As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Android] Thread: The root of all roms - market.android.com now live

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Depends on the level.

Sometimes you just rumble. Sometimes you have to capture target locations. Sometimes you have to get to a specific location without weapons, moving strategically etc. You get different Autobots in different levels, some close combat, some ranged, a healer, some can spawn units etc. Variation on speed and combat strength / defense between units too.

Nothing complicated, and the controls can be clunky, but some of the sounds and visuals are classic TF which makes it fun if you get nostalgic for that stuff. The 3D combat scenes (in game semi-cinematic fights) look cool the first few times. Glad I paid for it, not finished it yet, but certainly will try to. It isn't very hard up to where I am currently.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i bought that uniwar game, i guess i need to set up some kind of username in it but if any of you dudes want to throw down on some strategery im into it.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Me @ UniWar = Ancient

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To send a text via google voice, I just go through Contacts, yeah?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    one day all touch screens will be made with graphene and the world will be perfect.

And by perfect you mean incredibly mechanically fragile right?

The words "stronger than steel" makes you think of fragile?

Like how I can't break spiderwebs with my hands?

(I'm a research Physicist. Graphene has wonderful electronic properties, but it's a monolayer of carbon, it is very fragile.)
    Transparent conducting electrodes

Graphene's high electrical conductivity and high optical transparency make it a candidate for transparent conducting electrodes, required for such applications as touchscreens, liquid crystal displays, organic photovoltaic cells, and organic light-emitting diodes. In particular, graphene's mechanical strength and flexibility are advantageous compared to indium tin oxide, which is brittle, and graphene films may be deposited from solution over large areas.[118][119]

Large-area, continuous, transparent, and highly conducting few-layered graphene films were produced by chemical vapor deposition and used as anodes for application in photovoltaic devices. A power conversion efficiency (PCE) up to 1.71% was demonstrated, which is 55.2% of the PCE of a control device based on indium-tin-oxide.[120]
    Typically, transparent electrodes used in such applications are made from indium tin oxides (ITO). The researchers say that the graphene electrode has better transparency and is tougher. 'The price of indium has increased by a few times over the past decades and this will be more serious as markets for display and solar cells expand,' says Ahn.'In addition, oxide materials like ITO are usually fragile and weak.' Because of this, ITO-based touchscreens have a finite life span, whereas, says Ahn, a graphene-based screen should last essentially forever.
    http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2010/June/20061001.asp

Langly on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    What's the big deal with having root access? I get that you can use mods but what do mods do that apps can't?

Some apps need root access for full functionality. Some mods get around the ways some carriers will limit/cripple the hardware. It also lets you remove the bloatware carriers put on a phone.
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    ahhh one more thing!

I want a phone that works overseas when I travel. I understand that I will need a GSM phone, but what's the deal with SIM cards? Do I just turn my phone on when the airplane lands and it will work or do I need to go to a local carrier shop and set up a short term contract/sim card? I think this means I need my phone unlocked, yes?

I've never done it myself, but I swear that I've read of people picking up a prepaid sim card at the airport in the country they landed in and just sticking it into their sim card using phone.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To send a text via google voice, I just go through Contacts, yeah?

To send text messages through google voice, use the google voice app. Menu key -> compose, or if you've already got some text conversations you can just tap into it from the main screen and start typing.

As has been mentioned, GVoice texting does not instantly sync. You might receive texts hours after they were sent. Overall GVoice texting isn't nearly as pleasurably integrated into the system as GVoice calling...

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone with a Softbank Desire having problems with symbols showing up? Texting a friend with a normal Softbank phone, but the replies come back with boxes where (I'm guessing) the ?s and !s go. Or is that something I'm going to have to suck up?

This is with both the normal SMS and Handcent.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone with a Softbank Desire having problems with symbols showing up? Texting a friend with a normal Softbank phone, but the replies come back with boxes where (I'm guessing) the ?s and !s go. Or is that something I'm going to have to suck up?

This is with both the normal SMS and Handcent.

