I think this is awesome and I plan to buy one for everyone in my traveling group.

cynthetic on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why is 14 the up side on the d20 on the coin? Or am I wrong?

Goose! on
  • Options
    HolyyakkerHolyyakker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The chip-in seems to have ended. If we are still interested in getting coins what should we be doing?

Holyyakker on
    "Beware to March of Dimes" - MacBeth
  • Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holyyakker wrote: »
    The chip-in seems to have ended. If we are still interested in getting coins what should we be doing?
    Waiting until orders are live and then placing as many as you can as fast as you can. We're up against Chinese New Year here and a large order will convince the manufacturers to get straight to our coins.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We hope to have updates for everyone sometime around the Feb 8-10 range when the factory gets back to us with a quote.

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    Waiting until orders are live and then placing as many as you can as fast as you can. We're up against Chinese New Year here and a large order will convince the manufacturers to get straight to our coins.
    Curse you Chinese New Year!

Holyyakker on
  • Options
    DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'm with you there. PAX is mainly focused on video games and culture, the tabletop stuff is secondary. It's not even 50/50 (just look around the expo hall, look at the panels when that list goes up, and look at the bands playing, tabletop gaming is a VERY small segment of the PAX experience). So I just don't get it, but the majority here in this thread seems enamored with it so it's all good. Still did some nice work on the coin, and I am into tabletop gaming as well, but this just doesn't speak to me personally as a representation of PAX. One less thing to buy and bring with me to Boston, no biggie! :)

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • Options
    SpiderSimianSpiderSimian Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    USCC is better than most people with their over the phone orders. The main reason that i can see that we would need to put in phone orders is so they can push their manufacturers to make the coins sooner. Also it means only people with a connection to PAX can order them, not anyone with a whimsy of getting the coin.

The reason I don't like phone orders is because I like to have a paper trail of things , even if it is electronic.
    karmacappa wrote: »
    They do orders via e-mail as well. Once they're open for orders, we'll give you the pertinent information.

Great!

SpiderSimian on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Deefuzz wrote: »

I'm with you there. PAX is mainly focused on video games and culture, the tabletop stuff is secondary. It's not even 50/50 (just look around the expo hall, look at the panels when that list goes up, and look at the bands playing, tabletop gaming is a VERY small segment of the PAX experience). So I just don't get it, but the majority here in this thread seems enamored with it so it's all good. Still did some nice work on the coin, and I am into tabletop gaming as well, but this just doesn't speak to me personally as a representation of PAX. One less thing to buy and bring with me to Boston, no biggie! :)
    Personally I disagree with these statements. There is a large contingency of tabletop gamers who attend PAX/PAX East. Heck, the Board Game Lending room and playing rooms had quite a bit of space devoted to them last year. The cards represent the CCG elements as well.

And if you play games like WoW/Baulder's Gate or others they are based on the same type of random number dice elements. Just like there are people who go to PAX who are primarily video game players there are also people who are primarily tabletop players. It's somewhat annoying that we are dismissed as "secondary."

Not saying you should buy a coin, but PAX isn't just video games, it isn't just tabletop games. It's a home for all nerds, geeks, and gamers.

Holyyakker on
  • Options
    DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Deefuzz wrote: »

Personally I disagree with these statements. There is a large contingency of tabletop gamers who attend PAX/PAX East. Heck, the Board Game Lending room and playing rooms had quite a bit of space devoted to them last year. The cards represent the CCG elements as well.

And if you play games like WoW/Baulder's Gate or others they are based on the same type of random number dice elements. Just like there are people who go to PAX who are primarily video game players there are also people who are primarily tabletop players. It's somewhat annoying that we are dismissed as "secondary."

Not saying you should buy a coin, but PAX isn't just video games, it isn't just tabletop games. It's a home for all nerds, geeks, and gamers.

Sorry if you took offense, that was not my intention (I guess looking back at that post it did come off as a little snarky, so for that I apologize), I was just recalling how things appeared to me at last year's convention. I tabletop game as well, so it's not like I am trying to alienate any other group of people. Hell I even demoed Zombie Dice and bought some card games from one of the vendors last year. But when looking at last year's convention as a whole, I would have to say video games were the driving force.

When I think "video game convention" I think PAX, when I think "tabletop convention" I think GenCon. Maybe that's the difference here, but I guess what it all boils down to is we are all gamers of some form or another. It's pretty cool that tabletop gamers can feel a connection with PAX when someone like me thinks that it is such a smaller part of the convention, apologies for "dismissing" you tabletoppers! Glad you have found a home at PAX as well. :)

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hey, no problems. I'm snarky pretty much all the time.

Holyyakker on
  • Options
    ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    While I agree that Videogames appear to be under emphasized on the coin. I am still LOVING it and intend on buying it. I don't tabletop (at least not at the moment), but I do play Magic and I do love PAX so Either way I'm getting one if not several = D

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FYI, I'm not a tabletop gamer either. I've never played a single tabletop game in my life. I drafted this design because it was among the best design ideas in the thread, and because attempting to put several different symbols on the face of the coin at once would have made it look as though we are trying too hard. That, and it would quickly exhaust a number of the symbols we might be able to draw upon for future designs. Personally I'm not too attracted to the tabletop elements on the coin, but it is indeed the other major form of gaming at PAX aside from videogames. It is only appropriate that it gets some air time. I would also hazard to venture that you don't see the point in collecting challenge coins if you are going to pass this up just because you don't like tabletop gaming. If you are going to PAX and you want to up your nerd cred, this was designed as a way to do that.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ya I look at this as one coin to a awesome future set of coins. :)

Rdr on
  • Options
    SpiderSimianSpiderSimian Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So we are at basically only 4 weeks and change left... is this ready for orders yet? I am starting to seriously doubt we will get these in time.

