As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox 360 Issues - Time to replace

PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my trusty xbox gives me the 3 red light salute after 3 years of service, might take it apart and have a look if I can fix it, failing that I'm going to need to replace it.

Now my current one is the Elite that they sold around 2-3 years ago with the 120gig hard drive. While having a casual browse I notice they have new shaped models around these days that come in 4gig and 250 gig flavors.

Is my current harddrive suitable for the 4gig model? Are both HDMI cable able? Is it a pain to transfer from one harddrive to another? What are the main differences? Not really being a console gamer ive not kept up with the developments!

Prime on

• Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    You cannot use your old hard drive on the new slim. They have a transfer cable that makes everything really easy to move from one 360 to the other. The slim does have an HDMI port but does not come with a cable. To me, the hard drive on the Slim isn't very easy to disconnect like it was on the Elite types. It's behind a panel and is kind of annoying to get out. The Slim is a little quieter and runs a bit cooler than the old ones.
    And don't get the 4 gig. Unless you have a whole bunch of USB drives you use as memory then I guess you can get by. The new Slims have no memory card slots.

. on
    Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can use an old hard drive with a slim, you just have to remove it from it's casing.

It'll be a little loose inside of the slim, but you can buy cheap plastic spacers online specifically for that purpose.

Fuck Microsoft and their greediculously overpriced hard drives, grab a 4GB slim, throw you old hard drive in it, and save yourself a hundred bucks.

As for you other questions, both support HDMI, and it's really easy to transfer data. You can buy the transfer kit for $20 (plug one end into your old hard drive, plug the other into one of the USB ports of the slim), or you can transfer most of the data on thumbdrives.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you see an old Arcade around (ie not the new form factor), just pick that up. It's RROD-immune, and everything you have will work on it without any trouble. It has hdmi!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No wifi though.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Definitely try to fix it first. Its dead simple, and costs like $2 in materials.

illig on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No wifi though.

which he'd either not need or have the dongle for from the old xbox

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cheers for the advice all pretty much told me what I need to know. Going to try to repair at the weekend. SOLVED!

Prime on