Options

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record Available Now

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So far pretty disappointed in clothing.

Also the necessity of a work bench and stopping to combine items is a time sink. But then they put them almost everywhere.... odd. Thank god you can skip the movie.

Zombies seem more aggressive.

But still same ole fun DR. Dying for some PC coop!

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »

You sir must have missed the footie pajamas.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »

Tuxedo, full beard, and a showgirl's hat. Win.
    mojojoeo wrote:
    Also the necessity of a work bench and stopping to combine items is a time sink. But then they put them almost everywhere.... odd. Thank god you can skip the movie.

One of the things I've found about the work benches is that they generally have items you can combine nearby. In one maintenance room there might be some fireworks on the shelf, and just outside is a lead pipe. Or there may be a guitar nearby on a stage while in the maintenance room there's an amplifier. You get the idea.

Speaking of fireworks and lead pipes... best combo weapon ever.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Anyone played co-op on the 360 yet? We've had this annoying bug where the guest loses connection to the host anytime the host saves... :?

Klyka and I had the same issue during our time on 360. We didn't get the complete all case files in coop achievement as my disconnects sometimes happened just before a case file began and pretty much ended ( a couple are just cutscene fillers ).

Hopefully a patch will be incoming and if nothing else we should be able to get around it by not saving when it asks you during / after case files and just save in bathrooms.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »

Tuxedo, full beard, and a showgirl's hat. Win.
    mojojoeo wrote:

One of the things I've found about the work benches is that they generally have items you can combine nearby. In one maintenance room there might be some fireworks on the shelf, and just outside is a lead pipe. Or there may be a guitar nearby on a stage while in the maintenance room there's an amplifier. You get the idea.

Speaking of fireworks and lead pipes... best combo weapon ever.

This I must see!

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Another awesome game where main-plot continuing DLC is platform exclusive.

Yay.

:?

which main plot continuing dlc are you referring to exactly? nothing that ive seen announced seems to fall into that category...

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Another awesome game where main-plot continuing DLC is platform exclusive.

Yay.

:?

which main plot continuing dlc are you referring to exactly? nothing that ive seen announced seems to fall into that category...

Case : West is the epilogue to the game.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i thought the story of that was "frank west is here... now kill zombies!"

i also havent looked at anything about it really at all, so im probably wrong.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    id just be happy that we got the game at all this time around. if it bothers you that much boycott the game and be done with it. i dont see how its something to get all worked up over. different platforms get exclusive stuff all the time.

anyway, heres a general question. if i follow the case files will i find zombrex along the way or is that a separate thing you have to go out of your way to do? spoiler the answer if it requires it i guess...

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    id just be happy that we got the game at all this time around. if it bothers you that much boycott the game and be done with it. i dont see how its something to get all worked up over. different platforms get exclusive stuff all the time.

I'm not worked up, I did buy the game. I'm just disappointed.

yea i agree with you. i mean i would have bought case zero and case west if they were on the ps3 im sure. but hell, im already going to pump a billion hours into DR2 and still never get half the trophies in it, so i guess my disappointment is less "woe is me" and more "eh, whatever".

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ignoring say a GOTY edition that integrates the 2, for me the ship has sailed on Case Zero. To the 360 owners; now that you have the main course is there much of a point to replaying the appetizer (other than achievement points)?

Now more co-op insanity with everyone's favorite war reporter, that could have replayability potential.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    anyway, heres a general question. if i follow the case files will i find zombrex along the way or is that a separate thing you have to go out of your way to do? spoiler the answer if it requires it i guess...

anyone? i guess i should just keep going and see, but the thing about time continuing and you missing stuff and having to restart makes me hesitant. maybe thats just me... i guess i need to let go and just do what i can.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

anyone? i guess i should just keep going and see, but the thing about time continuing and you missing stuff and having to restart makes me hesitant. maybe thats just me... i guess i need to let go and just do what i can.

Zombrex does not appera in the case files as far as I have gotten and Poor katey turned.

There are enough lying around the mall, you just have to find it. Also some psycos have it on them as well.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Ignoring say a GOTY edition that integrates the 2, for me the ship has sailed on Case Zero. To the 360 owners; now that you have the main course is there much of a point to replaying the appetizer (other than achievement points)?

Now more co-op insanity with everyone's favorite war reporter, that could have replayability potential.

All Case Zero does is establish the relationship between Chuck and Katey (and give you some easy achievements). I played it through until I got to level 5 (the max level you can get to) and then beat it. I didn't bother after that. I couldn't have been arsed to go around and save ALL the survivors JUST for achievements.

