As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[INTERNET DATING] It's like video games, except not

• Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    NotYou wrote: »
    What's up guys, why does no one like me? http://www.okcupid.com/profile/aesur

(your thoughts please, pretty girls won't talk to me)

Everyone claims to be sociable, easy-going, and driven, or some variation therof. The whole "I used to be from north cal, moved to so cal" thing does nothing for you either.

"I used to be good at sports" sounds like you're stretching and living in the past. Your whole "things I'm good at" section is too big, especially compared to your completely bland and generic "about me" section. You could move some things from "what I'm good at" to "about me," but mostly think of what makes you different from all the other guys. What can you say that ten hotter guys in a 30 mile radius haven't already said to her?

Fewer topics, more details. You're good at art? What mediums? Have you had any shows? What did you study? The phrase "I'm good at art, I have a tendency to paint landscapes in acrylic, usually with a hint of the fantastic." is much more appealing than the million guys who mention generic art. You're in advertising, for chrissakes - sell a few key features well, don't waste copy space on the fact that you have an "on" switch. Your pitch should be "renaissance man who is physically fit," mention the sporty stuff offhand and jokingly early on then don't mention it again, and focus more on the art and literature and cooking.

For the "favorite food" bit, make people taste the food you can cook for them. "A home-cooked meal, of course. My specialty is a ziti with sun-dried tomatoes, with tiramisu for desert."

Paint me a freaking picture.

It's been said millions of times, but still holds true. It's almost like people aren't picking up on this hint. In other news, almost messaged a girl who gave me high ratings. Then I found out she's from New York. I'm tempted to just message her "unless you're paying for the plane ticket, this is ridiculous"

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    CowShark wrote: »
    Okay, I'm re-signing up for this thing. Blast me in the face with your wisdoms, D&D.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Unsingable

'I spend most of my time at work watching cartoons,'

What if a co-worker in your area were to check out your profile?

great finishing line

Alegis on
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Okay, I'm re-signing up for this thing. Blast me in the face with your wisdoms, D&D.

'I spend most of my time at work watching cartoons,'

What if a co-worker in your area were to check out your profile?

great finishing line

It's part of the job. I guess I should probably say that in my profile so people won't think I'm some terrible loafer.

CowShark on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, I have taken multiple suggestions and edited my profile. New pictures and everything.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/CoyoteBlue2

So far so good. I'm talking with two women right now who seem very cool and intelligent. I've been emailing with one for several days. Is there some etiquette involved in when/how to ask them to get coffee or something?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know what line I hate? "I'm a self-proclaimed asshole." Aaaand delete.

LadyM on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dennis Leary needs lovin' too :P

Joolander on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sentry wrote: »
    Okay, I have taken multiple suggestions and edited my profile. New pictures and everything.

So far so good. I'm talking with two women right now who seem very cool and intelligent. I've been emailing with one for several days. Is there some etiquette involved in when/how to ask them to get coffee or something?

No etiquette. Just ask whenever you feel comfortable enough or meeting naturally comes up in conversation. How long is "several days"? If you've been talking for a week or more, you've waited long enough.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sentry wrote: »

Just ask. They are talking to you so they are at least interested in what you have to say. If they don't immediately want to meet up they will either make an excuse on why they can't or will just say they'd rather get to know you better.

Buddies on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i've got some kind of date set up for monday. this guy initially messaged me a couple of years ago around when i joined, and then cancelled our date the day of because he realised i was a carnivore. he sent a pretentious email explaining that he thought we couldn't connect due to the fact that i eat meat (SERIOUSLY), to which i replied "well, dicks are vegan, go eat several of those!" and laughed about it for a couple of days. like, WHO does that. really.

so! he messages me last week legit apologising and saying he felt bad for being a prick/didn't know what he was thinking etc, and wondered if he could make it up to me as he is now a recovering vegetarian. hilarious. i figured, eh, what the hell; he took the time to apologise to a complete stranger, what the hell? so that's happening.

retrovm on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    retrovm wrote: »
    he sent a pretentious email explaining that he thought we couldn't connect due to the fact that i eat meat (SERIOUSLY), to which i replied "well, dicks are vegan, go eat several of those!" and laughed about it for a couple of days

<3swoon<3

Joolander on
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    so! he messages me last week legit apologising and saying he felt bad for being a prick/didn't know what he was thinking etc, and wondered if he could make it up to me as he is now a recovering vegetarian. hilarious. i figured, eh, what the hell; he took the time to apologise to a complete stranger, what the hell? so that's happening.