You probably need the Softbank MMS app. You can get it from the App Store for free, but prepare for a headache. >.<

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Transparent conducting electrodes

Graphene's high electrical conductivity and high optical transparency make it a candidate for transparent conducting electrodes, required for such applications as touchscreens, liquid crystal displays, organic photovoltaic cells, and organic light-emitting diodes. In particular, graphene's mechanical strength and flexibility are advantageous compared to indium tin oxide, which is brittle, and graphene films may be deposited from solution over large areas.[118][119]

Large-area, continuous, transparent, and highly conducting few-layered graphene films were produced by chemical vapor deposition and used as anodes for application in photovoltaic devices. A power conversion efficiency (PCE) up to 1.71% was demonstrated, which is 55.2% of the PCE of a control device based on indium-tin-oxide.[120]
    Typically, transparent electrodes used in such applications are made from indium tin oxides (ITO). The researchers say that the graphene electrode has better transparency and is tougher. 'The price of indium has increased by a few times over the past decades and this will be more serious as markets for display and solar cells expand,' says Ahn.'In addition, oxide materials like ITO are usually fragile and weak.' Because of this, ITO-based touchscreens have a finite life span, whereas, says Ahn, a graphene-based screen should last essentially forever.
    http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2010/June/20061001.asp

Yes, it can flex better than ITO (which aside from being optically transparent is not so useful), but it is still a monolayer of carbon atoms. Right now, people are gushing over graphene to solve every electrical and mechanical issue in the world which relies on the super-science of making large perfect sheets of it and securing them in some way which supports it mechanically without detracting from its properties. Making mass marketable devices from graphene which would not be incredibly fragile requires a real change in device fabrication methods.

I'm aware of the various press releases, but the link you've quoted is the same as the recent article in the FT claiming quantum computers in five or ten years. It's the press misinterpreting facts in a manner which is exactly analogous to the fact that spiderwebs have better tensile strength than an equal mass of steel but with increased flexibility.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so hey, weird bug with handcent on my epic: When I recieve a text message and I go to my lock screen, an icon will pop up on the bottom informing me that I have X new messages. There's a lock icon in the middle of the screen, and normally you slide it up to unlock the phone. Well if you slide it over the message icon, it'll let you go straight to your new text messages.

Only problem is it doesn't remove the "X new messages" icon the next time you visit the lock screen. If I use the default text messaging app on the phone (i.e. the one pre-installed) then the icon disappears. But if I set handcent as my text app, it won't vanish. Eventually I wind up with an icon that says, like "47 new text messages" because they never vanish.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Well shit, new problem too. I accidentally set AndroidText (the default text app) BACK to being the preferred app for texts, and now I can't figure out how to make handcent the preferred app. Any ideas?

EDIT AGAIN: Ok, figured out how to set preferred apps, in case anybody has the same problem

go to settings, then apps, then manage apps. Now this is where I got tripped up, by default, it only shows downloaded apps in this window, so click menu, then click 'show all'. Now scroll to the app which handles this shit ("messages" in this case) and scroll down to "defaults." Click "Clear defaults" and then relaunch the program you want to use as your preferred app (handcent in my case). It'll prompt you, asking if you want to make that your preferred app. Click yes.

How obtuse for an otherwise excellent mobile OS.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know nothing about modding for Android and what not so I figure I'd ask here.

Anyone know of a neat Venture Brothers [preferably monarch but not picky] or Metalacolpyse themes for the Evo 4?

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    BaiconBaicon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My BB kicked the bucket and I've been looking into getting an android. However the pickings are pretty slim in Canada. I was looking into getting the Captivate here but Rogers is telling me it's going to be another 3 weeks before it's out. I'm thinking of ordering a phone online from the States and unlocking it. Does anyone have any advice on where I should order?

Baicon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Holy damn, I think I'm in love with this Uniwar game. Ancient I sent you an invite. If anyone else wants some sweet mutiplayer tbs on their phone get this thing and hit me up. My name on there is the same as my name here.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Baicon wrote: »
    My BB kicked the bucket and I've been looking into getting an android. However the pickings are pretty slim in Canada. I was looking into getting the Captivate here but Rogers is telling me it's going to be another 3 weeks before it's out. I'm thinking of ordering a phone online from the States and unlocking it. Does anyone have any advice on where I should order?