I just can't see myself ever going back to it now that I have the full game... but for 5 bucks I got a good three solid hours enjoyment out of it. I'd say that's money well spent.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Am I the only one whom combining does not come easy to? I've guessed at a couple, but I'm probably gonna be waiting on Combo Cards an awful lot. I guess I'm not Macguyver enough.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    So how does Co-Op work, exactly? It seems like I can import my SP Chuck into MP, but I can't export it back out.

That kinda sucks. :(

whoever hosts gets story progression and everything just like theyre playing single player, whoever joins gets to keep their pp, exp and stuff but cant keep and story progression. i dont know what happens if you import your single player guy into someone elses game if youre partway into the game and then save and then play single player again though.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    So how does Co-Op work, exactly? It seems like I can import my SP Chuck into MP, but I can't export it back out.

That kinda sucks. :(

whoever hosts gets story progression and everything just like theyre playing single player, whoever joins gets to keep their pp, exp and stuff but cant keep and story progression. i dont know what happens if you import your single player guy into someone elses game if youre partway into the game and then save and then play single player again though.
    I had jumped into a coop game rather than starting up the story as my first attempt. When quitting it asks you to save at which point the save "title" becomes "Co-op Character" (rather than the case you are on.) I then "restarted" this save slot in story mode where I kept my cash/pp. Based on the save title I'm assuming if I were to jump into a coop game again then I would lose my story progression. I'll test later today as I already failed the story case. I couldn't make it to Shank's and back in time for the beginning of Case 2 I believe.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Am I the only one whom combining does not come easy to? I've guessed at a couple, but I'm probably gonna be waiting on Combo Cards an awful lot. I guess I'm not Macguyver enough.

Just print off the Wikipedia list of all the weapon combinations, thats what I'm doing when I start the game. So when I pick up a weapon I can just check to see what to combine it with and what it does.

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Allforce wrote: »

Just print off the Wikipedia list of all the weapon combinations, thats what I'm doing when I start the game. So when I pick up a weapon I can just check to see what to combine it with and what it does.

Eh... I don't usually like looking stuff up unless I'm truly stuck or have already played through the game... far too often there's a spoiler tucked in along with whatever info you're trying to look up. Besides, it's a lot more rewarding when you Macguyver shit up yourself.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    every woman in this game says the word 'chuck' with hatred emphisis.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Eh... I don't usually like looking stuff up unless I'm truly stuck or have already played through the game... far too often there's a spoiler tucked in along with whatever info you're trying to look up. Besides, it's a lot more rewarding when you Macguyver shit up yourself.

Aside from the fact that the contents of a maintenance room can almost always be combined, one thing that helps is checking a pawn shop. They often have some combined weapons, and it's relatively easy to figure out what they're made out of.

yalborap on
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Everybody in this game just seems to hate Chuck for no reason. Even if you win that minigame at the beginning everyone says that you did terribly.

Jakorian on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    yalborap wrote: »

Aside from the fact that the contents of a maintenance room can almost always be combined, one thing that helps is checking a pawn shop. They often have some combined weapons, and it's relatively easy to figure out what they're made out of.

:^:

I noticed the Pawn Shop had combined weapons in Case Zero... still looking for the right parts for that Electric Rake :lol:

Is the stuff in the maintenance room really always combinable? The first maintenance room was obvious, but I couldn't figure out the second. What the heck does a Spear combine with?

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Anyone played co-op on the 360 yet? We've had this annoying bug where the guest loses connection to the host anytime the host saves... :?

Klyka and I had the same issue during our time on 360. We didn't get the complete all case files in coop achievement as my disconnects sometimes happened just before a case file began and pretty much ended ( a couple are just cutscene fillers ).

Hopefully a patch will be incoming and if nothing else we should be able to get around it by not saving when it asks you during / after case files and just save in bathrooms.

Ya we tried that but it still lost connection in regular bathrooms too. I also had trouble just joining him at one point too. Hopefully they sort it out cause coop is fun as hell.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yalborap wrote: »

Yeah honestly I am not cheating on this and printing out a list - I don't really see the point in that (one exception being a couple I knew ahead of time from screenshots and such). You can figure out a lot of the combos by trial and error with the objects outside maintenance rooms. I've noticed most have two combos in the near vacinity (usually one deliberately inside, and another with stuff very close outside). Plus you can always look at posters and such to get the combo cards.

Edit:
    Is the stuff in the maintenance room really always combinable? The first maintenance room was obvious, but I couldn't figure out the second. What the heck does a Spear combine with?

As I said above, if the items are not *in* the room they are usually super close by. I'd suggest for example your spear - put that on the table and then grab every combinable object in the near vacinity and see if you can combo them with the spear.

