Options

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record Available Now

1356752

Posts

  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TK HAS ESCAPED
    GAHHH FUCK YOU TK

    Sceptre on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Ninja pre-order feels a bit like cheating. Zombies barely acknowledge my existance as I run past them with a rev'ed up chainsaw.

    Psychotic One on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I finished some co-op a little while ago, a few hours of play, and we didn't even do any quests. The game is so fun just messing around in. We did fight Snowflake, though. Jesus Christ that was tough.

    "I just made an I.E.D. and I'm going to toss it at her. Where is sh-ohshitshe'scomignrightatme!"

    We killed that damned thing, but apparently you can give it to Katey as a gift? Does anyone know how?

    Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    I finished some co-op a little while ago, a few hours of play, and we didn't even do any quests. The game is so fun just messing around in. We did fight Snowflake, though. Jesus Christ that was tough.

    "I just made an I.E.D. and I'm going to toss it at her. Where is sh-ohshitshe'scomignrightatme!"

    We killed that damned thing, but apparently you can give it to Katey as a gift? Does anyone know how?
    Ever met a stray cat? Feed it and you become its favorite thing ever. Find Steak and feed Mr. Kitty. Should take 3 steaks if you don't hurt Snowflake.

    Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    That bottom picture is great... I want a wheelchair of death too :D Actually, I wish I could have used that for some of the more useless survivors in DR1 (i.e. Leah, Ross, etc)... Heh, though I'm not sure giving Gil access to machine guns would be the best idea either...

    How can you be dissing no clip mode? Seriously, any survivor that you have to carry in any way more than 'holding hands' lets you not get grabbed, like, ever.

    Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh my God... This game is incredible....
    bowie knife + boxing gloves!!?!?!?

    Also is that guy wearing a ghosts and goblins helmet!?!

    urahonky on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    I finished some co-op a little while ago, a few hours of play, and we didn't even do any quests. The game is so fun just messing around in. We did fight Snowflake, though. Jesus Christ that was tough.

    "I just made an I.E.D. and I'm going to toss it at her. Where is sh-ohshitshe'scomignrightatme!"

    We killed that damned thing, but apparently you can give it to Katey as a gift? Does anyone know how?
    Ever met a stray cat? Feed it and you become its favorite thing ever. Find Steak and feed Mr. Kitty. Should take 3 steaks if you don't hurt Snowflake.

    I have one, single question.

    Can you ride it?

    yalborap on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    From the official Left 4 Dead blog, this was posted along with The Sacrifice part 3.

    Spoiled for h scroll...
    dead_rising_shout_out.jpg

    DR1: Zombie Genocider Defeat at least 53,594 zombies.

    L4D1: Zombie Genocidest Kill 53,595 Infected.

    DR2: Z-Genocider 2: Genocide Harder Kill 53,596 zombies. / Zombie Genocide Master Kill 72,000 zombies.

    Love this little thing they have going

    Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    I ended up running out of time on a case file because I didn't realise that the time didn't just apply to that one step, but also the ones to come after it. It was early in the game, so restarting isn't a big deal. I don't really know if I want to restart to do story or just fuck around to level up, though.

    I had the exact same thing happen. I don't remember anything like that in DR1 (though maybe I'm forgetting something). If the games says I have 30 minutes left to activate the case file, that shouldn't mean that I have 30 minutes to activate the case file and complete an entire escort mission.

    Luckily it's very early on, or I would have been much less amused.

    Same thing happened to me
    trying to chase TK on the motorcycle.
    I figured "Oh, I *just* made it! And then the next case starts and I fail it within like a minute. Worse yet I couldn't find my way back to the Safe House and Katey become a zombie (and I had THREE Zombrex!)... haha oh well.

    I restarted at level 15, so things should go a bit smoother.

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I bought this game but ended up D/L'ing Case Zero since I haven't played it yet. Damn, the survivors seem to be a lot better at following and fighting zombies and I'm enjoying the game a lot more because of this. That and the multiple slot save system are huuuuge improvements.

    Ranced on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ranced wrote: »
    I bought this game but ended up D/L'ing Case Zero since I haven't played it yet. Damn, the survivors seem to be a lot better at following and fighting zombies and I'm enjoying the game a lot more because of this. That and the multiple slot save system are huuuuge improvements.

    My only problem is that unless they are right behind you when you go through a door they wont come aswell so you have to go back to get them

    Also accidentally gave one of my Machete's to a survivor

    I had to get it back some how!

