As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Music: to 2008!

• Options
    RaceCarGrinRaceCarGrin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    yeah i heard the single its fuckin great, i liked the 'future is inter-disciplinary or not' it was really relaxing but not like the frog eyes i love. this new album will surely be epic.

RaceCarGrin on
    I dont Murder? ;-)
  • Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    That's kind of how I feel about it too. The first three songs I could live without, but Intervention and the next two or three are great. I think Intervention and Black Wave/Bad Vibrations are my favorite tracks so far.

That is precisely how I feel.

The first three tracks are mediocre. After that the CD really picks up. I love it overall though, I think the good tracks far outweigh and even carry the bad ones.

I also think the mixing is weird and the vocals are obfuscated on some of the tracks. I love Neon Bible though.

That's interesting, because there are a lot of people saying that Keep the Car Running (track 2) is one of the best songs they've ever done. I think everyone thinks that the songs are hit and miss, but nobody agrees which songs are hits and which ones are misses.

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SyphilisaurusSyphilisaurus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow, I can't believe people don't like Missed the Boat, really goes to show how people can just be looking for something completely different when listening to music. As for me, I have trouble listening to the whole Modest Mouse CD just because I want to keep listening to Missed the Boat over and over again. Weird.

As for Arcade Fire, 2 of the first 3 songs aren't that great, but I really like Keep the Car Running. The CD is solid with Intervention, Antichrist Television Blues and Windowsill. And it took a while, but I finally decided the My Body is a Cage is a fantastic way to end the album. I enjoyed it.

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drag wrote: »
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    That's kind of how I feel about it too. The first three songs I could live without, but Intervention and the next two or three are great. I think Intervention and Black Wave/Bad Vibrations are my favorite tracks so far.

That is precisely how I feel.

The first three tracks are mediocre. After that the CD really picks up. I love it overall though, I think the good tracks far outweigh and even carry the bad ones.

I also think the mixing is weird and the vocals are obfuscated on some of the tracks. I love Neon Bible though.

That's interesting, because there are a lot of people saying that Keep the Car Running (track 2) is one of the best songs they've ever done. I think everyone thinks that the songs are hit and miss, but nobody agrees which songs are hits and which ones are misses.

So can it can be agreed then that this album is perhaps, a bit unfocused?

And for the record, I love Keep the Car Running

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Unfocused? Not sure I would go that far, but uneven like Drez said, certainly.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I finally decided to pick up the Beirut CD. I've only put it through a couple of listens, but it is really, really good.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I'm listening to Illinois finally.

How did I not know about this before?

Also, on Arcade Fire: "My Body Is A Cage" is fantastic. Still getting acquainted with most of the album but right now I'm settling on "roughly as good as Funeral." I just can't wait for more from this band.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fuck I really want to see The Arcade Fire when they're here in early May but tickets are like $100 on eBay.

bruin on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Metric should have a new album out before the end of the year, they're doing a little tour trying out their new material across CanWest

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    electronicmajielectronicmaji __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Neon Bible doesn't come close to funeral. Funeral was album of the year at its time, practically flawless without a bad cut on it. Some of the songs Neon Bible are filler taking the voice of David Bowie and guitar of Bruce Springsteen. Many have previously stated the new album is a change to a different sound that previous albums sounded a lot like David Bowies early stuff I agree. Neon Bible is a album of stuff that is primarily Springsteen sounding stuff but the first few tracks dont fit in with the rest of the album.

Ultimately it might go on a top ten of the year list but I think it will be realy lucky to get that with all he good albums coming out this year. New Frog Eyes, New Wolf Parade (they're wrapping up recording in may) plus were overdue for a Sufjan Stevens album and Iron and Wine has a new Ep.

we already have two 9.0 + rated albums by pitchfork standards. The new LCD sound and the Panda Bear album. We also have a bunch of stuff in the 8.5-8.9 range like the Deerhoof, Deerhunter, Of Montreal, and new Modest Mouse albums. Not to mention the new dinosaur Jr. album which is in serious contention for a top 5 spot already...

frankly their are too many factors to call this album as good as funeral.

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I listened to the new Modest Mouse today. Actually I'm lying -- I started listening to it, then turned it off about 4 or 5 songs in so I could listen to the new El-P again, which is also independent and infinitely better. Then I listened to Neil Young and now I don't know when I'll ever get around to listening to the MM, because there's obviously lots of other stuff that I should really be spending my time on instead.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cel I thought you were a big Modest Mouse fan and also the new album is real good

Edit: Not that you can't be a big fan and dislike the album, but you should at least listen to the whole thing

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cel I thought you were a big Modest Mouse fan and also the new album is real good
    I am a big Modest Mouse fan, but I dunno -- I was listening to it and I just wanted to listen to something else and/or listen to older Modest Mouse. I think I was mainly disappointed that it just sounded really familiar and made me want to listen to Good News again, so I got frustrated and put something else on. I really can't stand it when an artist sounds too similar from album to album. I'm sure I'll give it a good listen eventually, but my initial impression isn't that good.

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i like the new arcade fire at least as much as funeral, if not more. but then, i like bruce springsteen more than i like david bowie so it's not all that surprising. antichrist television superstar is so amazing.

i don't really get the hate for the first 3 tracks. neon bible started off as my least favorite, but it's really grown on me. keep the car running is simply fantastic, and my second favorite new song on here. black mirror isn't my favorite but i would still probably place it somewhere in the middle of the road on this album.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Podly wrote: »

What the fuck? He's like a doubly-deranged Prince.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yep. That's the dude I saw in the abandoned warehouse/illegal art school/opium den.