Also, if I'm remembering right, the combo weapon for the spear is *awesome* (not super awesome combat-wise, but just an awesome concept :P)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so on the case file: the facts how are you supposed to
    beat the boss on the roof, shooting him from afar does min damage but when i get close up top with my laser sword it doesnt even touch him and he goes all big boss on my ass, am i suppose to switch to hand to hand? if so how the hell do i do that without A: throwing all my inventory away and b: reading the manual? (because its all the way over there and im all the way here.)

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Items that are combineable have little wrench icons, and you can always just put something on the workbench and then cycle through your inventory to see if anything else you have combos with it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If you put an item on the bench will it stay there as long as you don't hit a load screen?

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If you put an item on the bench will it stay there as long as you don't hit a load screen?

Yup (cutscenes may reset it though)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would LOVE a mode that lets you replay the entire game with the Overtime 'difference'
    Being mauled by a hoarde of super zombies is actually pretty terrifying, I only survived with a sliver of my health one time by quickly exectuting the QTE, leg sweeping a few then quickly clambering up onto a souvenier stall.

And all you people playing DR1 escorting, you are all doing it wrong unless you use the wresting moves to your advantage when escorting survivors. It's a damn good tactic to grab one of your survivors and do that running/throw thing so they mow down any zombies in your path, then put a 'go there' marker through the cleared path. I made it a point to always pick up the first survivor and get Frank to literally throw her at her husband.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jakorian wrote: »
    Everybody in this game just seems to hate Chuck for no reason. Even if you win that minigame at the beginning everyone says that you did terribly.

Yeah, I found this strange too. I came second, and just thought it would have been different if I won. But I watched a friend play the opening and come first, and it seemed almost exactly the same.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Haikira wrote: »

Yeah, I found this strange too. I came second, and just thought it would have been different if I won. But I watched a friend play the opening and come first, and it seemed almost exactly the same.

Yeah I attributed that to laziness in not wanting to branch dialog. I won it and while they do congratulate you for winning, everyone else says you did a shitty job afterwards.

Plus I found after failing a case and starting over, if you skip the first cutscene you skip that entire minigame which seemed a little dumb to me.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    so on the case file: the facts how are you supposed to
    beat the boss on the roof, shooting him from afar does min damage but when i get close up top with my laser sword it doesnt even touch him and he goes all big boss on my ass, am i suppose to switch to hand to hand? if so how the hell do i do that without A: throwing all my inventory away and b: reading the manual? (because its all the way over there and im all the way here.)

The way I beat him was -
    He cant disarm the MMA nail gloves so you can use those to punch him, so I'd assume the knife + boxing gloves will be useful. But when I fought him I stood on the edge of the plank/platofrm you use to climb to him (the point closest to the square area so he can't shoot you) and just wailed on him with machineguns while he rolled around and shot the floor.

Also his death is pretty awesome. Definatley very James Bond or a textboox Action Movie Villain death

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Yeah I attributed that to laziness in not wanting to branch dialog. I won it and while they do congratulate you for winning, everyone else says you did a shitty job afterwards.

Plus I found after failing a case and starting over, if you skip the first cutscene you skip that entire minigame which seemed a little dumb to me.

I think they're just razzing on Chuck because he doesn't spend his winnings on THEM (pretty sure they're prostitutes based upon the dialogue I got when I went into their room).

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I think they're just razzing on Chuck because he doesn't spend his winnings on THEM (pretty sure they're prostitutes based upon the dialogue I got when I went into their room).

Those girls are noted to just mess with everyone like that. But isn't it obvious in the main game that everyone he meets hates Chuck because he was
    seen on TV letting the zombies go?

Yes it's a spoiler for the beginning of the game but I was surprised at it when it happened, so, yeah.

Damn, in overtime I literally said out loud during the first cutscene
    "TK! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!"
    Man, that guy is just the douchiest dickbag of an asshole. I actually gave him the thumbs up in one cutscene because I approved of his sheer commitment to being a completle asshole, and he didn't even have the excuse of being AS crazy as most people in Fortune City.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    soooo glad I rented this.

Coop is bugged the fuck out, whenever you save the guy you are playing with gets dropped. Also apparently you can take your single player dude into coop but then if you level up you can't take him back into your campaign which is ridiculous.

Plus the boss fights are just as ridiculous as ever. Finished Case 1, went to do the rescue some dude in a bathroom missions, turned out it was actually a boss fight and this guy is just jumping all over the place and immediately kills me, I wasn't able to hurt him at all.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    soooo glad I rented this.

Coop is bugged the fuck out, whenever you save the guy you are playing with gets dropped. Also apparently you can take your single player dude into coop but then if you level up you can't take him back into your campaign which is ridiculous.

is this a 360 only thing? it definitely wasnt happening to us last night on the ps3 one...

Ah_Pook on