Options

Make me afraid. (Recommend On!)

13»

Posts

  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rikushix wrote: »
    Oh god, I just thought of a fantastic movie for you. Why didn't I think of this before?

    It's not too deep into the horror genre, but it's certainly...macabre.

    The Vanishing. No, not the terrible American remake with Kiefer Sutherland. The original 1998 Netherlands production.

    It's utterly fantastic. Rent it the moment you have the chance.

    Deeply unsettling film.

    Spoorloos is the name of it. And it's pretty amazing.

    Esh on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    The problem with Funny Games was the director and his weird analysis of audience reaction to (major spoilers)
    the fourth wall breaking "rewind" moment. It catches everyone completely off guard because for a moment you think the good guys might win and then they yank it away via Deus Ex Machina.

    The director said this was some sort of comment on violence in the media and how people in audiences would cheer for the moment the family got the upper hand on the captors and kills one of them. He'd claim they were "cheering violence" because people were so desensitized to it. Once the rewind happens they'd get quiet and realize that they had just cheered on the violence they claim to hate.

    But that's bullshit. They're not cheering violence. They're cheering because these innocent people who have done nothing might finally escape this hell they've been put into. They're not being quiet because of some internal realization that they're being hypocrites. They're being quiet because you just fucked them over by taking back something that happened in the most abstract way possible.

    Just thinking about it makes me irritated.

    Yeah, that moment is mentioned in the synopsis (though not the 'why' part), and I just read it and thought "Why would you do that to your audience?" All it would make me realize is that I just wasted $10 on what is essentially a dirty trick.

    ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not enough of the films in this thread are actually frightening (aside from The Vanishing and Jacob's Ladder, which are fine suggestions)
    Go and try:
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    Best film of the modern asian lot, with far more depth and imagination than Ringu or Ju-On, guaranteeing you'll find the plot interesting even if the horror doesn't work out for you.

    Lost Highway
    Entirely messed-up headtrip from the late 90s. It'll take you a while to work out what's going on (and probably repeat viewings), but it will mess with your head like few other things.

    Carnival of Souls
    Eerie 60s black-and-white classic with some of the most haunting imagery ever seen in a horror film.

    Ghostwatch
    Obscure 90s BBC piece (which I'm fairly sure is on Youtube) which does the "fake documentary" take far more elegantly than Blair Witch or any of its imitators.

    The Devil's Backbone
    Not sure how scary this counts as, but it's the film The Orphanage was pretty-near ripping off, and far better.

    Salo
    Actually, no. Don't.

    Peeping Tom
    Forgotten British thriller that does everything Funny Games did (re: criticising the voyeurism of the audience) with far more restraint, and over 30 years earlier.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Flay on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    The problem with Funny Games was the director and his weird analysis of audience reaction to (major spoilers)
    the fourth wall breaking "rewind" moment. It catches everyone completely off guard because for a moment you think the good guys might win and then they yank it away via Deus Ex Machina.

    The director said this was some sort of comment on violence in the media and how people in audiences would cheer for the moment the family got the upper hand on the captors and kills one of them. He'd claim they were "cheering violence" because people were so desensitized to it. Once the rewind happens they'd get quiet and realize that they had just cheered on the violence they claim to hate.

    But that's bullshit. They're not cheering violence. They're cheering because these innocent people who have done nothing might finally escape this hell they've been put into. They're not being quiet because of some internal realization that they're being hypocrites. They're being quiet because you just fucked them over by taking back something that happened in the most abstract way possible.

    Just thinking about it makes me irritated.

    I am I bad person for that being probably one of my favorite scenes in the movie? Every time the fourth wall was broken I was stunned that the movie could be as good as it was even though the actors kept looking at the camera.

    On purpose.

    Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What Lies Beneath

    Im not kidding. Its not too too scary, and the twist at the end either makes or breaks the movie for you.

    But it made a lasting impression on me. Especially since its only rated pg-13 ( Only Pg-13 movie to ever horrify me )

    Talkc on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ugh... I hated What Lies Beneath. The first half is nothing but a Rear Window knock off, and the second half is just awful.

    But a lot of people did seem to like it, so it might just be me.

    Has anyone mentioned "Let the Right One In?" The American remake is coming out October 8th, but the original is on Netflix instant watch and is absolutely amazing. Not scary really in the conventional sense, but it is probably my favorite "horror" movie.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sentry wrote: »
    Ugh... I hated What Lies Beneath. The first half is nothing but a Rear Window knock off, and the second half is just awful.

