As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    captaink wrote: »
    Well you can do that with any program, you just can't activate it on steam.

I hate having desktop clutter and i love organizing games by genre. Steam solves both.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SWAT 2 might be ok

SWAT 1 is what happens when you insert vomited feces vomit into a CD-ROM press.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New release: Dark Reign 2 - $5.99

Catshade on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Death_Claw wrote: »
    All Tex Murphy games are 60% off this weekend, and I cannot recommend them enough.

Thanks for the heads-up. Been looking for an excuse to check these out for awhile - $15 for all of them seems too good to pass up.

It seems like the general opinion is to skip over the first 2 games (for now, at least) and start with Under a Killing Moon. Is that pretty sound advice?

The first one I would just say don't play. There's a sort of a game in there, but you have to dig pretty deep, and they remade the plot into Overseer anyway.

I couldn't get past the interface in Martian Memorandum, personally. It's kind of like SCUMM before there was a SCUMM -- no keyboard shortcuts, a lot of pixel hunting, dragging your mouse all the way over to the taskbar every. single. time. you want to do something. I honestly didn't make it past the first couple of screens.

freakish light on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You don't really need any background to play Under A Killing Moon anyway.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man the tanks in Jagged Alliance 2 are kicking my ass. My usual tactic of shooting at the enemies face while flanking the shit out of them really isn't working because they have X-Ray vision or something. Anyone got some tips on how to approach and best defeat these things? (I have LAWs comin' outta my ass)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    captaink wrote: »
    Took a crack at Age of Wonders tonight. Lovely setup, GoG got it to work widescreen, which is fantastic. Did the tutorial, which was refreshingly quick.

Moved on to the campaign, Keeper side. I spent a few turns traipsing about, recruiting halfling towns and other junk on the ground. Then two stacks of goblins show up. I sent my 7 units down to face their 16, and got pasted. And I guess losing your hero loses the map, so that was all a loss.

This game might be tricky.

The first mission is surprisingly difficult, and might take a couple tries. Your hero is not an almighty avatar of death (yet) and goblins are every bit as strong as your halflings. Knowing some of the map layout will help you a great deal, though, as you'll be able to expand far more rapidly early on.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TeeMan wrote: »
    (I have LAWs comin' outta my ass)

I think that may be your problem. They're probably dragging on the ground, making a lot of noise, and also causing you to walk funny meaning reduced stealth. Try carrying them by the strap over your shoulder.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    haha

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New weekend deal is up. Select Strategy First titles are 50% off.

Disciples: Sacred Lands Gold Edition
    Jagged Alliance
    Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
    Port Royale 2

Drake on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Port Royale 2 is good if you like the Patrician games.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man the tanks in Jagged Alliance 2 are kicking my ass. My usual tactic of shooting at the enemies face while flanking the shit out of them really isn't working because they have X-Ray vision or something. Anyone got some tips on how to approach and best defeat these things? (I have LAWs comin' outta my ass)

Bombard the map with mortars until everything is ash (this is actually my main strategy for every encounter in the late-game, but hey). You have to hit a tank dead-on to damage it, but it does work.

Are you playing 1.13, or vanilla? There are some anti-tank rifles in 1.13, and I think the RPG has a longer range than the LAW as well.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Don't have a mortar, but I think I came across one all the way back in Alma... Bugger.

I'm playing vanilla and it's been a while since the game was this challenging, but I've poured about 30 hours into it so I can't stop now!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bought SWAT 1+2

After two hours of playing.

Yes, still the best swat and one of my favourite tactical games. (The second game)

C2B on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Don't have a mortar, but I think I came across one all the way back in Alma... Bugger.

I'm playing vanilla and it's been a while since the game was this challenging, but I've poured about 30 hours into it so I can't stop now!

You don't *have* to slug it out with every last tank. That never struck me as very smart.

You should be fully kitted out for the final assault. Just kill enemies until they stop coming and bum rush Dedrianna's mansion. You only need to take her out to end the war.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That's what I'm thinking now after another unsuccessful assault. Time to give these things a wide berth and possibly use a LAW on Dedrianna in a way not very unlike the ending of Death Wish 2/3 :D

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Right-o, time to ask for guidance midway through Planescape: Torment.
    I've pretty much entirely finished The Hive, and expect to see no reason to do the whole underground part again, unless I should go back to visit Pharod now that I've seen a cutscene of whatever the shadows are reaching and attacking him? I'm mainly in the Clerk's Ward now trying to reach Ravel. I've talked to her through the orb and gotten pointers from that wizard and Ecco, but still don't have much to go on besides that her daughter is Kessai-Serris (?) and in the brothel. I've gotten my and Deionarra's legacies (installed the whole list of recommended mods to add stuff like that in) and shared hers with her father.

