As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Android] Thread: The root of all roms - market.android.com now live

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    theres an ur-quan masters port too apparently

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    angband on my phone is basically the best thing. im never going to get anything done ever again.

How does it work? Does it require a keyboard, or does it have shortcuts on screen?

i think you need a keyboard for angband, i havent looked at nethack though

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    EA just released an official Tetris version to the market. It's suprisingly good. Was kind of skeptical about touchscreen-only Tetris but it was certainly a pleasant surprise.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone out there with a phone newer than the HTC/Sprint Hero (e.g. most of you ;p): does posting on these forums still lag the browser?

When I try typing in the reply pane, the letters come up after a rather noticeable delay. Is this non-existent or really short on your phones?

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nothing like that happens when posting from my Evo, but it's still not a very pleasant experience to forum in general. We need some tapatalk support. :)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    it doesnt lag on my epic 4g. its fine, ive never used tapatalk so i dunno if thats better or what, but i dont mind using the forums here on my phone.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Evander on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mts wrote: »
    does anyone have a favorite app installer to sideload stuff?

Android Central has a great side loader app.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't see any lag on the forums but the text does come in quite small

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know how they look on smaller screens, but the forums are fine on my X. Obviously everything is smaller on that screen than my PC's screen, but everything is perfectly readable after a double-tap zoom. No issues with posting replies, either.
    Allforce wrote: »
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Ok, so I've got a little piece of customization that I'm trying to get work.

I'm using LauncherPro, and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to get a dock icon to launch a folder rather than an individual app/shortcut. I basically want a folder with all my games in it with a single button that launches it. Now, I can make that folder as a desktop shortcut, and I can make the dock launch any app, but I can't make the dock launch a folder.

Anyone know of an app or a trick to make it treat a folder as an app?

I have set up exactly what you want to do

Get Apps Organizer (free). Label your games as "Games". Then use Desktop Visualizer to use an Icon to open Apps Organizer and the "Games" label. Voila, one icon on your desk, opens up into all your games. Click back to close.

Edit: Gah never mind you want the dock to launch it, my method for doing it on the desktop might work, let me test and get back here.

Edit2: It works, just long press on the dock space you want, hit "Shortcut", then choose Apps Organizer and Games, then pick the icon. Works exactly as above.

I might use this idea as well, thanks!

This shit needs to be in the OP. Great tip, thank you! Hell, a "useful tips" section might not be such a bad idea if Alegis is willing to keep up with it.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What's everyone use as a media player

I quite like Meridian

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bullio wrote: »
    This shit needs to be in the OP. Great tip, thank you! Hell, a "useful tips" section might not be such a bad idea if Alegis is willing to keep up with it.
    Now hiring Tips n Trickz

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    so the other day at work my phone had 93% time without signal during standby and it fucked my battery right up the ass. i guess the 3g signal there is less than optimal. should i get apndroid to disable 3g while im at work (my phone usually just sits in my locker at work anyway), or is there something better i should use or what?

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    in a locker? It doesn't really need any kind of signal there I suppose.

There are apps that can do automatic stuff based on time of day/GPS/whatever, like turning off mobile internets, or you can just turn your phone into airplane mode (long press power button) when you put it in your locker.

Airplane mode is phone network/interwebs disabled. It won't consume battery at all that way in standby (well, a little bit, but hardly significant). Or if you just want to turn off mobile interwebs it's also in that menu.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    i dont want airplane mode because i still want ot be able to receive calls and texts, i just want to turn off data so its not constantly looking for a 3g signal. i dont see it in the power button menu...

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mine (HTC Desire) says Mobile Network (Connect to Internet is OFF) right under Airplane mode in the power menu.

Additionally if you have a HTC Sense UI thing there should be a mobile network widget. Alternatively check Settings-> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Network

Alegis on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What's everyone use as a media player

I quite like Meridian

I just switched to the EVO and I really like the stock player it comes with. I wish more media apps (pandora, podcasts app) would let you still control your stuff in the locked screen.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i dont want airplane mode because i still want ot be able to receive calls and texts, i just want to turn off data so its not constantly looking for a 3g signal. i dont see it in the power button menu...

Check this guy out.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll do you one better and suggest this: http://www.appbrain.com/app/quick-settings/com.bwx.bequick

It's got an option to turn off your 3G separately from WiFi or Airplane mode. So you can get calls and texts but data will be off completely.

Also try turning off Active Sync at work (there's a setting in Quick Settings app as well for this), that's likely what's using the 3G so much as your phone is constantly trying to update Twitter/Facebook/Gmail, etc.

Allforce on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really like Extended Controls. It costs about a dollar if memory serves, but it's a fully customizable toggle widget. Pretty nice, and has a lot of options.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'll do you one better and suggest this: http://www.appbrain.com/app/quick-settings/com.bwx.bequick

It's got an option to turn off your 3G separately from WiFi or Airplane mode. So you can get calls and texts but data will be off completely.

