As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Berserk Series!

• Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    Looking at this now I am very excited... looks absolutely stunning.

Problem is; the dubbed english voice actors were brilliant in the anime series, especially for Guts and Griffiths. I don't know how they will replace that, and I really hope they make it as gory as the first films, and that they have the 100 man fight scene.

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    Isn't the first one due out very soon?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Isn't the first one due out very soon?

February 4th or 5th. Can't remember which.

Haven't seen anything about International release yet.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Johannen wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    The bigger problem with Berserk as a TV series though is that Miura works so slow you know it'll either be a filler-ending or cliffhanger. :-/

You just described every anime ever. Japan hates closure for some reason.

Except for Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo... which, in my eyes, had the most perfect endings to their respective plots possible.

Which had the advantage of being original stories. It's usually the adaptations of popular ongoing mangas where we end up getting screwed for endings. It's not as big a deal in Japan, since at least they're still getting manga releases, but over here it may not even be getting released.

Really there's tons of series that have perfectly good endings, as long as you're watching original stories.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Really wish Dark Horse would speed up their releases. Seemed like forever between 34 and 35. By this time next year we should be at 36 :(

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Really wish Dark Horse would speed up their releases. Seemed like forever between 34 and 35. By this time next year we should be at 36 :(

They slowed it up because it slowed up in Japan.

Volume 35 came out in Japan in Sept 2010. Volume 36 came out in Sept 2011. We've basically caught up.

e: There is a single chapter which is not already in a published volume in Japan, and that volume came out a little over two months ago.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote:
    Johannen wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    The bigger problem with Berserk as a TV series though is that Miura works so slow you know it'll either be a filler-ending or cliffhanger. :-/

Except for Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo... which, in my eyes, had the most perfect endings to their respective plots possible.

Which had the advantage of being original stories. It's usually the adaptations of popular ongoing mangas where we end up getting screwed for endings. It's not as big a deal in Japan, since at least they're still getting manga releases, but over here it may not even be getting released.

Really there's tons of series that have perfectly good endings, as long as you're watching original stories.

That, or if they just kinda ignore a large chunk of the manga. Claymores and AKIRA are both pretty decent in terms of closure, they just tell diverge pretty wildly from the source material.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    redx wrote:
    Kana wrote:
    Johannen wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

That, or if they just kinda ignore a large chunk of the manga. Claymores and AKIRA are both pretty decent in terms of closure, they just tell diverge pretty wildly from the source material.

FF9 has the happiest ending ever out of anything I've seen come from that country. It's my favorite Final Fantasy.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    and there's manga that actually end too. So, there's like, Monster. I a huge fan of comic book and manga series that end. Fucking berserk. I like it, but it's gets to be a slog, particularly once you catch up.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote:

They slowed it up because it slowed up in Japan.

Volume 35 came out in Japan in Sept 2010. Volume 36 came out in Sept 2011. We've basically caught up.

e: There is a single chapter which is not already in a published volume in Japan, and that volume came out a little over two months ago.

Ahh. For some reason I thought we were way behind here in the states.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Berserk is the only manga I've ever bothered to read, since it seems to lack most of the usual Japanese features when it comes to presenting the story(stupid cutesy shit, shitty jokes, improbably hairdos etc.). Of course, a pseudo-western world does wonders to the plausibility of the story as well, not counting the big-ass sword and the demons(which get a pass for being a supernatural element).

Although, I'm starting to think that I should be concerned about the fact that I've never been bothered by gore, including the rather gratuitous amount in Berserk.

Regardless, it's a pain that Miura releases new chapters so slowly. This whole plotline of getting to the Elfland or whatever has been going on now, what, 2 years? More?

As for the new animated version, why can't they just start after the Eclipse? Does the beginning need a retreading, really? Much cool shit happens after Eclipse, that I'd be interested to see animated.

• Options
    Resurrecting the thread

Now that it's out on DVD and Bluray theres, uh, ways of watching it, although I don't believe there's any subtitles available yet.

Anyway the kinda low-quality animation on characters is still a little distracting, although it improves a lot during purely talky scenes. The nice thing though is thanks to that weird CG-y look on characters the directors free to really go nuts with the battles, there's some really nice directing on some of the smaller fights where the camera's following behind horses charges and stuff that could never be done in real life. I really liked the Guts vs. Caska fight, although it's short obviously.

the gore and nudity quotient is very Berserk

Also it's only like an hour and 10 minutes or so, so much more like a long OVA than a full movie

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Resurrecting the thread

Now that it's out on DVD and Bluray theres, uh, ways of watching it, although I don't believe there's any subtitles available yet.

Anyway the kinda low-quality animation on characters is still a little distracting, although it improves a lot during purely talky scenes. The nice thing though is thanks to that weird CG-y look on characters the directors free to really go nuts with the battles, there's some really nice directing on some of the smaller fights where the camera's following behind horses charges and stuff that could never be done in real life. I really liked the Guts vs. Caska fight, although it's short obviously.

the gore and nudity quotient is very Berserk

Also it's only like an hour and 10 minutes or so, so much more like a long OVA than a full movie

Waiting for english - I don't want the experience sullied.

