Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Do you (voluntarily) come into work on Saturdays?

2»

Posts

  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm salaried as well and if you have work that needs to get done by Monday, you damn well go in on Saturday and get it done. If you don't finish it Saturday, you go in Sunday too.

    That's how it goes.

    (We also regularly work 9-10 hour work days. Wheee.)

    Nostregar on
    Nostregar wrote: »
    I think that an entire religious debate done in haiku would be genuinely enjoyable.
    You say there is God
    I see only the fleshmeat
    Prove your space daddy
  • kaliyamakaliyama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I work between 50 and 70 hours a week. I do everything possible in my power to make sure I don't come in on weekends - it's vital for your psychological health that you have some sustained time away from your work whenever possible.

    kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    I don't actually mind working odd hours or weekends, but its quite common here for employers to take advantage of cultural pressures to wring unpaid overtime out of white-collar workers, and I'm not playing that game. I don't work for free, I'm selling my labour on the open market. And there are plenty of buyers, because I'm well-trained, flexible, and not particularly invested in one Big Career.

    So very much this. My general reaction if my employer tries to force me to do any work unpaid is a large middle finger. Also why I don't do salary work. So far every salaried position I've seen has been an excuse to pay you for 40 while working you 80+. No thank you. If I want to work 80 plus I'd get a second job and probably make more money that way!

    Phoenix-D on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Work on Saturday? In government? Surely you jest. :P

    Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't tend to do Saturday overtime at my current job. Usually because if I have the option, it's to clear someone else's backlog, or get on top of stuff that is dstributed around the department anyway. It's extremely rare that I would work on my own stuff on a Saturday.

    Part of this is just the industry. I work in financial services, so nobody else will be working on a Saturday, or if they are they won't necessarily be picking up the phone or responding to email, which kind of limits what you're able to get done.

    japan on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I would totally work Saturdays if I was allowed. Right now I'm an intern however, and there are very clear company policies that state when I can and can't work.

    I'm hoping to get hired there full-time after school however, so I can see myself working Saturdays voluntarily at that point.

    langfor6 on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Ho! Ho! Ho! Drink Coke!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I actually work a Tues-Sat shift right now at my job.

    It has its benefits, and its drawbacks.

    Centipede Damascus on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yes but I'm scheduled for Saturdays :P

    Although going into work on Saturdays for m consists of listening to music/watching movies/tv for roughly 5-6 hours of my 8 hour shift so I'm pretty ok with it :lol:

    It's the life isn't it?

    I listen to music, watch youtube, play video games. I work Tuesday to Saturday and I love my Saturdays.

    THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If I worked an IT job where there was more than one person in the shop (preferably 3), I'd request to work half-days on Wednesday, and work a half day on Saturday to make up for it. The only stuff I ever have going on during weekends is late Saturday evening, unless there's football on (and that's more a matter of something worth watching, not something I actually plan/schedule to do).

    Tox on
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »
    I don't actually mind working odd hours or weekends, but its quite common here for employers to take advantage of cultural pressures to wring unpaid overtime out of white-collar workers, and I'm not playing that game. I don't work for free, I'm selling my labour on the open market. And there are plenty of buyers, because I'm well-trained, flexible, and not particularly invested in one Big Career.

    So very much this. My general reaction if my employer tries to force me to do any work unpaid is a large middle finger. Also why I don't do salary work. So far every salaried position I've seen has been an excuse to pay you for 40 while working you 80+. No thank you. If I want to work 80 plus I'd get a second job and probably make more money that way!

    Um, anybody that is not a grunt that can just be fired at will for no real reason is salary. All upper management is salary, being salary is a good thing, it means you've made it. If you aren't, you're just a little prick that I may or may not pay you for overtime, but if you don't work it without pay you can bet I'll find a reason to fire your ass in the next month.

    Also keep in mind the pay scales. Salaried IT workers in my department, 60-250k. Non, 35-45k. So even if, and that's a huge fucking if, we decide to actually pay you for overtime, you're still making well... not that much.
    If I worked an IT job where there was more than one person in the shop (preferably 3), I'd request to work half-days on Wednesday, and work a half day on Saturday to make up for it. The only stuff I ever have going on during weekends is late Saturday evening, unless there's football on (and that's more a matter of something worth watching, not something I actually plan/schedule to do).

