As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    "Has their weekend sale up?" Are they starting a Steam-like regular sale cycle? (Or have they been doing that all along and I just didn't notice?)

You just didn't notice.

subedii on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    "Has their weekend sale up?" Are they starting a Steam-like regular sale cycle? (Or have they been doing that all along and I just didn't notice?)

You just didn't notice.
    Whoops. :oops:

Darlan on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    I totally just bought myst for absolutely no reason at all.

Well, other than always wanting to try it, but I've got to be thrifty with money. :(

The original Myst manages to be challenging without being impossible insofar as its obscure puzzles are concerned. Expect to be confused at some points, though.

Riven kinda dove off the "just mess with stuff and hope something goes right" cliff. I never played any of the later ones.

Jragghen on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Antihippy wrote: »
    I totally just bought myst for absolutely no reason at all.

Well, other than always wanting to try it, but I've got to be thrifty with money. :(

The original Myst manages to be challenging without being impossible insofar as its obscure puzzles are concerned. Expect to be confused at some points, though.

Riven kinda dove off the "just mess with stuff and hope something goes right" cliff. I never played any of the later ones.

I found Myst III to have the most logical (and fun) puzzles in the series. That said, Myst I is still a good game.

Riven can die in a fire, though.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think Riven is the best in the series.

Protip: It's one big puzzle.

Renzo on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You have to take notes to get through Riven. It's basically made for people who think adventure games are too easy because you can get through them without taking notes.

Orogogus on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Incredible Machine Pack?

So. Fucking. Boughted.

I was just tooling around on the internet the other day looking for an updated game in the same vein. Might as well go with the original.

Elvenshae on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Myst 3 is my favorite because it's the only one I beat without any hints at all, but Riven will always have a special place in my heart.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wonder why both GOG and Steam don't offer Myst 3 and 4 (and was there a fifth one too?). I mean, they both offer Uru, but not the others? Are there some legal issues or something preventing them from being sold?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Is the System Shock series up yet? I won't forgive Gog fully until they supply System Shock as well as Planescape.

Tweaking the Dark Engine to work reliably on modern hardware might take more time and money than anyone wants to invest. I've gotten stuff working on plenty of modern oses but often they behave incredibly unreliably.

august on
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Orogogus wrote: »
    You have to take notes to get through Riven. It's basically made for people who think adventure games are too easy because you can get through them without taking notes.

Well, thats what the notes section in those old manuals were for!

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    I wonder why both GOG and Steam don't offer Myst 3 and 4 (and was there a fifth one too?). I mean, they both offer Uru, but not the others? Are there some legal issues or something preventing them from being sold?

Myst 3 and 4 weren't made by Cyan. Myst 3 was made by Presto Studios, the guys behind the Journeyman games. Myst 4 was made by Ubisoft Montreal. That'd be my guess as to why.

Yes, there's also a Myst V, but it was made by Cyan so I'm not sure why it's not available. Maybe they tried to gauge the interest with the 3 best known ones first or something.

Sir Carcass on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Myst 3 and 4 weren't made by Cyan. Myst 3 was made by Presto Studios, the guys behind the Journeyman games. Myst 4 was made by Ubisoft Montreal. That'd be my guess as to why.

Yes, there's also a Myst V, but it was made by Cyan so I'm not sure why it's not available. Maybe they tried to gauge the interest with the 3 best known ones first or something.

Or because they don't feel it's necessary to release Myst V. After all, it was only released 5 years ago. Myst IV is compatible with Vista, so I would think Myst V would be, too.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Stilts wrote: »

Or because they don't feel it's necessary to release Myst V. After all, it was only released 5 years ago. Myst IV is compatible with Vista, so I would think Myst V would be, too.

I was more referring to Steam, but yeah, good point.

Sir Carcass on
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I now have no excuse to not have The Longest Journey. I'm thinking I should grab Myst while I'm at it, though Arcanum seems interesting enough.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arcanum get!

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    God damn it. I'm still waiting on my CC to arrive.

I could be screwing around with Incredible Machine right now. I still have my original copy sitting in arm's reach, but I don't dare see what happens when I put the disc in.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • vallavvallav Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Loving Planescape:Torment so much! Never played it before, I'm glad I finally got a chance to.
    Question about a portion in the game though:
    The four keys from The Nameless One's Tomb, where/how do I use them? I've been trying to activate Tomb Key1 in the Weeping Catacombs with no luck. Any tips?

vallav on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    vallav wrote: »
    Loving Planescape:Torment so much! Never played it before, I'm glad I finally got a chance to.
    The four keys from The Nameless One's Tomb, where/how do I use them? I've been trying to activate Tomb Key1 in the Weeping Catacombs with no luck. Any tips?