SpiderSimian on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So we are at basically only 4 weeks and change left... is this ready for orders yet? I am starting to seriously doubt we will get these in time.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=18230454#post18230454

We'll get more info today or in a couple days. There's still time.

Rdr on
  • Options
    bustin98bustin98 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is cool! I think many first timers might be interested in this, but topics tend to get dropped from the top pretty quick. Maybe there should be a mention of the coin in the Hitchhikers Guide?

When ordered, is there a minimum amount of coin to order where there is potential overstock, or are they printed exact, so only those who place an early order gets them? I would take it that since its not an officially sanctuntion activity that overstock can't be sold on PAX grounds?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered. I didn't go through all of the posts.

bustin98 on
    Xbox Live, PSN, Twitter: bustin98
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Papaprinny has submitted artwork and we are awaiting a quote. This is outside of the control of anyone in the US, we're waiting because of the Chinese New Year.
    bustin98 wrote: »
    This is cool! I think many first timers might be interested in this, but topics tend to get dropped from the top pretty quick. Maybe there should be a mention of the coin in the Hitchhikers Guide?

When ordered, is there a minimum amount of coin to order where there is potential overstock, or are they printed exact, so only those who place an early order gets them? I would take it that since its not an officially sanctuntion activity that overstock can't be sold on PAX grounds?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered. I didn't go through all of the posts.

There is no minimum amount for individuals, as long as at least 50 coins in total are ordered. When they are made, they will make the exact number that individuals have ordered. These will not be sold at PAX as RK doesn't mind us doing it on our own, but PA may at some time in the future decide to make official merchandise similar to this.

karmacappa on
  • Options
    fullofgracefullofgrace Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    karmacappa wrote: »
    There is no minimum amount for individuals, as long as at least 50 coins in total are ordered. When they are made, they will make the exact number that individuals have ordered. These will not be sold at PAX as RK doesn't mind us doing it on our own, but PA may at some time in the future decide to make official merchandise similar to this.
    This is good to know. Thanks! I need to take a coin count from my friends and keep stalking this thread, then! :)

fullofgrace on
    I'm jessageek on Twitter and Tumblr
    PAX East Pics: 2010-2015 & Vids: 2012-2015
  • Options
    ravemongerravemonger [E] Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Shameless bump.... where's the quote! :)

ravemonger on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Update: No update, no quote yet. We will post when we get a quote.

karmacappa on
  • Options
    ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    *bump* Also wanted to know if there was any updates?

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    papaprinny wrote: »
    FYI, I'm not a tabletop gamer either. I've never played a single tabletop game in my life. I drafted this design because it was among the best design ideas in the thread, and because attempting to put several different symbols on the face of the coin at once would have made it look as though we are trying too hard. That, and it would quickly exhaust a number of the symbols we might be able to draw upon for future designs. Personally I'm not too attracted to the tabletop elements on the coin, but it is indeed the other major form of gaming at PAX aside from videogames. It is only appropriate that it gets some air time. I would also hazard to venture that you don't see the point in collecting challenge coins if you are going to pass this up just because you don't like tabletop gaming. If you are going to PAX and you want to up your nerd cred, this was designed as a way to do that.

Also keep in mind that this is a tradition now. It's a testament to the quality of the coins and the community that this exploded in such a big way the first time, and that the demand is even higher now.

As such, it's not crucial that we attempt to represent every part of PAX on every coin. Not everyone loves the DS on the first coin (myself included), but now we're getting dice. Next time it might be pen and paper, or a controller, or a sumo. Because we're making coins every six months and PAX isn't going anywhere, we can really get a good variety going and attempt to represent PAX as a whole, even though each coin features a specific part.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So I called Eric today and confirmed the quote. I paid the die cost and processing fees of $295 (thanks to everyone that helped out with those costs). Papaprinny has given the okay on the artwork, the dies are already being assembled, and a sample is being made. We will post pictures of the proof when we receive them.

The sooner orders are submitted, the more likely you will get your coin in time for PAX. The coins will cost $2.53 per coin. This apparently does not include shipping. They will come in a hard plastic capsule to protect the coin.

Details on how to order will be coming up tomorrow.

karmacappa on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Can we order now?

That is really cheap.

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    Can we order now?

That is really cheap.

You can order now. I've cleared it with Eric and he says that sooner is better.

Yes, it's pretty cheap. Less than 1/3 the price that we paid for the last coin.

karmacappa on
  • Options
    slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's an insanely good price for a short run. I'll be getting a few of these for sure.

slamonella on
    Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    ravemongerravemonger [E] Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Awesome, order placed.

ravemonger on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That is an incredibly cheap price. Order sent.

Heleor on
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Edit: D'oh - took too long on the phone, and somebody else already posted the info. NM. Wall 'o text deleted.

Order placed :D

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks, calling now to order 5!

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • Options
    slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Order in! Thanks to the folks responsible for making this happen.

slamonella on
    Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Note - also might want to change thread title to indicate that coins are now available for order.

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    5 coins coming my way.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just e-mailed to order seven -- one to display at my desk, one to carry on my person, five to pass on to friends who don't follow these forums as closely as I do. Awesome work, can't wait to receive the coins!

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    RazorDRazorD Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm in the UK, so i suspect shipping here would be way too costly.. If any lovely PAX forumer whos going to place an order doesn't mind adding another one, I'll happily paypal you the monies now and collect at PAX?

I'll be around on twitter (@lgladdy) during PAX so i'm sure arranging to collect would be easy! :)

RazorD on