    We have about 20 people for our company, supporting about 5000 global in international development.

    The way it works is this, everybody is "officially" 8-5. But you can make your own hours provided you put in 8, nobody will care when you show up and when you leave, it's kinda an honor system.

    The IT officers, senior sysadmins, and senior techs are all salaried. They make a ton more than the rest. But there is a catch to all this, all major upgrades must be done off hours, and we all get a company phone that beeps us when there are issues, we are all on call 24/7 should there be a disaster, and we can't get paid for it. Because we are all company officers, it's expected.

    Outside of IT, when I roll in over the weekend, I'll probably encounter a fair bit of the salaried senior people burning the candle. Never any of the low level shmucks, it's always officer level.

    Working weekends can kick ass. Server updates actually don't require much effort after I've tested them on a virtual machine. I'll order up a goat cheese, anchovies, and black olives pizza. Haul in a 12 pack of my favorite IPA, rock the shorts and hat, and just let it roll. I'll play some street fighter, hit the office gym, and call it a day. Maybe go for Indian food with one of the lead senior VP's after the fact, possibly play some holes at a golf course I don't have a membership for.

    It's also the best way to be promoted. I know who doesn't "have to work weekends", and I know who shows up, and who demands to be paid. Hint, I'm not going to pay for you it. And if you are willing to fly out for weekend trip to help me rebuild our Kenya office, and do all the upgrades, you're going to get a great year end review. If you don't, well, I can't dock you for it, so you'll "pass" but a good raise or a promotion you won't get.

    nstf on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Which is why I don't do IT, nstf. Most of the jobs I've worked it'd be, oh, illegal to work me without pay. I'm not so attached to pay that I'm willing to be treated like shit for it.

    There have been instances- and granted this is when I was working low-end retail- that the managers actually made less per hour than the peons because they were putting so much time in for the same pay.

    Phoenix-D on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Which is why I don't do IT, nstf. Most of the jobs I've worked it'd be, oh, illegal to work me without pay. I'm not so attached to pay that I'm willing to be treated like shit for it.

    There have been instances- and granted this is when I was working low-end retail- that the managers actually made less per hour than the peons because they were putting so much time in for the same pay.

    It's illegal here as well. So, those that want to play that game don't work the hours. Get average marks at the end of year, I give them the minimum raise that doesn't keep up with inflation or make up a reason to fire their ass.

    And with that, you're done. And I'll write up your prior record so fucking hard good luck getting hired again. Before I can your ass you'll be hauled in multiple times for fucking shit up, being late, being lazy, I may even claim I smelled booze on your some mornings. You will be gone, and I will fuck you.

    On the other hand, if you work without pay, you'll get a great raise. Amazing fucking review, and if you leave you'll get a job recommendation like none other.

    Hell if you do great, and pull the hours, you might just get a nice 20k raise and offered a salaried position. Because you've proven you're willing to do it, and won't gripe about it. You'll get all the perks, introduced to the people that run things, and when we are still there at 10pm I'll buy you a drink after. Hell I might just give you two extra days when you fly out to Thailand to upgrade a data center to have fun, on the company buck. I'll also upgrade your perdium.

    Play ball and things work out great, don't and you're fucked. That's how things work.

    nstf on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It is perfectly possible to be salaried and still be paid overtime.

    Alternatively, there are plenty of fields where people bill by the hour without being a "grunt".

    Not every industry and/or profession is structured with managers at the top earning more than people on hourly wages at the bottom.

    japan on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Which is why I don't do IT, nstf. Most of the jobs I've worked it'd be, oh, illegal to work me without pay. I'm not so attached to pay that I'm willing to be treated like shit for it.

    There have been instances- and granted this is when I was working low-end retail- that the managers actually made less per hour than the peons because they were putting so much time in for the same pay.

    It's illegal here as well. So, those that want to play that game don't work the hours. Get average marks at the end of year, I give them the minimum raise that doesn't keep up with inflation or make up a reason to fire their ass.

