As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Armageddon Death Squad

• Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It is almost 8am, and I have been pulling an all-nighter on school shit fueled by beer and metal...alas, my metal has run dry while my beer remains well stocked. What to do?

I need some suggestions, and you fine folks are more knowledgeable than I. I definitely would not mind some great Gothenburg suggestions that don't start with Dark and end with Tranquility. I could also use a bit of some epic meedly meedly guitar work to liven up the playlist betwixt the doom and gloom. Is there anything new that came out this year (or last year) that I should know of but am not "underground" enough to have heard? Enlighten me, oh sages of metal.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuck yes, Nile and Melechesh here next Feb :D

Tav on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I forgot about that new Equilibrium, and they still wont give that shitty synth orchestra a rest. I shall now refer to them as the genre of Soul Calibur Metal until they resolve this.

I tried to like Sagas, I really did, but those damn synth trumpets are noise to me.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Listened to By Inheritance in the car today. I love that album so much.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    New Forbidden album, not that there has been any reason to look forward to anything they've done since 1990. But hey, this could be the one...

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    wald-metallica.jpg

edit: Any of you fuckers who can should be heading to MDF next year
    ACID WITCH
    AURA NOIR (Norway)
    AVULSED (Spain)
    BAD ACID TRIP
    BLOOD FREAK
    CIANIDE
    CITIZENS ARREST
    CORROSION OF CONFORMITY (Animosity lineup)
    CREATIVE WASTE (Saudi Arabia)
    CRETIN
    CRIPPLE BASTARDS (Italy)
    DEAD CONGREGATION (Greece)
    DEFEATED SANITY (Germany)
    DEVOURMENT
    DROPDEAD
    EXHORDER
    EXHUMED
    FUNEBRARUM
    GOATSNAKE
    GRAVEHILL
    HAIL OF BULLETS (Netherlands)
    HATRED SURGE
    HOODED MENACE (Finland)
    IMPALED NAZARENE (Finland)
    INNUMERABLE FORMS
    INQUISITION
    THE KILL (Australia)
    KYLESA
    LAST DAYS OF HUMANITY (Netherlands)
    LOCK UP (UK)
    MACHETAZO (Spain)
    MALIGNANT TUMOUR (Czech Republic)
    MAMMOTH GRINDER
    MARDUK (Sweden)
    MASAKARI
    NAILS
    NEUROSIS
    NIGHTBRINGER
    NOCTURNAL (Germany)
    NOKTURNEL
    ORANGE GOBLIN (UK)
    PULLING TEETH
    REGURGITATE (Sweden)
    REPUGNANT (Sweden)

Holy fuck that is one hell of a line-up, and there's still more to come

Tav on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FTDR needs a favicon.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Go on and make one.

Also, new Slough Feg album, a concept album about Keynesian economics...!?!?

That's more interesting than apes.

autothrall on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Didn't the singer from Iced Earth already do an econ based concept album? Way to be original guys.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Didn't the singer from Iced Earth already do an econ based concept album? Way to be original guys.

No, that was more of a patriotic/anti-conspiracy rant album, which only brushed on the economy.

And Slough Feg are actually good, unlike Sons of Liberty.

autothrall on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    American heavy metal band Slough Feg has completed work on the band's follow-up to "Ape Uprising," which is entitled "The Animal Spirits." Vocalist/guitarist Mike Scalzi comments on the new album: "The title sounds like it could mean plenty of things, but really refers to an Aristotelian theory of perception that was somehow taken seriously until the mid to later 1700's (?!) Why this was I don't know, but it involves these bizarre fluid called ‘animal spirits’ traveling through a person's veins carrying information of what they have perceived, storing it in the heart, and then releasing it again when that thing is remembered. It really a primitive precursor to the idea of neurons firing in a chain, containing ideas. So that's what people will find if they do a little research about the title."

Going further into the themes of the album, Scalzi elaborates: "The content of the record is (subject wise) is not too far from usual SLOUGH FEG material. The first two songs are about Medieval Catholic theology. Then it switches to basic horror themes, a couple of songs about some insane person who thinks he's a vampire, and then a werewolf (inspired by the Gothic soap-opera ‘Dark Shadows’) then there's one of our weird ‘what if Dicky Betts of the Allman Brothers had joined Iron Maiden in 1980’ instrumentals. Then a few more songs about frustration, misery and madness, and a final fast, driving rock/metal number called ‘Tactical Air-War’, which will be sung by Bob Wright of Brocas Helm!”

Err, yeah... also, new Horned Almighty should be out soon.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I stand corrected, and gave them too much credit.

The album has a track called "Free Market Barbarian" though and Keynes was often mocked for the 'animal spirits': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_spirits_(Keynes)

So I got confused (though I did notice the werewolf song).

The cover is...interesting.

autothrall on
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A song based on (the slightly awful) Dark Shadows?

Mike Scalzi. He's the king of my heart.

Rotam on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy crap! There's a new Soilwork album!