All sorts of crazy.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    He also looks like a less dorky Jason Schwartzman.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    guys do you like the mountain goats? i like the mountain goats a whole lot. i would pretty much do anything john darnielle tells me to do.

i recently spent several hundred dollars on a flight from london to stockholm in order to catch one of the dates on their scandinavian tour :V

satansfingers on
  • Options
    PootPoot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is it wrong to get upset when I found out Ben Folds is opening for John Mayer? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I suggest you guys check out Patrick Wolf's new album Magic Position, it's pretty catchy. Also, I don't know if this really fits in to the Indie Music thread, but I thought you guys might like to know that Daft Punk is coming to the US this summer.

Yes. Daft Fucking Punk. Get your tickets NOW.

Poot on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    patrick wolf's new album is really really good. i've been listening to a ton of patrick wolf lately.

and i'm doomed to never see daft punk; i've just accepted it by this point.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    guys do you like the mountain goats? i like the mountain goats a whole lot. i would pretty much do anything john darnielle tells me to do.

i recently spent several hundred dollars on a flight from london to stockholm in order to catch one of the dates on their scandinavian tour :V

Sunset Tree is one of my faves, but from what I have heard of Get Lonely, it's very boring.

Jonis on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sunset Tree is definitely better than Get Lonely, but I don't think the latter is "boring". It's definitely more low key and subdued, especially after the extremely cathartic Sunset Tree. But if you spend some time with it it really grows on you.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Guys I'm not going to mince words -- this new Modest Mouse is, based on my now second listening, absolutely fucking horrible. God this is fucking hurting me to listen to.

• Options
    edited March 2007
    What don't you like about it? Do you like Lonesome Crowded West?

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Poot wrote: »
    I thought you guys might like to know that Daft Punk is coming to the US this summer.

Psh. Daft Punk is playing at my house.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I thought you guys might like to know that Daft Punk is coming to the US this summer.

We all have CD players, dude.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I don't like Lonesome Crowded West that much. It's too like soft rocky or something, and mainly the songwriting is just fucking atrocious. I hate these fucking songs and I can't get around it. It sounds like Modest Mouse with a touch of John Mayer or something, but really I'd rather just listen to John Mayer. It's seriously the worst album I've bothered to force myself to listen to in some time. I'll give it more listens, but as of right now I'd expect to hear it in a doctor's waiting room or something before I ever really gave it a solid listen.

• Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    I'd rather just listen to John Mayer.
    Well obviously.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Jonis wrote: »

Sunset Tree is one of my faves, but from what I have heard of Get Lonely, it's very boring.

get lonely is easily my least favorite of his albums. which is really saying something considering his monumental output. it got better on subsequent listens but it never got to the point that i'd rather listen to it than literally anything else he's released.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I don't like Lonesome Crowded West that much. It's too like soft rocky or something, and mainly the songwriting is just fucking atrocious. I hate these fucking songs and I can't get around it. It sounds like Modest Mouse with a touch of John Mayer or something, but really I'd rather just listen to John Mayer. It's seriously the worst album I've bothered to force myself to listen to in some time. I'll give it more listens, but as of right now I'd expect to hear it in a doctor's waiting room or something before I ever really gave it a solid listen.

Really? I think it's far too manic and spastic to be something you'd hear in a waiting room or like the adult contemporary station. I mean there are a couple of radio-friendly songs on the album, but then you've got stuff like March Into the Sea, Parting of the Sensory, Fly Trapped In a Jar, Education, Steam Engenius, Spitting Venom, and Invisible.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    if you don't like this, and you don't like lonesome crowded west, at what point were you a big modest mouse fan? if you hate this album so much i fail to see how you could've loved good news and now we're quickly running out of modest mouse albums.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

way to miss the LCD soundsystem reference

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

way to miss the LCD soundsystem reference

Beh.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    if you don't like this, and you don't like lonesome crowded west, at what point were you a big modest mouse fan? if you hate this album so much i fail to see how you could've loved good news and now we're quickly running out of modest mouse albums.

Well, I could see disliking the new one if you liked Good News and expected the new one to be similar or you expected them to go in more of an accessible direction.

I mean this album really is a return to the craziness and rawness of LCW, with a bit of the Good News studio wizardry thrown into the mix. So maybe he just likes Moon and Antarctica and Good News?

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    i can understand simply not liking the new album and loving other of their albums, but the level of vitriol is confusing.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So far Spitting Venom is my favorite song on that album.

Librarian on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    i can understand simply not liking the new album and loving other of their albums, but the level of vitriol is confusing.

You don't know celery and music, then.

Drez on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guys I'm not going to mince words -- this new Modest Mouse is, based on my now second listening, absolutely fucking horrible. God this is fucking hurting me to listen to.

I don't know, I kind of like this one at least a little more than the Good News.
    And I hated that CD save for 2 songs.

It'll never touch Moon and Antarctica. LCW is close, but on the whole I think M&A makes a better album start to finish.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I mean this album really is a return to the craziness and rawness of LCW, with a bit of the Good News studio wizardry thrown into the mix. So maybe he just likes Moon and Antarctica and Good News?
    Yeah -- M&A and Good News are my favorites, and then their other stuff is okay. This new one though -- I dunno, the waiting room thing was a joke, but it just sounds like they're dumbing the sound down or overly cleaning it up or something. Over-produced I think is my big complaint.

I did get a Fire it Up 7" file off the internet, which featured a non-album track along with Fire it Up (which is fucking horrible -- that song going into Florida nearly made me turn it off again last night), and the non-album track is basically what I wished the album sounded like.

This discussion has been closed.