    But a lot of people did seem to like it, so it might just be me.

    Has anyone mentioned "Let the Right One In?" The American remake is coming out October 8th, but the original is on Netflix instant watch and is absolutely amazing. Not scary really in the conventional sense, but it is probably my favorite "horror" movie.

    Ugh.. i loved Let The Right One In. i cant believe they remade it. The original is just.. so .. .. right.

    Talkc on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Talkc wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Ugh... I hated What Lies Beneath. The first half is nothing but a Rear Window knock off, and the second half is just awful.

    But a lot of people did seem to like it, so it might just be me.

    Has anyone mentioned "Let the Right One In?" The American remake is coming out October 8th, but the original is on Netflix instant watch and is absolutely amazing. Not scary really in the conventional sense, but it is probably my favorite "horror" movie.

    Ugh.. i loved Let The Right One In. i cant believe they remade it. The original is just.. so .. .. right.

    I agree, but I'm actually hearing really good things about this remake also. I was firmly against, now I am only cautiously against, moving towards cautiously optimistic. If they can make two excellent movies out of the book, then I am all for it. But the original will always have a huge place in my heart. It was just sooo good.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll also throw in a recommendation for [rec]. The sequel was also quite good while not really being just a rehash of the original - it actually develops the plot quite a bit.

    SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oooh! Funny Games! Hell yeah, that's one of the only movies to legitimately have me on the edge of my seat

    blakfeld on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really liked The Strangers. Its pretty much about a couple being harassed by a group of killers. But something about the movie just...worked with me. I almost had to leave the theater because my girlfriend was too stressed/scared.

    Not sure why that movie worked more then any other movie about people killing other people, but it did.

    Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want to hate the remake of Let The Right One In

    but it is by Hammer

    and man I love Hammer so dang much

    The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Rikushix wrote: »
    Oh god, I just thought of a fantastic movie for you. Why didn't I think of this before?

    It's not too deep into the horror genre, but it's certainly...macabre.

    The Vanishing. No, not the terrible American remake with Kiefer Sutherland. The original 1998 Netherlands production.

    It's utterly fantastic. Rent it the moment you have the chance.

    Deeply unsettling film.

    Spoorloos is the name of it. And it's pretty amazing.

    Yep!

    I have it on Criterion DVD; again, I suggest to the OP that he pick it up. If you can find it at a video store, all the more power to you.

    edit: I'm going to rent Funny Games after you guys recommended it.

    Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    Drag Me to Hell is a lot of fun! It relies a lot on gross-out humor and jump scares but it brings the fun that has been missing from a lot of horror movies back to the genre.

    Oh god this movie. I found it hilariously bad instead of scary. It's one of those horror movies where my fiancee and I just started laughing when we were supposed to be frightened.

    It's such a bad movie that I know we'll never watch again that I use that folder on my media drive to hide all my porn.

    You do realize who the director of that movie is, right?

    I died a little inside when I read the criticism of Drag Me to Hell. Evil Dead and Army of Darkness rolled over in their respective graves and I lost hope for the younger generation of movie viewers.

    3drage on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't watch horror movies for fun, I watch them for tension and suspense. Drag Me To Hell had pretty much none of that. At least not for me.

    Adus on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Play Misty For Me, Clint Eastwood's directorial debut, remains one of the creepier movies I've ever seen.

    A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sentry wrote: »
    Talkc wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Ugh... I hated What Lies Beneath. The first half is nothing but a Rear Window knock off, and the second half is just awful.

    But a lot of people did seem to like it, so it might just be me.

    Has anyone mentioned "Let the Right One In?" The American remake is coming out October 8th, but the original is on Netflix instant watch and is absolutely amazing. Not scary really in the conventional sense, but it is probably my favorite "horror" movie.

    Ugh.. i loved Let The Right One In. i cant believe they remade it. The original is just.. so .. .. right.

    I agree, but I'm actually hearing really good things about this remake also. I was firmly against, now I am only cautiously against, moving towards cautiously optimistic. If they can make two excellent movies out of the book, then I am all for it. But the original will always have a huge place in my heart. It was just sooo good.

    I'm in the same boat. I wanted to hate even the idea of an Americanized remake, but after reading several reviews from reviewers who also wanted to dislike it, and came away pleased, I think I may need to go. It's currently at a 100% fresh rating at Rotten tomatoes after twelve reviews, and some reviewers are saying the US version may actually do a few things even better than the original.

    And I just got done dissing the idea of a remake during lunch at work. Guess I'll need to eat my words with my sammich.

    Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I really liked The Strangers. Its pretty much about a couple being harassed by a group of killers. But something about the movie just...worked with me. I almost had to leave the theater because my girlfriend was too stressed/scared.

    Not sure why that movie worked more then any other movie about people killing other people, but it did.

    It's basically a remake of a better French film called Them.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rikushix wrote: »

    edit: I'm going to rent Funny Games after you guys recommended it.

    I hope that you enjoy it. You'll have to let us know one way or another.

    BTW, what part of Vancouver are you in? If you're near a DVideo I recommend that you go there for all your video needs. I had one near Lougheed when I lived in Burnaby and it was great.

    Reading through this thread, it's really cool how most of the highly recommended stuff I've seen already. I'm glad that I started the thread an hopefully it will go a long way in being a reliable thread for movie recommendations.

    Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You might like Pandorum. Nobody seems to have heard about or seen it, but it kept me rather suspended.

    Antithesis on
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Antithesis wrote: »
    You might like Pandorum. Nobody seems to have heard about or seen it, but it kept me rather suspended.

    I got it, it wasn't bad but I wouldn't rank it anywhere near The Thing, or other closed space thrillers. But it did deserve a little more recognition than it got.

    3drage on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Xagarath knows what's up in this thread. I'm just going to suggest you all read what he has to say and follow it point by point.

    LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    3drage wrote: »
    Antithesis wrote: »
    You might like Pandorum. Nobody seems to have heard about or seen it, but it kept me rather suspended.

    I got it, it wasn't bad but I wouldn't rank it anywhere near The Thing, or other closed space thrillers. But it did deserve a little more recognition than it got.

    I didn't find it all that scary. Entertaining enough that you're not wasting your time, but no real frightening moments.

    You know what movie freaked me the hell out as a teenager, so bad that I have never watched it since?

    Hellraiser 2.

    I'm pretty sure I should be embarrassed by that.

    This thread is depressing me as I realize how rare good, really scary horror is.

    Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Judge-Z wrote: »
    3drage wrote: »
    Antithesis wrote: »
    You might like Pandorum. Nobody seems to have heard about or seen it, but it kept me rather suspended.

    I got it, it wasn't bad but I wouldn't rank it anywhere near The Thing, or other closed space thrillers. But it did deserve a little more recognition than it got.

    I didn't find it all that scary. Entertaining enough that you're not wasting your time, but no real frightening moments.

    You know what movie freaked me the hell out as a teenager, so bad that I have never watched it since?

    Hellraiser 2.

    I'm pretty sure I should be embarrassed by that.

    This thread is depressing me as I realize how rare good, really scary horror is.


    If you think about it, It really is hard to evoke fear in someone who is starting at an object that is known to flat out lie to you. Video games are the same way. Back when I was a kid the NES game shadowgate scared me pretty good. I still think it was the music.

    As far as recommendations go? The tv series TALES FROM THE DARK SIDE had some fairly creepy stories.

    Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rikushix wrote: »

    edit: I'm going to rent Funny Games after you guys recommended it.

    I hope that you enjoy it. You'll have to let us know one way or another.

    BTW, what part of Vancouver are you in? If you're near a DVideo I recommend that you go there for all your video needs. I had one near Lougheed when I lived in Burnaby and it was great.

    Reading through this thread, it's really cool how most of the highly recommended stuff I've seen already. I'm glad that I started the thread an hopefully it will go a long way in being a reliable thread for movie recommendations.

    Heh, I live at Oak and 70th, so the Burnaby/Coquitlam locations are a bit out of the way ;-) All I have around here is Rogers at Granville and 70th. I might be getting Netflix but of course the streaming selection is rather limited.

    Thanks for the recommend though...I'll look it up when I get the chance, could they have it in Blockbuster? I grew up in Ladner and if I'm near the family home I might just rent it from there.

    Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Drag Me to Hell is a lot of fun! It relies a lot on gross-out humor and jump scares but it brings the fun that has been missing from a lot of horror movies back to the genre.

    Oh god this movie. I found it hilariously bad instead of scary. It's one of those horror movies where my fiancee and I just started laughing when we were supposed to be frightened.

    It's such a bad movie that I know we'll never watch again that I use that folder on my media drive to hide all my porn.

    Drag me to Hell is one of the scariest and best horror films I've seen in a good long while and it's a genre I keep up to date with. That said you've really got to "get" Ramie's style. The bit with the anvil, hilarious, the whole fight in the car, hilarious, but it really does ramp up the tension despite the laughs. If you don't enjoy the mix of horror and comedy then it just won't click with you, people had the same problem with Cabin Fever.