Is it covering material from before the eclipse again? Golden Age/Era or whatever it was called?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    actually I was wrong, there ARE subtitles, I just didn't realize I had to manually load them :rotate:

Yeah it's golden age. Guts meeting the band to that assassination attempt, basically. I think things are rearranged a little, or at least a bit compressed but it's been a while so I might be wrong on that.

Also now that I'm rewatching it WITH subtitles... I really appreciate the castle designs. 4C seems like they actually did their research, the castles are actually properly designed with murder holes over the gates and stuff like that

• Options
    Man I forgot how goddamn useless Charlotte was

Also I forgot how much the triangle between Griffith, Casca, and Guts goes both ways, if you know what I mean

I did NOT forgot how depressing it is to see the band of the hawk all awesome, though.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Please do not discuss piracy on the boards.

• Options
    While this is resurrected, might as well note it:

Good news - new chapter this week
    Bad news - apparently it's the start of a 3 chapter mini-arc which will flash back to Guts' past instead of moving forward in the plot.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    So I'm totally going to watch this over the weekend with a friend of mine and I came up with a great drinking game... drink every time something dies.

Although hearing that it's only an hour and ten minutes has me a bit worried for our livers...

EDIT: Talking about the movie of course.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Why do they keep rehashing Guts' pre-Black Swordsman life? I get the need for the backstory, but it's already been covered once. A lot of supremely cool stuff happens after the Eclipse.

Also, Miura is probably never gonna finish the series. That man is close to GRRM in the pace he puts to his work.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Why do they keep rehashing Guts pre-Black Swordsman life? I get the need for the backstory, but it's already been covered once. A lot of supremely cool stuff happens after the Eclipse.

because it has been 14 years since they did it, and they want to start from the beginning.

The intro apparently has the death knight, the witch girl, and a bunch of other references to the fact that they plan to continue well beyond the golden age.

It just feels like it is gonna be 2-3 years before we get there.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Why do they keep rehashing Guts pre-Black Swordsman life? I get the need for the backstory, but it's already been covered once. A lot of supremely cool stuff happens after the Eclipse.

because it has been 14 years since they did it, and they want to start from the beginning.

The intro apparently has the death knight, the witch girl, and a bunch of other references to the fact that they plan to continue well beyond the golden age.

It just feels like it is gonna be 2-3 years before we get there.

And at least they are scheduled to cover all of the Golden Arc this year. Film 2 is slated for later this month and FIlm 3 is going to be later in 2012.

So who knows, we may actually get there this time!

• Options
    Personally I'm waiting for the Conviction Arc. It has a lot of memorable Guts moments, and plenty of great fights. It'll be really damn brutal if they follow the source material though.

• Options
    That was really the high point in writing for all of berserk I think. At least so far. Conviction and lost children.

From the first movie I'm kinda wishing they had gone a bit more game of thrones and cut out one of the battles and added in more talking

But that might just be my memory forgetting how the group dynamic developed over the golden age

• Options
    Well, the Lost Children happens during the Conviction Arc. It's kinda important in leading things along.

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I only liked the first part of the Conviction arc when the Vatican chases down Guts. The second part at the Tower of Worship was...hard to swallow. The main antagonist was, in my view, deliberately kept alive to stall Guts though the narrative had already deemed him dead. As such, the last part was infuriating to read as I felt the author was being "unfair" towards our hero (similar to how R.A. Salvatore kept getting Artemis Entreri out of deadly situations just so he could return and do battle with Drizzt. Drizzt was outranking him in power by a lot and every time he propped up, it felt like the author was keeping a hand over him even though the narrative dedicated that Drizzt could easily dispatch him).

Yogo on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    i'm really liking the animation. it's still a bit cheesy with the background characters, but the action scenes are great. Can't wait to see Guts kill a hundred men in the next movie.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Where can I see this?

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Where can I see this?

Import a DVD or Blu Ray from Japan, or check your local japan-friendly stores for a copy. There are english subs on the disc.

There is no US release yet.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    So isn't the next one coming out in Japan soon?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    So isn't the next one coming out in Japan soon?

On the 23rd

Here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGw_pxittJA

English title is Berserk Golden Age Arc II: The Capture of Doldrey

Judging from that trailer it's going a bit further than I expected the second movie to. Figured that
    the second movie would end when Guts left, and the third movie would do everything until jumping back to "present" this time including the other apostle fight and the assassins that the King sends out. But this movie goes even further, so I'm wondering if the third movie might deal with some of the "present" stuff, too

Jragghen on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Watched it last night. Maybe I haven't watched the series in a while, but this OVA seemed to move really damn fast. It feels like they are going through The Band of the Hawk Arc as fast as possible so they can get to stuff that hasn't been put to animation yet.