You might as well order the Bell one and then unlock it, the unlocking software is free on the app store. Keep your money in country and all that.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know nothing about modding for Android and what not so I figure I'd ask here.

Anyone know of a neat Venture Brothers [preferably monarch but not picky] or Metalacolpyse themes for the Evo 4?

Take a look on Zedge it's a free app with tons of shared wallpapers and ringtones

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BestBuy and Futureshop even have them.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tweetdeck is out of beta! It's ok, I guess, but coming from Seesmic it seems a little clunky. Plus, the widgets are pretty much a joke.

Dedian on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I've had 3 defective G1s in a row, and now T-Mobile is offering me a Motorola Cliq in exchange. Should I go for it? Is it any good?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Plain Cliq? Junk

The Cliq XT is kinda nice and the new Moto is neat (but kinda clunky lookin to me). The plain ol' Cliq is pretty poopy

edit: but the plain Cliq is probably still better than your G1. Spec-wise at least. What's wrong with your G?

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spudge wrote: »
    Plain Cliq? Junk

The Cliq XT is kinda nice and the new Moto is neat (but kinda clunky lookin to me). The plain ol' Cliq is pretty poopy

edit: but the plain Cliq is probably still better than your G1. Spec-wise at least. What's wrong with your G?

First G1 refused to update to 1.6, second one was glitchy as shit until it just up and bricked, third one GPS doesn't work and it has a dead pixel. I looked at the Cliq in the store and the screen is smaller, and the build quality doesn't seem to be as good as the G1, but if it ends up finally getting that 2.1 update that has been promised would it end up more than balancing out?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well honestly you could try one last time for a working G1, then put CyanogenMod on it. I'm running CM6 (2.2 Froyo) on my G1 and, apart from some slowness at random times, I love it.

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well honestly you could try one last time for a working G1, then put CyanogenMod on it. I'm running CM6 (2.2 Froyo) on my G1 and, apart from some slowness at random times, I love it.

I would rather not root.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well the Cliq is better than the G1, spec-wise. The MotoBLUR on it is atrocious though - it's much better in later versions.

See if you can guilt them into giving you a Cliq XT. At least that way you're still in the running for 2.1/2.2/etc and it's a much better phone than the Cliq

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well the Cliq is better than the G1, spec-wise. The MotoBLUR on it is atrocious though - it's much better in later versions.

See if you can guilt them into giving you a Cliq XT. At least that way you're still in the running for 2.1/2.2/etc and it's a much better phone than the Cliq

I won't get a non-slider phone.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well then apart from paying up for a MyTouch 3G Slide or G2, the Cliq is your only shot other than another G1 on T-Mobile

I just really can't recommend a Cliq

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well then apart from paying up for a MyTouch 3G Slide or G2, the Cliq is your only shot other than another G1 on T-Mobile

I just really can't recommend a Cliq

Yeah I played with the Cliq in the store, it was off but I felt up the hardware, and I didn't like it. But would you say that that a Cliq with 2.1 makes up for a better built G1 with only 1.6?

What are feelings on the MyTouch Slide?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't really think 2.1 can make up for the Cliq's shortcomings - they're just too much for an OS update to clear. Probably a good reason why the phone isn't really sold by TMo anymore (unless they're refurbs)

The MyTouch Slide is a great little phone. It's a little on the hefty side (nothing to worry about coming from a G1). The sliding mechanism is strong and shouldn't give you any issues. It does however come preloaded with a bunch of apps you're probably not going to use, though it does have 2.1 and when 2.2 comes you should be able to rectify any memory issues you run into

I'd recommend the MyTouch Slide. Strong battery, beautiful screen, usable interface (LOVE Sense!), not a lot of cons on this phone

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't really think 2.1 can make up for the Cliq's shortcomings - they're just too much for an OS update to clear. Probably a good reason why the phone isn't really sold by TMo anymore (unless they're refurbs)

The MyTouch Slide is a great little phone. It's a little on the hefty side (nothing to worry about coming from a G1). The sliding mechanism is strong and shouldn't give you any issues. It does however come preloaded with a bunch of apps you're probably not going to use, though it does have 2.1 and when 2.2 comes you should be able to rectify any memory issues you run into