    Also Drag me to Hell MUST be watched in a dark room, with powerful speakers cranked up to full volume. I had some friends that watched it on a small 20" tv through the built in speakers and weren't scared. I invited them round, put it on the projector and cranked up the surround sound and they were utterly terrified and on the edge of their seat throughout (and laughing too). One of few films I've been to the cinema to see more than once!

    Anyway, horrors I can think of off the top of my head:

    The Signal - Pretty messed up, again with comedic elements. Very odd.
    Rec - It's been recommended a few times, and for good reason.
    Splinter - A fairly recent horror film, it's a nice, different take on a zombie movie.
    Stephen King's IT - A lot of people don't like this and feel it's aged badly. It's always stuck with me as a powerful fairly tense horror. Up until the ending where it turns to poo.
    Frontier - I think it was French. Very slasher/chainsaw massacre-esque. Pretty grim.
    High Tension - Mentioned before, pretty good slasher film but with an interesting, if completely un-necessary twist.
    28 Days Later - I loved this film. Maybe because I'm familiar with the setting and seeing these places absolutely desolate scared me. Running, screaming zombies. Every time I see this film I want to play L4D, every time I play L4D, I want to see this film.
    The Shining (Tv remake) - I haven't watched this recently so I'm relying on my 15 year old self but I remember the remake being a bit cheaper looking but closer to the books and scarier.
    Hellraiser - Watched it as a kid and it scared me, always has done ever since.
    All the boys love Mandy Lane - A bit of a guilty pleasure, it's not really scary, it's not really very good but that didn't stop me buying it on Bluray :)

    And a couple of vampire films that aren't scary but are worth a watch!

    Let the Right One In - Pretty popular now so I'm sure you've heard of this. Very good, different to the book but no better or worse really.
    Thirst - Asian vampire film, imagine Twilight if it was mean spirited. Jumps about the place a bit but is brutal and funny.

    (Also all of the the above made me sound like some kind of self-proclaimed horror buff, I'm not, I just love the genre and know what -I- like. As someone pointed out, it's all down to what scares you. I watched A Serbian Film recently, which has achieved fairly high critical acclaim and I thought it was rubbish.)


    ::Edit:: Oh yeah, Society! That film disturbed me as a child. I can see the comedy in it now but back then...-shudder-

    Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rikushix wrote: »
    Rikushix wrote: »

    edit: I'm going to rent Funny Games after you guys recommended it.

    I hope that you enjoy it. You'll have to let us know one way or another.

    BTW, what part of Vancouver are you in? If you're near a DVideo I recommend that you go there for all your video needs. I had one near Lougheed when I lived in Burnaby and it was great.

    Reading through this thread, it's really cool how most of the highly recommended stuff I've seen already. I'm glad that I started the thread an hopefully it will go a long way in being a reliable thread for movie recommendations.

    Heh, I live at Oak and 70th, so the Burnaby/Coquitlam locations are a bit out of the way ;-) All I have around here is Rogers at Granville and 70th. I might be getting Netflix but of course the streaming selection is rather limited.

    Thanks for the recommend though...I'll look it up when I get the chance, could they have it in Blockbuster? I grew up in Ladner and if I'm near the family home I might just rent it from there.

    Dude, that is spooky. I used to live right on Oak and 70th on the southeast corner. The building my wife and I lived in was pink and green, but I think they've painted it since then. You should be able to find Funny Games at Rogers though, I rented it at one of the locations here in PG. If not, you could always make the trek up Oak to the Blockbuster thats by Max's Deli. It's a bus ride away, but it's a HUGE store if I recall correctly.

    Antithesis: Pandorum was great. I loved every second of it, but once again it was more of a monster movie than actually scary. It kind of reminded me of Dead Space in a way.

    ViscountAlpha: The music in Shadowgate is DEFINITELY what scared you. I still get the creeps thinking of the music that played in the room filled with water with the skeleton in it. You had to freeze the water to get something from the skeleton.

    Judge-Z: Hellraiser 2 was the best one, because it had a great interpretation of what Hell was like.

    Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but I really enjoyed Jennifer's Body. And not for the reason most guys enjoyed it, although that is one reason I enjoyed it. I don't know if it was overly scary, but I still thought it was a pretty good post-modern horror movie.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Judge-Z: Hellraiser 2 was the best one, because it had a great interpretation of what Hell was like.

    And that's exactly what scared the fuck out of me.

    Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
Sign In or Register to comment.