As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Involves buying yet another peripheral I really don't need. Plus those games are open source now I think making then free.

I really wish re-volt was still widely available. Sucks such a great game from years ago isn't on any digital download service.

Big Classy on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Most open source games aren't free. The engine is free, the art assets, levels, music and other content are not. This is why id continues to sell their games for example.

august on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, once they sold FS2 again on GoG, the SCP removed the assets from their installer

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, I grabbed Arx Fatalis this weekend but haven't tried it out yet. Any mods or anything for it?

Also, the previous page has me seriously considering a purchase for Postal 2.

HadjiQuest on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Quick, I need a $5.99 game that'll hold my attention... Something easy to get into. Enclave is temmpting but I've already owned that so maybe something fresh? Fallout games I've never tried or the Freespace ones. Or 1nsane. gah.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/original_war

This is one of the best games I have ever played. It's simple as all hell yet challenging as well. You owe it to yourself to play this game.

Casual on
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    So, I grabbed Arx Fatalis this weekend but haven't tried it out yet. Any mods or anything for it?

Re: Postal 2 - I bought and played through the entire main game this weekend, so it certainly held my attention! Not necessarily for reasons of quality, mind. The game takes place over a series of 5 days, each of which has several tasks that must be accomplished in the game's open world - invariably they're incredibly simple, but have frustrating barriers in the way (long slow queues, huge fees that must be paid without any real way to earn money) that are solved by you burning everyone to death.

The game is broken - so much so that when you inevitably get stuck inside the scenery, the game notices this and forcefully catapults you out whilst gently chiding you. The main character openly insults you if you save more often than once every 5 minutes or so. Every single time. The grand open world they've constructed is laughably simplistic - rooms are often no more than a square box with the same texture on every side. The endgame throws so much stuff around that I was getting 3 fps on a modern PC.

But it's uncomplicated fun, if you have a particular type of brain. Set fire to a dog, watch it run into a massive crowd, see dozens of people burst into flames and start moaning horribly, eventually collapsing to the ground in a glistening red mass. Notice how they still stay alive for a few minutes, begging for death, and how bystanders witnessing this start to vomit uncontrollably. Tempt a cat to you with some catnip, pick it up and thrust it anus-first onto your shotgun to make the shots more powerful and have a tighter grouping. Urinate on a cop and then run away, trousers still around your ankles, and get shot by a Bin Laden clone with an RPG. It feels like a PC game, and the kind of game that isn't getting made anymore...except that Postal 3 isn't far off completion apparently.

Bioptic on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Involves buying yet another peripheral I really don't need. Plus those games are open source now I think making then free.

I really wish re-volt was still widely available. Sucks such a great game from years ago isn't on any digital download service.
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Do you own a joystick?

If yes: Freespace.

If no: Go get one, and then get Freespace.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2011
    Would a 360 pad suffice? I'm not buying a joystick for one game.

Postal2 looks interesting.

Big Classy on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The triggers and the right thumbstick can get kind of bitchy so you'll probably have to nab Xpadder to treat them like regular buttons, but other than that it should be fine: I use a 360 gamepad for Terran Conflict and it's great.

Sorenson on
    edited February 2011
    Hate xpadder though. Unless someone already has a profile made for the game.

Big Classy on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Postal2 looks interesting.

Postal 2 is humorous, but buggy as all hell and suffers from a large amount of design problems, poor objective flow and odd design decisions. Good for a quick laugh, but you might drag your teeth a bit to get through it.

Waka Laka on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

I to was looking at Arx Fatalis, but ultimately went decided to spend my money on an Xbox title I never got around to finishing to due bugs and horrible controls, Advent Rising.

Sadly, I beat the game in 2 sittings over a weekend (probably about 7 hours total). They fixed some bug issues with the PC release (still crashed to desktop a lot), but the remnants of the xbox controls still haunt this sad, sad game. Nostalgia keeps me from feeling bad about the purchase (as I was super hyped about the game at release) but it was very short and only made longer by crashes, crappy targeting and horrible vehicle controls.

If you play AF though, Hadjii, I'd appreciate a quick opinion on what you thought/think. I honestly didn't look half bad, to me.

Decoy on
    edited February 2011
    Arx has a really weird control scheme, worst than Gothic.
    But people loooooove it.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Freespace plays fine with a mouse/keyboard.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cherrn wrote: »

Freespace plays fine with a keyboard.

Just install it away from your Program files, for some reason, a lot of games nowadays don't like that anymore.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited February 2011
    Kind of torn between frewspace 2 and fallout2.

Big Classy on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kind of torn between frewspace 2 and fallout2.

Fallout 2 is a big mistake unless you already have Fallout.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited February 2011
    I have none of the early fallout titles.

Big Classy on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have none of the early fallout titles.

Absolutely get the first 2, meh on tactics.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited February 2011
    I briefly had a collection of both games but got rid of them for a nifty profit. Gone through the dvd collection and found re- volt and carmageddon! awesome!

Big Classy on
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    New release: Zork Nemesis - $5.99

Catshade on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arx has a really weird control scheme, worst than Gothic.
    But people loooooove it.
    Wha? Not sure I agree with that. I'd need to replay it, but if memory serves it was more like System Shock 2 with Okami style magic.
    Also, it's a fine game. Terrible voice acting and not perfectly balanced, but a worthy unofficial successor to the Ultima Underworld series.