    And with that, you're done. And I'll write up your prior record so fucking hard good luck getting hired again. Before I can your ass you'll be hauled in multiple times for fucking shit up, being late, being lazy, I may even claim I smelled booze on your some mornings. You will be gone, and I will fuck you.

    On the other hand, if you work without pay, you'll get a great raise. Amazing fucking review, and if you leave you'll get a job recommendation like none other.

    Hell if you do great, and pull the hours, you might just get a nice 20k raise and offered a salaried position. Because you've proven you're willing to do it, and won't gripe about it. You'll get all the perks, introduced to the people that run things, and when we are still there at 10pm I'll buy you a drink after. Hell I might just give you two extra days when you fly out to Thailand to upgrade a data center to have fun, on the company buck. I'll also upgrade your perdium.

    Play ball and things work out great, don't and you're fucked. That's how things work.

    ...

    or they just don't use you as a reccomendation and you have absolutely zero influence on their future?

    HappylilElf on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also many employers don't base their performance review scores on how much overtime you did.

    japan on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Also many employers don't base their performance review scores on how much overtime you did.

    Also many employers aren't, well, nstf.

    All I'll say about that little rant is someone's hunting for a very lucrative wrongful termination suit if he's really doing that.

    Phoenix-D on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Which is why I don't do IT, nstf. Most of the jobs I've worked it'd be, oh, illegal to work me without pay. I'm not so attached to pay that I'm willing to be treated like shit for it.

    There have been instances- and granted this is when I was working low-end retail- that the managers actually made less per hour than the peons because they were putting so much time in for the same pay.

    It's illegal here as well. So, those that want to play that game don't work the hours. Get average marks at the end of year, I give them the minimum raise that doesn't keep up with inflation or make up a reason to fire their ass.

    And with that, you're done. And I'll write up your prior record so fucking hard good luck getting hired again. Before I can your ass you'll be hauled in multiple times for fucking shit up, being late, being lazy, I may even claim I smelled booze on your some mornings. You will be gone, and I will fuck you.

    On the other hand, if you work without pay, you'll get a great raise. Amazing fucking review, and if you leave you'll get a job recommendation like none other.

    Hell if you do great, and pull the hours, you might just get a nice 20k raise and offered a salaried position. Because you've proven you're willing to do it, and won't gripe about it. You'll get all the perks, introduced to the people that run things, and when we are still there at 10pm I'll buy you a drink after. Hell I might just give you two extra days when you fly out to Thailand to upgrade a data center to have fun, on the company buck. I'll also upgrade your perdium.

    Play ball and things work out great, don't and you're fucked. That's how things work.

    ...

    or they just don't use you as a reccomendation and you have absolutely zero influence on their future?

    Any one you want to work for will call your prior boss, that's where I win. Good fucking luck.

    nstf on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Also many employers don't base their performance review scores on how much overtime you did.

    Also many employers aren't, well, nstf.

    All I'll say about that little rant is someone's hunting for a very lucrative wrongful termination suit if he's really doing that.

    Thank god for at will employment, I can fire people for any reason. Even "you just don't fit into the team".

    nstf on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    Any one you want to work for will call your prior boss, that's where I win. Good fucking luck.

    Depends why they say they left.

    I've asked that former employers not be contacted before, because I left on bad terms (previous employer had unrealistic expectations about working hours. Funny that). They didn't and I got the job. Also, I don't know about the US, but in the UK employment law pretty strictly defines what can and can't be said in a reference.

    japan on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2010
    japan wrote: »
    nstf wrote: »
    Any one you want to work for will call your prior boss, that's where I win. Good fucking luck.

    Depends why they say they left.

    I've asked that former employers not be contacted before, because I left on bad terms (previous employer had unrealistic expectations about working hours. Funny that). They didn't and I got the job. Also, I don't know about the US, but in the UK employment law pretty strictly defines what can and can't be said in a reference.

    I'm not handing anyone any sort of paycheck without figuring out why they left, and how much of a fuck up they were, and I pay well. I also require a pizz quiz, background check, and credit check.