Maybe he's a in 12 step program for being a [strike]douche[/strike]Vegetarian and just got to step 8

NeoToma on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

You're too nice. I'd ignore/delete/block the guy.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i've rarely been called too nice, so i take that as a compliment! and what can i say, he's sorta hot. it took balls to send that so i figured, eh who cares? it's not like i haven't fucked things up in my life.

retrovm on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i've rarely been called too nice, so i take that as a compliment! and what can i say, he's sorta hot. it took balls to send that so i figured, eh who cares? it's not like i haven't fucked things up in my life.

Well, shit. I'm hot, can I send you an apology and get a date? :winky:

In other news; I'm casually cancelling plans with the girl because I'm too busy but she may take it as my blowing her off. Yeesh..talk about hilarious irony in this thread!

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well now I want to know what a jiggamaboo is. God damn it.

It's always so fun living vicariously through you guys.

Underdog on
  • Options
    AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »

Well, shit. I'm hot, can I send you an apology and get a date? :winky:

Oh fuck yeah, this is a movement I can get behind!

Ages on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    umm.. honestly Richy, I just don't feel the urge to meet up with you (no offence).

Don't know why, but I'm not curious :S

So, that internet dating thing? Not going all that well for me.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bleh. That is a heartbreaking response. But at least she was honest with you.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Shurakai wrote: »
    Yeah, gotta appreciate honesty... I just wish there was a reason for it. Failing is one thing, but repeatedly failing without reason is worse.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    Yeah, gotta appreciate honesty... I just wish there was a reason for it. Failing is one thing, but repeatedly failing without reason is worse.

I don't know if we've been over this before. If we have, forgive me...

What area of what country are you in?

Why have you chosen to focus just on PoF and not OKC or even SG?

Have you gotten a profile critique?

It's hard to say what could be wrong unless we have more information. As always, I'm willing to do critiques via PM if you're shy. There are a LOT of reasons you can fail at internet dating, and a lot of possible solutions. I'm beginning to believe that my solution may be "stop internet dating and enroll in some classes/clubs." Heh.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

i feel ya. For some of us it's harder than for others. Just double the effort :)

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

It's hard to say what could be wrong unless we have more information. As always, I'm willing to do critiques via PM if you're shy. There are a LOT of reasons you can fail at internet dating, and a lot of possible solutions. I'm beginning to believe that my solution may be "stop internet dating and enroll in some classes/clubs." Heh.

I'm in Thunder Bay. Dating pool: 20 girls, my ex-fiancée, and a bear with its head stuck in a jar. Even PoF returns search results Ontario-wide because there's not enough girls in my area.

I use PoF because there's six girls in my town on OKC. I also signed up to eH and found 16 girls there, two of which talked to me. I don't know what SG is?

I've gotten several profile critiques, but I always welcome comments and improvement, so if you want to give it a shot please be my guest:
    http://www.plentyoffish.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=9180852

I'm already in a club and in anti-gravity yoga classes. I just joined a Young Professional Network group that I'm putting a lot of hopes in now. I also wanted to join a Thriller dance class, but the group fell apart.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Her reason is "I don't really find you that attractive." Or simply "I'm not really that into you."

In other words, of the 20 girls + bear, you may find 3 + bear attractive. Of those 20 girls, 3 may think you're attractive as well. The odds of those 3 girls being one of the 3 you also like aren't the best, although I'm not a statistician. It doesn't help that flesh & blood people tend to look better than flat picture people, in most cases (unless you're a good photographer), meaning that there might actually be 5 or 6 girls who like you but half of those don't think you look so hot in your pictures.

And I don't suggest holding out for the bear.

But seriously, I think that's why all of these sites push the picture thing so much -- it's ultimately less disappointing for both parties if they know what they're working with, looks-wise, from the start. If someone looks at your profile and doesn't respond to a message, they're probably just scoping your pictures and thinking "eh, I don't really feel a spark." If they're ambivalent they might read your profile and give you a chance, but if they don't find you attractive they're not going to be interested in developing a relationship.

It's not unique to girls; they just tend to be messaged more. And it's not at all saying that you're unattractive in general or a fug; just that a particular girl has particular interests.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Look at it this way; she could meet you and get your hopes up by making you feel like she's interested when she's not. The sooner, the better.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I'm in Thunder Bay. Dating pool: 20 girls, my ex-fiancée, and a bear with its head stuck in a jar. Even PoF returns search results Ontario-wide because there's not enough girls in my area.

I use PoF because there's six girls in my town on OKC. I also signed up to eH and found 16 girls there, two of which talked to me. I don't know what SG is?

I've gotten several profile critiques, but I always welcome comments and improvement, so if you want to give it a shot please be my guest:

I'm already in a club and in anti-gravity yoga classes. I just joined a Young Professional Network group that I'm putting a lot of hopes in now. I also wanted to join a Thriller dance class, but the group fell apart.

Oooohkay, that explains it.