The keys aren't meant to be used on doors as such...
    They're actually portal keys. The keys aren't enough on their own to get to the next "section" of the Tomb (so you need to be in the Tomb "area" if you aren't already). This is a tomb that was built so that only TNO could reach its centre, using a very specific property of his...
    Namely that he cannot be permanently killed. Cross the symbol of Torment in each area whilst you've got the key(s) in your possession. TNO will be struck by lightning and killed. He'll awaken elsewhere in the Tomb. Do it several times and he'll end up in the centre, where the walls are inset with script and there's a sarcophagus in the middle.

subedii on
  • vallavvallav Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    vallav wrote: »

The keys aren't meant to be used on doors as such...
    They're actually portal keys. The keys aren't enough on their own to get to the next "section" of the Tomb. This is a tomb that was built so that only TNO could reach its centre, using a very specific property of his...
    Namely that he cannot be permanently killed. Cross the symbol of Torment in each area whilst you've got the key(s) in your possession. TNO will be struck by lightning and killed. He'll awaken elsewhere.

Oh, I understand now.
    In the description it mentions the Weeping Catacombs, which confused me into thinking they have another use. Thanks

vallav on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow, I never ever thought this day would come.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow, I never ever thought this day would come.
    Which day would that be?

Elvenshae on
    edited October 2010
    So Interstate '76 doesn't work under Windows 7, at least not with ATI. Awesome.

Sir Carcass on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Riven was by far my favorite Myst game, as far as design went. I and III were the most fun, however. IV was alright, never got to V.

Riven HD needs to happen. Playing it compressed and with buggy DirectX install prompts is not fun.

Mortal Sky on
    edited October 2010
    There was almost a RealRiven.

V is pretty good. Worth a play through, at least. I actually should dig that out as I haven't played it since release.

Sir Carcass on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So a lot of games are 50% off right now. Are there any I should pick up? I don't really know anything about Arcanum for 3 dollars I'm thinking I should get it.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The longest journey is one of the best adventure games ever if you haven't got it already.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Some of the puzzles in TLJ are pants-on-head stupid but its atmosphere, environment, and story are unbeatable. I love that game so much.

freakish light on
    edited October 2010
    On a scale of 1 (Monkey Island) to 10 (Kings Quest), how difficult is Longest Journey?

Raiden333 on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mostly it's not too difficult but there is at least one puzzle that requires at least ten steps that are completely unintuitive. I'd say a 4 with spikes to maybe 7.

freakish light on
    edited October 2010
    Like freakish light said there are some stupidly obtuse ones.
    Inflatable ducky wtf.

Antihippy on
    edited October 2010
    Haha yeah that's exactly the one I was thinking of.

freakish light on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So Interstate '76 doesn't work under Windows 7, at least not with ATI. Awesome.

Try a VM of windows 98? The software and image to do that are free

override367 on
    edited October 2010
    Haha yeah that's exactly the one I was thinking of.

I think almost everyone who've played it would think of that. :P

I love it though.

Antihippy on
    edited October 2010
    I'll check it out.

Raiden333 on
    edited October 2010
    Dreamfall is pretty good too. It'd be even better if they were working on Chapters, but it's "not a priority" for them.

The most they've said is that it "might" be playable before 2013.

you know what they stopped working on it to make? fucking Age of Conan. goddamnit.

freakish light on
    edited October 2010
    Dreamfall is pretty good too. It'd be even better if they were working on Chapters, but it's "not a priority" for them.

you know what they stopped working on it to make? fucking Age of Conan. goddamnit.

So if I like TLJ, and I want to play Dreamfall, would you say I should get the PC version, or is the xbox version okay? I noticed I can get it cheaper if I download it on my 360 than through Steam.

Raiden333 on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

So if I like TLJ, and I want to play Dreamfall, would you say I should get the PC version, or is the xbox version okay? I noticed I can get it cheaper if I download it on my 360 than through Steam.

It's not only ok, it's the better version. Dreamfall was a console-centric release, which really pissed me off at the time, but their company has fucked things up so bad that these days I just feel pity.

PolloDiablo on
    edited October 2010
    Awesome, thanks Pollo.

Also, going through GoG's whole catalog looking for all the games that ate up my childhood, I can only see one glaring omission...
    anach.jpg

Raiden333 on
    edited October 2010
    Welp, so much for playing Longest Journey. Every time I try to play, I get past the prologue screen, see the grandmother and the two people sitting by the fire, and have to ctrl-alt-delete out because it only runs at about one frame every 2 seconds.

I've tried the preferences.ini settings people suggest in the GoG forum, they didn't affect it at all. Tried compatibility mode and setting it to only run on one processor, too. No dice.

:(

edit: Got it, I was changing the wrong preferences file, works now!

Raiden333 on