As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Armageddon Death Squad

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://autothrall.blogspot.com/2011/06/morbid-angel-ilud-divinum-insanus-2011.html

Puts that to rest.

Origin and JFAC reviews tomorrow.

I might think about hitting up that Enslaved gig, though I would not be interested in seeing Alcest.

autothrall on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    autothrall wrote: »
    http://autothrall.blogspot.com/2011/06/morbid-angel-ilud-divinum-insanus-2011.html

Puts that to rest.

I might think about hitting up that Enslaved gig, though I would not be interested in seeing Alcest.

Let me know if you decide to because that'd bump that show from a "Maybe I'll go" to a "Hell yeah, see ya there".

Mgcw on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "No other band in the entire Extreme Metal genre but Morbid Angel would have ever dared to make 'Illud Divinum Insanus'. There are going to be quite a few unimaginative underground purists who think they know better what kind of album Morbid Angel should or should not be putting out, but with 'Illud Divinum Insanus' Trey and David prove that they answer to no one but themselves. It is an incredibly well written, performed, recorded and produced record." - Karl Sanders, Nile.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, there's a whole page full of band quotes from bands who probably want to tour with them. The album is garbage. I am now horrified for the new Decapitated, too.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mgcw wrote: »

Puts that to rest.

Let me know if you decide to because that'd bump that show from a "Maybe I'll go" to a "Hell yeah, see ya there".

Same here. MetalPAX will be a reality.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, there's a whole page full of band quotes from bands who probably want to tour with them. The album is garbage. I am now horrified for the new Decapitated, too.

"Thank fuck I spent the last 3 years in a wheelchair." Pete Sandoval

Tav on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Enslaved finally comes here and the opening bands are trendy throwback traditional band and disposable shoegaze shit band

Nice.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm going to need to listen to the Ghost album and review it at some point. I've got like five requests to do that specific album and never bothered, not to mention I've seen it mentioned as one of the 'best metal albums of the 21st century so far', etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJy-hdKT5wM

I don't mind this in some places.

It's sad to me that most people will be going to that gig for Alcest...

If only Enslaved brought like Deathspell Omega and maybe a German band (Odem Arcarum, Klabautamann or Kathaaria) then they could have one hell of a touring package.

autothrall on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I had hoped that they might have brought someone like Kvelertak over with them as support.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, I have every confidence we'll be seeing a few Kvelertak tours here, if not with bigger black metal bands, then certainly with some hardcore or more aggressive stoner rock packages (the band is already pretty big in those scenes).

I know they toured Europe with Converge, so I wouldn't be surprised if they brought them here too, maybe a tour with Converge and Trap Them. I could see them do something with High on Fire, Baroness and Mastodon too.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Kvelertak were pretty poor when I saw them. The singer was hella enthusiastic, but the rest of the band really seemed to be phoning it in. I was really disappointed, and they were just blown away by Kylesa and Converge, but it does take something special to beat Bannon as a frontman.

On a side note, the guitarist for Kvelertak didn't use a pick and afterwards his fingers were cut to shit. It was rather surprising.

Tav on
  • Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can't say I mind Ghost playing with Enslaved; I enjoy them for what they are. On the other hand, Alcest will be a nice long bathroom/drink break. Definitely could always pick better openers though.

Still laughing at this Morbid Angel disaster.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I seriously didn't realise Alcest got so much hate. I'm really surprised they're so panned.

Tav on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    I seriously didn't realise Alcest got so much hate. I'm really surprised they're so panned.

I tried. I really did. Just find them to be boring. Nothing offensive, just sort of "oh, it's over? okay".

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bolthorn wrote: »

I tried. I really did. Just find them to be boring. Nothing offensive, just sort of "oh, it's over? okay".
    Ditto.

Boooooring.

hanskey on
  • Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Seems like a normal reaction from people given the way Alcest and Neige have been overrated. As for me, I was just disappointed by Alcest. Don't hate them, but aside from a couple songs, don't really care.

Better get back on my Mercyful Fate kick.

edit: There are good shoegaze albums out there. Alcest's just aren't one of them.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I just hate shoegaze music of any type.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Pretty much all the drone, shoegaze, and post-rock I've heard I find to be really insipid after a very short span of listening, but for some reason my brothers love that shit and have for many, many years.

Not to say someone couldn't do it well, or that no one has done it well, but, for me, it's a pretty tall order to make non-boring albums in those styles.

Mercyful Fate

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I like a few of the shoegaze bands from the late 80s or 90s quite a bit, and even I don't enjoy Alcest. I find the songs tedious, with only a small chunk of intriguing melody and notation, and they just never seem to develop into anything more. Plus the grown man dreaming back to yore and his communion with fairykind. Not for me. Far from the worst band out there, but incredibly overrated, whereas something like Coldworld or Lifelover (Konkurs) or a few other artists gives me more of an intriguing blend of the 'shoegaze' concept within the raw/depressive black metal mold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajct4wJVvz4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7GSaYkXOqA&feature=related

I just love the repressed, rich textures in these artists, the atmosphere that permeates despite the often crude productions.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Lifelover rules!!

Edit: Never heard Coldworld before, but that track is getting me interested in checking them out!