Glal on
    edited March 2011
    Anything for the weird resolution in Fallout 1? Its really jarring. And painful.

Big Classy on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Allow me to make my argument for Freespace 2. This argument requires you to view in HD and fullscreen.

Here is the argument:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOWh142gBjA&hd=1

subedii on
    edited March 2011
    I don't know, I played both System Shocks many, many times, but Arx always left me utterly befuddled the entire time. I could barely move around the first areas, on top of a wonky interface, it all seemed very clunky.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, this mention of System Shock made me realize that none of LGS's games are on GoG. Especially dope like motherfucking Terra Nova, which had a bizarre (to modern FPS standards now) control and interface reminiscent of a jacked up, steroided System Shock 1 that was still pretty intuitive if you sat down with it. And by god if it wasn't an awesome mission-based squad shooter. It's like Looking Glass's forgotten game.

Zxerol on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anything for the weird resolution in Fallout 1? Its really jarring. And painful.

There are definitely resolution mods out there; I used one a while back, but if I ran it at my monitor's native resolution (at the time, 1280x1024) it ran unbearably slow. Unfortunately I don't remember where I got the mod; it was probably from over at No Mutants Allowed.

SteevL on
    edited March 2011
    Oh screw that. I hear bad things about that place. Also I'm running at 1280x102 wso there;s that too :(

And damn you Subedii, now I'm regretting my decision so much.

Big Classy on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hahah. Fallout's still one of my favourite games, so it's probably win-win either way once you get used to the visuals.

EDIT: Besides, I'm not sure I'd suggest it unless you've got a joystick first. It's probably playable on a gamepad, but really, you want a joystick.

subedii on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh screw that. I hear bad things about that place. Also I'm running at 1280x102 wso there;s that too :(

NMA is great for Fallout related files and mods, just don't read their forums.

Sir Carcass on
    edited March 2011

NMA is great for Fallout related files and mods, just don't read their forums.

Yeah. It's pretty easy to avoid the forums area.

Here's another resolution mod I found. I haven't tested it myself: http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout1_Resolution_Patch

edit: Heh, I see it just links to NMA. :)

edit2: AND it turns out NMA is down right now!

SteevL on
    edited March 2011
    Curses, right when I can't get to my computer! Foiled again.

In any case, I plan on eventually getting the whole shebang of peripherals; wheel and joystick. Just not anytime soon. First need to sort my 'puter out good and proper.

Big Classy on
    edited March 2011
    Looks like the site is back up, but the link I gave is actually dead. Here's one at NMA:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1273

SteevL on
    edited March 2011
    Awesome. Can't wait to check it out. Anything I should be aware of oing in? Bearing in mind I've only played the newer, versions of the game.

Big Classy on
    edited March 2011
    It's very, very easy to get yourself killed in Fallout 1. The first time I played it a few years back, I got into a random battle near the beginning of the game with 4 or 5 radscorpions. They kicked the crap out of me, and my last save was...well, let's say I felt I had done a lot since then (even though I doubt I had) and shelved the game for a few years. :) Save often! And make multiple saves!

I didn't finally play through FO1 until I got through New Vegas last year. I enjoyed it, but I think it'll be a while before I want to do a new playthrough with a different kind of character. I mostly went with unarmed and speech. Eventually I felt I had to put points into guns.

SteevL on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Awesome. Can't wait to check it out. Anything I should be aware of oing in? Bearing in mind I've only played the newer, versions of the game.

Just be aware that going to a higher resolution kind of breaks the game in a way. You'll see enemies before you are supposed to, and they'll just be standing around since you haven't gotten close enough to "see" them yet by the games logic. That said, combat isn't really why you play Fallout, and this may make the game even more playable for you.

Just be patient Isy, and don't let your weirdo tastes get in the way of having a good time. :wink: This is the granddaddy of sandbox RPGs, so it has some warts but it also does some things better than anything that has come since.

Drake on
  • Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

For your first playthrough tag small guns and speech, you will have plenty of small guns to choose from and some of the better ones (.223 pistol FTW) can be quite deadly if you have a high level and can shoot someone on the eyes with 95% chance to hit. Big guns are nice but can be a pain since they are pretty heavy and ammo is not so plenty, you should stay away from energy weapons on the first game, they are much more useful on Fallout 2 tough.

A high speech skill will allow you to get away from some situations without fights and opens up the game more. A high int will also help with this and gives you more skills per turn, it is no Planescape but still pretty useful. Agility gives you more action points, and since the combat is turn based also helps a lot to have a higher stat.

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Looking forward to plundering some wastelands. Seems like a straight forward game. It'll take a while to get used..... ugh.... turn-based gameplay but I'll soldier on.

Big Classy on
  • Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Looking forward to plundering some wastelands. Seems like a straight forward game. It'll take a while to get used..... ugh.... turn-based gameplay but I'll soldier on.

Also I forgot to add, you have ways to increase your SPECIAL stats by 1 during the game, also the power armor gives you an extra +1 to strength, so when you create your character don´t put more than 9 on any of the SPECIAL stats or 8 on strength, since they can´t get past 10 you will be wasting precious points by doing that.

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Death_Claw wrote: »

Also I forgot to add, you have ways to increase your SPECIAL skills by 1 during the game, also the power armor gives you an extra +1 to strength, so when you create your character don´t put more than 9 on any of the SPECIAL skills or 8 on strength, since they can´t get past 10 you will be wasting precious points by doing that.

And don't bother with Charisma.

chiasaur11 on