...And it's good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T4_myIOcvU

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Another suggestion from Quebec local scene :

Unexpect . They sound like a mix of ADHD and virtuosity and a firmly outside the box of conventionnal extreme metal. I just saw them live and they are excellent. It is a local band, but they toured with Dream Theater and Opeth during Progressive Nation. I would recommand their last offering, In A Flesh Aquarium.

The best thing about them ??
    _MG_2325.jpg

Yep, that's 9 strings, and it's awesome

McKid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've always had mixed feelings about Unexpect, ever since I bought their debut Utopia.

Definitely no argument that they're interesting.

autothrall on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've listened to them for about 4 years and I'm still not sure if they're excellent or awful

L|ama on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq-wNjfPEoQ

not as charming as the original, but at least they didn't use that dethklok song

yakul on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    autothrall wrote: »
    New Manticora album, but ugh, I hope that is not really the cover.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'll have to listen to it a bit more, but it seems to lack the melody of some of the older stuff.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    New Manticora album, but ugh, I hope that is not really the cover.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'll have to listen to it a bit more, but it seems to lack the melody of some of the older stuff.

Yeah, it's nothing special.

autothrall on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yakul wrote: »

not as charming as the original, but at least they didn't use that dethklok song

Thunderhorse. With the music video of generic vikingness.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hey, Battlefield is an awesome song, come on. :\

Adus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Done with letter 'P'.

Also I'm adding state tags to the blog for American bands, beyond just using 'USA' (though I'll keep USA on there too). Might help me with a future project, so if any of you get the chance to stroll through and add a few to the American albums reviewed there, would be a big help.

Just got a ton of new black metal promos in the mail. Forteresse, Sargeist, Borgne, Weapon, Valotron, Grafenstein, Neige et Noirceur and more.

autothrall on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just learned about Axis of Advance and am listening to their first album, fucking awesome death/black band.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    New Arckanum!

Just in time for winter. :D
    The album is a dedication to Surtr - Giant and Ruler of the world of flames Múspellzheimr; and Loki - the Flaming Giant and Archenemy of the worlds. ”Sviga Læ” is a manifestation of the blazing Chaos and the burning of the gods.

:D

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Maybe he'll supply a complete translation for you guys this time...

In other news, also a new Star One album, I can't remember if people in here listened to them. Sci-fi prog metal side project of Ayreon.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Chances are if it's power/symphonic metal, I listen to it. Really enjoyed the first Star One album so I'm looking forward to it.

For now, looking for some new Melodic Death/Black. Dominia, Septicflesh, Thurisaz, Pandemonium, Dark Lunacy. Stuff like that.

Adus on
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've heard a couple of the songs from the new Star One. Pretty good, but I think it suffers from sounding a bit too much like Ayreon (particularly The Universal Migrator Part 2.) That said, the fact that one of the songs is about Firefly is enough to sell me on it.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Going away this weekend, and unfortunately didn't get time today to throw up some horror-ish, death or gore metal reviews. So if any of you blokes have some time this weekend, go nuts...I'd appreciate it.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've heard a couple of the songs from the new Star One. Pretty good, but I think it suffers from sounding a bit too much like Ayreon (particularly The Universal Migrator Part 2.) That said, the fact that one of the songs is about Firefly is enough to sell me on it.

It was fairly boring, in my opinion. Nothing on it wowed me like Starchild did the first time around.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hm yea the songs on Victims of the Modern Age are not as poppy as Space Metal and it hurts it.

Seems like they were trying to remove the cheese, so instead of being delicious pepper jack, its now just regular ass cheddar

yakul on
  • Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    New Agalloch is supposedly somewhere out there. (edit: Blah, false news)

Got tickets for GY!BE in San Francisco come February. FINALLY! Really disappointed after I couldn't get tickets to the LA show.

Not really metal, but I've really been enjoying Warpaint's debut "The Fool"

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    brorsteinbrorstein Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Didn't see this in the most recent posts, but maybe I'm just not up on the metal news lately:

I got a message from Ajna saying Deathspell's new album Paracletus is due out on the 8th already! Limited LPs and some sort of custom hoodie if anyone's interested.

brorstein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Helloween's entire new album is streaming on their MySpace, if anyone cares.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    515iZS8yFVL._SS500_.jpg

I just got my friend this on vinyl for his bday/Christmas present.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    New Horned Almighty.
    New Firewind.
    New Umbrtka.

The release schedule lately has hit critical.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Turns out that the new Forbidden is in fact quite awesome, well worth the wait, and review is now available:

http://autothrall.blogspot.com/2010/10/forbidden-omega-wave-2010.html

More new stuff coming today.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm glad it's payday for me with all this cool stuff coming out. Like both the new Helloween and new Firewind, though neither strikes me as great right now. I'm probably higher on them than most of the rest of you, but I always am when it comes to Power Metal.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    t auto, your Firewind review got cut off or something.

yakul on
This discussion has been closed.