As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

• CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's a ridiculously low price for a game that will last you at least 50 hours.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah buy Kings Bounty. That game is so much fun and the price per entertainment point can't be beat!

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Catshade wrote: »
    24-hour promo: King's Bounty: The Legend for $2.49

A damn fine price on a damn fine game.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the heads up on that offer. I was contemplating another good offer for the whole pack of King's Bounty titles, but the original will more than suffice from what I've heard.

Genuinely love GOG.com, and whilst I feel like I'm writing a testimonial for their front page, I'm consistently impressed by their successful attempts to get into my wallet/pants.

Silent Tristero on
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I actually rebought King's Bounty - got it in one of the Steam bundles, but realised that this is the perfect game to play on a low-powered laptop completely isolated from the internet.

I scoff at people who rebuy games on Steam 'for the convenience', but will gladly do so for GoG. Complete hypocrisy, but I really do place a lot of weight on the 'No DRM' thing.

Bioptic on
  • faludifaludi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anybody know if King's Bounty purchased through GoG can be activated in Steam? I'm all sorts of new to this PC gaming thang.

faludi on
    camo_sig2.png
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    faludi wrote: »
    Anybody know if King's Bounty purchased through GoG can be activated in Steam? I'm all sorts of new to this PC gaming thang.

Nope. Apart from quite a small sub-set of games, the answer is usually no, but nothing can be registered from GoG on Steam simply because none of them have any serial numbers. DRM free = download the installer and run it, nothing else required. Since it doesn't need the CD though, there's nothing stopping you from installing it and then adding it to your Steam Library list ('Games'->'Add a non-Steam game to my library' in the Steam browser) - it'll then run just like any other Steam game.

Bioptic on
  • faludifaludi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That makes an unbelievable amount of sense.

Thanks.

faludi on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would add a zero to that price tag and still call it a good deal. Although the combat itself suffers a little bit in terms of lack of tactics (having more creatures/dudes than the other guy is pretty much a requirement to win a lot of battles) the sense of progression in the game is really rewarding. You'll come across objectives and enemies really early on that you won't be able to stand a chance against for at least another 20 hours, so when you finally best them it's kinda awesome.

I put it down about 30-35 hours in, but I think I got my $9.99 worth :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    KB: legends is truly a great game. Where else you can ditch your (bought) zombie girlfriend to marry a succubus?
    :winky:

Oh and the main gameplay is fun as well. I've played 50+ hours on legends and 12 hours in crossworlds enhanced armored princess.

Both are good, but I prefer the legends as it makes you work for getting better units.
    It was fun sneaking deep behind enemy lines, surrounded by overwhelming enemy armies, just to get into a new recruitment center, where new (and better) troops are available.

Armored princess has much more troop choices and hands them out like candy.
    The first small island in it, must have had half the amount troops choices of the first game available, which makes most of them irrelevant. But its still fun.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Plus the game looks beautiful in stills or in motion

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not sure why you would want to add a GOG game to Steam, anyways.

captaink on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Some people use it as their general game launcher.

Glal on
    edited February 2011
    Well you can do that with any program, you just can't activate it on steam.

captaink on
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New release: Police Quest: SWAT 1+2

Catshade on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So is swat 1 a point and click and 2 a tactical iso?

jammu wrote: »
    KB: legends is truly a great game. Where else you can ditch your (bought) zombie girlfriend to marry a succubus?
    :winky:

Oh and the main gameplay is fun as well. I've played 50+ hours on legends and 12 hours in crossworlds enhanced armored princess.

Both are good, but I prefer the legends as it makes you work for getting better units.
    It was fun sneaking deep behind enemy lines, surrounded by overwhelming enemy armies, just to get into a new recruitment center, where new (and better) troops are available.

Armored princess has much more troop choices and hands them out like candy.
    The first small island in it, must have had half the amount troops choices of the first game available, which makes most of them irrelevant. But its still fun.

I posit that marriage is not used as a gameplay mechanic in enough games.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So is swat 1 a point and click and 2 a tactical iso?

No, 1 isn't really a point and click game. It's a full on FMV game and has more in common with Dragon's Lair than Police Quest. I really enjoyed it back in the day, but I haven't played it since the late 90's and most people seem to think it's terrible nowadays, so buy at your own risk.