    That aside, I'll start you off at 55k, with 2.0 overtime, but that only applies when I ask you to do it. With a pay increase to cover inflation yearly, with more at my discretion. If you last 2 years, and really show off, I'll offer you a salary at 70k, with a shit ton of rules, with the chance to apply to any job in the company. I've had people I hired move out of IT, and into projects, that I now answer to, they make good cash. One person I hired is now over the magical 250 mark that Obama set, I answer to him.

    Some that worked for me, hate me, because I fired their ass. And told all their prospects when called (and they will) they were a lazy sack of shit. On the other hand, several people I hired, well I know work for them.

    Such is life, you play the game, you win some, you lose some. But if you don't play you lose.

    nstf on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    nstf wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Which is why I don't do IT, nstf. Most of the jobs I've worked it'd be, oh, illegal to work me without pay. I'm not so attached to pay that I'm willing to be treated like shit for it.

    There have been instances- and granted this is when I was working low-end retail- that the managers actually made less per hour than the peons because they were putting so much time in for the same pay.

    It's illegal here as well. So, those that want to play that game don't work the hours. Get average marks at the end of year, I give them the minimum raise that doesn't keep up with inflation or make up a reason to fire their ass.

    And with that, you're done. And I'll write up your prior record so fucking hard good luck getting hired again. Before I can your ass you'll be hauled in multiple times for fucking shit up, being late, being lazy, I may even claim I smelled booze on your some mornings. You will be gone, and I will fuck you.

    On the other hand, if you work without pay, you'll get a great raise. Amazing fucking review, and if you leave you'll get a job recommendation like none other.

    Hell if you do great, and pull the hours, you might just get a nice 20k raise and offered a salaried position. Because you've proven you're willing to do it, and won't gripe about it. You'll get all the perks, introduced to the people that run things, and when we are still there at 10pm I'll buy you a drink after. Hell I might just give you two extra days when you fly out to Thailand to upgrade a data center to have fun, on the company buck. I'll also upgrade your perdium.

    Play ball and things work out great, don't and you're fucked. That's how things work.

    ...

    or they just don't use you as a reccomendation and you have absolutely zero influence on their future?

    Any one you want to work for will call your prior boss, that's where I win. Good fucking luck.

    No, you don't "win". And seriously? "Win"? You view people's future as a game? Good lord should you never have been put in a position of authority.

    They don't put you down as a reference (and if you fired them for no reason why the hell would they?)

    You don't get called and aren't able to have your little power trip.

    How is that hard to understand?

    HappylilElf on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pizz quiz?

    You can find out why someone left a previous job without contacting their previous employer. You seem to be operating under the assumption that anyone with hiring authority is some kind of saint dispensing trustworthy advice on their former employees. Employers can be vindictive and unreasonable. That, as a matter of fact, is an excellent reason to leave, and in such circumstances, it isn't unreasonable for a prospective employer to be asked not to contact them.

    japan on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Pizz quiz?

    You can find out why someone left a previous job without contacting their previous employer. You seem to be operating under the assumption that anyone with hiring authority is some kind of saint dispensing trustworthy advice on their former employees. Employers can be vindictive and unreasonable. That, as a matter of fact, is an excellent reason to leave, and in such circumstances, it isn't unreasonable for a prospective employer to be asked not to contact them.

    Only a total failure as a manager would hire someone without talking to their prior manager, so yeah, here I win you lose.

    nstf on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Pizz quiz?

    You can find out why someone left a previous job without contacting their previous employer. You seem to be operating under the assumption that anyone with hiring authority is some kind of saint dispensing trustworthy advice on their former employees. Employers can be vindictive and unreasonable. That, as a matter of fact, is an excellent reason to leave, and in such circumstances, it isn't unreasonable for a prospective employer to be asked not to contact them.

    Only a total failure as a manager would hire someone without talking to their prior manager, so yeah, here I win you lose.

    If I'm honest, I'm not convinced you have ever actually interviewed and hired anyone, or obtained references. Alternatively, the working culture in the US is even more bizarre than I've been led to believe.

    What is that you're winning, incidentally?

    EDIT: Oh yeah, I still don't know what a "pizz quiz" is.

    japan on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2010
    japan wrote: »
    nstf wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Pizz quiz?