    Dox the PI on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just as an FYI, there will be a green circle with a door inside it when the survivor is close enough to go through the door with you.

    urahonky on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Just as an FYI, there will be a green circle with a door inside it when the survivor is close enough to go through the door with you.

    oh sweet, nice tip

    Dox the PI on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Just as an FYI, there will be a green circle with a door inside it when the survivor is close enough to go through the door with you.

    oh sweet, nice tip

    Yeah that definitely wasn't there in the first one, you had to guess if they were close enough.

    urahonky on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Of all the female stereotypes that exist in every media, it seems Sexy Reporter will always be the most prevalent.

    1. Ridiculous curves

    2. Wavy hair

    3. Tight outfits

    4. Always determined to get "the ultimate scoop", no matter how dangerous the situation is.

    5. Retardedly runs headfirst into said dangerous situation.

    6. Has the ability to pick any lock at any door.

    7. Ends up doing all the recording, filming, and editing despite being a reporter and NOT a cameraman.

    8. Will work tirelessly to get that story even if no one is watching or cares at this point.

    In other words, April O' Neil has inspired a generation of women to get reconstructive surgery and be complete idiots.
    I hope the main guy gets a chance to bone her this time. Always bugged me how the first game's hottie met a rather unfortunate end....

    Also, when saving the levels and exp you gained in joining a co-op game, does the save file always put you back to the very beginning?

    Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    She really annoys me, which is why I love how one of the survivors I had with me wouldn't stop accidentally shooting her during the first encounter you have with her.

    Turkey on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hooooly shit.

    The
    burlesque dancer
    pyscho is the fucking best.

    The dude wired in the background is the pure gold.
    Pyscho lady: You better hurry! I get EXPLOSIVE when I wait.

    Token Black Guy: *SLLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURP* ... You better hurry up bro.

    Verr on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Dead Rising 2 ate my Tuesday >: (

    Well, that's what happens when you play for five hours straight. And then later play a whole bunch more.

    Peewi on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the drill bucket is pretty fantastic. useless outside of entertainment though

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like that the survivors have better AI this time around, I was short on time and had to drag around three of them around during a story mission which lead to case 3-3 spoilers
    Chuck and a gun toting british rock band foiling a heist

    Jakorian on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Through much experimentation, I have found that Survivors cannot maim other survivors.

    FUCK YES!

    Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, if the survivors have better AI this time around, how terrible was it in the last one? Even armed to the teeth it seems like all they're good for is being grabbed by zombies.

    Sceptre on
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They were amazingly awful to drag around.

    Jakorian on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Man, if the survivors have better AI this time around, how terrible was it in the last one? Even armed to the teeth it seems like all they're good for is being grabbed by zombies.

    Things survivors did on a frequent basis in Dead Rising 1:
    -Not follow you when you call them (setting a location seemed to work better than just pressing Y to yell)
    -Lag WAY behind you (followed by getting swarmed by zombies)
    -Get stuck on terrain objects, especially signs and plants
    -Get stuck with general pathing issues, like corners or lips of doorways (have fun getting them out of the bathrooms!)
    -Decide the best way to follow you is strait through that big group of zombies you just specifically ran around (this is especially fun the couple times where you have to follow them - they always make a beeline for the thickest pack of zombies)
    -Get mauled by every zombie in a 5 mile radius and then be unable to free themselves without your help
    -If they have a shotgun: shoot you in the back over and over and over and over (this still happens in DR2 but not nearly as frequently)
    -If they have a swingable weapon: always attack the zombie closest to the other survivor(s) you are escorting, so as to hit and do lots of damage to said survivor(s)
    -Bump into each other constantly, especially when trying to climb up to the Security Room vent (to the point that you would FREQUENTLY get two survivors in a shoving match trying to climb up and neither would until you kicked one out of the way)
    -If you had a survivor that you need to hold hands with to escort (aka every woman because apparently that game was sexist), you would constantly lose your grip over and over and over, leaving her behind to get eaten by zombies until you ran back, grabbed the hand again, and then immedially lost your grip as soon as you moved
    -If you had a survivor that you had to assist in any way, you could not "climb" - by which I mean if you were carrying someone, and you fell into the shallow little wading pool, have fun dropping them and watching them limp over the edge because you sure as hell aren't carrying them out of there (don't know if this has changed in DR2)
    -If they are somewhat cowardly, stop every couple feet, start sobbing, then get mauled by zombies (there is a book that helps with this, but I've found all the cowardly survivors tend to be near the beginning of the game before you get it anyways)
    -Not be close enough to the door you are entering with absolutely no indicator to let you know what "close enough" is (other than "your gut") - especially fun when on the other side of the door is a cutscene that teleports you far inside the room (so it's a decent hike back to the door), all the while you have a survivor taking constant damage outside (I actually lost a survivor once this way)

    I think I could continue this list for quite awhile :P Needless to say, the AI was god-awful and really, REALLY dampered the enjoyment of that game at times.

