As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A New Resident On My Back Porch

TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay this is a long one. This summer a small cat brought her kittens onto our enclosed porch. I told my mother to leave them alone.

She didn't.

So she fed Ms. Kitty for a week, then the little cat decided to take her kittens elsewhere, but still come around to get fed.

At this point my mom stopped feeding her.

We have no idea what happened to the kittens.

Well 2 and a half months later...

And Ms. Kitty has shown back up and made a home for herself on our back porch. I keep shooing her away. We have tried a trap but she won't take the bait.

We can't get anywhere near her without her freaking out and trying to bite or scratch, but at the same time we can't get the little bitch to go away.

Now, we have a complaint directed at us from a neighbor. The owners of these apartments, who have a strict no pets rule, said we have to get rid of the cat or get charged 100 dollars. We explained, its not our cat, and we have been trying to get rid of it for a week.

So how do i get rid of this cat?

P.s. I do not wish any harm to the cat. I just want the cat to go elsewhere, so we don't get fined for it.

Talkc on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Call your local animal services. As much as it sucks, she's not really your responsibility. If your landlord tries to fine you for a stray making it's home on your porch, offer to solve it in small claims court because there's no way a judge in their right mind would find that legal (you may have luck with your local renters association too).

Better yet, tell your landlord to call animal services.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Call your local animal services. As much as it sucks, she's not really your responsibility. If your landlord tries to fine you for a stray making it's home on your porch, offer to solve it in small claims court because there's no way a judge in their right mind would find that legal (you may have luck with your local renters association too).

Is that like Animal Control or something?

Cause we called them and they told us to set the trap. If i had any clue that they could just come and get the fucking cat, i would have had them do that first.

Going to call them.

Talkc on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

If they have any proof she was feeding her then it's totally reasonable to fine her for having a pet.

Consider getting some of that smelly cat-repellent stuff, maybe?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

If they have any proof she was feeding her then it's totally reasonable to fine her for having a pet.

Consider getting some of that smelly cat-repellent stuff, maybe?

I told her over and over not to feed that fucking cat. This is why im pissed off. She was like "but she has kittens!"

I told her to box the kittens up and take them to the shelter. Nope, she wouldnt do that either. She put the kittens in a box, with towels as a bed.. then the crazy mother cat just ran off with all of them.

So then my mother gets all upset and stops feeding the stupid cat. Cat dissapeared, and i thought it was the end of the problem.

Cat was in the backyard this morning, meowing.

I turned the sprinklers on and ran it off.

Now its in our garden again.

I can see it out my damn window.

Told her not to feed that god damned cat.

EDIT: Woohoo! Animal Control said they would send somone down here to collect the cat!

Good riddance you miserable little beast!

Talkc on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    :^: that's the end of that, let the landlord know that you called animal control to get the cat. This way he knows it wasn't intentional.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Out of curiosity, how old would the kittens be now? Because you may have just doomed the little guys if they're not old enough to get by on their own.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how old would the kittens be now? Because you may have just doomed the little guys if they're old enough to get by on their own.

That's the obvious downside. Chances are the kittens are nearby too, though, so letting animal control know about it may net them catching the kittens. Probably very close.

bowen on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He said 2.5 months later so they're roughly 10 weeks I'm assuming. Most kittens go to new homes at 12 weeks but I don't know how well they'd be able to survive in the wild for. Hopefully they'll look for the kittens so that they get them off the street before they start reproducing.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It looks like Animal Control is coming to bail you out, which is awesome. On traps:

There's a bit of a misconception that you just set the trap and wait a few hours and then bang, animal is in the trap. Animals are very wary about changes to the environment, and about going into things in general. It can take a few weeks of a trap being in a spot for an animal to feel comfortable entering it, and even then if you keep messing with it/moving it too much the animal will never go in. It gets tough because you need to keep the bait fresh, but then need to put the trap in exactly the same spot every time. It helps to put the trap in a corner or along a wall so the animal feels less exposed.

I'm sure you can talk to the Animal Control person about this some more if you want. It's pretty fascinating how much planning it takes to convince an animal to override its instincts for delicious food.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well. Animal Control came by. They cornered her... grabbed her with that loop thingy.. then caged her in the truck.

They then looked across the neighborhood for the next hour.

They found 6 of the kittens. There were 7 of them.

No clue where number 7 was, but they gave up looking.

Yea... they were at the houses across the street. Turns out Ms. Kitty was being fed by the woman across the street. But she was happy for the animal control people who came to get the kittens.

I informed management that the cat was taken care of.

The woman was really snippy.

I love these apartments, but they are run by assholes.

Talkc on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What'd she say? Make sure to write that down and the times you called, and who you talked to.

bowen on