Also try turning off Active Sync at work (there's a setting in Quick Settings app as well for this), that's likely what's using the 3G so much as your phone is constantly trying to update Twitter/Facebook/Gmail, etc.

i have auto sync turned off, thats not what it is. theres a known issue with the epic 4g where sometimes it wont hold a 3g signal right and will constantly search for a 3g signal. if you look under settings at the battery usage your standby battery usage will be through the roof, and your time without signal will be 50%+. mine was like 90% the other day D:

i got an update today and my phone didnt do this thing after the update, so hopefully its fixed now. if not i downloaded Quick Settings, so i can just disable data altogether when i dont need it.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I like Quick Settings because you can just set it to be an icon in your taskbar and not a huge widget with toggles taking up screen space. Its as easy as pulling down the menu and selecting it, it's even got a flashlight toggle built in.

Allforce on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

i have auto sync turned off, thats not what it is. theres a known issue with the epic 4g where sometimes it wont hold a 3g signal right and will constantly search for a 3g signal. if you look under settings at the battery usage your standby battery usage will be through the roof, and your time without signal will be 50%+. mine was like 90% the other day D:

i got an update today and my phone didnt do this thing after the update, so hopefully its fixed now. if not i downloaded Quick Settings, so i can just disable data altogether when i dont need it.

as someone who was a product manager for a telecom company on their 3g/4g offerings - 4g coverage isn't there yet, and searching for signal is an incredibly energy intensive process. Yes, great speeds when you can get it, but you practically have to be standing next to a tower.

Joe K on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Joe K wrote: »

as someone who was a product manager for a telecom company on their 3g/4g offerings - 4g coverage isn't there yet, and searching for signal is an incredibly energy intensive process. Yes, great speeds when you can get it, but you practically have to be standing next to a tower.

again this is specifically a 3g issue on the epic 4g phone. i get fine 4g coverage around where i live.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

again this is specifically a 3g issue on the epic 4g phone. i get fine 4g coverage around where i live.

all the 3g chipsets are exactly the same, and are made by qualcomm. sounds like an internal antennae problem. If you're lucky its a search algorithm problem, and will be able to be fixed in software... If its teh antenna, sorry.

Joe K on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey, quick easy question.

Can the various media apps pipe their audio into a bluetooth phone headset?

yalborap on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yalborap wrote: »

The short answer: Probably

The marginally longer answer: Depends on the app, but if its coded decently then see: the short answer.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

The marginally longer answer: Depends on the app, but if its coded decently then see: the short answer.

Don't suppose you know if Pandora, Youtube, and Google Listen can?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

It's weird, you would suspect that bluetooth would be better integrated, and I know that it was intentionally gimped by Verizon in the Droid, but you can't do simple things like voice recognition through it, you still need to use the on board mic.

The only way that I've heard music is through onboard speaker, or out the 3/4" RCA.

Joe K on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

It's weird, you would suspect that bluetooth would be better integrated, and I know that it was intentionally gimped by Verizon in the Droid, but you can't do simple things like voice recognition through it, you still need to use the on board mic.

The only way that I've heard music is through onboard speaker, or out the 3/4" RCA.

There should be some way to do it. I can stream audio from my Droid X through bluetooth into the Sync system in my Ford Focus. The ability to do it is there, but I don't know how to do it with a headset.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Bullio wrote: »

There should be some way to do it. I can stream audio from my Droid X through bluetooth into the Sync system in my Ford Focus. The ability to do it is there, but I don't know how to do it with a headset.

Who knows? I have no idea how much Verizon gimped the DroidX bluetooth, but with the magic bootloader, i would expect worse than the Droid.

But yes, I see no reason why all audio can't be done using bluetooth headsets. But, it just doesnt work on my droid, and I've tried.

Guess I could write an app to see if i could redirect it...

Joe K on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am absolutely certain pandora can be streamed through bluetooth, because I've done it. Just checked google listen and that works too.

Doesn't look like you can do the voice search via mic, although it prompts me to enter voice input if I hit the call button on my bluetooth headset. I've never actually gone on to actually see if that works, since I've always hit that button on accident when I've been trying to skip a song instead.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://www.boingboing.net/2010/10/05/t-mobile-sneaks-root.html

The G2 doesn't look so hot suddenly....

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    End wrote: »
    I am absolutely certain pandora can be streamed through bluetooth, because I've done it. Just checked google listen and that works too.

Doesn't look like you can do the voice search via mic, although it prompts me to enter voice input if I hit the call button on my bluetooth headset. I've never actually gone on to actually see if that works, since I've always hit that button on accident when I've been trying to skip a song instead.

I just tried Pandora through my bluetooth headset (that I've been making calls with all morning), and it went right to the onboard speaker. Was there something special that you did?

Joe K on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I wonder if that's just for the T-Mo version, or for all Desire Z's.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    is there a menu somewhere that will show me my battery percentage? not the battery usage percentage, but the percentage left on my charge.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    is there a menu somewhere that will show me my battery percentage? not the battery usage percentage, but the percentage left on my charge.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/battstatt-free/net.bajawa.battery

just get this

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I wonder if that's just for the T-Mo version, or for all Desire Z's.

That was my first question.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

http://www.appbrain.com/app/battstatt-free/net.bajawa.battery

just get this

That one is pretty cool. I use that on one page and

http://www.appbrain.com/app/battery-widget/com.leo.android.widget.battery

that little guy on my front home page.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Guess what is finally released next week....
    thumb_550_angry-birds-update.PNG

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]