Knowing your location answers a lot of questions I had... Why are you only looking in your town? Answer: because it's surrounded by hundreds of miles of wilderness. And you're pretty much restricted to what services you can use by what people in your town use. (SG is SoulGeek by the way. I've heard one or two success stories from people who used it, but in general I've sort of ignored that site. I'd say that in your circumstance there likely won't be many people in your one town there, either.)

A lot of people have overly restrictive age or distance requirements, or just AWFUL pictures. None of these are your problem. You have a kind of generic profile, but I'm not as good at judging PoF profiles as I am OkCupid... OKC tends to attract savvier, nerdier people whereas PoF tends to have all the normals... so maybe a bland and cheerful profile is better there.

That said, a few things I could suggest. "I'm a friendly and uncomplicated guy" sounds SO BORING. You say "I don't like crowds" like ten billion times. If I were trying to convey the same info you are trying to convey with minimal changes, I'd go with something like:

"I like to get out there and do things. Usually it's a small get-together with friends; playing board games or cooking dinner. I like the camaraderie of a smaller group, fortunately most of my hobbies fit that mold. I'm more interested in dinner at a nice restaurant or drinks at a friend's house than staying out all night at a crowded bar.

I'm a bit of a computer nerd - I sort of have to be, given that my job is all about computer-related academia. {Blah blah your computer stuff}.

I do leave the computer from time to time, of course. I like exercising, going on trips, playing casual sports where you can drink beer, and {blah blah the rest of your outdoor activities}. "

In general, BE LESS SELF-DEPRECATING. I know you are Canadian AND a Nerd, which is a double whammy in the self-deprecation sweepstakes, but holy moses, guy, you sound like you've got a pretty sweet life set up there and you have nothing to be self-deprecating about. One thing you'll hear over and over is that chicks dig confidence, and that's MOSTLY true. Even those of us who like self-deprecating guys who have a little baggage don't want to hear you apologizing for yourself all the time. Normal girls like it even less.

I... haven't slept in a long time so pardon me if this is a little harsh. I do wish you luck, though.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This -
    I suppose the idea of this is to sell myself, but I don't really know how to do that....so....
    My feet smell. I usually have coffee breath. I don't always comb my hair before I leave the house. I like me. I'd rather work to impress myself than you; I have to live with me for the rest of my life. I don't want to have casual sex with you. I've been told that I can be a little too curt. I'm big on personal space, and aggressive people freak me out. I'm definitely not a grammar nazi, but I really hate text abbreviations.

I'm having fun 95% of the time, and I really want you to have fun as well. Please have fun. The other 5% of the time I'm sleepy. Being sleepy makes me sad, and all I want from life at that point is the cuddle up and nap. In related news, I'm a big jerk if you wake me up. After being woken up, I'm likely to tell everyone and everything that isn't warm and fluffy that they are assholes. As in "Sun, you knew it was my day off. Did you have to be so bright? You are an asshole, sun."

I like to try new things. I like to do three things at once. I hate to sit still. I'm terrible about keeping in touch. I only get to see my very best friends once in a blue moon. I don't know how to drive (seriously, never even had a license). I'm honest to a fault. Sometimes I like to eat a bowl of brussels sprouts and pretend that I'm a giant, and I'm eating heads of cabbage.

I'm cuddly, affectionate, loyal, and expressive with my significant other. I will always want to say good morning and ask how his day went. If you think this could possibly be interpreted as clingy or needy, then you can move along. I'm not in the business of changing people, and I'd rather not change for anyone else.

When I grow up, I want to be a self-actualized person. I have no idea what sort of job I'll have though... I don't have a lot of money or time. I do have a plan and nearly infinite patience. I do bake awesome cookies and cakes. I give a great back rub. I'm a great person to talk to if you need someone to listen and not judge you. I'm curious, charismatic, silly, and dynamic. Fin.

turned me on.

I go to message and cockblocked - I don't meet her match % requirements! I mean, I think it would've been fun, but OKC was like the guy at the bar who stops you from fighting the other guy. You hate him at the moment, but he made a good call.

- edit -

SERIOUSLY; everyone in my area is either divorced with kids or... beyond unattractive based on their profile. I'm having conversations with girls who have 20% match just because

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm kind of curious as to what people think about my profile.

It seems to get a good amount of traffic and unsolicited messages (mostly from real people!) so I think I'm doing a few things well, but I think it's always good to have an outside opinion! It used to be a bit gloomier, but I cut out a lot of stuff and rewrote it a bit lighter, while maintaining a bit of the original vibe. Looking at it again it pains me that I have left certain sections alone for so long! (the "What I'm Doing With My Life" section in particular)

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Wazukki

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    wazilla wrote: »
    I'm kind of curious as to what people think about my profile.