I think SWAT 2 was a tactical isometric game, yes, but I never played it.

Sir Carcass on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bioptic wrote: »
    I actually rebought King's Bounty - got it in one of the Steam bundles, but realised that this is the perfect game to play on a low-powered laptop completely isolated from the internet.

I scoff at people who rebuy games on Steam 'for the convenience', but will gladly do so for GoG. Complete hypocrisy, but I really do place a lot of weight on the 'No DRM' thing.

I can play games on steam without internet. Just had to set it to offline mode at least once while having a connection. Now I'm at a new apartment, completely internet free, and spent many hours playing Darksiders on steam last night.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Catshade wrote: »

PQ Swat 1 is a really fucking horrendous excuse of an "action FMV Adventure" game.
    PQ Swat 2 is a forgettable kinda bad squad tactics RTS thingy.

Don't get them.

SWAT 3 and 4 are good squad tactical FPS games.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2011
    captaink wrote: »
    Well you can do that with any program, you just can't activate it on steam.
    Yeah, but keeping track of all the games is such a problem if it's not registered and you lose your HD you'll forget you own it herp derp #firstworldproblems.
    I dunno, not very fond of Steam so I only use it when I really must. Last thing I want to do is have Steam eating up resources for games without DRM.

Glal on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PQ Swat 1 is a really fucking horrendous excuse of an "action FMV Adventure" game.

My point is proven. :D

Sir Carcass on
    edited February 2011
    I remember having a pretty sweet time with PQ Swat 2 back in the day. It's of course about diffusing the situation, arresting suspects and minimising civilian casualties and collateral damage, but you're also given the ability to break a window where the offending subjects (and their hostages) are hiding and pump it full of tear gas then shoot anyone who comes out the front door.

That took a long time to get tired of because your team and boss are screaming at you not to open fire on civilians etc :D

The enemy AI is really quite good and you can hand-pick a squad and equipment, but now that I've discovered Jagged Alliance 2 it makes this game seem really tame in comparison

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had no idea the Swat games were related to the Police Quest games. Or is that in name only? I liked Swat 2 way back when. I remember you got in trouble if you just blasted a guy without ordering him to surrender first. That led to a lot of dead cops, where I'd bust in, click the button to yell at them, and get shot before I could click the gun and click the man. I ended up just flooding places with attack dogs.

PolloDiablo on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, SWAT was the next Police Quest game after 4, taking it in a slightly different direction. After that it basically became its own franchise.

Sir Carcass on
  • Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had no idea the Swat games were related to the Police Quest games. Or is that in name only? I liked Swat 2 way back when. I remember you got in trouble if you just blasted a guy without ordering him to surrender first. That led to a lot of dead cops, where I'd bust in, click the button to yell at them, and get shot before I could click the gun and click the man. I ended up just flooding places with attack dogs.

The first two swat games were "spinoffs" of the police quest series. When the third game changed to a FPS they dropped the name.

I remember playing the demo for swat 2 a lot, back when demos were small enough you got CDs with dozens of them in magazines. But yeah that´s the trouble I had and pretty much everyone else I heard talking about the game, you were expected to do a lot of clicking in a very short amount of time.

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Death_Claw wrote: »
    I remember playing the demo for swat 2 a lot, back when demos were small enough you got CDs with dozens of them in magazines.

Oh man, those were the days :) I remember getting an issue of PC Gamer with a massive feature of Quake that came with the Quake demo. Played the shit outta that!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I remember playing the demo for swat 2 a lot, back when demos were small enough you got CDs with dozens of them in magazines.

Oh man, those were the days :) I remember getting an issue of PC Gamer with a massive feature of Quake that came with the Quake demo. Played the shit outta that!

And back farther on floppy disc.

Jazz Jackrabbit, Jill of the Jungle, Whacky Wheels and Monster Mash shareware all in one week's magazine?

That was a wonderful school holiday.

Kelor on
    edited February 2011
    I think I played that demo of Whacky Wheels more than any Mario Kart iteration

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I think I played that demo of Whacky Wheels more than any Mario Kart iteration

The coop mode from the demo was my game of choice for quite a while when friends where over.

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Well Apogee Software own the rights to Whacky Wheels so I'm crossing my fingers and holding my breath for a GOG release.