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    hanskey wrote: »
    Lifelover rules!!

Edit: Never heard Coldworld before, but that track is getting me interested in checking them out!

Melancholie² is worth checking out. Gorgeous and grisly.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like I'll be picking that up at my earliest possible convenience.

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm not big on Depressive Black Metal as I want my black metal to be my gateway to an audience with the Horned One himself, but even I enjoy that Coldworld album.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Man, that new Morbid Angel review must have set my personal record for most grammatical errors. Thanks to some readers, I believe I've got it all fixed up now. And I've put the crackpipe away.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I understand fully. I would have needed to be high on some kind of drug to enjoy that god damned mess, too. I'm waiting for more bullshit quotes from bands that are just kissing Morbid Angel's ass. I'm not entirely convinced that most of them actually said any of that shit, either. I've dealt with PR dickheads before and they don't give one fuck about whether or not you spoke certain words. If they're not directly affiliated with you, they can just twist things to their own liking. If they're the ones who sign your checks, you can either nut up and deal with it or not pay rent/mortgage next month.

In other news, I'm especially grumpy today. I was going to write a few reviews for the blog, actually, but even if I liked the albums I was listening to, my diatribe would eventually just end with about three paragraphs of nothing but profanity followed by the words "death to all living things -- suck on my dong".

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Based on what? I know Enslaved are like 10 years older, but Alcest still have only half as many listeners on last.fm as Enslaved.

And I can understand finding Alcest boring, but acting like they're the overhyped kings of shit mountain is pretty silly. I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned in "mainstream" metal press, but then again I don't read much of that either.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Mainstream metal press includes Decibel who busted a nut over them.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Eh... I can't believe this is even a discussion. I am looking forward to both Alcest and Enslaved.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's a discussion because Alcest are ass.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just hate shoegaze music of any type.
    Enslaved finally comes here and the opening bands are trendy throwback traditional band and disposable shoegaze shit band

Nice.
    It's a discussion because Alcest are ass.
    I'm not big on Depressive Black Metal as I want my black metal to be my gateway to an audience with the Horned One himself, but even I enjoy that Coldworld album.

please continue cataloguing things you dislike, it is so interesting

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh ho, look who found his big boy pants in SE++. Thought you'd come back in here and show us your cool new attitude you picked up, right?

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    L|ama wrote: »

Based on what? I know Enslaved are like 10 years older, but Alcest still have only half as many listeners on last.fm as Enslaved.

To be clearer: I was specifically referring to the gig in my area. Alcest is extremely popular, as with most Pitchfork darlings. People in other markets may in fact have greater taste. Also, I'm not sure if a last.fm comparison will be all that valid. Enslaved have like 15 years on Alcest and considerably more material...even the fact that they have half the listeners is shocking.

New Stiny Plamenů!

autothrall on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Huh. This new Amorphis came completely out of the blue. I guess that's what I get for not paying attention :P.

Probably going to see them this year again, seeing how they're going to be at the same festival with Blind Guardian and the others I'm going to see anyhow.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    New Sepultura, In Flames and ....ugh, Black Dahlia Murder doing the rounds.

edit: Bwhahahahah
    249489_231138310230133_229562863721011_1085790_975562_n.jpg

Tav on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Brb, writing a song about a killer cop who dispenses justice on Morbid Angel for the crime that is their new album.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Brb, writing a song about a killer cop who dispenses justice on Morbid Angel for the crime that is their new album.

Can I do some guest vocals?

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    New Sepultura, In Flames and ....ugh, Black Dahlia Murder doing the rounds.

edit: Bwhahahahah
    249489_231138310230133_229562863721011_1085790_975562_n.jpg

I'll review the Sepultura and In Flames in the coming week or so when they come out. I've been listening to both, and don't have much good to say about them...

I had also toyed with the idea of covering the BDM album, but fuck that band.

I think Glen Benton had some other comments up too that he took down.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Here's what Judas Priest is playing on the first leg of the Epitaph tour
    Rapid Fire
    Metal Gods
    Heading Out to the Highway
    Judas Rising
    Starbreaker
    Victim of Changes
    Never Satisfied
    Diamonds and Rust - acoustic
    Prophecy
    Night Crawler
    Turbo Lover
    Beyond the Realms of Death
    The Sentinel
    Blood Red Skies
    The Green Manalishi (With The Two Pronged Crown)
    Breaking the Law
    Painkiller
    Hellion / Electric Eye
    Hell Bent for Leather
    You've Got Another Thing Comin'

Pretty cool, I wouldn't mind seeing this set when they come around in November.

Futt Bucker on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Pretty good set, except that I'd hate to see ANYTHING get the axe just to fit in the underwhelming "Judas Rising" or crappy "Prophecy" for completion's sake...

Better to toss on a few more classics. Nobody wants to hear those!

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Pretty good set, except that I'd hate to see ANYTHING get the axe just to fit in the underwhelming "Judas Rising" or crappy "Prophecy" for completion's sake...

Better to toss on a few more classics. Nobody wants to hear those!

My thoughts exactly, but they wanted to go for at least one song from each album.

I'd gladly take "Tyrant" and "Some Heads Are Gonna Roll" over those two.

Futt Bucker on
This discussion has been closed.