    You can find out why someone left a previous job without contacting their previous employer. You seem to be operating under the assumption that anyone with hiring authority is some kind of saint dispensing trustworthy advice on their former employees. Employers can be vindictive and unreasonable. That, as a matter of fact, is an excellent reason to leave, and in such circumstances, it isn't unreasonable for a prospective employer to be asked not to contact them.

    Only a total failure as a manager would hire someone without talking to their prior manager, so yeah, here I win you lose.

    If I'm honest, I'm not convinced you have ever actually interviewed and hired anyone, or obtained references. Alternatively, the working culture in the US is even more bizarre than I've been led to believe.

    What is that you're winning, incidentally?

    EDIT: Oh yeah, I still don't know what a "pizz quiz" is.

    pizz quiz is a drug test. You have to pass it. I'll run a credit check on your ass, and call your prior boss. Then you may or may not get to see and tell me why you can help me for x position open.

    Now, most jobs don't need this, but if you want to make cash, or get a bulltet proof government job, you need to.

    nstf on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Japan, its a drug test reference.

    Also, I'm not sure that trying to engage ntsf in a rationale conversation is a good use of your time.

    Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't believe he has for a second, japan. Not a whole lot of what he's said in here is even remotely appropriate for any employer. Quite frankly anyone he were to supervise would walk out laughing shortly after their start date.

    HappylilElf on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm salary, and I get bonuses for overtime

    Styrofoam Sammich on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I work in Financial Services, I get routinely background checked to hell and back.

    Never been drug tested though.

    japan on
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuck credit checks on employment.

    "Hey, I see that you've had some problems with credit in the past. You must have been irresponsible and made poor decisions. Clearly, you'll do the same here. We can't have someone who's not already successful working for us. Sorry, FAIL."

    or

    "Hey, I see that you've had some problems with credit in the past. You're probably more likely to play ball, because you need to in order to pay off debts. This economy's hard and not everyone makes the best decisions, but if you're willing to work hard, you'll do well. If not, well, we can still fire you."

    Which seems like a more reasonable view? My thoughts exactly. I despise systems that keep the downtrodden downtrodden.

    Also, working on Sat from noon to midnight? On your girlfriend's birthday? When you were really supposed to take her to Magic Kingdom, just like she always wanted? Yeah, that's me today.

    Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2010
    Fuck credit checks on employment.

    "Hey, I see that you've had some problems with credit in the past. You must have been irresponsible and made poor decisions. Clearly, you'll do the same here. We can't have someone who's not already successful working for us. Sorry, FAIL."

    or

    "Hey, I see that you've had some problems with credit in the past. You're probably more likely to play ball, because you need to in order to pay off debts. This economy's hard and not everyone makes the best decisions, but if you're willing to work hard, you'll do well. If not, well, we can still fire you."

    Which seems like a more reasonable view? My thoughts exactly. I despise systems that keep the downtrodden downtrodden.

    Also, working on Sat from noon to midnight? On your girlfriend's birthday? When you were really supposed to take her to Magic Kingdom, just like she always wanted? Yeah, that's me today.

    You're more willing to sell state secrets if you're in debt, that's fucking why.

    nstf on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The checks run on me are generally for two reasons. The first is to make sure I'm not in any kind of massive financial trouble that could provide an incentive for me to start writing cheques to myself on the sly. the second is to make sure that I haven't suddenly and inexplicably come into any large quantities of money (see first reason).

    EDIT: neither would cost me my job, because that would be illegal, but I'd probably find my cases getting audited with more frequency, and my authority thresholds would probably be reduced.

    japan on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I generally don't go in on Saturdays, but I do sometimes actually enjoy working through lunch or staying a little late. When I'm doing things on off-hours, most people leave me alone so I find that half an hour stolen either way can be more productive than an entire morning or afternoon when I'm being distracted by calls and random requests.

    It's not something I do often, and if it gets even close to a full hour I'll usually try to work something out where I get lieu time or perhaps duck off a little early to balance the scales a bit.

    The only time I've gone into work on a weekend recently was during the G-20 summit here in Toronto. Some people got a little... boisterous, so when I saw that on the news I got ready and headed down to the mall/office towers where I work as an administrator for the security department. When I got there I found the mall and towers locked down, and the staff trying to get people out to where they needed to be while keeping everyone else outside. The people smashing windows and setting police cars on fire had moved off, so it's not like there was any particular danger, but it was a disconcerting time all the same.