Shit you can still buy the full release as a download title in DOSBox from the 3DRealms website for 6 bucks...

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    All Tex Murphy games are 60% off this weekend, and I cannot recommend them enough. I´m just gonna copy a post I just put on the steam thread about the games to give and idea...

I bought all the games when they were 50% off during the holiday sale. I had only played Pandora when I was around 13-14, I always considered it to be the best adventure game I ever played, my avatar is a proof of this. I tought nostalgia had something to do with it, but having replayed it recently and even tough it didn´t age all that well I still maintain my position. UAKM is still good, just not as good as Pandora, and I still have to play Oversser, but it is on my priority list of my backlog.

I remember playing Pandora and competing with my brother, who was 20 at the time, to see who would finish first. I was always on the lead but then I got to
    Area 51 and that damn alien entity chasing me
    and it scared the shit out of me, really it was the only game that actually made me stop playing from being so scared. I had to actually see him play it first before being able to do it myself. Had to rush a lot after that to regain my lead. I would also help my sister who was always behind us. For the tougher puzzles, like the one you had to convert dates to the mayan calendar, we would all get together to try to solve them. I remember that in this puzzle in particular we spent a couple of days doing and redoing the math until we realized we had forgot about leap years and the extra day, still great fun and the satisfaction of finally figuring it out is something I can´t remember other game ever comparing with. I think the only other games that got us all together like this were Mario 1 and 3.[/QUOTE]

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Kelor wrote: »
    And back farther on floppy disc.
    Jazz Jackrabbit, Jill of the Jungle, Whacky Wheels and Monster Mash shareware all in one week's magazine?
    That was a wonderful school holiday.
    Hello, 50% of my childhood, how are you?
    That and Commander Keen.

Glal on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gonna hop on that nostalgia train. I can't see Jazz Jackrabbit mentioned without a twinge of "I wish I was 7 again" popping up. As a kid, just figuring out and remembering the DOS prompts to launch titles was a game of its own. Stupid Windows 95 and not being able to play stuff in Windows mode.

I still have some crazy shareware CD I got as a kid, everything from Doom to Quake to Sim City on it. Think I got it at the same time I got Death Rally. Remedy are heroes for releasing it free of charge, and fully functional on Win7.

Now why the hell isn't Jazz on GoG? If they can only have one Epic series, then they should trade off Unreal for it.

Also hoping S.W.A.T. 3/4 get on there, along with more Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six titles. Wouldn't mind some more of the old "sim shooter" stuff.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    All Tex Murphy games are 60% off this weekend, and I cannot recommend them enough.

Thanks for the heads-up. Been looking for an excuse to check these out for awhile - $15 for all of them seems too good to pass up.

It seems like the general opinion is to skip over the first 2 games (for now, at least) and start with Under a Killing Moon. Is that pretty sound advice?

Captain Tragedy on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I played Martian Memorandum many years after UAKM and never lost anything. They're all basically self contained stories with overall character development in common. I had Mean Streets way back in the day but could never get into it. UAKM and PD are awesome, and I never got a chance to play Overseer.

I would so buy these if I hadn't just dropped $40 on TDU2. I have UAKM and PD on CD, but they're pretty scratched and have seen better days.

Sir Carcass on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just noticed they have origional war here. That alone is enough to get me to sign up. Does anyone know if this is a world wide service? Can I use it in NZ with no problems?

Casual on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Casual wrote: »
    I just noticed they have origional war here. That alone is enough to get me to sign up. Does anyone know if this is a world wide service? Can I use it in NZ with no problems?

Yes. It's not even an American company, they're in Poland or something. Some people have trouble with credit cards being refused because of this, but they do accept Paypal and that always works.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Took a crack at Age of Wonders tonight. Lovely setup, GoG got it to work widescreen, which is fantastic. Did the tutorial, which was refreshingly quick.

Moved on to the campaign, Keeper side. I spent a few turns traipsing about, recruiting halfling towns and other junk on the ground. Then two stacks of goblins show up. I sent my 7 units down to face their 16, and got pasted. And I guess losing your hero loses the map, so that was all a loss.

This game might be tricky.

captaink on
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Another 24-hour deal: Tropico Reloaded for $3.99

Catshade on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SWAT 2 is a great fucking game, and easily my favorite in the series.

NickTheNewbie on