I was hoping for a complete re-do of the series so my stupid friends that couldn't look past some of the Animation of the first series could get the same experience. I think people new to the series would be kind of lost on what is going on, and wouldn't give a shit about most of the characters like Judeu, Pippin, Ricket and Corkus.

And some of the animation make the characters have really weird proportions at times. I can't remember what scene it was exactly, but Guts' and Griffith's hands look cut off in one scene and it was really jarring. Zodd would go back and forth from looking cool as shit, to just not right. When characters turn their heads their necks do weird things at times. I didn't want to be one of the "The originals better!" people. Hmph

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Kana wrote: »
    Johannen wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

Both seasons of Stand Alone Complex had endings packed with closure. One more so than two.

Patlabor didn't, but that was a deliberate choice in order to allow for multiple films.

:)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    Any idea on when a U.S. release will happen?

WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    histronic wrote: »
    Any idea on when a U.S. release will happen?

Viz has the rights, intends to publish sometime in Fall 2012.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Buddies wrote: »
    Watched it last night. Maybe I haven't watched the series in a while, but this OVA seemed to move really damn fast. It feels like they are going through The Band of the Hawk Arc as fast as possible so they can get to stuff that hasn't been put to animation yet.

I was hoping for a complete re-do of the series so my stupid friends that couldn't look past some of the Animation of the first series could get the same experience. I think people new to the series would be kind of lost on what is going on, and wouldn't give a shit about most of the characters like Judeu, Pippin, Ricket and Corkus.

And some of the animation make the characters have really weird proportions at times. I can't remember what scene it was exactly, but Guts' and Griffith's hands look cut off in one scene and it was really jarring. Zodd would go back and forth from looking cool as shit, to just not right. When characters turn their heads their necks do weird things at times. I didn't want to be one of the "The originals better!" people. Hmph

I did notice a few awkward moments in the animation, but it wasn't too apparent so I didn't mind really. The backgrounds were great, and the characters themselves looked nice.

Regarding the members of the band of the Hawk; I thought Corkus was implemented fairly well. He got enough screen time to show that he was the so called regular fellow out of the bunch. Him chastising Guts for being a supposed brainless killer played well into Guts' own development over the course of the film. Not enough Judeau and Pippin though.

Lucid on
  • Options
    Bringing back this thread, now that the third film has been released in Japan. Who knows when it'll actually be available for import for the rest of the world though. Some of the articles about people reviewing it have been remarking on the level of violence, but also they seem to have nailed the mixture of CGI and drawn animation so it works better than in the past two films. We'll see how it is once the film is in circulation.

• Options
    From my understanding, what they've done is they've made the bodies CG and the faces hand-drawn, which allows them to use the relatively inexpensive method of animating, but still have less of that weird non-human feeling in the facial emotion.

Also, second movie has finally gotten a release date state-side - August 6th.

• Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Bringing back this thread, now that the third film has been released in Japan. Who knows when it'll actually be available for import for the rest of the world though. Some of the articles about people reviewing it have been remarking on the level of violence, but also they seem to have nailed the mixture of CGI and drawn animation so it works better than in the past two films. We'll see how it is once the film is in circulation.

It's really baffling to me why their animation seems so inconsistent and rushed. Comparing this to Eva 1.0/2.0/3.0 makes it look amateurish.
    There are some nice looking scenes but they are very few and far between. Additionally, they left out very iconic scenes like Griffith staring down Foss, burning the Queen alive, Zodd assisting Guts (this is one of the first implications of causality), etc.

(do we need to spoiler tag here? I dunno, whatever)
    They even left out the scene where Griffith is bathing in the stream and he starts tearing at his own skin remembering selling himself to Gennon, which makes the scene where he kills him during the battle at Doldrey so weightless.

I just found it disappointing. I know that I can find these scenes elsewhere, but I want more people to like Berserk, and these movies are missing some of the things that really gripped me. Instead it kind of feels like I'm watching a very glossy recap, when it could have been so much more.

Wydrion on
  • Options
    Honestly, I'd be fine with them rushing through the Golden Age part if it meant they put more focus on what follows(I think the series is supposed to continue the story past that?). No idea on how well they'll adhere to the comics though.

• Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'd be fine with them rushing through the Golden Age part if it meant they put more focus on what follows(I think the series is supposed to continue the story past that?). No idea on how well they'll adhere to the comics though.

I don't know if I could rationalize them doing a shitty job with the first three movies because they'll suddenly 'care' more when the story to tell is fresher, but one can hope, I guess.

One thing that would have enhanced the movies so much more is if they had involved Susumu Hirasawa's music in the actual movie, instead of just having us listen to the first half of it in the intros. The second part of it is soaring and epic, it seems like it would make any battle scene that much more awesome, but instead they just use it in trailers to get us hyped up before delivering us a decidedly quieter product.

I would go so far as to say that the movies would have been improved if they re-used Forces, Signs, and the other pieces.