I'd recommend the MyTouch Slide. Strong battery, beautiful screen, usable interface (LOVE Sense!), not a lot of cons on this phone

Any recommended places to pick one up, or am I eBay bound? If so, what should I expect to pay for it? I'd rather not pony up 430+tax in store for one.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'd say keep an eye on your local Craigslist, eBay, Amazon etc. A lot of MT3G owners are selling off their phones for the new G2

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'd say keep an eye on your local Craigslist, eBay, Amazon etc. A lot of MT3G owners are selling off their phones for the new G2

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mob/2003917020.html How's that look? I've never used CL before, little wary from all the horror stories I've heard.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mob/2003917020.html How's that look? I've never used CL before, little wary from all the horror stories I've heard.

Best thing to do, give them a call. At the worst, they've already sold it

Buying off CL isn't bad, you just gotta weed out the obvious scammers - this ad doesn't strike me as one as they posted a local number and non-stock photos. Just go check it out and put it through its paces (Boot it, open/close it a bunch, check for screen damage, open and close apps, etc)

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Buying off CL isn't bad, you just gotta weed out the obvious scammers - this ad doesn't strike me as one as they posted a local number and non-stock photos. Just go check it out and put it through its paces (Boot it, open/close it a bunch, check for screen damage, open and close apps, etc)

Should we meet at a neutral place, you know so they can't rob me or anything? Disneyland is between us, we could probably meet at the boardwalk there. Also I can always transfer my insurance onto it for minor issues.

Edit: Would it be rude to take a photograph? I'm not saying be stealth about it or anything, but just be matter of fact and say as politely as possible, "This is in case you try to fuck me and sell me a broken or stolen phone, I have your picture for the cops."

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I won't get a non-slider phone.

have you tried swype?

I know, I know, it sounds awful to give up the physical keyboard, but with larger screens and tools like swype, it really isn't as bad as it seems

Evander on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Should we meet at a neutral place, you know so they can't rob me or anything? Disneyland is between us, we could probably meet at the boardwalk there. Also I can always transfer my insurance onto it for minor issues.

Edit: Would it be rude to take a photograph? I'm not saying be stealth about it or anything, but just be matter of fact and say as politely as possible, "This is in case you try to fuck me and sell me a broken or stolen phone, I have your picture for the cops."

I mean you've got their phone number and their email address, you don't need to be that paranoid and take their photo. Maybe jot down their license plate number when you roll up if you're that worried?

Shit I bought a hacked cable box off a guy from Craig's List, met at a Walmart parking lot. It was sketchy looking but I made the guy follow me back to my house to hook it up and test it out. Worked fine but his wife was a little pissed having to ride along.

You'll be fine, 99% of the shit you hear about Craigs List is bunk.

Allforce on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What would you guys recommend for an upgrade to the MicroSD card in my Evo? Price isn't really an object but stability would be.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What would you guys recommend for an upgrade to the MicroSD card in my Evo? Price isn't really an object but stability would be.

whats it got now?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Allforce wrote: »

I mean you've got their phone number and their email address, you don't need to be that paranoid and take their photo. Maybe jot down their license plate number when you roll up if you're that worried?

Shit I bought a hacked cable box off a guy from Craig's List, met at a Walmart parking lot. It was sketchy looking but I made the guy follow me back to my house to hook it up and test it out. Worked fine but his wife was a little pissed having to ride along.

You'll be fine, 99% of the shit you hear about Craigs List is bunk.

Quoted for troof. Craigslist isn't the hellhole some make it out to be. I think I transact through CL at least twice a month, and have never had any problems. But yeah. You have his contact info so there's very little to worry about

T Happy: If you have a plain ol' SD card, moving to an SDHC will make a difference. Try to find one that's class 6 or higher to see some real speed

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I finally join the ranks of Android users. Today I bought myself an HTC Legend. I have a question about it though. I synced up Gmail with my phone so that it will alert me when I have new email. My problem is that it also synced up every person I've ever emailed with my Gmail account. Is there a way to unsync them?

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Looks like samsung released 2.2 for the galaxy s phones, so theoretically official carrier sanctioned versions should be en route very soon

Ah_Pook on