    Not being in uniform actually proved to be fortuitous, as I was able to help escort some people out to a quieter street where they snagged cabs before heading back and doing so again. After that, I hung around in the command center where we were keeping tabs on the situation between the net and the news, and then helped another admin snag a dozen pizzas for the men and women working the floor (being out of uniform probably helped there as well). Made another food run and then headed home. I was only there for 4 hours or so, but the help was appreciated and work hooked me up with a thank you note and a gift card for $75 last week. I hadn't expected any compensation, I just knew that people I considered friends and acquaintances were somewhere that had the potential to get dangerous and I wanted to help, so I did.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    Fuck credit checks on employment.

    "Hey, I see that you've had some problems with credit in the past. You must have been irresponsible and made poor decisions. Clearly, you'll do the same here. We can't have someone who's not already successful working for us. Sorry, FAIL."

    or

    "Hey, I see that you've had some problems with credit in the past. You're probably more likely to play ball, because you need to in order to pay off debts. This economy's hard and not everyone makes the best decisions, but if you're willing to work hard, you'll do well. If not, well, we can still fire you."

    Which seems like a more reasonable view? My thoughts exactly. I despise systems that keep the downtrodden downtrodden.

    Also, working on Sat from noon to midnight? On your girlfriend's birthday? When you were really supposed to take her to Magic Kingdom, just like she always wanted? Yeah, that's me today.

    You're more willing to sell state secrets if you're in debt, that's fucking why.

    Maybe that's relevant for you, I don't know. But how many people are in a position to sell state secrets? That's a red herring if ever I saw one, man.
    japan wrote: »
    The checks run on me are generally for two reasons. The first is to make sure I'm not in any kind of massive financial trouble that could provide an incentive for me to start writing cheques to myself on the sly. the second is to make sure that I haven't suddenly and inexplicably come into any large quantities of money (see first reason).

    EDIT: neither would cost me my job, because that would be illegal, but I'd probably find my cases getting audited with more frequency, and my authority thresholds would probably be reduced.

    This is a much more reasonable and plausible response.

    Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Shockingly, he does have a good point about credit checks. For positions or businesses where you have access to financial information or the ability to manipulate financial transactions, then yeah, a credit check makes sense. Criminal record checks make sense too, if you're handling sensitive information.

    I work for a provincial government agency here, and they probably should have been asking for both on me and everyone in my area.

    But if you're working in any sort of job where you don't have access to those things, it isn't really that relevant IMO.

    Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Which is where I take issue with the practice. It seems like it's becoming the standard for jobs in any kind of corporate sphere.

    Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's become common practice lately, because it's another way to scrutinize prospective employees. In the current market, where way more than the usual number of people are applying for way less than the usual number of positions, it's an extra way to weed out people who aren't 100% perfect.

    Ten years ago, it probably wasn't that common, in ten years, if things improve, it probably won't be cost effective enough to continue. As it currently stands, though, I think businesses can write off the extra cost of those checks as cost of doing business (because it's considered a pre-employment screening process).

    I don't have a problem with background checks, but I do think it should come up in the interview, first, and if you disclose everything they find beforehand, it shouldn't affect your chances anymore than what you told them did. Maybe an extra interview, if there's questions (since sometimes criminal records don't always accurately reflect what you may have told them, but be close enough that you're not straight up lying).

    Credit checks are kind of crummy, but like I said above, it's sort of a such-is-life situation, hopefully only for the short term.

    Also, in the case of an employer in the US abusing reference...."power" like that, it wouldn't last long. People who live in the same metropolitan area, work in the same field, and leave the same company, where they worked for the same supervisor, will find out about each other, and find a lawyer. Suing for defamation of character is a civil suit, where most cases only require a "preponderance" of evidence, not evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. Four or five employees all coming together to sue the same person for making the same or similar claims will not be dismissed by any level of "model citizen."

    Then again, the type of person who would abuse power like that is the type of person who would pay off a judge, so there's always the matter of a person just being corrupt and willing to destroy other people's careers on a power trip. I think they made a movie about that once.

    Tox on
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.