First question: I've visited the Forge and picked up some portal I'd had commissioned as few as 10 years ago from my Legacy. But then, randomly talking to some guy to try and get access to the Godsmen's secret project thing, found out that four generations earlier a completely different incarnation of me had commissioned some exotic dream machine thing and that the two are largely unrelated? I have this right, yes? I'm not really sure what I'm asking, just generally confused.

Second question: About how far along am I at this point? There isn't a counter of game hours, but I've been somewhat thorough up to this point.

I feel lost (or at least forget somewhat everything that's happened up to this point and am break-takingly motivationally confused), and in other games this has always led to my rushing or looking up walkthroughs, both of which I always end up regretting. Any spoiler-free guidance/motivation would be appreciated.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Antithesis wrote: »
    Right-o, time to ask for guidance midway through Planescape: Torment.
    I've pretty much entirely finished The Hive, and expect to see no reason to do the whole underground part again, unless I should go back to visit Pharod now that I've seen a cutscene of whatever the shadows are reaching and attacking him? I'm mainly in the Clerk's Ward now trying to reach Ravel. I've talked to her through the orb and gotten pointers from that wizard and Ecco, but still don't have much to go on besides that her daughter is Kessai-Serris (?) and in the brothel. I've gotten my and Deionarra's legacies (installed the whole list of recommended mods to add stuff like that in) and shared hers with her father.

First question: I've visited the Forge and picked up some portal I'd had commissioned as few as 10 years ago from my Legacy. But then, randomly talking to some guy to try and get access to the Godsmen's secret project thing, found out that four generations earlier a completely different incarnation of me had commissioned some exotic dream machine thing and that the two are largely unrelated? I have this right, yes? I'm not really sure what I'm asking, just generally confused.

Second question: About how far along am I at this point? There isn't a counter of game hours, but I've been somewhat thorough up to this point.

I feel lost (or at least forget somewhat everything that's happened up to this point and am break-takingly motivationally confused), and in other games this has always led to my rushing or looking up walkthroughs, both of which I always end up regretting. Any spoiler-free guidance/motivation would be appreciated.
    You want the sphere you gave Pharod for the end game. It is required but gives you some dialogue later on.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    24-hour promo: Psychonauts for $2.49

Catshade on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Catshade wrote: »

Bought!

I am so weak...

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Iolo wrote: »
    Catshade wrote: »

Bought!

I am so weak...

Wise purchasing decision though.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok now someone need to put the price in the thread title, also a "today only!" would be nice. It would probably attract more people to buy this fantastic game.

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hope these flash promo's start hitting my wishlist :D

Pheace on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There is no acceptable reason not to own Psychonauts.

It flows in my veins, like RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Win. So bought. God I love that game.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's probably a bad sign that I'm considering buying pyschonauts off Gog, since I already kinda own it... On steam.

Road Block on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just bought Psychonauts for the third time and I DON'T CARE.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Catshade on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Psychonauts bought. It better be good because I spent my brain-killing-stomach-rotting cheap booze money on it.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Unless you're XoB, it probably is.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What is XoB?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just referencing how Xenogears of Bore is the most huegest detractor of Psychonauts (and heck, Tim Schafer in general) on the board.

Nothing really against his sardonic self, mind. :P

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I own 2 copies of Pyschonauts.

One of these days I'll actually get around to playing it.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had to walk back from town. Spent my money on this. So worth it.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy crap, cutscenes aside Psychonauts seems to fully support 1920x1080 despite it's age. It's gorgeous.

Darlan on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Darlan wrote: »
    Holy crap, cutscenes aside Psychonauts seems to fully support 1920x1080 despite it's age. It's gorgeous.

Of course it does, it's a PC game. Computers have been rocking resolutions higher than that for over 10 years.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Vegan wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »

Of course it does, it's a PC game. Computers have been rocking resolutions higher than that for over 10 years.
    Huh. I wasn't really into PC games during the Xbox1 era, but it was my impression that fancy high res widescreen support and such isn't a sure thing with PC games from then, at least from ports.

Granted, most of this impression is from KOTOR so I might not be the best source here. Weird that Bioware of all people was behind on PC standards though.

Darlan on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Older games might not have supported widescreen (because there were no widescreen monitors available then), but they've always supported high resolutions. I played the original Quake in 1996 at a higher resolution than most modern console games run.

Glal on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know saying this is pretty much regarded as blasphemy but...
    I didn't like psychonauts.

As a platformer I found it a little frustrating and the story didn't really keep me hooked. I got bored and stopped playing halfway through. I don't really get what the hype is about.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Played some Psychonauts, only past the first mission. Was fun, game has a lot of charm. Playing with a controller is a must though, game is awful with mouse+kb.

Don't care for the open-world feel of the camp. I feel I've discovered some things way before I should have.

LittleBoots on