    As a comparison, here's a scenario from Dead Rising 2. I was escorting two survivors. I get into a fight with a psychopath that involves riding a motorcycle all the way to the opposite end of the area I'm in (a very, very long ride packed full of zombies). Both survivors were not only able to follow me with no problems, they helped out during the fight! The only time survivors seem to have issues in DR2 is when you stop and the zombies close in on you. But honestly that's fine, there has to be *some* risk.

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone played co-op on the 360 yet? We've had this annoying bug where the guest loses connection to the host anytime the host saves... :?

    Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    video games need to stop having poker mini-games. i do not want to figure out this card game that takes years and years to master just to play my video game. it is extremely un-fun.

    Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    then dont play the poker mini game? is it forced on you at some point or something?

    Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A hyper-intelligent zombie demands Chuck play for the life of Katey in Double Overtime Mode.
    I'm joking.

    yalborap on
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    then dont play the poker mini game? is it forced on you at some point or something?


    To get the special Ghost and Goblins armor that doubles your health you need to win at poker.

    There are also three survivors you can only rescue by playing a game of poker.

    Edit: also, the in-gamer timer keeps going while you play.

    Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, my first death was as epic as I could have hoped for. Early game survivor spoilers:
    I saved LaShonda, and handed her a handgun, and we went and saved her husband Gordon. Going back to the safehouse I saw a Bowie Knife, and decided that I should run back and grab the boxing gloves and finally make WOLVERINE HANDS.

    I tell LaShonda and Gordon to hang and make a quick run to the sports store. I put on the boxing gloves, when I see a shadow behind me - time to test these suckers out!

    Like every other awesome thing in this game, when wearing the boxing gloves Chuck goes into full boxer mode, not just punching and shoving, but delivering full hooks and devistating professional boxing blows...

    ...to LaShonda, who had followed me for some reason.

    She then shot the shit out of me using my own gun.

    mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My first death
    was to some psycho jerk in the bathrooms. I probably could've beaten him, but I just didn't have enough health to learn his pattern and I'd only brought one healing item with me. The OJ I brought plus the snack in the room really didn't cut it. Probably also would've survived if I'd still had my knife gloves rather than having to poke at him with the MMA nail gloves. The nail gloves are okay, but their reach was just too short and they kept me in one spot too long.
    Oh well. I was learning my way around Fortune City and leveling up anyway, so all dying really did was reset the clock so I could explore more. Also, I really like the fact that when you restart the game (at least after dying), you can skip through the entire intro sequence and cut right to when the game timer starts. Not having to go through 10-15 minutes of unnecessary tutorial/exposition for every restart is very nice. Heck, you don't even have to re-unlock workrooms; once you restart, they're automatically open and you can start making combo weapons right away.

    So is Dead Rising 2 utilizing an online ad system or was it intentionally filled with permanent Playboy advertisements? Because I did not expect those and it's rather funny to see them sitting around. In fact, one of them had the "Examine" icon to learn a new combo weapon and much to my disappointment, I learned a weapon from the MMA poster on the other side of the advertisement rather than a weapon combo from an 8-foot poster of blonde wearing a thong and part of shirt. Granted, I had no idea what possible kind of weapon I could make from that poster, but I was willing to give it a try anyway.

    Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I do believe those are PERMANANT ADS.

    I remember reading that they signed a deal with Playboy...

    mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, Snowflake's such a bitch.

    I think it took me like 5 tries.
    Before I finally tamed her. Seriously hard to get her to go for the meat instead of me.

    Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    Man, Snowflake's such a bitch.

    I think it took me like 5 tries.
    Before I finally tamed her. Seriously hard to get her to go for the meat instead of me.
    Make sure you don't hurt her, and put the meat quite a distance from you, between you. She'll slow down when she's about to eat it, but if you're too close she'll go for you instead.

    I guess that's kinda pointless since you got her already, though! Still, Chuck is a pretty awesome dad for getting his daughter a tiger for a present.

    LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chapter 3 Psycho
    I'm going to have fucking nightmares about Slappy looking over my fucking shoulder. Extra creepy and awesome. Have to wonder if the creater had a bad meal at a Big Boy though

    Psychotic One on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Man, if the survivors have better AI this time around, how terrible was it in the last one? Even armed to the teeth it seems like all they're good for is being grabbed by zombies.

    Things survivors did on a frequent basis in Dead Rising 1:
    -Not follow you when you call them (setting a location seemed to work better than just pressing Y to yell)
    -Lag WAY behind you (followed by getting swarmed by zombies)
    -Get stuck on terrain objects, especially signs and plants
    -Get stuck with general pathing issues, like corners or lips of doorways (have fun getting them out of the bathrooms!)
    -Decide the best way to follow you is strait through that big group of zombies you just specifically ran around (this is especially fun the couple times where you have to follow them - they always make a beeline for the thickest pack of zombies)
    -Get mauled by every zombie in a 5 mile radius and then be unable to free themselves without your help
    -If they have a shotgun: shoot you in the back over and over and over and over (this still happens in DR2 but not nearly as frequently)
    -If they have a swingable weapon: always attack the zombie closest to the other survivor(s) you are escorting, so as to hit and do lots of damage to said survivor(s)
    -Bump into each other constantly, especially when trying to climb up to the Security Room vent (to the point that you would FREQUENTLY get two survivors in a shoving match trying to climb up and neither would until you kicked one out of the way)
    -If you had a survivor that you need to hold hands with to escort (aka every woman because apparently that game was sexist), you would constantly lose your grip over and over and over, leaving her behind to get eaten by zombies until you ran back, grabbed the hand again, and then immedially lost your grip as soon as you moved
    -If you had a survivor that you had to assist in any way, you could not "climb" - by which I mean if you were carrying someone, and you fell into the shallow little wading pool, have fun dropping them and watching them limp over the edge because you sure as hell aren't carrying them out of there (don't know if this has changed in DR2)
    -If they are somewhat cowardly, stop every couple feet, start sobbing, then get mauled by zombies (there is a book that helps with this, but I've found all the cowardly survivors tend to be near the beginning of the game before you get it anyways)
    -Not be close enough to the door you are entering with absolutely no indicator to let you know what "close enough" is (other than "your gut") - especially fun when on the other side of the door is a cutscene that teleports you far inside the room (so it's a decent hike back to the door), all the while you have a survivor taking constant damage outside (I actually lost a survivor once this way)

    I think I could continue this list for quite awhile :P Needless to say, the AI was god-awful and really, REALLY dampered the enjoyment of that game at times.

    As a comparison, here's a scenario from Dead Rising 2. I was escorting two survivors. I get into a fight with a psychopath that involves riding a motorcycle all the way to the opposite end of the area I'm in (a very, very long ride packed full of zombies). Both survivors were not only able to follow me with no problems, they helped out during the fight! The only time survivors seem to have issues in DR2 is when you stop and the zombies close in on you. But honestly that's fine, there has to be *some* risk.

    Yeah, I've been dealing with a lot of this crap in DR1 while trying to get Transmissionary and Saint. I think I've screwed up enough to the point that I'm halfway through Day 2 and will have to start over because I just can't rescue everyone that needs to be rescued in time. I was escorting 4 people yesterday and one of them died in the friggin elevator room just before the safe room. I was really pissed off.

    Oh well, this is all good practice for 7-day survivor, which I think I will attempt this Saturday/Sunday. I'd really like to get all these achievements done before I touch DR2, because I know I'll never want to go back after enjoying all those improvements. Can you imagine how powerful Frank West would be if he could move and aim with the Real Mega Buster?

    SteevL on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kemal86 wrote: »
    video games need to stop having poker mini-games. i do not want to figure out this card game that takes years and years to master just to play my video game. it is extremely un-fun.

    Is it that hard if you don't know the basics of poker or is it just really hard for everyone? I'm guessing not, but can't check myself yet so.

    Xeddicus on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there really no infinite mode?
    God damn it.

    Rizzi on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Honestly one of the biggest achievements of this game is that Katey is actually endearing. She's so friggin' cute that I am compelled to do whatever I can for her. They really nailed it.

    It's really refreshing to have a child character in a game that isn't annoying as fuck.

    Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Garris wrote: »
    DLC Costumes location
    its in a locker in the bathroom of the safe room
    Also happy to report that the DLC is usable by anyone on the same machine. Maybe that was obvious but since the wife called first dibs (and downloaded the DLC on her account) I thought for a split-second that only she would have access.

    EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
Sign In or Register to comment.