It seems to get a good amount of traffic and unsolicited messages (mostly from real people!) so I think I'm doing a few things well, but I think it's always good to have an outside opinion! It used to be a bit gloomier, but I cut out a lot of stuff and rewrote it a bit lighter, while maintaining a bit of the original vibe. Looking at it again it pains me that I have left certain sections alone for so long! (the "What I'm Doing With My Life" section in particular)

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Wazukki

You have a good profile and you look like Daniel Faraday in some of your pictures. I have no criticisms.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanks, Cultural Geek Girl. I'll work on these suggestions this weekend, when I have some free time.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Can somebody give me more advice than "it sounds like you might not be working"?

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Edit: Messing about with the voting for other people on "My Best Face"--seriously, pictures of women brandishing weapons, hunting, or at the shootin' range weird me out much, much more often than they seem sexy. Am I getting these pictures because I'm in Texas? "Surely Texas dudes like women with weaponry!" says the bot

CowShark on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the kind words!

wazilla on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, Cow... I can't really discern any problem with your profile. Perhaps the nerdy clumsy dude thing doesn't play well in Texas? I have no clue

wazilla on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, I finally did it. Figured I might as well run it by you folks before messaging someone.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/TimmyHK

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, I finally did it. Figured I might as well run it by you folks before messaging someone.

You currently have the same picture posted twice.

Maybe you could photoshop a few things into one of them and make it into a "find 6 differences between these two photos," that would certainly be unique.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Carrying on a couple of good conversations with people right now, but I really have to stop obsessively checking my mail to see if they've sent a new message.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pellaeon wrote: »

You currently have the same picture posted twice.

Maybe you could photoshop a few things into one of them and make it into a "find 6 differences between these two photos," that would certainly be unique.

Ah, thanks. Replaced one.

Is it uncommon to provide explanations for answers to match questions? The two profiles I've looked at had none. And one of them had about three hundred questions answered.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In case anyone was keeping up, it looks like things are doneski with the first girl I've actually met from OKC.

Which is weird, because we were getting along really really well and then I don't know, she just became completely disinterested.

Bleh.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Oooohkay, that explains it.

Knowing your location answers a lot of questions I had... Why are you only looking in your town? Answer: because it's surrounded by hundreds of miles of wilderness. And you're pretty much restricted to what services you can use by what people in your town use. (SG is SoulGeek by the way. I've heard one or two success stories from people who used it, but in general I've sort of ignored that site. I'd say that in your circumstance there likely won't be many people in your one town there, either.)

A lot of people have overly restrictive age or distance requirements, or just AWFUL pictures. None of these are your problem. You have a kind of generic profile, but I'm not as good at judging PoF profiles as I am OkCupid... OKC tends to attract savvier, nerdier people whereas PoF tends to have all the normals... so maybe a bland and cheerful profile is better there.

That said, a few things I could suggest. "I'm a friendly and uncomplicated guy" sounds SO BORING. You say "I don't like crowds" like ten billion times. If I were trying to convey the same info you are trying to convey with minimal changes, I'd go with something like:

"I like to get out there and do things. Usually it's a small get-together with friends; playing board games or cooking dinner. I like the camaraderie of a smaller group, fortunately most of my hobbies fit that mold. I'm more interested in dinner at a nice restaurant or drinks at a friend's house than staying out all night at a crowded bar.

I'm a bit of a computer nerd - I sort of have to be, given that my job is all about computer-related academia. {Blah blah your computer stuff}.

I do leave the computer from time to time, of course. I like exercising, going on trips, playing casual sports where you can drink beer, and {blah blah the rest of your outdoor activities}. "

In general, BE LESS SELF-DEPRECATING. I know you are Canadian AND a Nerd, which is a double whammy in the self-deprecation sweepstakes, but holy moses, guy, you sound like you've got a pretty sweet life set up there and you have nothing to be self-deprecating about. One thing you'll hear over and over is that chicks dig confidence, and that's MOSTLY true. Even those of us who like self-deprecating guys who have a little baggage don't want to hear you apologizing for yourself all the time. Normal girls like it even less.

I... haven't slept in a long time so pardon me if this is a little harsh. I do wish you luck, though.

Well, I made your changes, thanks.

Now, how would I go about making it less generic and more catchy? People on the site may be normal, but even normal people need something to catch their attention. I don't really have many ideas on how to make a profile more unique and distinctive in a good way.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I must be the wrong person for this, because if I saw the sport "curling" in a girl's profile, I would immediately be like, "Take me! Take me curling! Explain this game to me. I can drink while I play it?!"

CowShark on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I must be the wrong person for this, because if I saw the sport "curling" in a girl's profile, I would immediately be like, "Take me! Take me curling! Explain this game to me. I can drink while I play it?!"
    Well that's not advisable - being played on ice, drinking while you play can lead to falling down, which leads to hilarity for others but not for you. But drinking between matches is recommended, almost required.

Richy on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.